CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #10,171 of 25,884
For FLAC files is there any difference between PCM and DSD mode on the Dave?

I know they're different formats, I am just curious if it only applies to it's respective file type or if it's global for all files somehow.

On the DAVE, PCM+ mode is distinct from DSD+ mode. Both will play PCM (and FLAC as compressed PCM) and DSD, but each is optimized for one or the other. I recall Rob mentioning that he put a lot of effort into getting an auto switch between the paths, but couldn't make it all fit.

I can hear a difference between the two, but it is the difference between awesome and just a hair awesomer. I used to occasionally switch back and forth when doing critical listening with my DSD content, but now I just leave it on PCM+ and enjoy the music.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #10,172 of 25,884
On the DAVE, PCM+ mode is distinct from DSD+ mode. Both will play PCM (and FLAC as compressed PCM) and DSD, but each is optimized for one or the other. I recall Rob mentioning that he put a lot of effort into getting an auto switch between the paths, but couldn't make it all fit.

I can hear a difference between the two, but it is the difference between awesome and just a hair awesomer. I used to occasionally switch back and forth when doing critical listening with my DSD content, but now I just leave it on PCM+ and enjoy the music.

If you watch movies through the DAVE as well, you will find that DSD mode has lower latency so virtually unnoticeable lip sync issues. It's a good workaround when music quality isn't as important but you still want to use your audio rig.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #10,173 of 25,884
Thanks for the thoughts you guys.
For general music files would you guys prefer PCM+ or DSD mode? From what I am gathering it seems that PCM+ mode should be my pick.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #10,174 of 25,884
Thanks for the thoughts you guys.
For general music files would you guys prefer PCM+ or DSD mode? From what I am gathering it seems that PCM+ mode should be my pick.

Unless you're playing DSD files. :)

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #10,175 of 25,884
Feb 25, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #10,176 of 25,884
Feb 25, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #10,177 of 25,884
Sorry to double post so quickly.
Do you by chance know how to play dsf files on a PC?

I'm using Audirvana 3 and my iMac via USB (Audioquest Coffee cable). You need a player like Audirvana that can play dsf files.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #10,179 of 25,884
The big question that I have regarding this issue then is the following one. Do you think that, in your opinion of course, it will be possible at some point, with appropriate technology, to extract the same level of musical reproduction from 44.1kHz recordings, as from hirez recordings?
My guess at this stage is yes - in terms of musical reproduction - in this I mean their will always be SQ differences based on AB tests - but I think the musicality consequences will be small. But we will know for sure with the Davina project!

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #10,181 of 25,884
Just my 2 cents, but many of the so-called hi-rez PCM files sound more shrill and fatiguing than the regular old redbook CDs I rip.

This is true on my DAVE, but also on my Hugo TT and classic Hugo that preceded it. It's always been a mystery to me why this is, but that's what I hear.

The hi-rez files are almost too clean and shiny sounding. DAVE does a remarkable job with my files ripped from decades-old CDs. It's a miracle in my book. (DAVE weaves straw into gold.)

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #10,183 of 25,884
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #10,184 of 25,884
My guess at this stage is yes - in terms of musical reproduction - in this I mean their will always be SQ differences based on AB tests - but I think the musicality consequences will be small. But we will know for sure with the Davina project!
Great, thanks for letting us know. We're all interested in music anyway. Whether there are any differences which won't change our perception of the music, is less important to audiophile community.

In other words, guys, enjoy your hirez music for now, because at a certain point of time, it won't matter anymore. Whatever you put through this future product will sound "perfect".

Get your MP3s ready! :D

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #10,185 of 25,884
Now and again I get 'motivated' to revisit old sites/threads just to 'catch-up'
this review interested me for several reasons:-
https://audiobacon.net/2018/02/15/w...headphone-amplifier-15000-musical-indulgence/
I couldn't believe there were no comments,so I posted one!(unusual for me!)
I then went back to the 15th Feb(date of review) on this thread to note if there had been any response to this review!
Interestingly not! However,there has been several comments since that date which make this review relevant.
One question concerning the use of the Abyss Phi(with the DAVE) and another questioning the need for an external Amp instead of the DAVE!
So, perhaps the review may provoke some response here which I would be interested to note??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back