CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 8, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #4,591 of 25,919
  How can effective damping require such a sophisticated high-tech design with expensive materials and thousands of hours of development efforts? I strongly suspect that the same effect can be achieved with a cheap DIY design – maybe you just have to do some experiments to get this far or almost as far for a fraction of the asked price.

I believe you can achieve a lot with a cheap DIY design, perhaps not as elegantly or compactly but certainly with equivalent functionality.  I own no Stillpoints or similarly expensive footers but having now experienced how the Stillpoints transformed a large Pass Labs amplifier and my SACD transport, I am a believer and can better appreciate the satisfaction they bring to those that own them.  As @shuttlepod expressed, vibration control under speaker cabinets, power supplies, distribution blocks, and line conditioners can make an even greater difference but I believe the true magic occurs when you "float" your entire system as the cumulative impact can indeed be significant and very satisfying.  Once experienced, I doubt anyone here would want it any other way.  Admittedly, the impact of vibration control was more subtle with the DAVE and while I could easily live with what I get without any special anti-vibration accoutrements, for the small asking price of a quad of Black Raviolis and not having to deal with the unsightly mess of a large sandbag, I have found them worthwhile.  

...which borders on usuries in my book.

I agree, unfortunately, much of audiophiledom is this way.

But one thing I wonder: Is there also an effect in the case of pure headphone listening, or are the reports exclusively referring to speaker listening? 

The benefits of vibration control can be more readily evident with speaker listening but in my opinion, no less important with headphone listening.  An audio signal is extremely fragile and its integrity is easily influenced by any electronic component responsible for its propagation and since all electronic components, even cables, vibrate, you don't need large solid-borne influences from your listening room to impact it.  With the Silver Dragon headphone cable that we both own, for example, notice how microphonic the undamped portion of that cable is with respect to the portion that is thickly insulated and much better damped.  Cheaply made headphone cables can be microphonic throughout and I struggle to understand how this is tolerable to anyone.  For those who have explored a DHC cable like the Complement4 or Prion4, you have undoubtedly noticed there is a Spore option that adds $600.  What does this provide?  Isolation and dampening and it does make a difference and it has nothing to do with isolating against the sonic impact of loud blaring speakers or an exploding subwoofer. 

As DAVE owners, we are more immune to the issues that plague most other headphone and speaker listeners because not only is our DAC nicely isolated against its own induced resonances but so is our preamp and our headphone amp since they are all coupled to the same large billet of aluminium that functions as both drain and dissipator.   For other headphone listeners, especially those that use tube electronics or oversized transformers, internal vibrations caused by the components themselves can be significant.  Just ask those that own a tube headphone amp why they're using tube dampeners and I'm sure all will tell you it's because they make a difference.   This obviously applies even more so to headphone listeners who listen to moving media such as turntables and CD players.  Yes, the loud output from speakers will especially influence these components but I have found that the benefits of vibrational control in terms of black background, clarity, focus and soundstage integrity are easily noticeable even with low volume listening which is how I listen to most of my music these days.   While the benefits of vibration control with the DAVE in my report were largely limited to speakers, the cumulative benefits of floating my DAVE along with my mains cables, line conditioner, power supplies, SACD transport and even my microRendu are well worthwhile on headphones also and need not be expensive to apply. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #4,592 of 25,919
  Neither  a bag of lentils, or  rice nor the  Scotch brites which I keep under my Hugo, will interfere with any clocks. But  will provide all isolation needed.
Sometimes I have to laugh out loud, at the expenses and super expensive  materials some people seem to need before their vanity and bragging rights are satisfied.
Do any of you guys ever listen to music for music ´s sake?

Right back at you, Christer.  As an owner of a Hugo and HE1000, do you believe your comments will get much sympathy from the audiophile who can barely afford more than his second-hand cassette playing Walkman and the stock headphones that came with it yet loves his music no less than you?

During a conversation with Joshua Bell late last year, he indicated to me that he recently upgraded his $4 million Gibson Stradivarius to another Stradivarius that was worth almost $15 million dollars because it sounded better and allowed him to play better.  It's unfortunate there are those who will automatically assume he did it for the sake of vanity and bragging rights and then go so far as being condescendingly critical on a public forum.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #4,593 of 25,919
Thanks, y'all!

