CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #10,201 of 25,991
Just got my hands on a DAVE and it's the clear winner vs. Yggy for classical - I'm listening to a HIP recording of Haydn, Festetics Quartet's Complete String Quartets, which never sounded quite right on the Yggy, but with DAVE it's perfect. I could listen to this all night. Pop/Rock/Indie/Rap though, think I'm liking the Yggy more. Father John Misty through the DAVE seems a little boring, something I never feel with the Yggy. Same listening to Charles Bradley. And I can only keep one.. this is going to be a really tough decision. Wonder if my ears will get used to DAVE for pop.
First world problem!

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #10,202 of 25,991
Interesting view from another Yggdrasil owner.
I am currently selling myself and did not have the same choice as you. For me the Dave bested the Yggy in everything, along with 5-6 friends I had A/B with me.

It's not even close to my ears in favour of the DAVE. That said, the Yggy offers good value considering the price point.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #10,203 of 25,991
Interesting view from another Yggdrasil owner.
I am currently selling mine and did not have the same choice as you. For me the Dave bested the Yggy in everything, along with 5-6 friends I had A/B with me.

Written after only an hour of first hearing it, so very first impressions. On further listening I'm finding non-classical music to be highly variable based on the recording. Frank Ocean's Blond sounded fantastic, as did a Fiery Furnaces album and especially Elvis Costello's My Aim is True. Starting to feel like the answer is forming to keep DAVE (and hope my girlfriend never finds out how much I paid for it)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #10,204 of 25,991
Hey, does anyone know if the Dave has a line out?

For example, I want to be able to have my fiance listen to music via another amp (different headphones/different volume) but I want to use my Abyss with the headphone out on the Dave with Dave's volume.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #10,205 of 25,991

For example, I want to be able to have my fiance listen to music via another amp (different headphones/different volume) but I want to use my Abyss with the headphone out on the Dave with Dave's volume.

No it doesn’t have any fixed line out. All outputs, RCA, XLR and the headphone jack, are controlled by the volume control. Dave can be set to DAC mode but all this does is to set all the outlets to -3dB.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #10,206 of 25,991

Refer to the manual. balanced xlr, unbalanced rca but
DAC Mode
Dave can be used with the inbuilt volume control to drive an amplifier directly but should you wish to use it with a preamplifier or AV amplifier it can be switched to DAC Mode.

Simultaneously pressing both left and right buttons on the top panel will activate DAC mode and this will be indicated on the bottom right of the display. DAC mode fixes the output level to 3dB (3V unbalanced, 6V balanced line level output) and deactivates the volume control along with some remote control functions. This mode is remembered even when the power is turned off.

To turn off DAC mode simply press both left and right buttons at the same time until you see ‘Digital Pre’ on the bottom right of the display.

Please note that inserting headphones into the front jack socket will automatically deactivate DAC mode. This is so that you can adjust the volume level for safe headphone listening.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #10,207 of 25,991
No it doesn’t have any fixed line out. All outputs, RCA, XLR and the headphone jack, are controlled by the volume control. Dave can be started up in DAC mode but all this does is to set (all) the outlets to a particular level. The setting is overridden if the volume control is subsequently adjusted and that adjustment applies to all outputs simultaneously.

Well.my DAVE in DAC mode stays at a fixed -3db irrespective of its volume control. So, unless I've missed something, DAVE definitely does have a fixed line output.
It's probabbly a moot point anyway, as DAVE's volume control is very transparent, so you could consider even the pre-amp mode to be a fixed line output that is infinitely adjustable to perfectly match the input sensitivity of your amp.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #10,208 of 25,991
Well.my DAVE in DAC mode stays at a fixed -3db irrespective of its volume control. So, unless I've missed something, DAVE definitely does have a fixed line output.
It's probabbly a moot point anyway, as DAVE's volume control is very transparent, so you could consider even the pre-amp mode to be a fixed line output that is infinitely adjustable to perfectly match the input sensitivity of your amp.

I was trying to do three things at once and clearly I cannot multitask. I have corrected my post!!

Agreed about your comment though with regard to just selecting the volume to give whatever output level suits the amplifier. That's all the DAC setting does anyway but to a set output.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #10,209 of 25,991
Written after only an hour of first hearing it, so very first impressions. On further listening I'm finding non-classical music to be highly variable based on the recording. Frank Ocean's Blond sounded fantastic, as did a Fiery Furnaces album and especially Elvis Costello's My Aim is True. Starting to feel like the answer is forming to keep DAVE (and hope my girlfriend never finds out how much I paid for it)
DAVE remasters your entire record collection: everything should sound different. Sometimes shockingly so...

Now playing: Piano Magic - I am the Sub-librarian

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #10,210 of 25,991
DAVE boring? Blasphemy. That's the last thing I would say about the DAVE. I've run out of good adjectives to say about DAVE. I need a new Thesaurus.
It may need a little break-in. Just keep listening.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #10,211 of 25,991
I was worried about the same thing, especially spending this much money.
That being said, the Dave is one of the best purchases I have made in my lifetime thus far.
Just ordered a DAVE (so excited) and wondering if the stock DAVE power cord should be replaced for the claimed improvement with the likes of Shunyata power cables?? If the difference is marginal would rather save my money.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #10,212 of 25,991
Group Buy

Clearer Audio Silver Reference Coax digital

( Oppertunity for DAVE + Blu II owners )

If we order 5-10 pairs 2x BNC from Clearer Audio ,then Darren will give us 20% in discount at checkout.

( If we buy more than 10 pairs then he can stretch it slightly more, but he said that the margin is not that high because of the already fairly low price, and because of the expensive 6N silver he is using. )

When we have reached 5 or more members who are willing to go ahead and purchase
2x CA Silver Reference BNC - BNC, then i will contact Darren at Clearer Audio and then afterwords each of you can
e-mail Darren enquiries@cleareraudio.com with the lenght you need and your other details to complete the purchase with 20% in discount.

Im hoping to e-mail Darren later next week if there is a intrest in a group buy.

Please PM If you are interested.

I have set the deadline until next
Friday 9/3-2018

Members that has shown intrest for a group buy is:

@Beolab
@Clive101
@adyc
@nbarnard36

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #10,213 of 25,991
Just ordered a DAVE (so excited) and wondering if the stock DAVE power cord should be replaced for the claimed improvement with the likes of Shunyata power cables?? If the difference is marginal would rather save my money.

Well my response is so predictable it is boring. Save your money and put it in a Blu2 fund.

Sure, if you want a "100% shielded low-resistance power cord system" (to quote from Shunyata) then buy some Belden shielded 2.5mm2 cable and put your own plugs on which is what I have done where some longer cable runs were needed.

But then I am a killjoy.

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #10,214 of 25,991

Just get your DAVE and be happy, listen to it, enjoy your music. Although some of its quality is evident the moment you first hear it, other aspects of the improvement it makes take a while for you to become aware of. Among these is that you become aware after a while that you are much less aware of your hi-fi.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #10,215 of 25,991

I've got Shunyata Sigma Digital cable connected to the DAVE and Shunyata Sigma Analog to my Moon 430HA. These cables are great. I was able to hear improvement immediately at first listening session with these power cables. You can PM me, if you have more questions. I'm also considering sale of both cables, because I'm thinking about some better power conditioning solution for my whole rig, but for sure I will come back to Shunyata again in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back