CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #25,831 of 25,851
Its actually closer to real life sound. Smoother with less brightness. Many ones brains are trained to hear the edged up digital sound it gets presented everywhere.. its grew up with it. I had the same when i improved my set on HF noise isolation.. i had to get used to what initially felt less impressive but with time i started to hear deeper into the sound, specially in mid high frequencies. Later i started to improve on my headphones 'brightness' changed the cable for silver, taking the dilter sheets off its drivers. Something i previously wouldnt do cause that would make it more sibilant with chip DAC's. But now it just cleared up further with dynamics.
That's exactly what I'm hearing since I switched to Toslink as per Rob's recommendation.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #25,834 of 25,851
Hey folks, any Diana TC owners on here?

Looking to buy one but not sure if my Dave will drive it well enough on its own. Cheers!

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #25,835 of 25,851
A few days ago I did some tests to see how much difference there was by switching the entire system back to normal power with stock cables.

Since I started using batteries, first with the M Scaler, followed a few months later by the streamer and much later by the DAVE, I had never brought the system back to the mains.

Then DAVE original network cable, m Scaler original power supply and Lumin U1 mini reconnected to its internal switching power supply.

To give the final blow, I also put stock USB between the streamer and the M Scaler.

I was shocked, I thought I would find small nuances, but instead the change was drastic.

I then tried reconnecting the batteries and doing another test.

Practically, while streamers and M Scalers undergo a notable change if left connected to the charging circuit, the DAVE does not suffer from changes in sound even during charging.

So in summary, the complete isolation of a digital system from the home AC current undergoes a drastic improvement in the sound, noticeable on all audio frequencies, becoming completely free of harshness on the higher frequencies and with a noticeable increase in overall focus.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #25,836 of 25,851
I now this must have been asked too many a time but what is the latest thinking on an external amp that is the best match for DAVE.
I will likely be going down the mods route in the near future but keen to at least examine the possibility of adding an amp.

Have mostly been coming across suggestions of Holo's Bliss KTE, Benchmark HPA4, HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, Sparkos Aries and the Enleum AMP-23R.
Cheers!

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #25,837 of 25,851
I now this must have been asked too many a time but what is the latest thinking on an external amp that is the best match for DAVE...
I'd like to hear opinions too.
Thought a long time that rebelamp preserved all, but it does take away 'something', took me a while to realise.

Plan to mod Dave a la Reactcore later on for sure. You know, less stuff in the chain.
But can't resist to ponder on ferrum hypsos/oor set too, damned 😅

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #25,838 of 25,851
I'd like to hear opinions too.
Thought a long time that rebelamp preserved all, but it does take away 'something', took me a while to realise.

Plan to mod Dave a la Reactcore later on for sure. You know, less stuff in the chain.
But can't resist to ponder on ferrum hypsos/oor set too, damned 😅
Same. Would be planning a trip down to NL had I not bought brand new units :)

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #25,839 of 25,851
I now this must have been asked too many a time but what is the latest thinking on an external amp that is the best match for DAVE.
I will likely be going down the mods route in the near future but keen to at least examine the possibility of adding an amp.

Have mostly been coming across suggestions of Holo's Bliss KTE, Benchmark HPA4, HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, Sparkos Aries and the Enleum AMP-23R.
Cheers!

There really isn't a best match. Just depends on what you're looking for. If you want to maintain the sense of transparency the Dave excels at, I'd go with something like the CFA3 or maybe the Mass Kobo 465, or a very transparent sounding tube amp like the WA33 (these are examples, there are plenty high end options). If you want more body, or could use a bit of warmth, the Bliss, Enleum, Envy and a few others might be great options as well.

Can't go wrong with anything you mentioned, just should probably figure out what's most important to you. Depending on what that is, you'll find that only a few amps are likely to be a fit for you..

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #25,840 of 25,851
There really isn't a best match. Just depends on what you're looking for. If you want to maintain the sense of transparency the Dave excels at, I'd go with something like the CFA3 or maybe the Mass Kobo 465, or a very transparent sounding tube amp like the WA33 (these are examples, there are plenty high end options). If you want more body, or could use a bit of warmth, the Bliss, Enleum, Envy and a few others might be great options as well.

Can't go wrong with anything you mentioned, just should probably figure out what's most important to you. Depending on what that is, you'll find that only a few amps are likely to be a fit for you..
I prefer the Parasound JC-5 for stereo or a Parasound JC-1 mono amplifiers, there is ZERO transparency loss and it sounds utterly amazing. To me, Parasound compliments Chord DACs better than their own amps, I listened to one of the Chord Amps and I didn't care at all for it.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #25,844 of 25,851
This is entertaining

Users who are viewing this thread

Back