@Bigfatpaulie, as with anything a grain of salt is just that, only a grain, but to me the PS300 was a godsend. It gives me as close to perfect of a sine wave as you'll get, and it's balanced on top of that. You can certainly hear the difference by taking it out of the chain and plugging into the wall. You've lost a lot of clarity and instrument seperation without it. Easily a 15% increase. I can't claim the same thing with any other piece in my chain...not even my iFi iUSB 3.0, which I'm still deciding whether it benefits the DAVE at all. My DAVE is so new that it's difficult to tell.

@bigfatpaulie sorry for your wallet

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #4,594 of 25,919
  Neither  a bag of lentils, or  rice nor the  Scotch brites which I keep under my Hugo, will interfere with any clocks. But  will provide all isolation needed.
Sometimes I have to laugh out loud, at the expenses and super expensive  materials some people seem to need before their vanity and bragging rights are satisfied.
Do any of you guys ever listen to music for music ´s sake?

I understand your point of view. At the end of the day, some people love to pay for electronics (eg. clock), others love to pay for other things (power cords, cables, isolation, power regenerators, wall receptacles, tubes, etc). There are also many articles, many of which have measurements to back things up, 'proving' that these make no difference.

Personally, it was a moment of annoyance (not another tweak to worry about) when I first found that something as innocent as a power cord could make a clearly discernible difference. Today, I'm still not the type of person who'll spend a few K on a power cord, but I don't dismiss it as crazy.

I think your post would be much more powerful if it had been phrased as, for example, 'I've tried these things, that you all find make a difference, but I personally don't hear any improvement'. Also, if you were talking about a Hugo (which I also own, btw), perhaps that would be most useful for those who are browsing the Hugo thread.

Just my two cents.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #4,595 of 25,919
Thanks, y'all!

@Bigfatpaulie, as with anything a grain of salt is just that, only a grain, but to me the PS300 was a godsend. It gives me as close to perfect of a sine wave as you'll get, and it's balanced on top of that. You can certainly hear the difference by taking it out of the chain and plugging into the wall. You've lost a lot of clarity and instrument seperation without it. Easily a 15% increase. I can't claim the same thing with any other piece in my chain...not even my iFi iUSB 3.0, which I'm still deciding whether it benefits the DAVE at all. My DAVE is so new that it's difficult to tell.

Good to hear.  I really made a mistake by letting my P3 go.  I've been hunting for a P300 because I love the size.  A big congrats again on the DAVE.

Congrats, EVOLVIST!
smile.gif

Same here. What a difference a cable makes! New love since it hangs on a Black Dragon.

Yes.  I find it is actually becoming my favorite setup.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,596 of 25,919

But one thing I wonder: Is there also an effect in the case of pure headphone listening, or are the reports exclusively referring to speaker listening?

The benefits of vibration control can be more readily evident with speaker listening but in my opinion, no less important with headphone listening.  An audio signal is extremely fragile and its integrity is easily influenced by any electronic component responsible for its propagation and since all electronic components, even cables, vibrate, you don't need large solid-borne influences from your listening room to impact it.  With the Silver Dragon headphone cable that we both own, for example, notice how microphonic the undamped portion of that cable is with respect to the portion that is thickly insulated and much better damped.  Cheaply made headphone cables can be microphonic throughout and I struggle to understand how this is tolerable to anyone.  For those who have explored a DHC cable like the Complement4 or Prion4, you have undoubtedly noticed there is a Spore option that adds $600.  What does this provide?  Isolation and dampening and it does make a difference and it has nothing to do with isolating against the sonic impact of loud blaring speakers or an exploding subwoofer. 

The «microphonics» we're talking of in headphone cables aren't electrical currents induced by mechanical vibration, just acoustic vibrations (the term is actually wrong for this case, but certainly tolerable in cases with no risk of misunderstandings). As long as there's no magnetic field in close proximity, the risk to get effective microphonics is unlikely. However, I won't exclude some sort of mechanical vibration among the cunductors within the cable induced by the currents and feeding back in the form of harmonic distortion. Maybe that's the reason for the recommendation of cotton as damping component. On the other hand, air is considered the best material for the dielectric, which would be a contradiction...

