Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,382 of 22,546
On days off Hugo/Phone slides in my jean pockets. Been carrying it like this for over a year. Hope the H2 multitude of buttons will work the same.
Alrighty. Still have a feeling your pockets are on the larger side, but I'll have to see if there's somewhere I can see it in person (didn't pay much attention to it at CanJam NYC) so I can try to see how it fits.

I guess I'm wishing for something that doesn't exist... Mojo-sized Hugo 2 with Poly functionality... or Chord DAP? :ksc75smile:

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #4,383 of 22,546
How is the Hugo 2 portable and not transportable?

I don't mean relatively portable compared with the 5+ tier mini-nuclear-reactor stacks that some carry around... I mean portable in a true sense where it can fit in your pocket and you don't need extra luggage like a bag just to carry it around. Even the Mojo was hard to pocket as a stack and this is even larger...

Genuinely asking here, not hating - how do people carry this around? I'm interested in buying it but the price and form factor are stopping me.

I can convince myself the sq is worth the price, but so far I see this as a desktop or transportable unit.

If you have an Apt-X capable phone you can get truly excellent sound on the go. Just last weekend, Jude let me play with his Hugo 2 and I was extremely pleased with just how good Hugo 2 sounded when fed files via Apt-X. Not only did it sound great but the Hugo 2 received a steady signal from my phone even as I walked all the way across the giant open room (The phone was on the counter).

I was also extremely impressed by the build quality and especially the much refined aluminum case. The difference between the one at canjam NYC and the final one is frankly night and day.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #4,384 of 22,546
If you have an Apt-X capable phone you can get truly excellent sound on the go. Just last weekend, Jude let me play with his Hugo 2 and I was extremely pleased with just how good Hugo 2 sounded when fed files via Apt-X. Not only did it sound great but the Hugo 2 received a steady signal from my phone even as I walked all the way across the giant open room (The phone was on the counter).

I was also extremely impressed by the build quality and especially the much refined aluminum case. The difference between the one at canjam NYC and the final one is frankly night and day.
That could be an option, but isn't there some compression involved in using Apt-X and degradation of SQ?

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #4,385 of 22,546
That could be an option, but isn't there some compression involved in using Apt-X and degradation of SQ?

Not sure about the compression part but Apt-X uses an algorithm that apparently keeps all the time domain information intact, or so i've read. but I can tell you that it comes really close to the sound of a direct wire connection and at that point you are just splitting hairs.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,386 of 22,546
Not sure about the compression part but Apt-X uses an algorithm that apparently keeps all the time domain information intact, or so i've read. but I can tell you that it comes really close to the sound of a direct wire connection and at that point you are just splitting hairs.
If you're looking at it as a standalone purchase, sure, but if you're coming from a great DAP and looking to upgrade to the Hugo 2, the sound between the two may already be only marginally better on the Hugo 2, so then throw in a possible (if anyone or Rob Watts can please confirm) decrease in SQ and spending $1,400 on an upgrade that may not be much of an upgrade becomes a lot less palatable than it already is.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,388 of 22,546
If you're looking at it as a standalone purchase, sure, but if you're coming from a great DAP and looking to upgrade to the Hugo 2, the sound between the two may already be only marginally better on the Hugo 2, so then throw in a possible (if anyone or Rob Watts can please confirm) decrease in SQ and spending $1,400 on an upgrade that may not be much of an upgrade becomes a lot less palatable than it already is.
realize any investment in you dap that has a dac and or amp is waisted through hugo by pass

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4,389 of 22,546
You can always use the Mojo on the go and Hugo 2 at home for critical listening..
That has been my plan so far.
But I am afraid that once you hear Hugo 2 you will lose interest in Mojo and carry it with you anywhere.
That's how good it sounds.
I have pondered that risk - because it would leave me with a Mojo and Poly lying around unused.
Using the Hugo 2 as my portable, then leaves a gap for the desktop at home - so the 3Qute or Hugo TT2 could fill that in the long term, but that could be two or three years away in chords planning, for all I know.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #4,390 of 22,546
I can get my black Hugo² tomorrow (they will receive two black and two silver units) – without preordering. :astonished:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4,391 of 22,546
realize any investment in you dap that has a dac and or amp is waisted through hugo by pass
I currently have a DAP. The plan would be to upgrade to the Hugo 2. I'd sell my DAP cause then yeah it'd be useless and I'd use the funds towards the Hugo 2, connected to my phone. But it's very, very bulky for portable use IMO.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #4,392 of 22,546
My dealer rang while i was half asleep and offered me a silver H2 saying one had been delivered to them. one as in 1 hugo 2. i declined saying i'd wait for a black unit. a few hours later and more refreshed i rang them back to be told that the silver had been offered to no.2 in the queue and if in the morning he didn't take it would be reoffered to me as i showed interest. the reason i'm now considering silver is that the dealer mentioned july and even august for black units as nothing was guaranteed with deliveries. maybe even a black unit could arrive in a few days. the silver H2 on chord facebook looks nice so i'm not sure now???:basketball: my deposit is non refundable.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #4,394 of 22,546
Looking forward to more reviews of this new product especially against the Mojo and original Hugo.

Its really quite and advanture if you visit the "Super pretentious & grumpy" site which seems to have a collective stroking of one another over Schiit products, but also constantly diss those from Chord...one guy, fior example, recently stated in the Hugo 2 that the hugo2 to be just slightly better than the mojo...and another dissed the Hugo 1 as comparable to a sub $150 TT DAC (that it can't compete w other true TT DACs in similar form factor) .

So at HEAD FI, in some of their ops, we're basically a bunch of delusional, koolaid drinking, fanboys who overpay for a substandard product in their eyes... lmao. So many of their 'senior' members sound like a bunch of whiny, pouty excommunicado outcasts with chips on their shoulders and who think that they're clearly superior as reviewers...can't get funnier than that.
Yes I agree!

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,395 of 22,546
;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back