Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #10,878 of 22,475
Why not? Rob was dreaming (or postulating the need for) 1 million taps since the '80s.

Yes you’re right.

Something thing to think about though, people asking for a Mscaler module for the Hugo2 but why does it have to be 1M taps why not “just” 150,000 taps to make a full 200,000 taps when combined with the module which would make it more affordable but with all that said I don’t think it would make sense for any scaler module because think of the effect on battery life it could have.

Now if you added a extra battery like poly did this could then make it possibly twice as big as the 2Go, then you also have the fact that people will be asking for a combined 2Go and Hugoscaler module and it all starts to get silly and impractical.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #10,879 of 22,475
Computer dummy question: I am using the Hugo 2 with Windows 10. Apparently the USB output from my computer is always 44.1 Khz (red led in the Hugo), even if the files have a higher sample rate. How can I change that? :triportsad:

Many thanks!

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #10,880 of 22,475
I say the sky's the limit - why dream of 1,000,000 taps when you can dream for 1,000,001 taps?

Million_Mr W LR.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #10,881 of 22,475
There has been some audio press comments that we may be seeing a resurgence in high quality sound interest (like in the 1970's) - and all this due to the smart-speaker phenomenon. I look forward to hearing the new Apple Homepod's acclaimed great sound regardless of the Apple Music streaming limitation. If Apple shows that SQ is a valuable differentiation then it will spur forward even better SQ from Amazon/Google/Sonos, etc. We'll see many millions spent on product development closing in on M-Scaler class sound quality. Could the audiophile space be yet another market to be decimated by Apple? Could we see $500 for an all-in M-Scaler-class sound system? ...not $25,000?
Any naysayers? Wanna bet against Apple?

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #10,882 of 22,475
There has been some audio press comments that we may be seeing a resurgence in high quality sound interest (like in the 1970's) - and all this due to the smart-speaker phenomenon. I look forward to hearing the new Apple Homepod's acclaimed great sound regardless of the Apple Music streaming limitation. If Apple shows that SQ is a valuable differentiation then it will spur forward even better SQ from Amazon/Google/Sonos, etc. We'll see many millions spent on product development closing in on M-Scaler class sound quality. Could the audiophile space be yet another market to be decimated by Apple? Could we see $500 for an all-in M-Scaler-class sound system? ...not $25,000?
Any naysayers? Wanna bet against Apple?
Yes, I will be a naysayer, because your proposed business case looks very weak. You reckon that apple would spend many millions, in order to develop a mscaler equivalent sound system for $500 (thats $500 retail, so maybe apple could make $100 profit per unit).
A simple break even point could then be $10,000,000 / $100 = 100,000 mscaler units to break even.
Quite a high business risk, considering that apple already know that their core phones business, can shift hundreds of millions of phones, and make billions of dollars profit each year.

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #10,883 of 22,475
I'm pretty deeply embedded in the Apple ecosystem, and have been since 1986.

Dunno what Apple will do to the audio industry with the new homepod, really good question. Apple tends to have pretty dramatic effects on industries it moves into (not always, but often enough).

But, I am SUPER HAPPY that Flac files play from my iPhone and iPad through the USB dongle to the Hugo2 so easily. Now that that works so well with the Hugo 2, I've been searching for a good flac player on iOS that can manage playlists well. No luck yet as none work the way I want them to manage playlists well (topic for a different thread, I'd guess).

Been listening to Sara Bareilles via the Hugo 2 for days and relishing the subtle vibrations in her voice and the airy notes from the piano that are generally smoothed over (the photoshop word "anti-aliasing keeps coming to mind) when listening to just my iphone and a 3.5mm plug dongle. Interestingly, I use the T1 almost exclusively with the Chord 2, (and the HD800 with the Jot), but when I listen to Lindsay Stirling stuff, I'm enjoying the cheap Fostex TR80/250 tons. Not really sure why.

Also, ordering some Meze 99's just for kicks, as I'm really curious how the sound of those headphones pair with the Hugo2.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #10,884 of 22,475
Yes, I will be a naysayer, because your proposed business case looks very weak. You reckon that apple would spend many millions, in order to develop a mscaler equivalent sound system for $500 (thats $500 retail, so maybe apple could make $100 profit per unit).
A simple break even point could then be $10,000,000 / $100 = 100,000 mscaler units to break even.
Quite a high business risk, considering that apple already know that their core phones business, can shift hundreds of millions of phones, and make billions of dollars profit each year.

I agree. Apple will not get into high end sq. They might claim that their products sound great and many consumers who don’t have experience with good sq will agree. That being said, I do think that some of the great work done by chord and other high end sq manufacturers will trickle down to less pricey products. High end sq will always be a niche market and will continue to improve in digital music reproduction. We’ve seen a huge leap recently with headphones in particular.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #10,885 of 22,475
I'm still waiting for my digital cable to use my Hugo 2 properly,my Chord interconnects just managed to fit with a squeeze,just wish Chord would open up the holes a bit more Or have the rca connections sticking out

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #10,886 of 22,475
I’m amazed with what my little Hugo 2 does with my hd800’s and lcd-i4’s. I’ve been using an aurender n100h to Berkeley alpha 2 dac with a trafomatic head 2 amp and was dumbfounded when I started using the h2. Amazing. I often listen to vinyl on my hd800’s and am still very impressed with what something as small and convenient as the hugo2 can do. Thank goodness for units like these and headphones especially after the little one has gone to bed.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #10,887 of 22,475
I’m amazed with what my little Hugo 2 does with my hd800’s and lcd-i4’s. I’ve been using an aurender n100h to Berkeley alpha 2 dac with a trafomatic head 2 amp and was dumbfounded when I started using the h2. Amazing. I often listen to vinyl on my hd800’s and am still very impressed with what something as small and convenient as the hugo2 can do. Thank goodness for units like these and headphones especially after the little one has gone to bed.
Wait till you hear the Chord Dave.
I really liked it when paired with Focal Utopia, unfortunately i didn't tried Utopia with my Hugo 2, but I've read the synergy is amazing.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #10,889 of 22,475
I always thought and still do the av amp is the heart of an av system just like I think the Chord Hugo 2 is the heart of any Hi-fi system,I'm paying for the direct connection to the dac with headphones,I've spent thousands on headphone amps but I ain't getting what I'm getting directly from the Hugo 2.Sick of listening to hi-fi dealers that haven't got a clue or that switched on they ripping us off with crap advice,if and only if the Chord Hugo 2 can't drive a certain headphone I like I'll buy another headphone.I'm loving my flare pro,I prefer i.e.m.s than full size headphones,they got all the detail transparency and the bass,Jesus who needs equalisers.Too be honest I'm bitter as that I spent 4 grand on the focal utopia and the Nordost cable when all I needed was the Chord Hugo 2 with a pair of flares pro,never will I ever listen to the hype,focal and tyll making out they were so special I was listening to a pair of Grande utopias lol,I owned the utopia speakers,no headphone comes close to those speakers.Maybe the nighthawk will be the closest I'll ever get to speaker like sound

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #10,890 of 22,475
I agree. Apple will not get into high end sq. They might claim that their products sound great and many consumers who don’t have experience with good sq will agree. That being said, I do think that some of the great work done by chord and other high end sq manufacturers will trickle down to less pricey products. High end sq will always be a niche market and will continue to improve in digital music reproduction. We’ve seen a huge leap recently with headphones in particular.
This is off-topic ... so the last post I will make. This excellent review on reddit should give the entire industry pause.... link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back