CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 25, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #4,336 of 25,909
Hi Paul. I had for a couple of days on loan the Shunyata Alpha Analogue to try out with my Dave and HIFIMAN HE1000 (source AK380). I had wanted to try the Alpha Digital but the store didn't have that. I assume the type of difference between the Sigma Analogue and Sigma Digital will be similar to the Alphas. How would you describe that difference? Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have not compare the difference between the Alpha analog to digital line with the DAVE.  I started with the Anaconda Helix over 10 years ago and there were improvements to that line versus the Alpha analog, which is remarkable as the latter is half the cost of the Helix.  The Alpha analog has an even quieter background, better isolation and 3D sound versus the Helix.
With the Sigma, these factors improve even more.  The DAVE as is already scares you with the 3D sound, the isolation and the quiet stage.  The Sigma and Alpha cables will let even more of the DAVE through.

The best way for you to understand what the Shunyata does is after some days with it, listen to the DAVE without the Alpha.  Then you can feel if the extra $1,000 is worth it.

paul

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,337 of 25,909
Ampus, I believe we are saying the same thing, but from different perspectives. As I mentioned, I believe the perceived differences are going to be more valuable to some than to others. Your assessment of a 20% difference between Mojo and DAVE is a lot higher than I would have thought you would have said.

Given this hobby's level of diminishing returns 20% is actually a large difference and one that I would agree with, if not a little exaggerated IMHO. In my industry (film & tv Vfx) the saying goes 'you can get to 90% of the way to completion with 10% effort, but that last 10% takes 90% of the time'. It's that last little bit that's impressive for me from the DAVE, and the aspect of audio reproduction that I value most.

Take the Olympics 100m for example. The differentiator between placing on the podium and 4th place is often tenths of a second. It's that last little bit of performance that seems that much more impressive.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #4,338 of 25,909
Thank you for your comments! No, I am not disputing that DAVE is superior to Mojo. I am just stating that the differences were not pronounced as I expected.

I did hear the finesses that you described in your post; however, the differences between Mojo and DAVE are subtle. You even mentioned that yourself "subtle cues". As everyone knows, the higher up you are on the HiFi eschelon, the differences among the high end gears, especially within the same company, become more subtle at best.

I am not surprised that you were able to hear a notable difference among Mojo and other non-Chord products. I had no issue discerning the differences among Mojo and my other non-Chord DAC's. The "problem" with Mojo and DAVE is that they share the Chord's "house sound" making differentiation of the SQ between them more difficult.

Rob Watts recommended doing 10 - 20
seconds of music passages when doing an A/B comparison. I tried both the 10 - 20 seconds and longer passages when I did my comparison.

I also thinking that purchasing an expensive product has a psychological effect on the purchaser. No one wants his or her uber expensive product to be just marginally better than the inexpensive ones. Would this play a role in how some posters were readily able to hear differences whereas other posters were not?

My background is not that different from Romaz's, although I would admit that I do not have the golden ears and the eloquence that he does. I was an engineer before becoming a Vascular surgeon. Needless to say, I am very precise and detail attentive.

Do I prefer DAVE over Mojo? You bet that I do and more than likely will keep DAVE. However, I still think that Mojo gives you a lot for your money. If I have to venture at assigning a number to the two products, I would say that Mojo gives you at least 80% of DAVE's performance.

These are just my opinions. Don't tase me bros!