As DAVE owners, we are more immune to the issues that plague most other headphone and speaker listeners because not only is our DAC nicely isolated against its own induced resonances but so is our preamp and our headphone amp since they are all coupled to the same large billet of aluminium that functions as both drain and dissipator.   For other headphone listeners, especially those that use tube electronics or oversized transformers, internal vibrations caused by the components themselves can be significant.  Just ask those that own a tube headphone amp why they're using tube dampeners and I'm sure all will tell you it's because they make a difference.   This obviously applies even more so to headphone listeners who listen to moving media such as turntables and CD players.  Yes, the loud output from speakers will especially influence these components but I have found that the benefits of vibrational control in terms of black background, clarity, focus and soundstage integrity are easily noticeable even with low volume listening which is how I listen to most of my music these days.   While the benefits of vibration control with the DAVE in my report were largely limited to speakers, the cumulative benefits of floating my DAVE along with my mains cables, line conditioner, power supplies, SACD transport and even my microRendu are well worthwhile on headphones also and need not be expensive to apply. 

I certainly don't dispute the merits of vibration control in the mentioned areas (especially speaker feet, turntables and tubes) and can easily accept the benefit from clean power (without having much corresponding experience), also the culminating effect from all the measures. I was just questioning the damping efforts around the DAVE itself in the case of a pure headphone system. You have elegantly managed to integrate the issue into a holistic view. But my interest specifically circles around the mechanism behind a possible (although implausible) effect from mechanical damping of the DAVE's housing. Against what kind of vibrations?

If we're really talking of inaudible, imperceptible vibrations with origins in movements of the earth crust or traffic, that would be a bad precondition for speaker listening. No matter how well you dampen your electronics, power amps, DACs, not to speak of crossover networks within the cabinets (even when isolated from the driver volume), there's a massive polution taking place, a few magnitudes higher than with every headphone-listening scenario. The available measures are just a drop in the bucket. With this in mind, the effort for fighting 2.5% of the existing interferences doesn't seem worth it.

Of course to each his own, and I don't even ridicule the fight against 2.5% of the interferences if the result is worth it to the one investing his efforts – since the strive for perfection is almost as important and fascinating as the resulting enhancement of listening pleasure. I have high respect for your competence, your perfectionism and the diligence with which you perform your approach, for the benefit of other forum members. My now approach is less perfectionist in practice than it was at my speaker-builder times. Apart from the (age-related) decreasing restlessness – also influenced by the quality level of my now music reproduction system – there's also the wish to dedicate more of my hobby time to music listening instead of searching for further improvements. This goes parallel with a less critical attitude during listening to music and the attempt of finally reaching a state of mind where I can enjoy the music unrestrictedly, at least when it comes to sound quality. But of course there's a backdoor: I like sound editing. And I have to find the optimal equalizer curve for each of my headphones. BTW, that's something I wonder: Most of the people with your kind of perfectionism seem to offhandedly ignore the amplitude response of their headphones (and speakers) and the there potential for massive improvements.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,597 of 25,919
I understand your point of view. At the end of the day, some people love to pay for electronics (eg. clock), others love to pay for other things (power cords, cables, isolation, power regenerators, wall receptacles, tubes, etc). There are also many articles, many of which have measurements to back things up, 'proving' that these make no difference.

Personally, it was a moment of annoyance (not another tweak to worry about) when I first found that something as innocent as a power cord could make a clearly discernible difference. Today, I'm still not the type of person who'll spend a few K on a power cord, but I don't dismiss it as crazy.

I think your post would be much more powerful if it had been phrased as, for example, 'I've tried these things, that you all find make a difference, but I personally don't hear any improvement'. Also, if you were talking about a Hugo (which I also own, btw), perhaps that would be most useful for those who are browsing the Hugo thread.

Just my two cents.

Great post! Diplomacy is cool.

