CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #13,366 of 25,821
The headphone output from the dCS website:

Headphone Outputs

1 stereo balanced pair on 1x 4-way male XLR connector. 1 stereo unbalanced pair on 1x 6.35mm (1/4”) 3-pole jack. Full-scale output levels are 1.4W rms into 33Ω, 0.15W rms into 300Ω. Output levels are 0, -10, -20, -30dB, set in the menu. Minimum headphone impedance is 33Ω.

This is identical output power to Dave - and is presumably in balanced mode against Dave's more transparent single ended. Note also that the minimum headphone impedance is 33Ω, suggesting that it doesn't have much current output (Dave's is 8Ω).

Wow, so many headphones are 32 ohms (like Grados) and are below their minimum threshold...not good.

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #13,367 of 25,821
Commercial ADC's are not very good or transparent; hence why Davina's ADC.

Davina will also allow redbook conversion to M scaled files; I plan to M scale some of my music to play back on planes with Hugo 2. Of course, its pure digital to digital transfer, so in effect I will be listening to M scaled music without carrying around an M scaler. Perhaps we may see music being re-released as 705/768 kHz M scaled...

I found just now this old but very interesting post of yours, Rob. Could you please explain why Davina can output an MScaled redbook and MScaler cannot. I didn't even imagine Davina contains a MScaler (but I am sure the MScaler contains a MScaler).
Is that because Davina has USB out and MScaler does not?
If Davina contains a Mscaler, does that mean that it samples at a smaller frequency (eg redbook) and then mscales it before putting it out?
Thanks.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #13,368 of 25,821
Thank you for this. What a difference a day makes. My opinion and the consensus over the past few years was that the Chord DAVE was superior to the dCS Rossini and Vivaldi. Most of those reviews pointed to their bright, fatiguing, analytical, and sterile tonal qualities (anyone can do a Google search and see all those comments and for example, Seterophile). Given that the dCS Barkók is largely based on the Rossini's DNA and the same up-sampling and digital filters, etc. etc. I have to question some of the recent Bartók impressions. The dubious flipflop of opinions is the very problem with subjective reviews that use rosy superlatives to describe hi-fi audio equipment. Something can’t summarily be worse but better, now but not then. So which is it? Certainly measurements don’t always tell the full story but I appreciate that Rob Watts puts the AP measurements out there which often speak for themselves. I will listen to the dCS Bartók soon and report back.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #13,369 of 25,821
I found just now this old but very interesting post of yours, Rob. Could you please explain why Davina can output an MScaled redbook and MScaler cannot. I didn't even imagine Davina contains a MScaler (but I am sure the MScaler contains a MScaler).
Is that because Davina has USB out and MScaler does not?
If Davina contains a Mscaler, does that mean that it samples at a smaller frequency (eg redbook) and then mscales it before putting it out?
Thanks.

Yes Davina has a USB out, and full range of digital in; so it can function as analogue>digital (768) or digital (48)>digital (768 - M scaling) or digital (768) >digital (48 decimation) - the numbers are for illustration purposes, it's not limited to those numbers.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #13,370 of 25,821
Yes Davina has a USB out, and full range of digital in; so it can function as analogue>digital (768) or digital (48)>digital (768 - M scaling) or digital (768) >digital (48 decimation) - the numbers are for illustration purposes, it's not limited to those numbers.

Thanks Rob.
Could you explain what is the function of a MScaler on the ADC functionality itself? I assume it has an important role for it to be included there, as we know the MScaler can induce noise on analog sections, that being the reason you chose to not integrate it in your DACs. The ADC, like the DACs has an analog section I am sure you would not want to risk potential noise unless the MScaler really has to be there.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #13,372 of 25,821
The intent is to only use the M scaler for digital inputs - so it's not being used when recording (a different FPGA program is used for that).

Thanks, that makes it clear.
I hope some day that digital conversion capability (or really USB out capability) can arrive to a future model of MScaler, as I am very interested in it (as many others I guess for mobile mscaled listening), but I am afraid of the cost of such a super high end device as Davina, while I don't really need the ADC function, which should be the costlier part by far.
Wish all the best with all your ongoing projects. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #13,374 of 25,821
Hello all.

I currently have the TT2 & HMS driving my T8000/Stax 009s

My dealer has an upgrade opportunity. Trade in my TT2 and get a Dave.

Has anyone done this? Big improvement?

Upgrade your T8000.
Have a look and research on the Stax threads - you will come to the same conclusion

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #13,375 of 25,821
Hello all.

I am a 2 channel guy so can’t comment about your headphones but I do have TT2 and Dave with HMS and in my opinion the DaveHMS is a stunning upgrade on the TT2 HMS but only you can decide by listening I’m afraid.

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #13,376 of 25,821
I am a 2 channel guy so can’t comment about your headphones but I do have TT2 and Dave with HMS and in my opinion the DaveHMS is a stunning upgrade on the TT2 HMS but only you can decide by listening I’m afraid.

What was the difference in cost? Do you feel the performance increase that you perceived justified the additional expense?

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #13,377 of 25,821
What was the difference in cost? Do you feel the performance increase that you perceived justified the additional expense?

You can look up the difference in cost in whichever country you are in but yes, I thought the difference in cost here in the uk was more than repaid in the quality difference.

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #13,378 of 25,821
Hello all.

Big difference for me what I went from a straight TT to a DAVE, but don’t know about the TT2. If your dealer is any good he will let you listen at home and make your own mind up.

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #13,379 of 25,821
You can look up the difference in cost in whichever country you are in but yes, I thought the difference in cost here in the uk was more than repaid in the quality difference.

Interesting. Must be some improvement. Surprising given how highly everyone speaks of the TT2. I wouldn't have though it would be that much of a difference. Not the night and day difference I would expect for the cost at least.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #13,380 of 25,821
Interesting. Must be some improvement. Surprising given how highly everyone speaks of the TT2. I wouldn't have though it would be that much of a difference. Not the night and day difference I would expect for the cost at least.

As ever it is down to the individual doing the listening and the sound that they prefer but for me that Dave transparency is in a different class compared to TT2 and that applies all the way through the frequency spectrum. I was also surprised that for me at least the Dave bass was tighter and with greater clarity of notes. So if one has the money willing and able to be spent on HiFi then the Dave is a no brainer provided that one doesn’t need or want the extra output power from the TT2. This is not to take anything away from TT2 which is a class act in itself but rather that the Dave is even better and by some margin. All IMHO and YMMV but I am pretty sure of what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back