CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 9, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,621 of 26,005
Hmmm... Can't you just unplug the regular headphone cables from the HD800 and plug them into HD800S?

I can, but I will wait with changing cables. I still have to see if the Chord Dave + Auralic Taurus MKII makes any sense. Then I'll keep using the HD 800 S balanced if it is an improvement.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #4,622 of 26,005
In my many years of listening and reading about how to get the best SQ out of an audio system I have over and over heard people say or read that this or that can or can’t make any audio difference. It has been: power cables doesn’t matter or USB cables doesn’t matter or digital audio doesn’t matter because it’s only 1s and 0s and so on, the list is long. Many times those that have stated “it’s impossible” that this or that can’t affect SQ, haven’t even test it :p For them it is enough that in their mind it shouldn’t make any difference, so must be snake oil or bias. Over the years the Internet knowledge on what can affect and not affect SQ have changed many times, as we constantly get better and better understanding on things like jitter, EMI, RF etc. But I would say that we still don’t know everything and absolutely not why some things can make a difference. Some things just sound better or at least different. Some people, like Rob, are obvious more knowledge about digital audio than for example I am. To me an open mind is not to believe everything everyone says, it’s to understand that we don’t know everything and therefore most test it before dismiss it. The testing by listening, even I can do, without all the theoretical knowledge. Well if I had a DAVE to test it on will say :wink:

I don’t know if this is related but… many power conditioners are filtering by using resonation between capacitance and inductance.

And audio hum is often a mains power thing. The hum noise can be mechanical caused by for example the transformers that start to vibrate at 50/60 Hz. Normally this sort of hum can be heard from the gear itself and not thru the audio signal to your headphones. With ground-loop hum you can usually hear the hum coming from your headphones. With a 350 dBs noise floor even the smallest hum, ground-loop hum or vibration may be audible under the right circumstances. I wouldn’t roll micro vibrations out before testing it truly.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #4,623 of 26,005
Back to the music: Day-Two with my DAVE was yesterday, and it was even more blissful than the day before.

Say, has anyone listened to the DAVE and because it's so truthful, you've been able to equal revel in a recording's imperfections just as much as you would audiophile grade tracks?

I found myself doing this last night.

I put on Neil Young's classic "Harvest" album in 24/192. It was a revelation! This is an album I have heard many times, yet now I can hear all of the flubs, a little sloppy playing, and even poor recording techniques. This doesn't mean that the album sounded bad. It just means that I can now more appreciate the musical signature of the album as a whole. Actually, that should be signatures, plural, because I was asking myself, why does the production in these couple tracks sound so different than these other tracks. Then it dawned on me! Wow, historically, and now for the first time, I can hear the difference in the studios, because the album was recorded at several different ones! I knew this, but I had never HEARD this. I can now tell which songs were recorded at a different studio, at a different time! All of these factors really heightened my joy for the album, warts and all.

I think some of these older recordings can give more of an insight into what the DAVE can actually do, besides just rendering every intrument as a clean entity in the mix. There were even times where I heard some distortion in the background harmonies, and my trained studio brain immediately thought, "Oh, they hit that too hot," meaning they pegged into the red and left it as the final take. Had they had a DAVE in 1972, they might have heard that and rerecorded it.