There are very few things that I'm sure of in the audiophile world. I am sure of a DAC that provides the closest to the original audio source that I can get, headphones that provide the same, without overt coloration, and clean power. Otherwise, either I don't have the experiential knowledge, or I have found things to be false (for me, only). I'm not even sure if my tricked out computer, running MS Server2012R2, with Audiophile Optimizer (no filters turned on), is even the best transport for my music. Do I use Jplay mini to listen to my tracks, Jriver with Jplay, Jriver by itself, Bughead Emperor (don't even get me started), HQ Player, or what?

Power cables and interconnects? Man, I don't know. Why don't I just put a double shieled Faraday cage around my whole rig and call it a day? Talk about inexpensive! If I can't get a cell phone signal inside, nothing is getting in, either, right? Maybe. Whatever. :)

I just hope that when I die I can say that I had a lot of fun with this hobby.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4,598 of 25,919
Great post! Diplomacy is cool.

There are very few things that I'm sure of in the audiophile world. I am sure of a DAC that provides the closest to the original audio source that I can get, headphones that provide the same, without overt coloration, and clean power. Otherwise, either I don't have the experiential knowledge, or I have found things to be false (for me, only). I'm not even sure if my tricked out computer, running MS Server2012R2, with Audiophile Optimizer (no filters turned on), is even the best transport for my music. Do I use Jplay mini to listen to my tracks, Jriver with Jplay, Jriver by itself, Bughead Emperor (don't even get me started), HQ Player, or what?

Power cables and interconnects? Man, I don't know. Why don't I just put a double shieled Faraday cage around my whole rig and call it a day? Talk about inexpensive! If I can't get a cell phone signal inside, nothing is getting in, either, right? Maybe. Whatever.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just hope that when I die I can say that I had a lot of fun with this hobby.

Go for the faraday cage. 
wink.gif

Seriously though, if Rob Watts seems convinced that small vibrations in the DAVE, caused by external sound waves from speakers, or rumble from other sources, can affect the sound from DAVE, it is thought provoking. My instinctive response is no-way! but I am open minded enough to wait with interest, to hear what he discovers when he performs tests, when he returns from his current far east tour.
This has started me thinking about the implications - if it is possible that even the influence of the tidal conditions can be heard via DAVE, then what is the true noise floor? Can DAVE detect the passage of the earth through the solar magnetic field (including periods of solar flares?) - seriously it does raise the question as to whether there is a correlation between the experiences of DAVE users on this thread, and whether the the sun was more active than usual?

I am just adopting the scientific method, and exploring the possible consequences of some of the recent comments on this thread - but only Rob has the measuring and test equipment, to provide real data.
normal_smile .gif

Listening to music seems simple compared to this. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #4,600 of 25,919
Go for the faraday cage. :wink:

Seriously though, if Rob Watts seems convinced that small vibrations in the DAVE, caused by external sound waves from speakers, or rumble from other sources, can affect the sound from DAVE, it is thought provoking. My instinctive response is no-way! but I am open minded enough to wait with interest, to hear what he discovers when he performs tests, when he returns from his current far east tour.
This has started me thinking about the implications - if it is possible that even the influence of the tidal conditions can be heard via DAVE, then what is the true noise floor? Can DAVE detect the passage of the earth through the solar magnetic field (including periods of solar flares?) - seriously it does raise the question as to whether there is a correlation between the experiences of DAVE users on this thread, and whether the the sun was more active than usual?

I am just adopting the scientific method, and exploring the possible consequences of some of the recent comments on this thread - but only Rob has the measuring and test equipment, to provide real data.
normal_smile%20.gif

Maybe we should e-mail all studios and ask if they got Stilpoints under their recording gear, then ask if Tidal got their music servers on steady Stillpoints, so we make a stable vibration free chain all the way.

I have to say i can sleep very good without them. I could buy them just because of the looks maybe.,:wink:

Have a great listening evening.. !

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #4,601 of 25,919

Go for the faraday cage. 
wink.gif

normal_smile%20.gif

Those who don't care at all about the science of sound or vibration control and would prefer to simply go back to enjoying music, feel free to completely ignore this post.

