Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 24, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #7,456 of 22,546
No burn-in for my Hugo2 really. Just sounds smoother, faster and fuller after switching on & playing for an hour or so

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #7,457 of 22,546
Second day with Hugo 2. My unit definitely sounds different than Jude's at CanJam back in April. Idk if his was pre-production but mine sounds significantly brighter and less full and rich. So far it's an improvement over Mojo in detail retrieval, note decay, imaging, and overall clarity, but it has pretty strong upper midrange peakiness, some upper treble glare, and bass that's a little on the flat side for my tastes. The tonality doesn't sound natural to my ears at all..just bright and shouty on every filter..even through my top notch NOS tubes. So, fellow believers in burn in..does any of this improve over time? It's not my brain, I trust my ears. I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for posting this, but I waited forever for this thing and for it to sound as rich and organic as it did at CanJam and after 24hrs I'm contemplating selling it. Help??
Your ears are only the sensors, it is your brain that processes the inputs that it receives, in order for you to experience pleasure, annoyance etc from your music. Your ears will not physically change, but your brain will rewire/adapt in order to handle the increased musical information that it receives. It is a free country, so you are at liberty to disbelieve this.

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #7,458 of 22,546
so with two 600 ohm headphones plugged into hugo2 they are treated as if they are two 300 ohm headphones from each connector?

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #7,459 of 22,546
Tidal on iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->Campfire Vega or iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->WA22--->LCD-4. Audioquest cinnamon USB cable. Audioquest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA cable for WA22. Same setup as I had with my Mojo but those were the differences I heard with Hugo 2 thus far..

Try taking the Cinnamon usb out of the chain and use the stock mojo microusb cable or stock hugo 2 cable. I had the Cinnamon and thought it made the sound brighter and more fatiguing for long term use

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #7,460 of 22,546
Tidal on iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->Campfire Vega or iPhone 7--->Hugo 2--->WA22--->LCD-4. Audioquest cinnamon USB cable. Audioquest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA cable for WA22. Same setup as I had with my Mojo but those were the differences I heard with Hugo 2 thus far..

That should be fine. Using TIDAL HiFi setting? Are the recordings good? It could be the Hugo 2 revealing too much. With my Studio Six/Utopia rig I can even make out when samples are mixed into Shpongle by the slight change in hiss levels. Crazy overkill if ever there was.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #7,461 of 22,546
revealing to much, thats funny.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #7,462 of 22,546
I’ve never tested the Dave.

But more or less everyone who has heard the three devices wrote the Hugo 2 is more similar to the Dave than it’s to the Hugo TT.

I skipped listening to the Dave for a single reason. I went to the store to buy a Hugo. I ended up with a Hugo TT and an HD800S.

No, I didn’t want to buy any headphones at all that time.

Following the similar logic made me skip testing the Dave, I ordered the Hugo 2 without testing it because the only store which has it in my country also has the Focal Utopia.

Haha, if you had listened to Dave it would have been Deja vu all over again for you. if you had the funds and the will you would be walking out of the store having just purchased the Dave. Financially speaking you made the right choice getting Hugo 2 since you intended using it on the go from what I recall.

PS: My question regarding which unit you find yourself gravitating towards was aimed at the Hugo 2 and TT. To rephrase it, if you had both Hugo 2 and TT sitting on your desk hooked up to a source, which do you think you would find yourself using most often? Do you prefer one over another sound signature wise?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,463 of 22,546
TT in my case without question. Although I'm taking hugo outside right now to listen via la900

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #7,464 of 22,546
One more HUGO 2 up for sale on the same second hand site in Sweden this week again.
The first one was snapped up in less than a day!
But this time around I am not even tempted.
Considering the ridiculously high retail price here, I could buy one even cheaper than these so far ,only slighty reduced ones, new in Asia.
What I find both a bit worrying and puzzling , is the number of faulty units and QC reports popping up with alarming regularity here, and the fact that HUGO 2s are already up for sale on the exhange market.
The first second hand DAVEs took many months to surface, and are still few and far between as far as I know?