Anyway, I think tonight will be Springsteen's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" album. This should be fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes the recordings are to poor for DAVE, is what i have said many times before, i hear also every fault / colorisation / distortion in the recording, and struggle to really find a perfect one, so we have to wait until Davina will be released.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #4,624 of 26,005
chord dacs are so transparent that they can easily uncover the flaws/limitations of recordings. now when I listen to some of the chesky recordings, I feel that chesky recordings lack microdynamics. it's like the peaks are tiny bit of stunted or artificially lack the bite. somewhere I read that chesky use tube preamp in the recording process. so the lack of microdynamics or lack of bite is due to that ? while info rate chesky content and recording very highly I still feel some offerings of opus 3 records and waterlily acoustics sound more transparent.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #4,625 of 26,005
chord dacs are so transparent that they can easily uncover the flaws/limitations of recordings. now when I listen to some of the chesky recordings, I feel that chesky recordings lack microdynamics. it's like the peaks are tiny bit of stunted or artificially lack the bite. somewhere I read that chesky use tube preamp in the recording process. so the lack of microdynamics or lack of bite is due to that ? while i rate chesky content and recording very highly, I still feel some offerings of opus 3 records and waterlily acoustics sound more transparent.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4,626 of 26,005
Yes the recordings are to poor for DAVE, is what i have said many times before, i hear also every fault / colorisation / distortion in the recording, and struggle to really find a perfect one, so we have to wait until Davina will be released.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, I LIKE to hear all of the odd things in a recording just as much as I like to listen to a perfectly recorded product, like my 1966 "Der Entführung aus dem Serail", with Josef Krips conducting this wonderful Mozart opera.

I put on Prince's song "Controvery" and I heard this digital glitch in one of the keyboard layers. Priceless! At the same time, I heard with ultimate clarity his "umph" background vocals that accents the beat on the one.

This stuff amazes me, but maybe because in the process of enjoying the music I'm also coming from a deep background as a session musician, having spent a lot of time in recording studios.

And that's my fear with the Davina, that only 15-20% of music recorded today will benefit from its attributes, because by the time it gets to the mastering houses the music will pour out like mud.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #4,627 of 26,005
Yeah, but what I'm saying is, I LIKE to hear all of the odd things in a recording just as much as I like to listen to a perfectly recorded product, like my 1966 "Der Entführung aus dem Serail", with Josef Krips conducting this wonderful Mozart opera.

I put on Prince's song "Controvery" and I heard this digital glitch in one of the keyboard layers. Priceless! At the same time, I heard with ultimate clarity his "umph" background vocals that accents the beat on the one.

This stuff amazes me, but maybe because in the process of enjoying the music I'm also coming from a deep background as a session musician, having spent a lot of time in recording studios.

And that's my fear with the Davina, that only 15-20% of music recorded today will benefit from its attributes, because by the time it gets to the mastering houses the music will pour out like mud.

I'm all in with what you are meaning.

Yes that is very sad with the Loudness DR gain obsession war, that all recordings almost from 1992 until today are burst to max gain without the great DR that is required to maintain the very best dynamics and life to the music.

It should be a penalty up to 3 month in prison if someone higher the gain to the max , that almost every commercial studio does in the final mastering!

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #4,628 of 26,005
Say, has anyone listened to the DAVE and because it's so truthful, you've been able to equal revel in a recording's imperfections just as much as you would audiophile grade tracks?

I feel the same way about DAVE. I think the reason is that the instruments and vocals are so real because of the accurate timing of the transients and timbre. So even though the recordings are old and have lots of imperfections, the instruments and vocals sound real, albeit limited by old recording technologic limitations like tapes and older microphones.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,629 of 26,005

I assume you mean the EMI/Krips /VPO Gedda/Rothenberger etc, Die Entführung aus dem Serail?
One of my favourite Opera recordings. My LPs are getting  a bit worn from all the times I have played that wonderful recording of one of the funniest and best of Operas.
The first really great operatic masterpiece from a  young musical  genius.
Like the Karajan Ring I mentioned  in an earlier post the often more simply and naturally mic´d recordings from the 60s, are actually recordings that benefit from Chord DACs, sometimes more than some modern overly multi and spotmic´d recordings made with 30 -40 mics to  be on the safe side. Recordings which  have a tendency to sound worse the higher the resolution of the DAC and reproduction system.
In those days recording engineers had both the time and the expertize to put a few good mics in the right places,set levels, and  then let the conductor decide the balance.
I haven´t  seen the Krips " Die Entführung aus dem Serail" as hi res download .But another  Mozart Opera gem from the analogue era has just arrived as 24/96 download from DGG . Böhm´s  classic recording of Die Zauberflöte.
It  still sounds very good on LP but I am pretty sure the digital re-master just like the Karajan Ring, will reveal even more of the beauty of that classic Opera recording.
Like Wagner´s Ring it is also full of timbral beauty,fantastic singing and lots of depth and air and bloom and coherence, too often missing from many modern digital, "throw all the  mics you´ve got at the orchestra", recordings.
Mozart´s  masterpiece Figaro is already available in several  digitally recorded versions and one to avoid is the terribly close an spot-mic´d Sony recording by Currentzis.
Via DAVE it sounded absolutely horrible, and almost as bad via Hugo.
One of  the expensive hi res downloads I regret buying.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that before long Böhm´s classic mid 60s DGG Figaro recording will become available too.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #4,630 of 26,005