It would appear that for many, vibration control for headphone listening is a voodoo concept not worthy of serious discussion but, personally, I, too, like to understand how to explain certain observations that are not easily explained.  I don't claim to be an expert on vibration control but I am indeed intrigued by comments Rob and other experts in the field have made as I am by my own observations that have been reproduced by others (not necessarily with the DAVE but other electronics similarly housed in heavy billets of aluminum).  Personally, the idea that tidal conditions and solar magnetic fields can routinely influence SQ is a bit far fetched.  Nor am I convinced that the SQ differences that are heard with devices like Stillpoints are predominantly due to external environmental forces.  Based on my discussions with those more knowledgeable and experienced in this field than myself, internal resonances produced by any and all electronic components have at least as much to do with it (and this would include cables and speakers since they pass electricity).  In other words, the enemy is within and this would potentially explain how differences can be heard in a headphone system.

Shuttlepod's assessment that in his system, after speakers, vibration control seems to make the most difference with his power supplies and line conditioner, seems to be an assessment mirrored by many.  This has puzzled me but the best explanation that has been provided to me is because AC, as an alternating or oscillating current, is vibrational by nature and so draining away and dissipating the secondary vibrations that occur as a consequence can lead to noticeable improvement in SQ.  Of interest, with my HFC MC-6 Hemisphere line conditioner, I found no significant benefit with my vibration control devices, however, could this be due to the gelatinous matrix present within the Hemisphere that was designed to quell internal resonances or the Furutech NCF receptacles used that contain mechanical dampening compounds?  Snake oil?  I'll leave that for others to decide but the point is that many of these manufacturers are claiming that the troubling resonances are coming from within.

Regarding cables, as you go up the chain to the more expensive cables, it no longer becomes about metallurgy.  At some point, it typically becomes about RF shielding and vibrational dampening.  Purist Audio Design, for example, makes a $10k mains cable filled with liquid ferox designed to serve as both an RF shield and mechanical dampener.  Similarly, HFC incorporates some type of mechanical dampener in their cables, both for their power and signal cables and some of these manufacturers have suggested to me that they are trying to buffer against internal vibrations as much as they are external forces.  As for a headphone cable being microphonic, maybe @JaZZ  and I are talking about different things and maybe I am misconstruing what is happening but with the stock cable that came with my Noble Kaiser 10 IEMS and even with the Silver Dragon that I use for it now, if you tap the chord with your finger or the chord brushes up against something, like your neck, you get a clearly audible rustling or thumping noise and so the way I am interpreting this is that there is clearly an impact on the electrical signal with the transmission of vibrational energy against the cable by local forces that has nothing to do with speaker output or reflections from nearby furniture.  

Regarding how vibrational control could impact the DAVE for headphone listening, my own theory (and I could be completely wrong) is that once again, it has more to do with internal or local forces rather than any blaring external forces.  To be upfront, during this recent evaluation of vibration control devices, my testing was performed almost exclusively with speakers (>99%); not because I didn't believe my findings weren't applicable to headphone listening but because in the past 6 weeks, I have done almost no headphone listening with my DAVE for various other reasons (and in a few days, I will explain those reasons).  At the same time, because my speaker listening has more recently been a low volume affair, it's hard for me to imagine that these low volumes are creating any significant external sonic forces that would impact the DAVE much differently than headphone listening...but who knows?  Nonetheless, while it's easy to imagine how a thunderous subwoofer could eventually penetrate through the protective anti-resonant properties of the thick billet of aluminum that the DAVE is housed in, exactly how does this mighty fortress protect the DAVE against its own internal resonances? As I stated in my report, power supply components -- as they charge and discharge, capacitors, resistors, ICs and output devices in the signal path all vibrate as they pass the audio signal and while these individual vibrations may be small, because they have the ability to locally and much more directly act on the signal (similar to me lightly running my finger down my headphone cable and inducing a rustling noise), it may not take much for these internal forces to impact SQ.  This is the theory that makes the most sense to me.

