CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 24, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #4,306 of 25,973
very true. any dac specially likes of Dave will shine on speaker system. one of the member uses Dave with benchmark ahb2 power amp into kef reference . would like to listen his views .

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #4,313 of 25,973
Mmm....using an Audioquest NRG 10 on my Dave. Had it already so I might as well use it. Stock cable is in the box.

I'm also using a loan NRG-10 with my Dave. It's darker than stock and bass is a little more present but I feel I may have lost some important dynamics and some natural decay. I'm still undecided whether to keep it. How would you compare the AudioQuest with stock cable? I also tried the Shunyata Alpha Analogue (they didn't have the Alpha digital) and took that straight back.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #4,315 of 25,973
I'm also using a loan NRG-10 with my Dave. It's darker than stock and bass is a little more present but I feel I may have lost some important dynamics and some natural decay. I'm still undecided whether to keep it. How would you compare the AudioQuest with stock cable? I also tried the Shunyata Alpha Analogue (they didn't have the Alpha digital) and took that straight back.

I use the nordost Tyr 2, it's a great power cable, it seems to give an even more black background without effecting the dave's sound signature and quality.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #4,316 of 25,973
What didn't you enjoy about the DAVE from the day before?

On the first day I listened to a lot of Ether Flow and Elear/Utopia through a variety of amps. Elear, on it's own, is very lush as far as I can tell. I think Ether Flow is fairly lush (maybe more so than Elear?). As far as I can tell the Cavalli amps are lush too. And the Dragon Inspire amp on the Moon Audio stand also seemed lush playing Utopia (even HD 800 S sounded lush). The Utopia on the Focal stand didn't sound lush (both it and Elear were playing from individual Naim DAC-V1s) but Elear did. I preferred Utopia on the Moon Audio stand.

So the relative dryness of DAVE playing into Audeze LCD-4 was really obvious when I listened to it. The combination sounded kinda odd to me. I don't know how much of that oddness was simply the contrast from the lushapalooza I'd spent most of the day doing. I don't know how lush LCD-4 is, either.

Next day I was carrying my HD 800 S and tried that on DAVE. Overall character was much like I get at home. It felt familiar. Headphone character being dominant I guess. I remember something I listened to gave me a strong emotional connection, but I can't remember what the hell it was (mostly distracted by how noisy it was). Overall I felt more connected and hearing more into recordings, though, than the day before.

I hardly listened to anything that day. I listened to HD 800 S through the Pass amplifier(?) off Hugo on the Moon Audio stand and that didn't sound lush. The Ether Flow at the Mr Speakers stand sounded frankly overblown in the bass yet drier in the mid and treble. Less enjoyable than the previous day.

My hearing definitely changed a lot over the weekend. It's always changing and Saturday my hearing was relatively brittle (it was brittle the night before)- so I think the lush sound of most things I listened to was welcome. On Sunday some of the brittleness in my hearing had disappeared. By the time I'd got home the brittleness had gone. So I think my changing hearing is a factor in my feelings about DAVE.

Honestly, for me, the show was only good for giving me the most superficial feeling of the overall character of different pieces of equipment. I wasn't there trying to decide on things to investigate or buy. I was there just for curiosity's sake. But I admit the noise was far worse than I expected. I won't go again, it's simpler to do a proper dem. I don't think much curiosity can be satisfied in that environment.

I certainly don't think I formed any useful opinions beyond the fact that everything I listened to was enjoyable (with the exception of a cheap IEM which was merely OK). This is actually quite impressive to me. It did make me wonder whether overall standards are so high that it's actually hard to end up with something dissatisfying. This is in stark contrast to traditional hi-fi shows that I've been to many of (from 1984 to 2002), where it was exceptional to find anything worth staying to listen to. Room/speaker mismatches an ever present spoiler...

So, anyway, my opinion on DAVE isn't worth anything.

Eventually curiosity will get the better of me and I'll go listen to Utopia and Ether Flow off DAVE and see if I like anything enough to upgrade. I'll listen to those headphones, because I got the impression they could do things I would enjoy. And DAVE, because it's supposed to be more of what I love about my TT.

(Currently listening to Joy Division: These Days - full and dare I say it, a bit lush.)

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,318 of 25,973
Yo, I wonder if Rob Watts used a 4k power cord when testing the DAVE.

I'm not trying to snide here, but damn!

Purchased all the nordost matching cables from speakers to connectors to power outlets, so I didn't pay near the msrp as a full package but still was not inexpensive. Though after hearing the speaker cables on my nautilus speakers I was hooked for everything, also make great headphone cables and they start at $400-500 range. For me these power cables worked better than a power conditioner.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #4,319 of 25,973
I am using Cullen Crossover Series Power Cable which I have had for awhile. I haven't A/B compared it to the stock cable.

