CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 26, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #4,366 of 25,900
By the way, has anyone tried a DAVE/HD650 combination? Thanks again.

I use the combo all the time because HD650 is the only headphone that fits my small head. Ether C is too heavy. HD800 is too big. Haven't tried HE-1000. But I usually use DAVE with speakers. Only late night listening with HD650. So I'm not a head-Fi connoisseur. Sounds great.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #4,369 of 25,900
if 100 watts RMS are sufficient, benchmark ahb2 power amp must be a very good match for Dave. this is touted to be the quietest and most transparent power amp on earth. the best feature is the selectable gain mode. low gain mode allows the digital preamp of Dave or hugo to operate in higher output range thus using the high output capability of modern chord dacs in a better way. I use it with hugo and I would say this amp is like transparent window. it adds or subtracts nothing from the signal, just cleanly boosts the voltage.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,373 of 25,900
OT:

As i mentioned earlier last week, that i would receive the newly released DHC 5N Silver cable Prion4S , including some other goodies:

Prion4S Silver adapter:

As a bonus Peter made a very special cable:

Custom made:

Based on the Flagella 11 AWG speaker cable he made an banana - 4pin adapter for my Moon 600i amp instead of my Silver Dragon adapter i am using today:

And i can just say in a short, that i have not came across anything better! These cables is a huge leap forward in SQ over any other headphone cable i have heard.
My system came more to life, and this is the cream on the cake, or the last fine tuning.

For more in dept impressions please PM me:
OT:

As i mentioned earlier last week, that i would receive the newly released DHC 5N Silver cable Prion4S , including some other goodies:

Prion4S Silver adapter:

As a bonus Peter made a very special cable:

Custom made:

Based on the Flagella 11 AWG speaker cable he made an banana - 4pin adapter for my Moon 600i amp instead of my Silver Dragon adapter i am using today:

And i can just say in a short, that i have not came across anything better! These cables is a huge leap forward in SQ over any other headphone cable i have heard.
My system came more to life, and this is the cream on the cake, or the last fine tuning.

For more in dept impressions please PM me:

How Long required for he prion to burn in?

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #4,374 of 25,900
Mmm...I wish the Dave had more than 1 headphone out. That's one feature that I miss from my Chord TT. More HP out = more enjoyable top-notch HP experience. Chord TT is 90% of Chord Dave ..........EN-Ohh. Dear Lord...my Grado PS 1000 never sounded so good.....damn. YoYo Ma made me cry.....

Question: is it safe to use a power bank with the Dave? There are now power banks with AC power output. Tia.

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #4,375 of 25,900
  It appears expectation bias is certainly at play here.  There is another group of very respectable audiophiles who are presently doing a DAC shootout between a Hugo, DAVE and TotalDac d1-dual which are being used to feed both a BHSE/SR009 and what appears to be a very high-end speaker setup consisting of late model B&W speakers, Mark Levinson monoblocks, etc.  A Macbook Pro running Roon was used to feed each DAC.  During their blind testing with the BHSE/SR009, they have indicated that no one in their group of 4 individuals were able to discern any difference at all among these 3 DACs ....

Just to correct the Romaz's priceless writing, we could in fact hear a difference between the HUGO and the 2 other DACs, but we could not hear a difference between the DAVE and the TotalDAC.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #4,376 of 25,900
How Long required for he prion to burn in?

It required atleast 20h to start sound descent, then aditionally 100h to make the best HeadPhone cable i have heard. The crystals in the silver needs to form before it starts to deliver, thats for sure. It sounded a little numb and dry , and the sound sounded distant at the very first, but then it opened up, and the grain and vail vanished. The bass, mid and treable sounds balanced and playing in harmony, so you can listen 15-20% lower than you use to. The bass builds up a sense of pre tension in the air before the impact comes.
It is so calm and smooth, so i think it made more impact than many of the expensive high end modules/products i have baught trough the years. It sounds like you have baught a new ultra high end DAC or similar.

Just contact Peter @ DHC and say hi from me and Roy ( Romaz) and i can ashure you he will give you a nice deal on your Prion , but you have to wait 3-4 month, but it is worth the time and every penny.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #4,377 of 25,900
Just to correct the Romaz's priceless writing, we could in fact hear a difference between the HUGO and the 2 other DACs, but we could not hear a difference between the DAVE and the TotalDAC.

Bmichels,

I would be curious to hear your assessment of DAVE vs Mojo. I don't have Hugo but the overall consensus appears to favor Mojo over Hugo. I am also interested in hearing your opinion on DAVE vs TotalDac, especially on 2-channel set up.

By the way, did you ever get DAVE for your personal use? I know that you have been following this forum for awhile. At one point, you didn't think that DAVE was that much better than your Hugo; however, that was based on a limited Hifi show, not home, audition.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4,378 of 25,900
...the overall consensus appears to favor Mojo over Hugo.

I don't think that's true – and certainly not in my case: I prefer the Hugo to the Mojo, although not by much. With some equalizing in favor of the treble the Mojo sounds almost identical, but still the Hugo seems to sound a tiny bit more open, transparent and refined.

For me the DAVE was an even bigger step from the Hugo (and Mojo) than the Hugo was from McCormack UDP-1 and Bel Canto DAC2, both well regarded and still not too outdated.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #4,379 of 25,900
It required atleast 20h to start sound descent, then aditionally 100h to make the best HeadPhone cable i have heard. The crystals in the silver needs to form before it starts to deliver, thats for sure. It sounded a little numb and dry , and the sound sounded distant at the very first, but then it opened up, and the grain and vail vanished. The bass, mid and treable sounds balanced and playing in harmony, so you can listen 15-20% lower than you use to. The bass builds up a sense of pre tension in the air before the impact comes.
It is so calm and smooth, so i think it made more impact than many of the expensive high end modules/products i have baught trough the years. It sounds like you have baught a new ultra high end DAC or similar.

Just contact Peter @ DHC and say hi from me and Roy ( Romaz) and i can ashure you he will give you a nice deal on your Prion , but you have to wait 3-4 month, but it is worth the time and every penny.

I already have one with me, but a bit surprise for it sound on the initial, ****ty sound but you are right, they are much better now after 24 hour. Will let it run for another few day, thx!

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #4,380 of 25,900
Bmichels,

I would be curious to hear your assessment of DAVE vs Mojo. I don't have Hugo but the overall consensus appears to favor Mojo over Hugo. I am also interested in hearing your opinion on DAVE vs TotalDac, especially on 2-channel set up.

By the way, did you ever get DAVE for your personal use? I know that you have been following this forum for awhile. At one point, you didn't think that DAVE was that much better than your Hugo; however, that was based on a limited Hifi show, not home, audition.
Hi Ampus
If i remember right bmichels got to test the Hugo tt,and said he could hear no different between the Hugo and the Hugo tt.You seem to have sort of problem of not being able to hear the difference 's between the mojo and dave.I can hear the difference 's between the mojo,Hugo,hugo tt,Dave,by just using a stock hd800 headphone,and the Dave is noticeably better.IF you want to hear you're music in the most realistic way,the Dave at the moment is the best tool for doing that on this planet.If you like your music in a different flavour,then you need to be looking at different equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back