Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #7,441 of 22,537
with two 300 ohm headphones being simultaneously powered by H2 is that a "mW power out" to each headphone being half of what it would be if only one headphone was connected? so instead of 94mW to one 300 ohm headphone connected it would be 47mW to each of two 300 ohm headphones connected at once? that seems very odd having underpowered headphones. could someone kindly explain this to me. thanks.

The mW out is determined by the position of the volume control, and ultimately by the maximum power of the device. If you connect two 300 Ohm headphones the Chord will see the same load as one 150 Ohm headphone.

According to Chord:

Power output @ 1kHz 1% THD: 94mW 300Ω

740mW 32Ω

1050mW 8Ω

I expect that the Hugo2 can put out close to 200mW into 150 Ohms. Please check the specifications of your headphones for efficiency to ascertain whether or not that is sufficient.

At the end of the day, if it is not loud enough for you, then just turn up the volume, simple as that.

The Beyerdynamic DT-880 is specified to produce 96dB for 1mW. This means that the Hugo2 should be able to drive them to over 110dB which is plenty unless you intend to damage your hearing.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #7,442 of 22,537
After a few weeks, I am here to tell you the best and the most annoying things in the Hugo 2.

Its most annoying feature is it makes me want to buy a Dave.

Its best feature is it makes me want to wait until Dave 2 gets released. And many things can happen before Chord finishes the Dave 2. For example, there could be the third world war which would make one focus on other parts of life than high-end audio, hence I would save much money.

PS: Its second most annoying feature is I’m using it on the desk right now where I have a Hugo TT as well.

PS2: It’s a surprise for me I’m using it with the green filter. I expected myself to use the red one. Not that I can hear much difference but at least green looks bio (organic). Unfortunately, the difference between the Hugo 2 and the Hugo TT is easy to hear, at least with the HD800S

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #7,443 of 22,537
PS2: It’s a surprise for me I’m using it with the green filter. I expected myself to use the red one. Not that I can hear much difference but at least green looks bio (organic). Unfortunately, the difference between the Hugo 2 and the Hugo TT is easy to hear, at least with the HD800S

It is actually easy to hear using cheap earbuds, never mind the HD800S.

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #7,444 of 22,537
After a few weeks, I am here to tell you the best and the most annoying things in the Hugo 2.

Its best feature is it makes me want to wait until Dave 2 gets released. And many things can happen before Chord finishes the Dave 2. For example, there could be the third world war which would make one focus on other parts of life than high-end audio, hence I would save much money.

PS: Its second most annoying feature is I’m using it on the desk right now where I have a Hugo TT as well.

Which do you find yourself gravitating towards?

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #7,445 of 22,537
I would recommend that :)

Because of Blu 2, I think it's safe to say you'll have years and years to save for DAVE 2, if it even ever appears.

There's a theory that Blu 2 + Hugo 2 would be preferable to DAVE. Who knows...

Now playing: The Black Heart Procession - Never from This Heart

Aug 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #7,447 of 22,537
Which do you find yourself gravitating towards?
I’ve never tested the Dave.

But more or less everyone who has heard the three devices wrote the Hugo 2 is more similar to the Dave than it’s to the Hugo TT.

I skipped listening to the Dave for a single reason. I went to the store to buy a Hugo. I ended up with a Hugo TT and an HD800S.

No, I didn’t want to buy any headphones at all that time.

Following the similar logic made me skip testing the Dave, I ordered the Hugo 2 without testing it because the only store which has it in my country also has the Focal Utopia.

Aug 23, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #7,448 of 22,537
welcome to the TT family

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #7,449 of 22,537
For a decent portable transport, a FiiO X7II would surely do.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #7,450 of 22,537
with two 300 ohm headphones being simultaneously powered by H2 is that a "mW power out" to each headphone being half of what it would be if only one headphone was connected? so instead of 94mW to one 300 ohm headphone connected it would be 47mW to each of two 300 ohm headphones connected at once? that seems very odd having underpowered headphones. could someone kindly explain this to me. thanks.
Just remember that both headphones are about the same sensitivity :smile_phones:

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #7,451 of 22,537
Second day with Hugo 2. My unit definitely sounds different than Jude's at CanJam back in April. Idk if his was pre-production but mine sounds significantly brighter and less full and rich. So far it's an improvement over Mojo in detail retrieval, note decay, imaging, and overall clarity, but it has pretty strong upper midrange peakiness, some upper treble glare, and bass that's a little on the flat side for my tastes. The tonality doesn't sound natural to my ears at all..just bright and shouty on every filter..even through my top notch NOS tubes. So, fellow believers in burn in..does any of this improve over time? It's not my brain, I trust my ears. I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for posting this, but I waited forever for this thing and for it to sound as rich and organic as it did at CanJam and after 24hrs I'm contemplating selling it. Help??

Aug 24, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #7,452 of 22,537
I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for posting this, but I waited forever for this thing and for it to sound as rich and organic as it did at CanJam and after 24hrs I'm contemplating selling it. Help??

Don't do anything you might regret. I really think you should give it a bit more time. Are you using a high quality source and cables?

Aug 24, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #7,453 of 22,537
Second day with Hugo 2. My unit definitely sounds different than Jude's at CanJam back in April. Idk if his was pre-production but mine sounds significantly brighter and less full and rich. So far it's an improvement over Mojo in detail retrieval, note decay, imaging, and overall clarity, but it has pretty strong upper midrange peakiness, some upper treble glare, and bass that's a little on the flat side for my tastes. The tonality doesn't sound natural to my ears at all..just bright and shouty on every filter..even through my top notch NOS tubes. So, fellow believers in burn in..does any of this improve over time? It's not my brain, I trust my ears. I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for posting this, but I waited forever for this thing and for it to sound as rich and organic as it did at CanJam and after 24hrs I'm contemplating selling it. Help??

What are you connecting it to? Is the device you're using outputting the music bit-perfect? If you're connecting to a Mac, for example, often it will automatically set the output rate at the highest and up-sample, screwing up the sound.

Aug 24, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #7,454 of 22,537
What are you connecting it to? Is the device you're using outputting the music bit-perfect? If you're connecting to a Mac, for example, often it will automatically set the output rate at the highest and up-sample, screwing up the sound.

Tidal on iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->Campfire Vega or iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->WA22--->LCD-4. Audioquest cinnamon USB cable. Audioquest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA cable for WA22. Same setup as I had with my Mojo but those were the differences I heard with Hugo 2 thus far..

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #7,455 of 22,537
Tidal on iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->Campfire Vega or iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->WA22--->LCD-4. Audioquest cinnamon USB cable. Audioquest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA cable for WA22. Same setup as I had with my Mojo but those were the differences I heard with Hugo 2 thus far..

But the Hugo2 is a huge step forward compared to Mojo, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back