You make some  very interesting points. But like many others here you don´t mention what kind of music you used in your comparisons?Having auditioned DAVE only via headphones and only  for a few hours my  limited experience with DAVE  nevertheless makes me suspect that you are  probably not far off with your 80% estimate regarding Mojo versus DAVE.
I had both my own Hugo and a Mojo and DAVE side by side  for a few hours with Sennheiser HD 800 and HEK headphones. And while I did hear even more refinement and low level details like acoustic cues and even more realistic instrumental timbres via DAVE than both Mojo and Hugo, the differences were not day and night on material where I know how things sounded live in the hall.
And with some very spotmic´d recordings the slightly warmer less resolved SQ from  Mojo made listening  more  "bearable" than the  Extreme Veritas of DAVE.
Increased resolution can be a bit of  two-edged sword sometimes.
With SOTA recordings of large scale classical music it is a clear benefit and makes listening even  more enjoyable.
But unfortunately not all recordings are well made .
Judging from the posts here it seems a lot of people here listen to  electronica and  for those I would say that the differences between Mojo,Hugo and Dave would be more a case of bragging rights than any actual audible SQ  increase, since the low level detail, acoustic information from the venue, the   dynamic range and instrumental timbres and decay into silence of a final chord or  soundstage depth  or similar really low level information, is simply missing from those genres in general.
If on the other hand you listen to acoustic music well recorded in a real venue, DAVE imho is better than any other consumer product I have yet auditioned.
But is it 20 times better than little Mojo or  roughly 8 times better than Hugo, which the  current pricing  indicates ?
Imho humble opinion,no.
Most certainly no.
I am patiently waiting until  there will be DAVE units at prices  more  relevant to the actual SQ differences I  heard.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #4,339 of 25,909
Perhaps the differences of opinion as to how much better the Dave is to the Mojo are primarily differences as to how people choose to express themselves. Some are more prone to hyperbole, others more restrained. There's no independent scale to which reference can be made.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4,341 of 25,909
Well, I finally purchased my DAVE today. I should have it in about 8 to 10 days. You guys would probably want to kill me if you found out how much I got this new unit for. :)

I can't see this as anything other than an end-game DAC.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #4,342 of 25,909
Well, I finally purchased my DAVE today. I should have it in about 8 to 10 days. You guys would probably want to kill me if you found out how much I got this new unit for.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't see this as anything other than an end-game DAC.

You mind will even be more blown coming from an iDSD from your sound sig.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #4,344 of 25,909
You mind will even be more blown coming from an iDSD from your sound sig.

Yeah. The iFi stuff really packs a lot of bang your buck, though. On the other hand, what really made my HP setup was my headphone amp and the spaciousness it provides. With the DAVE I really don't need the SPL Auditor. I did, however, try the DAVE running balanced into the Auditor and it didn't make much of a difference, if any. Might as well keep it simple and just plug right into the DAVE.

People have said the crossfeed with the DAVE is subtle, but that wasn't my experience. I thought the 1 and 2 settings were captivating, nearly making it sound like 3 different DACs. It ended up being a big selling point for me, because now there is a flexibility I never had before.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #4,345 of 25,909
Yeah. The iFi stuff really packs a lot of bang your buck, though. On the other hand, what really made my HP setup was my headphone amp and the spaciousness it provides. With the DAVE I really don't need the SPL Auditor. I did, however, try the DAVE running balanced into the Auditor and it didn't make much of a difference, if any. Might as well keep it simple and just plug right into the DAVE.

People have said the crossfeed with the DAVE is subtle, but that wasn't my experience. I thought the 1 and 2 settings were captivating, nearly making it sound like 3 different DACs. It ended up being a big selling point for me, because now there is a flexibility I never had before.

I could never get along with the iFi gear, at all. Congrats on the DAVE!! :)

I would agree about the crossfeed, and I feel it's very well implemented. Just be sure to turn it off for binaural recordings.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #4,348 of 25,909
Rob, I was told that Dave is using LME49990 and OP07C as the op amps. I'm really curious how those op amps are selected among all the op amps. Would appreciate your thoughts :)

Where did you get this information? I'm pretty sure Chord doesn't outsource off the shelf hardware for its gear.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3120#post_12602887

Plus, if Chord were using those chips in the DAVE then I'm not sure the DAVE would achieve its incredible specifications.

Edit: Of course it would be best for Rob to clarify.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #4,349 of 25,909
No, I am not disputing that DAVE is superior to Mojo. I am just stating that the differences were not pronounced as I expected.

