1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893
895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904
Next

Last
  1. Amberlamps

This must be the In-denial Dave owner's thread.

I know, it's hard, but with time your denial will become less and less and you all will begin to accept that £4000, really can be better than £8500.

:)

TT2 > Dave, well, atleast my one is, cheers rob

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Triode User
    Wind up merchant with your warped sense of humour and hiding text in your post!

Amberlamps likes this.
  3. Amberlamps
    :)

It's close though.

4. George Hincapie
    What is it? A Dalek? Are we in danger?!

5. adyc
    Dump the dual coaxial links and change to optical. Coaxial is RF hotbed.

racebit likes this.
  6. racebit
    You beat me by a few seconds...

The only thing I would really want on next DAVE is 768K optical input. Everything else is fine as is to me. USB and BNCs are the devil to me.
    That could be really DAVE 1.1, and that alternate port could even be developed by someone else under Rob guidance, to free Rob for the things that only he can do (eg Davina, DX amps, 2MScaler, etc). Working on an advanced optical port may be a waste of Rob time here on earth :)

7. iDesign
    Agreed. The DAVE isn't an iPhone that was designed with planned obsolescence and needs to be updated annually with trivial features to stay relevant. Spare me the wishlists.

Peter Hyatt and Triode User like this.
  8. llamaluv
    I'm looking for a high quality programmable remote to replace the DAVE's, which I dislike very much.

Ideally, it would be made of metal and consist of just two large buttons. Naturally, this is too much to ask. But anything that is compact, sturdy (and not 100% plastic), has less than 200 buttons and does not look mega-nerdy would be worth considering, just to get away from the stock remote.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  9. AndrewOld
    Ask them for the small remote. I got mine free. It is small and has far fewer buttons, and they all do something useful - Volume up and down, next/previous input, mute, on/off. Still plastic though. The big remote that came with the DAVE originally did indeed let the product down - most of the buttons had no useful function, and it was annoying in particular that there was no way of directly selecting an input. Nor of controlling an M Scaler. Perhaps because listening with headphones is a big part of Chords market they don’t appreciate the value of a remote control, so we are stuck with an afterthought.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    llamaluv likes this.
  10. llamaluv
    Ah, I am talking about the newer, smaller remote, although I can see now based on what I had originally wrote why you might have assumed I was referring to the larger one with the vestigial buttons. :)

AndrewOld likes this.
  11. tunes
    How do you put DAVE in standby mode??

12. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Just turn it off via the remote. That will put it in Standby mode. The switch on the back shuts it off completely.

13. ray-dude
    FWIW, I recently added some Ingress Audio Level 3 rollerball isolation cups to my DAVE. (See http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm for Barry Diament’s original write up)

I already had a Acoustic Revive TB-38H stand and Black Ravioli pads, so I was expecting a very minor to negligible SQ change by adding some horizontal vibration isolation.

I was absolutely shocked. This was one of the biggest SQ impacts I’ve ever heard in my system. When the audio group was over, much startled cussing was heard (What?!?) after I put the isolation bowls in.

I can’t say how unique the positive impact is to my set up (need to experiment in a couple other setups to say), but now I am a true believer in mechanical isolation (holy crap!!)

MUCH more experimentation to come.

For other Dave owners, a quickie experiment with marbles and porcelain dishes may be worthwhile to see if it is worth your while to invest in some custom machined bowls (Id love to hear what your hear)

14. TheAttorney
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with the further experimentation - I think there is a whole world of possibilities. I expect the success of any footer design to be highly affected by the surface it is resting on.

Sounds like the Ingres rollerballs can outperform the Black Ravilolis, but I won't be rushing out to buy the rollerballs just yet - a 2-piece solution that includes a ball bearing is the sort of thing that will go wrong in my household, especially when I'm often moving stuff around my hifi rack. I can just imagine a ball bearing shooting off across the floor and rolling under the heaviest piece of furniture in my room (this sort of thing really does happen to me).

The Ingres designer reckons the (low frequency) vibrations, that his rollerballs are trying to reduce, are caused by earth itself (transmitting both natural and man-made vibrations). Which may or may not be true - it's not really something that can easily be verified either way. But it does attempt to answer my earlier question of what is the source of vibration that that impacts SQ in DAVE and similar products?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  15. tunes
    Is any vibration discussion relevant to headphone only users? The vibration from leakage of sound via headphones can’t really have a major impact on DAVE’s SQ could it?

First

Back
884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893
895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904
Next

Last