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #7,465 of 22,546
Second day with Hugo 2. My unit definitely sounds different than Jude's at CanJam back in April. Idk if his was pre-production but mine sounds significantly brighter and less full and rich. So far it's an improvement over Mojo in detail retrieval, note decay, imaging, and overall clarity, but it has pretty strong upper midrange peakiness, some upper treble glare, and bass that's a little on the flat side for my tastes. The tonality doesn't sound natural to my ears at all..just bright and shouty on every filter..even through my top notch NOS tubes. So, fellow believers in burn in..does any of this improve over time? It's not my brain, I trust my ears. I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for posting this, but I waited forever for this thing and for it to sound as rich and organic as it did at CanJam and after 24hrs I'm contemplating selling it. Help??

Happened to me too. The sound was the opposite of relaxing or smooth. But after couple of weeks started to like it and now enjoying it.

But I still don't believe it's brain burn in, since I've always been sensitive to certain glare and peaks in mids and treble.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7,466 of 22,546
But the Hugo2 is a huge step forward compared to Mojo, right?
To my ears, everything except personal preference in frequency response curve and tonality, yes. It's definitely a lot more open sounding and the increase in clarity is immediately noticeable. I'm just not sure the sound signature is what I'm after.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #7,467 of 22,546
straight from chord any leaking of light between the case partitions is totally normal. apparently it can't be designed otherwise. any seal placed would be impossible due to soldered connectors. no worries at all after mike's photo of that light leaking through.

hugo 2 undercover detective signing out!! :spy::spy::spy:
All you need to do is put the Hugo 2 in a vice and tighten it up until the light stops coming through the gap,problem solved

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #7,468 of 22,546
That should be fine. Using TIDAL HiFi setting? Are the recordings good? It could be the Hugo 2 revealing too much. With my Studio Six/Utopia rig I can even make out when samples are mixed into Shpongle by the slight change in hiss levels. Crazy overkill if ever there was.

Yeah Tidal HiFi setting. Excellent recordings that I'm very familiar with too. I have a "fix" in the form of my Dana Lazuli cable for the 4s..it's copper so it tones down the highs a notch and gives more body to the bass and mids. It also improves imaging but at the expense of some transparency, airiness, and soundstage width. It works, but feels like I'm taking a step back in the clarity I paid for.

Then for the Vega I have the reference 8 cable which only helps with better clarity and soundstage width, not so much for tonality. I think I'll give Hugo 2 a 30 day trial to kind of break-in if you will. I distinctly remember what I heard from the well used demo units at CanJam and LA Audio Show, and that's definitely not what I'm hearing from mine now. We'll see..

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #7,469 of 22,546
Happened to me too. The sound was the opposite of relaxing or smooth. But after couple of weeks started to like it and now enjoying it.

But I still don't believe it's brain burn in, since I've always been sensitive to certain glare and peaks in mids and treble.

Right? Ok this gives me hope. I'm really sensitive to glare and peaks in mids and treble too. That's why I'm wondering how this $2k dac is producing that crap. My theory is it's the amp section needing to wear in a little. I'll keep the faith that things will improve soon. Thanks everyone for calming my nerves lol.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #7,470 of 22,546
Right? Ok this gives me hope. I'm really sensitive to glare and peaks in mids and treble too. That's why I'm wondering how this $2k dac is producing that crap. My theory is it's the amp section needing to wear in a little. I'll keep the faith that things will improve soon. Thanks everyone for calming my nerves lol.
Get a chord 2 qute mate far better although Rob Watts won't admit it publicly , I've got one in black in perfect condition, I'll swap your Hugo 2 for it and let's say 500 pound in cash from you when you come to mine to do the swap,I'll try and struggle to sell your Hugo 2 on line

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back