I assume you mean the EMI/Krips /VPO Gedda/Rothenberger etc, Die Entführung aus dem Serail?
One of my favourite Opera recordings. My LPs are getting  a bit worn from all the times I have played that wonderful recording of one of the funniest and best of Operas.
The first really great operatic masterpiece from a  young musical  genius.
Like the Karajan Ring I mentioned  in an earlier post the often more simply and naturally mic´d recordings from the 60s, are actually recordings that benefit from Chord DACs, sometimes more than some modern overly multi and spotmic´d recordings made with 30 -40 mics to  be on the safe side. Recordings which  have a tendency to sound worse the higher the resolution of the DAC and reproduction system.
In those days recording engineers had both the time and the expertize to put a few good mics in the right places,set levels, and  then let the conductor decide the balance.
I haven´t  seen the Krips " Die Entführung aus dem Serail" as hi res download .But another  Mozart Opera gem from the analogue era has just arrived as 24/96 download from DGG . Böhm´s  classic recording of Die Zauberflöte.
It  still sounds very good on LP but I am pretty sure the digital re-master just like the Karajan Ring, will reveal even more of the beauty of that classic Opera recording.
Like Wagner´s Ring it is also full of timbral beauty,fantastic singing and lots of depth and air and bloom and coherence, too often missing from many modern digital, "throw all the  mics you´ve got at the orchestra", recordings.
Mozart´s  masterpiece Figaro is already available in several  digitally recorded versions and one to avoid is the terribly close an spot-mic´d Sony recording by Currentzis.
Via DAVE it sounded absolutely horrible, and almost as bad via Hugo.
One of  the expensive hi res downloads I regret buying.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that before long Böhm´s classic mid 60s DGG Figaro recording will become available too.

Yes, sir, that's the very same recording with Gedda & Rothenberger of Die Entführung...Gottlob Frick was still amazing, even for a man of 60 at the time of this recording. Frick was the quintessential Osmin. In fact, he's probably my favorite bass.

Are we talking about the Böhm Figaro from 1968 w/ Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau & Edith Mathis? This one is on CD; I believe I have it burned to Flac, or am I missing an earlier recording?

I'm currently trying to round out my Debussy collection with all of the best recordings, but it's proving to be a difficult task. Any suggestions? I'm also trying to round out my Biber and Fux recordings. The DAVE has given me a new impetus.

That Frick, Die Entführung, though, is just amazing on my DAVE, as I'm sure it is if you've heard it on your Mojo.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #4,631 of 26,005
Hi all,

I'm suffer from random playback problem, where the sound playback will randomly become either 1. high freq noise only, or 2. highly distort music.

It happens randomly when playback switch to a hd sample rate media, either 24/96 or DSF etc, if switch from a hd media to 44.1k sample rate media, it will not occur, seems there is communication error when switching sample rate. I can fix the noise by select "next" on my iPad Roon app to skip to next song until a different sample rate file is play, then the playback will resume normal.  If next song is of the same sample rate, I need to skip again until a diff sample rate file is play.

