CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #12,978 of 25,834
Any cable recommendations for connecting DAVE direct to speaker? I am looking at some Omega speakers to try w/ DAVE.
Omega recommends Zenwave because they offer a cable specifically for the DAVE.
large-2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #12,980 of 25,834
Any cable recommendations for connecting DAVE direct to speaker? I am looking at some Omega speakers to try w/ DAVE.

I think there is an argument for using traditional off the shelf speaker cables with banana plus on both ends and using a short XLR to banana converter set at the Dave (and TT2) end. Especially if you are just trailing speakers that you might not keep. That way also you will have speaker cables that will appeal to the wider market if you decide to sell them at a later date.

Rob Watts gave a detailed summary of how he made his converter tails. I did it slightly differently in that I used 6mm2 cables rather than multiple smaller diameter cables to get the cross sectional area. Also, I used Furutech XLR plugs because they can take larger diameter cable compared to Neutrik XLR. There are however various companies which people have mentioned as selling off the peg versions.

Also, because I was also trialing running speakers direct from Dave and TT2 I wasn't sure whether I wanted to run them in single ended or balanced mode hence why I connected all three pins to the XLR plugs.

EDIT - it has been pointed out that the RCA output from Dave is lower impedance and so is preferable to the XLR. I have made similar short RCA to banana conversion leads for Dave and forgot to mention that.

Hope this helps. (click on the thumbnail image to view it at a larger size)

speaker cables 2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #12,983 of 25,834
I’m also thinking about Omega speakers to run off Dave, but want to run a JL sub also.

Are people hooking up the sub via Dave XLR and the Omega speakers from the RCA out?

That's how I have my system set up. Before investing in a JL sub (if you haven't already), I HIGHLY recommend tracking down a Voxativ bass unit to evaluate. It is a magical pairing with the Omegas direct from DAVE/TT2, and scales spectacularly well when you add HMS.

My baseline is a JL Audio Fathom F112v2, but for music (esp. mscaled music), the Voxativ bass units are in a *completely* different league (esp. when paired with the Omegas and Voxativ speakers). For movies, Fathom still wins.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #12,984 of 25,834
That's how I have my system set up. Before investing in a JL sub (if you haven't already), I HIGHLY recommend tracking down a Voxativ bass unit to evaluate. It is a magical pairing with the Omegas direct from DAVE/TT2, and scales spectacularly well when you add HMS.

My baseline is a JL Audio Fathom F112v2, but for music (esp. mscaled music), the Voxativ bass units are in a *completely* different league (esp. when paired with the Omegas and Voxativ speakers). For movies, Fathom still wins.

Ray,

Is the bass unit you’re referring to the one that comes with the 9.87 system?

I’ve been eyeing that system for some time.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #12,985 of 25,834
The Pi bass unit (that comes with the 9.87s) is otherworldly, but also very expensive

The Z bass units (single 106dB driver instead of 2, class D amp instead of class AB) is roughly the same price as the fathom and WAY better for musicality (esp with the remarkable precision you get woth mScaler and Chord dacs)

Absolutely must hear piece of kit if you’re heading down the direct connected speaker path. The Pi bass units are the best I’ve ever heard and create an amazing sense of reality and space with the lower resonances. The Z bass unit is the kid brother, but also spectacular.

My current ultimate audio system for civilians is the Omega SAMs, TT2, and the Vox Z bass unit. If you’re feeling spry, add a HMS. If you’re feeling more spry, add a Vox speaker and start climbing the driver lineup, then add a DAVE.

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #12,986 of 25,834
I think there is an argument for using traditional off the shelf speaker cables with banana plus on both ends and using a short XLR to banana converter set at the Dave (and TT2) end. Especially if you are just trailing speakers that you might not keep. That way also you will have speaker cables that will appeal to the wider market if you decide to sell them at a later date.
ATTACH]2628194[/ATTACH]

I think direct drive from DAVE at least (...not sure about TT2) is best via the single ended RCA outputs as that is the one with the low output impedance.
Rather than having several junction points, I got Dave at Zenwave to make me RCA to spade connector speaker cable which works very well.

G

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #12,987 of 25,834

I think direct drive from DAVE at least (...not sure about TT2) is best via the single ended RCA outputs as that is the one with the low output impedance.
Rather than having several junction points, I got Dave at Zenwave to make me RCA to spade connector speaker cable which works very well.
G

Thanks for that. I have gone back and edited my post to clarify. Nick

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #12,988 of 25,834

Yeah, the XLR out from DAVE has extremely low Current output and won’t drive really anything. It is only meant to feed Voltage to an external amp.

On the other hand the TT2 has 6A rms Current output from the XLR so, yeah, not really an issue from TT2.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #12,990 of 25,834
PSA DS Senior has shelved it. Well, actually put it on my TV! Only better is $40,000+ IMO. The DS Senior has really evolved with consistently rewritten firmware. Not bashing of course YMMV. Now has evolved to 50x DSD! for whatever that is worth. snowmass 3.05 ROM. It is really your ears and your ears only. however never heard TV like this before!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back