Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 10, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #10,846 of 22,467
The headphone 3.5mm is stereo headphone output only. The 3.5mm SPDIF digital inputs are two channel SPDIF inputs only.

Hi Rob could you clarify :

1. Should the tip have one or two black rings ?
2. Does it matter if the cable is 75Ohms or not

Many thanks

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #10,847 of 22,467
Please excuse off topic, but this may be best place to ask.

While waiting for 2Go, I have been using the blue tooth connection to Hugo 2 when out and about.

NePLAYER, when using Bluetooth feature, shuts down when playing 192 res files. I have up sampling off. It is only when using Bluetooth (to Hugo 2, KEF, and even a small Bose).

I picked up Rachmanivov Symphony 2 and Rusalka Fantasy both purchased online, working fine w/o bluetooth.

Besides patience for 2Go, any suggestions? Searches on NePlayer haven't shown anything.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #10,848 of 22,467
Having to listen to my oppo 205 for music,feel proper depressed,can't listen to my Hugo 2 because Nintronics ordered the right cable but the wrong connections,it's been nearly two weeks now I've not been able to listen to my Hugo 2 through my speakers,fuming.I love Nintronics I get the most amazing deals but they need to be more switched on,I'm switched on in my job so why aren't they in their job?I'll always buy my kit from them highly recommended but please listen to what I say on the phone,I spend thousands on hi-fi

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #10,849 of 22,467
Having to listen to my oppo 205 for music,feel proper depressed,can't listen to my Hugo 2 because Nintronics ordered the right cable but the wrong connections,it's been nearly two weeks now I've not been able to listen to my Hugo 2 through my speakers,fuming.I love Nintronics I get the most amazing deals but they need to be more switched on,I'm switched on in my job so why aren't they in their job?

So, listening to the Oppo 205 is a terrible hardship?

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #10,850 of 22,467
So, listening to the Oppo 205 is a terrible hardship?
Think it needs burn in but to my ears it's bloody awful,Great for films though.Chord 4k player can you imagine it,they could well produce a state of the art player but because of the technology they have to pay Sony and whoever for the license,Arcam do it wish Chord could,I spoke to Arcam on the phone and to change to the latest hdmi spec costs them 80 grand

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #10,851 of 22,467
Fair point, although I have also ripped them out a few times getting stuck with the free flowing cable on a door handle and other objects. Perhaps there would be a less fixed option then, to more loosely attach it to on of the straps.

Ahh the dreaded door handle catching my cable and yanking the iems from my ears. Gets me often!

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #10,855 of 22,467
Ahh the dreaded door handle catching my cable and yanking the iems from my ears. Gets me often!

I run the cable inside my shirt, so there's no way it can catch on anything I walk past (unless it's a tree branch, at neck / face level, obviously)

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #10,857 of 22,467
I run the cable inside my shirt, so there's no way it can catch on anything I walk past (unless it's a tree branch, at neck / face level, obviously)

This will be a bit more difficult though if you want to carry the Hugo2Go in a bag with you, listening to it on the go. Hence I suggested some special strap that lets you insert the cable (obviously an optional feature for those who want to use it).

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #10,858 of 22,467
Hi Rob could you clarify :

1. Should the tip have one or two black rings ?
2. Does it matter if the cable is 75Ohms or not

Many thanks

For connecting to an M scaler you need a standard stereo 3.5mm (two black rings). My tests used cheap 3.5mm to RCA 1.5M cable - it was not 75 ohm, just a regular cheap wire - and it worked perfectly at 705 and 768 kHz. I used RCA to BNC adaptors too. In principle, a correct 75 ohm cable would be better technically - but - Hugo 2, in common with all my DAC's, employ a de-glitch digital circuitry - so the ringing that happens due to impedance mis-termination is ignored by my SPDIF receiver. Also, it has an adaptive feature where differing rise and fall times are automatically adjusted for too. This is why 768 kHz works with cheap cables.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #10,859 of 22,467
For connecting to an M scaler you need a standard stereo 3.5mm (two black rings). My tests used cheap 3.5mm to RCA 1.5M cable - it was not 75 ohm, just a regular cheap wire - and it worked perfectly at 705 and 768 kHz. I used RCA to BNC adaptors too. In principle, a correct 75 ohm cable would be better technically - but - Hugo 2, in common with all my DAC's, employ a de-glitch digital circuitry - so the ringing that happens due to impedance mis-termination is ignored by my SPDIF receiver. Also, it has an adaptive feature where differing rise and fall times are automatically adjusted for too. This is why 768 kHz works with cheap cables.

I have never detected any difference connecting my Hugo1, then Mojo, then Hugo2 to my DAPs, comparing small cheap 3.5mm leads, and purpose built 75ohm coax cable. Maybe I'm not deaf afterall?!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #10,860 of 22,467
I have never detected any difference connecting my Hugo1, then Mojo, then Hugo2 to my DAPs, comparing small cheap 3.5mm leads, and purpose built 75ohm coax cable. Maybe I'm not deaf afterall?!

Either that or you are both deaf. Just think what Rob could achieve if he wasn’t deaf. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back