In scenario 1 (only high freq noise is play), the panel on DAVE keep on switching, I record a video here :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17490273/switch%20to%20HD%20media%20plaback%20with%20noise%20only.mp4

Here is video of scenario 2, highly distort music is playback
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17490273/switch%20to%20HD%20file%20play%20with%20distored%20sound.mp4

My system is :

Roon server on Synology NAS -> LAN -> switch -> mR -> DAVE

I've try swapping USB cable for mR -> DAVE, between Curious Cables USB / AQ Diamond USB, remove the Jitterbug there, both not help.

mR firmware was update from v2.2 to latest v2.3 and does not help, and it was powered by SBooster LPS.

At the mR admin page, the "DAC Diagnostics" shows the sample rate which match the media file I'm playing. DoP support is selected and Roon shows no sample rate conversion whatever media I play.

Here is the "DAC Diagnostics" when scenario 1 (only high freq noise is play) happens, a DSD64 dsf file is playing with high freq noise only, on DAVE the sample rate panel is switching between DSD64 & 176k quickly, as in the first video above.

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 176400 (176400/1)
period_size: 8820
buffer_size: 17640

This problem does not happen with my previous DAC with the same chain, and was not observed in my first week with DAVE.

Any idea ?  

As I'm not sure the cause is at mR / Roon / DAVE yet, so I post here to get some direction first, may escalate to related support forum later.

I have my previous Intel NUC + LPS + Win10 machine around, will try to setup to replace mR to see if it helps.  As I saw someone mention the Chord Windows ASIO driver for DAVE is quite nice.

Thanks
Paul

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #4,632 of 26,005
Day-Three with DAVE: The Ugly Truth.

I put on Springsteen's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" recording, and though the DAVE could seperate and translate the intruments nicely, the DAVE also demonstrated what a deal mix it is. I never realized that there were all of these conflicts in tones/frequencies for this album. I knew, historically, that Bruce ended up liking the more in-your-face mix that a guest engineer brought to the table, but under the microscope the album works as a soundscape, but not even close as a transparent mix, unlike yesterday's Neil Young offering.

Now, it didn't ruin the music for me; still, I can't unhear that mess of a mix.

I'm really glad that I got the DAVE. It certainly exposes the weak sisters, while letting the good mixed shine.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #4,633 of 26,005
Rob, thank you for very interesting post as always.

I often hear that "NFB is bad" and "NFB kills musicality" but your post suggests that Dave is having very very deep NFB utilizing the amazing 1GHz gain bandwidth.

I'm right now listening to my Dave ... and as many of the owners pointed out, Dave is with such a great musicality.

So I'm really wondering why some people hates NFB so much and believe that NFB kills musicality.
Really wondering why, on the other hand, your products are with great musicality when having very deep NFB.

Do you have any thought on this?

Negative feedback (NFB) - that's a big can of worms. After all, every audiophile knows feedback is evil, and you must have no global feedback.

Which is of course nonsense. All you are doing is reducing global feedback with more local feedback. So how did the low NFB being good myth come about?

Well firstly we have to be careful - some people like the sound of distortion - particularly if you are creating oodles of 2nd. So a report of NFB being bad may be down to a preference to higher distortion. But lets ignore that particular issue, and run through a thought experiment.

Now let us imagine you want to design an amplifier to drive a headphone or loudspeaker. And to eliminate the possibility of people liking distortion, lets assume that you have a target of 0.01% THD, that you design two amps, one low NFB, one high NFB, but both must measure with about 0.01%.

So you have a high NFB (normal) design, and to make it low NFB you use more local feedback - say in the case of bipolar use more emitter degeneration. And because there is less NFB, you can increase the open loop frequency response. But you find it will not meet the 0.01% THD, as the major source of distortion is the OP stage and there is not enough NFB to correct the OP stage - so you improve that open loop performance by either more local feedback around the OP stage, or increasing the bias current.

So now we have two amps, both measuring about the same, and I can say that for sure the low NFB amp will sound a lot smoother and more refined. So that means that low NFB must be better, surely?

No it doesn't.

Let's look at what you have done to make it low feedback.

1. Local feedback by using emitter degeneration. This makes it more linear, but also more linear at RF frequencies - and that will reduce noise floor modulation - and that will make it sound smoother.

