Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #4,396 of 22,546
I can get my black Hugo² tomorrow (they will receive two black and two silver units) – without preordering. :astonished:

looking forward to your thoughts on your 846, although i moved to encore, concerning hugo 1 versus 2 as a portable via whatever connection you use.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4,397 of 22,546
Good thing I didn't pre-order, then. I just asked my dealer to let me know if and when he gets one in. Hell, he's even going to let me finally hear a DAVE! Great times ahead.
I'm not sure if that's a good idea! Well, my dealer offered me to audition a Blu² at home over the next weekend. :worried:

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4,398 of 22,546
Good thing I didn't pre-order, then. I just asked my dealer to let me know if and when he gets one in. Hell, he's even going to let me finally hear a DAVE! Great times ahead.
Beef up the wallet for dave cause you know you will want it. Im going to wait till bulk friday or boxing day sales to get hugo 2 if the impressions versus hugo 1 are worthy and not exaggerations...

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #4,399 of 22,546
looking forward to your thoughts on your 846, although i moved to encore, concerning hugo 1 versus 2 as a portable via whatever connection you use.
Does an HE1000 count as well? Since a few hours I have a new pair as a replacement for my defective one (right-channel connector problem) – smells like new, not like refurbished. Of course i will test both headphones and more.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #4,400 of 22,546
Does an HE1000 count as well? Since a few hours I have a new pair as a replacement for my defective one (right-channel connector problem) – smells like new, not like refurbished. Of course i will test both headphones and more.
I tested susvara versus a v1 he 1 and yup, the extra doe is worth it, susvara is excellent especially jazz, but everything. I'm saving already, but just put out for antipodes audio ds GT, so gots to pace things out. It's mostly for me is Hugo 2 worth the upgrade from 1 as portable. I use Hugo exclusively cck to iPhone out and about or back yard listening on la900. Course folks here would love to hear your he 1 observations across all devices but Dave versus Hugo 2 will be of interest to me as well. Cheers have fun, keep the economy going, I know I am..

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #4,404 of 22,546
I'm interested to know what speakers others are using with Hugo 2? I'm still finding it a little unforgiving and bright with ATC SCM19 actives, particularly on the incisive filter.

Hi, I am using it with Benchmark Ahb2 amplifier and PMC FB1i speakers and was thinking getting an ATC P1, but ended up with the Benchmark instead. Compared to the Hugo 1 I would say the Hugo 2 is less bright and less lean. I would say it is much fuller and with more bass so I have not encountered what you describe. The Hugo 2 is unforgiving as it is so transparent. Feed it with a good recording and it is excellent and vice versa (i have some albums that now sounds less great, but most much better). Your speakers I would think are amazing as contemplated getting that! Possibly you should review your source as my Cyrus CDT Signature CD Transport sounds great. You may be using a different device than CD player so would recommend you looking at the source, assuming that your speakers work in your room but that is a very different discussion... Also i hear very little difference between filters so your ATCs probably are very revealing on source material. If source is ok try moving speakers closer to wall if possible, or out as you never know... Hope that helps or tell me more about the source.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4,405 of 22,546
Listening right now to Machanache -Mult Peste , Romanian rap artist on YouTube with Hugo 2 and ATH-CKR10 and i am again very impressed by the clarity and bass reproduction, simply a magnificent improvement over the previous Hugo.
I am yet to try watching a high quality video and audio movie with Hugo 2 but no doubt about it will be impressive.
20170614_205725.jpg

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #4,406 of 22,546
"MACANACHE" has a very relaxed rap style. nice. mult peste or more than in english.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,407 of 22,546
I'll use my beloved spendor s100 driven by my beloved leben cs600, as I did with Hugo.......simply fantastic!!!

I'm interested to know what speakers others are using with Hugo 2? I'm still finding it a little unforgiving and bright with ATC SCM19 actives, particularly on the incisive filter.

Great posts, I think that correct partnering is the key. A tube preamp between your Hugo and the speakers is probably the way to go, halloweenman and you may wish to use the Mojo filters. I am sure the Hugo2, Leben and Spendor make wonderful music together.

cs600, how would you compare listening to headphones through the headphone out on the Hugo2 vs the headphone out on the cs600?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #4,409 of 22,546
can you use soundizz to copy a you tube playlist to spotify? just an idea. i may have to decide in the morning whether to grab a silver unit or wait for an unspecified time for a black one. the culmination of my dac journey. what do i do??ummm

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #4,410 of 22,546
can you use soundizz to copy a you tube playlist to spotify? just an idea. i may have to decide in the morning whether to grab a silver unit or wait for an unspecified time for a black one. the culmination of my dac journey. what do i do??ummm

Get the one you really want. You will regret it if you compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back