CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 11, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #13,426 of 25,909
Does the Mscalar introduce latency?
I use the Chord Dave in combination with my TV (as it provides streaming functionality for the Chord Dave for free basically) via optical.
Short answer is yes, M-Scaler introduces latency BUT don’t cancel your order.
I was just watching TV and movies last night with Blu2 (so basically M-scaler)
There is a video mode in M-Scaler which gives you 2/3 million tap which is minimum phase so that the audio latency is similar to DAVE. So if you’re watching TV with DAVE, you can use the video mode of the M-Scaler and continue to watch TV. I can tell you that the 2/3 million taps video mode is far superior than DAVE’s 164000 taps.
For music, you can switch back to 1 million taps.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #13,427 of 25,909
Not sure if you have made a purchase on a cable yet but the SHUNYATA are highly rated by a few Dave owners but at a cost.

Yes, a new power cord is the final stage of my DAVE-based upgrade plan, and Shunyata are top of my list, but I'm also interested in the Synergistic Research Blue HC.
Has anyone directly compared these two? The Blue is priced broadly the same as the Shunyata Delta NR, and I can't find find any UK dealer that stocks both.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #13,428 of 25,909
Yes, a new power cord is the final stage of my DAVE-based upgrade plan, and Shunyata are top of my list, but I'm also interested in the Synergistic Research Blue HC.
Has anyone directly compared these two? The Blue is priced broadly the same as the Shunyata Delta NR, and I can't find find any UK dealer that stocks both.
When furutech and Mitsubishi collaborate this results in . http://www.furutech.com/2017/05/10/14783/ this is world's purest copper power cable. Nothing on this planet beats it. Only thing is to get hold of this bulk cable.

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #13,429 of 25,909
Aug 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #13,430 of 25,909
Aug 11, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #13,431 of 25,909
The Delta NR is a fine cable for the price but if you can stretch to it also try the Alpha NR. I’m not sure where you are located but KJ West One in London have loaned me several Shunyata power cables over the last year.

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #13,432 of 25,909
When furutech and Mitsubishi collaborate this results in . http://www.furutech.com/2017/05/10/14783/ this is world's purest copper power cable. Nothing on this planet beats it. Only thing is to get hold of this bulk cable.

I'm using future FPS4 on Dave and Blu2 it makes an appreciable improvement. I bought bulk cable and made up my own. Currently saving for NCF plugs

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #13,433 of 25,909
I switched the other day my Nordost Magus powercord installed in Dave with a Nordost Brahma with Furutech-contacts. I hear (or think I hear) a very significant increase in dynamics and definition of instruments. This is in my two-speaker system. Currently enjoying Brand X “unorthodox behavior” (cd) with some magnificent drumming by Phil Collins.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #13,434 of 25,909
In my experience high quality power cables do make a difference not least in their rejection of RFI and dynamic improvements. However, given a choice of either/or I would put my money into High Quality HIFI Fuses and a decent Grounding Block first. Better SQ per buck in my experience.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #13,435 of 25,909

I auditioned Venom, Alpha and Sigma (the only cables a few years ago). There is an easily heard difference between the product lines with the Sigma being the most satisfying difference. Originally I had just the power cables used on an online double-conversion UPS and had some lumpiness in the audio spectrum. HOWEVER when paired with the Shunyata power distributors (Hydra and Denali) the cables create a synergy. I personally use the Denali distributor and Sigma cables. The DAVE and its source "train" on this power combo is so pure and clean that the instrument timbres and transients can sound real.

Of course YMMV.

Regards
GG

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #13,437 of 25,909
A while back I did an in-home demo of two $2K power cables (AQ Hurricane / Shunyata Sigma) and neither sounded better than a $200 Oyaide (Black Mamba). I have stuck w/ Oyaide cables since.
Oyaide, mogami and furutech are the few which use pcocc or more purity base cable in their products. It's the purity of copper which is main contributing factor for sq and not fancy jacketing, fancy box etc.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #13,438 of 25,909
but don't forget to give due regard to Rob Watts first paragraph in his post here on the TT2 thread . . . . . .

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-420#post-15106660

I always give due regard to Rob's comments, and many times I agree - but if at any point my ears disagree with his consclusions, then my ears will always win the argument :).
Also, it's not only the Chord component itself that can be impacted by its power supply - it's all the other components in the system. As was demonstrated at the romaz meet a while back.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #13,439 of 25,909
In my experience high quality power cables do make a difference not least in their rejection of RFI and dynamic improvements.

Same experience here.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #13,440 of 25,909
...it's not only the Chord component itself that can be impacted by its power supply - it's all the other components in the system. As was demonstrated at the romaz meet a while back.
100% agreed. Noise will somehow find its way to get into your system. No matter what a great DAC you have, it still benefits from power conditioning and/or quality power cables. At least this was my conclusion after using Schiit Yggdrasil for years and Peachtree Audio DACs prior to that. Even a $800-1,000 power distributor made a significant difference in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back