2. Increasing bias current in the OP stage - this will reduce the HF distortion, as the annoying thing about crossover distortion is it sounds very hard due the very high frequency harmonics - indeed, Class B operation has distortion extending to infinite frequencies. So increasing bias will also make it smoother.

3. Increasing the open loop FR - this will mean that there is now more feedback available at high frequencies - and this too will make it smoother as HF distortion will be lower.

Now the issue of noise floor modulation I have talked about a lot. But high frequency distortion is also very important - indeed I always measure up to 2 MHz looking for distortion, as distortion at very high frequencies is audible. By that I mean whenever I have reduced distortion at say 100 kHz it sounds smoother. Which is crazy - how can distortion at 100 kHz be audible? Well it depends upon how that distortion is there, and some very high frequency distortion acts via changing the delay - so the delay then changes with signal level, and you can only measure this by looking way out of band. But the delay change with signal is highly audible, (it again sounds smoother by eliminating it) and its audible because it is modulating the timing of transients - not because you can hear distortion at 100 kHz.

So NFB is categorically not a problem at all, but like most things in audio, is actually very complex. People would be better off talking about minimising distortion, noise floor modulation, and HF and RF distortion. But that doesn't make for a snappy line on a sales sheet.

Rob

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #4,634 of 26,005
  Hi all,

I'm suffer from random playback problem, where the sound playback will randomly become either 1. high freq noise only, or 2. highly distort music.

It happens randomly when playback switch to a hd sample rate media, either 24/96 or DSF etc, if switch from a hd media to 44.1k sample rate media, it will not occur, seems there is communication error when switching sample rate. I can fix the noise by select "next" on my iPad Roon app to skip to next song until a different sample rate file is play, then the playback will resume normal.  If next song is of the same sample rate, I need to skip again until a diff sample rate file is play.

In scenario 1 (only high freq noise is play), the panel on DAVE keep on switching, I record a video here :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17490273/switch%20to%20HD%20media%20plaback%20with%20noise%20only.mp4

Here is video of scenario 2, highly distort music is playback
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17490273/switch%20to%20HD%20file%20play%20with%20distored%20sound.mp4

My system is :

Roon server on Synology NAS -> LAN -> switch -> mR -> DAVE

I've try swapping USB cable for mR -> DAVE, between Curious Cables USB / AQ Diamond USB, remove the Jitterbug there, both not help.

mR firmware was update from v2.2 to latest v2.3 and does not help, and it was powered by SBooster LPS.

At the mR admin page, the "DAC Diagnostics" shows the sample rate which match the media file I'm playing. DoP support is selected and Roon shows no sample rate conversion whatever media I play.

Here is the "DAC Diagnostics" when scenario 1 (only high freq noise is play) happens, a DSD64 dsf file is playing with high freq noise only, on DAVE the sample rate panel is switching between DSD64 & 176k quickly, as in the first video above.

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 176400 (176400/1)
period_size: 8820
buffer_size: 17640

This problem does not happen with my previous DAC with the same chain, and was not observed in my first week with DAVE.

Any idea ?  

As I'm not sure the cause is at mR / Roon / DAVE yet, so I post here to get some direction first, may escalate to related support forum later.

I have my previous Intel NUC + LPS + Win10 machine around, will try to setup to replace mR to see if it helps.  As I saw someone mention the Chord Windows ASIO driver for DAVE is quite nice.

Thanks
Paul

This type of behaviour also happens with the Mojo  and other dacs - the designers either allow the dac to play a short burst of the music with unknown new bitrate (ie the burst of distortion), or mute the sound output of the dac, until the dac has identified what the correct sampling rate is.

You may find something interesting in post #3 of the mojo thread, in the subsection about setting up foobar/jriver if you are losing a second fo each track.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post#

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #4,635 of 26,005
My girlfriend asked what did I get and that it looked like a controller for some kind of spaceship. But it looked nice anyway according to her :p

I have to admit, the design of the Chord Dave looks quite futuristic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back