It appears expectation bias is certainly at play here.  There is another group of very respectable audiophiles who are presently doing a DAC shootout between a Hugo, DAVE and TotalDac d1-dual which are being used to feed both a BHSE/SR009 and what appears to be a very high-end speaker setup consisting of late model B&W speakers, Mark Levinson monoblocks, etc.  A Macbook Pro running Roon was used to feed each DAC.  During their blind testing with the BHSE/SR009, they have indicated that no one in their group of 4 individuals were able to discern any difference at all among these 3 DACs and so in this portion of the shootout, it would appear the Hugo was the winner given its low price.  As they moved to the speaker setup, the DAVE and TotalDac were able to distinguish themselves more readily with the DAVE sounding more "precise" and the TotalDac sounding "warmer and sometimes more enjoyable."

Should we be surprised by this finding?  During Tyll Hertsen's Big Sound 2015, a group of experienced audiophiles including Bob Katz, a professional sound mixer and Tyll himself were unable to distinguish during a blind test whether they were listening to a $2,300 Schiit Yggdrasil or a $13k Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC with Rubidium Atomic Clock.  To be clear, during the blind testing of these two DACs, a 10-second portion of a Brazilian vocalist singing in Portuguese was looped and that's all each person had to listen to but, nonetheless, this led many to conclude that the DAC doesn't matter much.  Should we be concluding the same thing?

Last year, as an owner of a very fine Bricasti M1 DAC, the opportunity to audition a TotalDac d1-dual came up and I was just stunned by how much more I preferred the TotalDac to my Bricasti.  It was smoother, blacker and more resolute and it took 30 seconds for me to hear it.  Of course, the Bricasti has a very characteristic sound and I suspect many of us here can blind test this DAC against another DAC but regardless, since I couldn't unhear what I had heard, I committed to buying a TotalDac.  Now here is where things get interesting.  TotalDac has several models in their product line.  At that time, their entry level DAC was the d1-single (about $7,200), their most popular DAC was the mid-level d1-dual ($10,300) and then there was the d1-monobloc with reclocker (about $25k).  There was an even higher level d1-twelve which sold for as much as $35k but because it couldn't drive headphones directly like the others, I never considered this DAC.  I was torn as to which DAC to buy since I didn't want to have to upgrade again.  Vincent Brient, the creator of these DACs offered to sell me the d1-monobloc but provided me the instructions so that I could downgrade the d1-monobloc to a d1-dual and even a d1-single and then he gave me 3 weeks to decide which one I wanted to keep.  This gave me the opportunity to easily A/B/C three different DACs that varied in price by nearly $20k.  Of course, like many, I expected great differences among these DACs given their price differences although from a design standpoint, what distinguished these DACs was the number of resistors used (100 vs 200 vs 400).

To my surprise, upon initial listening, there wasn't much difference at all.  This actually made me happy because I felt I could just go with the d1-single and save a considerable sum.  As I buckled down and began doing some serious critical objective listening over the span of 3 weeks, the differences became quite clear.  The tonality of each was nearly identical but from the d1-single to the d1-dual to the d1-monobloc, the sound became more relaxed and effortless and it became quite evident that the d1-monobloc exhibited the most air and the greatest depth of the 3 DACs.  The music had come to life more and it was like going from 2D to 3D.  While these differences were not readily evident on many studio tracks, with my acoustical tracks, it was quite evident.  While the differences were never night and day, the cumulative differences were meaningful and worthwhile enough to me that I went ahead and bought the d1- monobloc.  I had found my end-game DAC and since no other high-end DAC including the more expensive d1-twelve or any of the MSB DACs could drive headphones directly, I considered the d1-monobloc the finest headphone DAC in the world, bar none.  By this time, I had heard both the Hugo and TT and I still preferred my TotalDac.

In November of 2015, Rob Watts and the DAVE came to town.  As the dealer is a friend, he invited me to come by.  I was unavailable for Rob's presentation but I decided to give the DAVE a listen although I was convinced that there was no way this tiny thing could compete with my 3-box TotalDac that cost twice as much.  By this time, I was so tuned-in to what to listen for in a DAC that within literally 5 minutes, I knew that I had stumbled across something very special.  While it was a pre-production model that was shipped in advance of Rob's presentation for him to use, I convinced the dealer to allow me to take the DAVE home for 2 days so that I could directly compare it against my TotalDac.  For 2 days, I got almost no sleep because I wanted to maximize my time with the DAVE against my TotalDac and while both DACs were very close in most areas, in every important area, I found the DAVE to be superior.

