Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 15, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #4,426 of 22,538
Hi, I am using it with Benchmark Ahb2 amplifier and PMC FB1i speakers and was thinking getting an ATC P1, but ended up with the Benchmark instead. Compared to the Hugo 1 I would say the Hugo 2 is less bright and less lean. I would say it is much fuller and with more bass so I have not encountered what you describe. The Hugo 2 is unforgiving as it is so transparent. Feed it with a good recording and it is excellent and vice versa (i have some albums that now sounds less great, but most much better). Your speakers I would think are amazing as contemplated getting that! Possibly you should review your source as my Cyrus CDT Signature CD Transport sounds great. You may be using a different device than CD player so would recommend you looking at the source, assuming that your speakers work in your room but that is a very different discussion... Also i hear very little difference between filters so your ATCs probably are very revealing on source material. If source is ok try moving speakers closer to wall if possible, or out as you never know... Hope that helps or tell me more about the source.

Hugo 2 and SCM19A speakers are both amazing and very transparent/truthful and therefore combined they can at times be unforgiving and revealing of poor recordings, recordings are what they are. Together they are on the lean side, I suspect it's more the speakers than Hugo 2.

I'm pretty sure my source is okay, new gen Apple battery powered macbook, bit perfect lossless audio.

My old system was SCM40A (had too much bass for my room) and Hugo TT. I never considered this system unforgiving or bright. I'm considering getting my old speakers back (dealer still has them) and applying eq on only those tracks where the bass is too much for the room.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #4,429 of 22,538
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #4,431 of 22,538
Lol @jmills8 NO BASS??? On my drake playlist it does decent enough, on the song glow it's punchy as f... that tune btw is just quality.

Enjoying the sound of these loaners though, good compliment to the P7W, offers sonething different

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #4,432 of 22,538
£20 mee iem's straight from a late 2013 imac with tidal hifi sounds half decent!!!! listening to drake now. but tinny and irritating a bit too. the bass however is smooth.:microphone: half an hour to decide if silver becomes available. lol.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #4,434 of 22,538
Hugo 2 and SCM19A speakers are both amazing and very transparent/truthful and therefore combined they can at times be unforgiving and revealing of poor recordings, recordings are what they are. Together they are on the lean side, I suspect it's more the speakers than Hugo 2.

I'm pretty sure my source is okay, new gen Apple battery powered macbook, bit perfect lossless audio.

My old system was SCM40A (had too much bass for my room) and Hugo TT. I never considered this system unforgiving or bright. I'm considering getting my old speakers back (dealer still has them) and applying eq on only those tracks where the bass is too much for the room.

If both the Hugo 2, speakers (and amps in them) are new, maybe everything just needs to break in for a month or so. Try running music through the system 24/7 for a week or 2 and see what it is like then.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #4,435 of 22,538
0.35% THD and noise at 1W? Do I really need to say any more?

According to Tyll and other reviwers the sound is remarkable good according the Audio Technica headphones.

Just like everything in its early age, this will be refined most probably, like Kodak worlds biggest company did not think Pro DSLR cameras ever could compete with the Analog SLR cameras, where are they today? :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #4,436 of 22,538
It is here, a black Hugo2. I owned a Hugo, but sold it a while ago. However, the improvement of Hugo2 is striking. I feed it from Mac mini (Amarra with Dirac room correction)-> AP2 plus battery power via Coax, then directly to Job monos and modded ATC SCM20SL (Duelund Xover and Mundorf AMT). I started with Bruckner the 9th symphony with Haitink. Music is emotionally much more involving! And it is true for all tracks I try, Leonard Cohen: You want it darker, Massive Attack: Paradise Cirus etc.
I am sure this effect can also be tracked down to technical terminology, my impression is that music is much more transparent and resolving, i.e. different instruments, voices meld less while still building a coherent whole.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #4,438 of 22,538
Jun 15, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #4,439 of 22,538
Guys what is the weight of a hugo2 please? Just wondering about portable usage vs my mojo/iPod touch 6
Like 2 mojos.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #4,440 of 22,538
Very nice :beerchug: ...but way too big for my modest room.
Well...I listen almost nearfiled..."à la japanese"....with great results for my brain
Great posts, I think that correct partnering is the key. A tube preamp between your Hugo and the speakers is probably the way to go, halloweenman and you may wish to use the Mojo filters. I am sure the Hugo2, Leben and Spendor make wonderful music together.

cs600, how would you compare listening to headphones through the headphone out on the Hugo2 vs the headphone out on the cs600?
Hi Hooster,
unfortunately i can't help on this since I listen through loudspeakers only, I have not any decent headphone to use and make comparison, sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back