1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866
868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877
Next

Last
  1. GryphonGuy
    Only when physically inserting or removing a headphone plug.

2. tunes
    I am still searching for the best amp either headphone or speaker to pair with the Dave and Susvara. So far The Soundaware P1 balanced headphone amp versus more powerful First watt speaker amp J2 or F7 ($1k less but no balanced input) is what I am trying to decide upon as I have no way to listen to these wondering if anyone else has heard either of these amps with Susvara?

3. onlychild
    What about the Chord Etude to run the Susvara? I heard they love speaker amps.

4. tunes
    Wouldn’t that be overkill in terms of raw power?
    I wonder if anyone has tried driving the Susvara directly from the Etude? It’s a bit over what I wanted to pay unless can get a good discount.

5. tunes
    What about using the Etude driving the Susvara direct with Dave? Is it too much power? Is this the kind of amp that will give more transparency than other dedicated headphone amps or speaker amps??

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  6. jarnopp
    I have driven the HE-6 with a 150 watt/channel speaker amp. Just be careful with the volume control, but certainly no detriment to the sound

And Rob Watts has had this to say about the Etude (towards end of the post):
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-109#post-14461311

7. PhenixS1970
    Impatiently waiting for the arrival of the DAVE I purchased earlier this week (pickup scheduled at the dealer next week Friday) :)

My future system:
    Head-fi: BlueSound Node 2 -> DAVE -> Focal Utopia
    2 Channel: Bluesound Node 2 -> DAVE -> Sugden A21SE -> Harbeth m30.1

onlychild and jbrownson like this.
  8. N15M0
    HI I just gotten the Dave and when I stream from Spotify, my Dave is showing 44.1 kHz but from the Dave menu, I can go to the OSX Audit MIDI Setup to change the rate to something I like. Is there any improvement in terms of sound quality when I am playing songs from Spotify if I set the rate to like 192? Thanks.

9. Triode User
    In my opinion, NO, there is not an improvement in quality.

Leave it at the default streaming rate rather than trying to upscale prior to Dave (unless of course the upscaling is done by a Blku2 or Hugo MScaler).

10. N15M0
    OK thanks. Btw do you turn off your dave or leave it on 24/7?

11. Triode User
    I leave it on 24/7 but put it in standby whenever I can remember (which is not often). If nothing else, leaving it on removes any issues of a switch on noise through amps. (Edit to say that of course Dave self mutes for a short period upon switch on, but there might be a pop with switch off so turn off amps first).

12. N15M0
    So its better to leave it on then switching it off?

13. Triode User
    My own philosophy is that I prefer to leave hifi kit on rather than subject it to hundreds of switch on / switch off cycles per year but if you ask 100 different people you will get 100 different answers to your question. (This does not apply to valve kit or Class A amps which I always switch off).

I have an amplifier in my kitchen which has been on continuously for the last 20+ years apart from switching it off for an hour last year when I recapped the power supply.

14. GryphonGuy
    I recently had the privilege of auditioning Meze Empyrean headphones on the DAVE. Now my regular headphones are Focal Utopias but after 3 hours of auditioning in the shop (Thanks Zeppelin!), I came to the conclusion that I could live with either headphone (Utopia or Empyrean) when run directly from the DAVE.

The key difference that I could articulate after 3 hours was that the Focal Utopia puts you amongst the band on the stage (such is the tightness and accuracy of the soundstage) and the transients are really really strong through the Utopias. The Empyreans (with a couple of notches of increased volume on the DAVE) sound like you are a couple of rows back from the performance because you can hear everything you can with the Utopias (with the same accuracy of timbre) but with just a slightly less impact or intensity like you would hear/feel if you moved metres away from the instruments.

Had I not already owned the Utopias, I may have leaned towards the Empyreans for their slightly wider soundstage and super comfortable fit (not tha Utopias are not comfortable, they are). But I cannot justify trading in my Utopias for a slightly different presentation on the DAVE.

Regards
    GG

xxx1313 likes this.
  15. Galm
    Quick question that google didn't help much with, should the HF Filter be on or off when listening to 16 bit 44.1 to 24 bit 96KHz audio? This is m scaled if that matters.

First

Back
857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866
868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877
Next

Last