In my report, I mentioned that mechanical isolation boils down to the 3Ds -- dampening, drainage, and dissipation.  In my own simplistic way of thinking, it was easy to grasp the importance of first "D" but not the 2nd and 3rd "D" and yet the latter 2 "D"s may be more important, especially with headphone listening.  When you're trying to guard against external vibrations, like a car would want to do against a bumpy road, then a dampening mechanism like shock absorbers become important.  But when you're trying to free a component of the negative impact of its own vibrations, then drainage and dissipation of these vibrations become much more important.  Based on my own reading, solid billets of metal are very effective drains or conduits but unless there is some way to dissipate this vibrational energy (either as heat or work) in sufficient quantities, there will be no net flow of vibrational energy away from that component and this vibrational energy gets transmitted back to the component.  When we're talking about dissipation through heat, for this transfer to occur, you generally have to couple the conduit with a dissimilar substance capable of drawing or absorbing that vibrational energy away from the conduit.  And so while the DAVE's large aluminum chassis is probably serving as a very effective drain, how is the vibrational energy being dissipated?  I suppose some of this vibrational energy could be dissipated through heat exchange between the chassis and the surrounding air.  Dissipation could, in theory, also be occurring through the rubber footers beneath the DAVE.  Given the greater surface area of the Black Raviolis, these may be even more effective dissipators and indeed, as I put my finger against one of these Black Raviolis, they are quite warm.  With ball-bearing devices like Stillpoints, dissipation doesn't occur through heat as much as it does through work, usually in the form of rotation of the ball bearing(s) within.  Which is better?  My own experience has shown me that it depends.  For devices that generate large amounts of horizontal vibrational energy (like speakers, large transformers, CD players), Stillpoints are supposed to be better.  For devices where the vibrational energy is more vertical, the rubberish footers that dissipate energy through heat can be just as effective if not more so.  

Again, these are just my own observations and impressions and you may disagree.  As before, does the DAVE itself greatly benefit from mechanical isolation in a headphone system?  In my system, the answer is no and so I don't think I'm disagreeing with anyone here.  But is there zero benefit?  My ears don't tell me that and I feel comfortable standing alone in this claim if need be.  Once again, and this should have been my concluding statement all along, the real benefits lie not in isolating the DAVE but in the cumulative impact of mechanically isolating all parts of your audio chain and given how the DAVE combines three components in one, this need not be a difficult or necessarily expensive ask.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #4,602 of 25,919
I don't have Dave yet, but even if would be able to afford one, I won't be able to afford expensive cable or expensive stands. imho using a good pure copper shielded cable for interconnect and power should just be OK for Dave. if someone has extra funds , one can very well spend on those cables . imho after some level there is only slight change to the flavor of sound . for many that slight flavor change is generally good ( that can involve some psychological reasons too after spending that much cash ). for me adding few ferrite cores to power cable and digital cables has given some extremely good results at very very small costs. imho even a very good bulk power cable like furutech can also benefit with these cores. after all this there should only be a flavour change sort of thing.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #4,603 of 25,919
I'm just going to go back to enjoying listening to music.  :jecklinsmile:

Good luck on all this, folks. 

If hunting for a ps300 and being in line for a Stellaris qualifies as "just" going to go back to enjoy music, then I think we're all in the same boat :)

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #4,604 of 25,919
Right back at you, Christer.  As an owner of a Hugo and HE1000, do you believe your comments will get much sympathy from the audiophile who can barely afford more than his second-hand cassette playing Walkman and the stock headphones that came with it yet loves his music no less than you?

During a conversation with Joshua Bell late last year, he indicated to me that he recently upgraded his $4 million Gibson Stradivarius to another Stradivarius that was worth almost $15 million dollars because it sounded better and allowed him to play better.  It's unfortunate there are those who will automatically assume he did it for the sake of vanity and bragging rights and then go so far as being condescendingly critical on a public forum.

he got every right to brag, he can brag about it all day long..... because he got a very good case of being one of the very few on earth deserving a 15M violin, only a few can make it sound 15M$ and also probably is owned by someone else and given to him for playing it....
Being an audiophile or music lover does not require any talent... you can buy a 100,000$ stereo just to play background music for your diner parties....
All put aside i also admire average joe building up a good system in years with savings from many other things, becomes his joy and pride.... so let him brag as well :)

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #4,605 of 25,919
Those who don't care at all about the science of sound or vibration control and would prefer to simply go back to enjoying music, feel free to completely ignore this post.

