1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863
865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874
Next

Last
  1. naynay

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. rgs9200m
    There are a bunch of McIntosh C47s offered on ebay for around $3200. There are no Chord DAVEs offered there. Most used DAVEs are over $7,000 when they show up.
    I never heard a C47, but that's the marketplace opinion.
    The McIntosh MC302 is a power amp, so it's not really comparable to a DAVE.
    (There is a nice looking MC402 amp on Audiogon though...)
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9b069-mcintosh-mc402-stereo-amplifier-solid-state
    And there are more 402s on amazon and ebay...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. iDesign
    Over the past few days I have been doing A/B tests with my Balanced Power Technologies 3.5 Signature PLUS power conditioner and my new High Fidelity Cables MC-6 Hemisphere and Reveal power cable. @romaz first introduced me to the High Fidelity Cables MC-6 Hemisphere and the difference in sound quality is apparent. Before setting up the MC-6 Hemisphere, I made extensive changes to my home electrical wiring and the main electrical panel by adding whole-home surge protection+conditioning devices from Schneider Electric at the panel, double grounded the home's wiring to effectively lower the noise floor, and installed a Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) receptacle. I noticed a lot of the reviews of High Fidelity Cables products were done in homes with ancient outlets and wiring (e.g. this ancient wall outlet in AudioBacon's review!) and the differences of improving the wiring, grounding, and outlets are far more important than the MC-6 Hemisphere itself.

The DAVE is so incredibly transparent and revealing that small a change such as the BPT 3.5 Signature PLUS to the High Fidelity Cables MC-6 Hemisphere is obvious. The benefits of using a power conditioner versus plugging the DAVE and Blu Mk II directly into the wall outlet are very noticeable. As for how the two power conditioners differ, I believe the BPT unit yielded a darker and more full-bodied sound while the High Fidelity Cables unit seems to be slightly brighter. Unfortunately, BPT ceased operations several years ago and they produced what I believe were the best power conditioners available anywhere and I can't recommend them enough. For owners of the DAVE in the USA that are using a standard 110V outlet, I feel investments into your home wiring, power cables, and conditioners, are some of the biggest improvements you can make.

And for what its worth, the MC-6 Hemisphere I received is in their all new chassis (different from the one on their website). It was also built with three Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) receptacles instead of the standard GTX-D(R) which I am quite pleased about.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    xxx1313, spotforscott and woodcans like this.
  4. dac64
    Well, I didn't owned a Dave, and I have optimised the Qutest, the first picture.

And, now I looking into the pre.

I used stock supplied cables only, and reluctant to buy expensive conditioner or balanced etc...

However , my approach is universal, i.e. finding the sweet spot to place the footers

From the second given picture, a change of mm will make a huge differences.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. ZappaMan
    Ladies please. Enough fighting, let’s get back to discussing spending ever more money on anything possibly related to audio.

I know one thing for sure tho, whazzup has his server and he’s happy enough. So that’s 1 that I’ve counted so far.

Tho I do suspect, whazzup got his server cheap on the condition that he posts at least 3 times a day, reminding people that he has his server and he’s happy.

Suppose he’s neither the first or the last.

Now where were we again.

Jk wazzer

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Aslshark, musickid and Lgn3 like this.
  6. Deftone
    What server was it again?

Aslshark likes this.
  7. ZappaMan
    Think it was ANTIPODES or something ... not sure...

Aslshark and Deftone like this.
  8. musickid
    It's the one connected to the hugoTT for which there seems no possible reason under the sun to upgrade to a TT2 because the TT in conjunction with the antipodes really hits the spot i think?:upside_down:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  9. Deftone
    Why feel forced to upgrade if he’s very happy with antipodes and TT. Imo this hobby is not always about getting the best you can afford, sometimes it’s about your preference and/or being content.

x RELIC x likes this.
  10. musickid
    Then the hobby is over...:end::slight_frown:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  11. AxelCloris Administrator
    Let’s please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thanks everyone.

12. tunes
    Can you explain what it is that you don’t like “A much bigger factor in why I don't own a GSX Mk2 is that I found the 24-step attenuator to have insufficient granularity.”

I think the new GSX-mini has a choice of potentiometers. Not sure I know the difference and if this amp is used with DAVE, the DAVE remote can control volume as in other posts.

13. tunes
    Will there be any improvement on Sonics with the less expensive offerings like the MC-1 or MC-6 nonhisphere if all you need are a few outlets just for the DAVE AND HMS?

14. Torq
    It only gives you 24, discrete, steps total from its minimum volume setting to its maximum. Which meant I couldn't always get the volume where I wanted it. Not an issue if your source has variable output levels (volume) like DAVE does - as long as you're willing to change the volume on the source - but in my case I was looking for an amp that was also going to have to work with fixed-level outputs.

Looks like you can choose between the ALPS RK27, which is a conventional infinitely-variable/continuous analog potentiometer or the DACT 24-step attenuator. The DACT option ensures you'll have proper channel balance even at low volumes, the ALPS RK27 may exhibit some low-level channel imbalance (not uncommon for pots) but doesn't limit you to 24 discrete volume levels.

Both will be fine from DAVE - especially since you're planning on using the variable output and remote on DAVE for volume control anyway.

15. tunes
    Perfect—

So do you think the GX-mini will be an adequate amp for the Susvara combined with the DAVE HMS combo? I am uncertain how this amp will take the single ended DAVE output and make it balanced to the headphone. The preorder add suggests that is is a good amp for non-power hungry headphones but not sure if it will be a good pairing with the SUSVARA. I can get a good price on the Susvara GX-mini package from HeadAmp.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
First

Back
854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863
865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874
Next

Last