Back to my Mojo vs DAVE comparison, my brain break-in (or brain washing from reading these posts :joy:) is settling in. DAVE is better than Mojo and shines on well recorded music; however, Mojo is still a damn good unit and hard to beat at the asking price.

Hifi is one of the hobbies where the law of disminishing return clearly applies. We pay dearly just to squeeze the last few drops from music. I used to have B&W 802D's before my Focal Stella's. Are the Stella's better than the 802D's? You bet! Are they 6 times (based on price) better than 802D's? Not a chance! Is DAVE better than Mojo? Of course! Is DAVE 20 times better than Mojo? I will let you guys be the judge on that.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #4,320 of 25,973
This is a very interesting post about to diffrent systems in the Ultra High End category.

I feel that DAVE are very similar to the transparent sonic tone of MSB Select II than to the warm HE-1 Orpheus, and this fellow thinks the same, so what is natural in fact? :wink:

Somewhere in btw as usual :wink:

: post:

Two systems that sound very different. Where the Sennheiser uses a tube amp, the MSB is designed without opamps or tubes to avoid digital coloration of the signal. The result is arguably the highest level of transparency and accuracy in a headphone system. The stage is wide, and incredibly deep. According to the deep stage, the layering and imaging are both incredibly precise, and the combination with the clean and airy stage results in very spacious sound with excellent separation. Depending on your reference point, its signature is neutral to slightly v-shaped. The key issue in describing its tonality comes down to how you define 'naturalness' - how a natural and realistic sound should sound; something I discussed in length and couldn't completely come to agreement with with my close friend @MikePortnoy who I finally got to meet in real life. The midrange of the Stax/MSB system is not inherently warm - at all, nor does it get warmth from the mid-bass like you'll see in many popular tunings. This contributes to the clean air between the layers/instruments as well as the high level of transparency, but does not really convey emotion. I feel that a vocal should have a sense of warmth, especially a male vocal for example being produced from deep within the throat and chest. Besides emotion, a certain level of warmth can add a bit of power and body to notes. So the result is a highly accurate portrayal of string and brass instruments, though it can sound a bit clinical for genres like pop or rock. But like I said, a part of this depends on how you define 'naturalness'; leaning towards tonal accuracy, the way instruments should sound, as well as the treble speed and the way it dissolves, the MSB/Stax is incredibly natural based on its realism. When it comes to a certain emotional naturalness, the way a vocal can reach and touch you and the weight of guitars, it is different from my personal definition of naturalness. However I strongly suspect that the target audience of a $150.000 system is wealthy 50+ people that mainly listen to classical, and the soundstage and transparency of the MSB/Stax system is of course mind blowing in this regard.

The HE-1 on the other hand has a very different presentation. The soundstage is noticeably smaller, dare I say even intimate in comparison (gasp!). Especially in its depth. I wouldn't call the presentation upfront by any means, but the music is not as distant or layered as I might have expected (but keep in mind I heard the MSB/Stax first). Its tonality however is more pleasing to my ears, and I think easier to listen to. While the mid-bass is highly controlled and defined, the tubes give the midrange that inherent warmth that I would classify as natural. Its treble is very articulate but never prominent, where the MSB/Stax could border on harsh with an ill-picked recording, as it is extremely dependent on the quality and type of recording due to its transparent nature.

Something else that I really liked was the prototype Cavalli driving the open Ether flow. For starters, Warren and Dan were both two easy going and simply awesome guys that I very much enjoyed talking to, but I really, really enjoyed listening to the combo. There was a certain smoothness and dynamic flow in the presentation, with a signature that was exactly to my liking. The midrange was clearly defined, with the right combination between sparkle and smoothness. Guitars just rocked, vocals sound beautiful, I could definitely settle for that in a distant future if I ever make the switch to headphones. I felt I could just listen to music without overthinking it, very nice.

Shoutout to Emil and Piotr from Lime Ears and Custom Art for being two very cool dudes that I immensely enjoyed hanging and laughing with. I have their ciems so I knew they make great stuff, but it was nice to meet them in person.

Finally, big compliment to the Head-Fi team for organising the event. It's impressive to see that the iem/headphone world has reached a level of significance where meetings can be organised in such a beautiful venue. I've been to academic conventions that weren't half as classy.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817115/canjam-london-2016-impressions-thread-august-13-14-2016/100_50#post_12790110

Users who are viewing this thread

Back