Hey Roy... now you're throwing out the baby with the bathing water. Haven't I explicitly acknowledged the merit of vibration damping? My skepticism is limited to a case like headphone listening, where external excitement is unlikely. So it is absolutely based on scientific knowledge.

It would appear that for many, vibration control for headphone listening is a voodoo concept not worthy of serious discussion but, personally, I, too, like to understand how to explain certain observations that are not easily explained. I don't claim to be an expert on vibration control but I am indeed intrigued by comments Rob and other experts in the field have made as I am by my own observations that have been reproduced by others (not necessarily with the DAVE but other electronics similarly housed in heavy billets of aluminum). Personally, the idea that tidal conditions and solar magnetic fields can routinely influence SQ is a bit far fetched. Nor am I convinced that the SQ differences that are heard with devices like Stillpoints are predominantly due to external environmental forces. Based on my discussions with those more knowledgeable and experienced in this field than myself, internal resonances produced by any and all electronic components have at least as much to do with it (and this would include cables and speakers since they pass electricity). In other words, the enemy is within and this would potentially explain how differences can be heard in a headphone system.

That's even something I've brought up myself (if you look back) and later picked up again in the context of cables. It's absolutely imaginable and passably plausible. But think about it: How much can some special feet below DAVE's housing do against vibrations within internal electronics components? I would say it's below 1% (you could possibly achieve another percent by placing a few Shakti Stones on the top). The key point isn't to prevent the transmission of the current-induced vibrations to the furniture on which the device stands – it's the suppression of the side effects in the form of expectable harmonic distortion or other forms of interference. And the most promising approach would be to suppress the vibrations at the source, hence fully encapsulating the corresponding components or the whole internal – ideally with some liquid diamond hardening after a few hours.

Regarding cables, as you go up the chain to the more expensive cables, it no longer becomes about metallurgy. At some point, it typically becomes about RF shielding and vibrational dampening. Purist Audio Design, for example, makes a $10k mains cable filled with liquid ferox designed to serve as both an RF shield and mechanical dampener. Similarly, HFC incorporates some type of mechanical dampener in their cables, both for their power and signal cables and some of these manufacturers have suggested to me that they are trying to buffer against internal vibrations as much as they are external forces. As for a headphone cable being microphonic, maybe @JaZZ and I are talking about different things and maybe I am misconstruing what is happening but with the stock cable that came with my Noble Kaiser 10 IEMS and even with the Silver Dragon that I use for it now, if you tap the chord with your finger or the chord brushes up against something, like your neck, you get a clearly audible rustling or thumping noise and so the way I am interpreting this is that there is clearly an impact on the electrical signal with the transmission of vibrational energy against the cable by local forces that has nothing to do with speaker output or reflections from nearby furniture.

I'm sure we're talking of the same thing. Believe me, it's just mechanical noise transferred within the cable. You can test it yourself: Simply unplug the cable from the headphone output and try it again (that way current flow is virtually impossible).

Really, I didn't mean to put your efforts down! I appreciate you patience and honestly admire your devotion – and I still share your quest for an ultimately transparent and stress-free music reproduction. I just wanted to hold my own, tempered attitude against it, as I'm inclined to assume that you don't have the same patience and the peace of mind to fully and unrestrictedly enjoy listening to music (I'm just deducing that from myself); I even consider that a precondition for your dedication. All the more I wonder how you seem to avoid the greatest potential for sonic improvements (as I see/hear it): at the weakest link in every chain, the sound transducers. If there's one thing that's relatively easy to fix, at least to a large degree, it's the notoriously uneven amplitude response. Imagine how much transparency there's to be gained by eliminating the masking effect from the humps relative to the dips. That's what I'm effectively experiencing with my own equalizing efforts. Welcome «side-effects» are a more natural sound and a clearly improved transient response.

Apologies for the bother I may have caused (or maybe not)! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back