My point with this story is I believe there is a proper methodology to assessing a DAC that should be very intentional.  Some have shared with me that they look for the DAC that moves them emotionally and while this is what we all want our systems to do, when evaluating the performance of a DAC, it should be more objective than subjective.  We also have to remember what a DAC is supposed to do and not unfairly burden it with responsibilities that belong to another component.  It is supposed to extract information from a digital file and faithfully convert it to an analog waveform.  The best DACs retrieve not only the subtlest details but should be capable of presenting these details in the proper timing.  The best DACs should be invisible meaning they should have no sound of their own.  This is why comparing a DAC can be so difficult.  Unlike comparing headphones, speakers or even amplifiers, how are you supposed to assess something that shouldn't have a sound of its own?  And so I agree with @Christer, when comparing DACs, more than with any other component, the recording absolutely matters.  From the built-in DAC in your iPhone to a $110,000 dCS Vivaldi stack, depending on the recording or even the part of the recording you are listening to, sometimes there will be zero difference and other times, the differences will be more significant.  You also have to be able to have a point of reference, otherwise, how do you know how a recording should sound?

Here are some of the things I intentionally listen for when I evaluate a DAC and I suspect many of you listen for these things also:

1.  Tone and timbre
2.  Air
3. Depth
4. Focus and clarity
5. Delineation of complex details and ability to present fine detail
6. Layering of details
7. Macro and microdynamics
8. Coherence and flow
9. Musicality

For each area, I use a specific portion of a track (10-20 seconds) that I know well.  It's important to have a reference and so I will typically use a combination of recordings that I know very well including my own recordings where I was present at the event.  As a benefactor of our local symphony hall, I have the privilege of recording a number of performances for my personal use (with permission, of course).  These are 2-mic recordings of unamplified performances and just so you know the quality of the talent that comes by, they include the likes of Joshua Bell, Alessio Bax, Sam Haywood and the Vienna Boys Choir, just to name a few.  I also host concerts in my home and I record all of these sessions.  The point is that I know exactly how these tracks should sound.  When I assess for depth, I use a recording of a concert performed at my home last year.  It is an Ecuadorian Jazz trio comprised of a guitar, stand-up bass and percussion.  When I listen to this track, the DAC should convince me that the guitar, bass and percussion are located exactly as I experienced it that night.  

When assessing timbre, because I play the piano and I know the timbre of the piano better than any other instrument, I use simple piano tracks.  I have yet to hear a completely accurate reproduction from any DAC of the piano.  For example, when I press a key on my Steinway and I close my eyes, I have yet to hear a music system regardless of price that can reproduce this exact same sound but some DACs do it better than others and the DAVE has done it better than any DAC I have heard.  Once again, I am not looking for "pleasing," I am looking for "real" and "accurate."

When I assess for air, I listen to both small and large ensemble.  Instruments and voices should sound dimensional and not flat.  When I listen for delineation of complex details, I want to be able to discern the presence of all the various instruments playing in a large orchestra and that a violin, viola, and cello are each playing at the same time.  Even tougher, I have a track of two friends who are concert violinists.  They both play different brands of violins and each has a slightly different timbre.  I want the DAC to be able to tell me that there are two violins of different timbres playing and the DAVE provides this delineation.  

What I do isn't the only way to assess a DAC but it has been effective for me and it has allowed me to more easily discern even subtle differences that when added up, can be very meaningful.  For some criteria, with the right track, you can tell within a few seconds how good a DAC is.  For other things, like coherence and flow, it can take a long time to figure out that one DAC is better than another.  Because speakers are better at imaging and depth, this would be the best way to test these areas.  Because headphones are often better at presenting subtle detail, I believe both should be used when possible.  One also has to remember that each of these criteria are influenced by every other component in your audio chain and so what you're really trying to do when evaluating a DAC is gauging how well that DAC will fit in your system.  This is why listening to equipment at shows is not a great way to evaluate anything.

For one of the best primers on listening that I have come across, I will direct you to Rob's post.  It doesn't get better than this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/800264/watts-up#post_12457933

Users who are viewing this thread

Back