CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 12, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #4,141 of 25,901
Hi Rob,
What paint/coat are you using to make Dave's aluminium body black? My concern is that even in the high end watches PVD will eventually peel off.
Thank you.

In common with all of Chord's products it is hard anodised. Which means the surface aluminium is oxidised with a die added which makes it as hard as ceramic. So no paint to chip off; but if you cut into the anodising, bare aluminium will be exposed. Take care with it and it will look perfect for life.

Rob

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #4,142 of 25,901
I'm hoping to listen to DAVE at CanJam this weekend. After I've listened to DAVE, I will listen to Focal Utopia and Sennheiser HE 1. I'm hoping that the latter two might distract me from DAVE, so that I don't go out and buy one straight away.

Alternatively, I could just ignore DAVE.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #4,143 of 25,901
Hi Rob,

What paint/coat are you using to make Dave's aluminium body black? My concern is that even in the high end watches PVD will eventually peel off.

Thank you.

In common with all of Chord's products it is hard anodised. Which means the surface aluminium is oxidised with a die added which makes it as hard as ceramic. So no paint to chip off; but if you cut into the anodising, bare aluminium will be exposed. Take care with it and it will look perfect for life.

Rob

@Rob...and idea if it is Mil-spec II or Mil-spec III anodizing?

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,144 of 25,901
What an extremely peculiar question. PVD is bonded to the host surface at a molecular level and highly unlikely to ever peel off, so goodness only knows what usage scenario Musicday has for a black DAVE. Perhaps he works at CERN and is worried about stray quarks and other nano-molecular particles disrupting the pristine finish of his DAVE?!?

Hi Rob,
Thank you.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #4,145 of 25,901
If you don't manage to audition DAVE at London CanJam this weekend, I'll have my unit at the 2017 UK Head-Fi Meet this April in Milton Keynes. It's a FREE event and all Head-Fiers (and guests) are welcome. Just click on the link at the bottom of this paragraph for more information. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816392/2017-uk-head-fi-meet-april-2nd-milton-keynes

I'm hoping to listen to DAVE at CanJam this weekend. After I've listened to DAVE, I will listen to Focal Utopia and Sennheiser HE 1. I'm hoping that the latter two might distract me from DAVE, so that I don't go out and buy one straight away.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #4,146 of 25,901
What an extremely peculiar question. PVD is bonded to the host surface at a molecular level and highly unlikely to ever peel off, so goodness only knows what usage scenario Musicday has for a black DAVE. Perhaps he works at CERN and is worried about stray quarks and other nano-molecular particles disrupting the pristine finish of his DAVE?!?

All PVD will scratch in time and show signs of wear.The only thing that doesn't scratch is the Rolex patented Cerachrom.
https://watch-wiki.org/index.php?title=Cerachrom_bezel
Also Rolex only brand that uses 904L steel, which is slightly harder.
I have a German watch that is made of U-boat 212 submarine steel that is much harder than the 904L steel and on top of that is tegimented.
Whoever i know that even Dave will keep the colour intact after years if not bumped, strached etc.
Now we can go back on topic.
Anyone using Dave to watch movies,headphones or speakers?:grinning:

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #4,147 of 25,901
musicday said:
Anyone using Dave to watch movies,headphones or speakers?:grinning:

Sure. Just watched the new Rogue One movie trailer via YouTube/Oppo Blu-ray Player coax S/PDIF into my Chord DAVE.
I think Rob Watts like watching movies with Chord DAVE.

My stereo/TV setup is in the living room so no surround sound for me which makes Chord DAVE perfect. (I cover up the TV for serious music listening.) Sounds great for movies too.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #4,149 of 25,901
I'm hoping to listen to DAVE at CanJam this weekend. After I've listened to DAVE, I will listen to Focal Utopia and Sennheiser HE 1. I'm hoping that the latter two might distract me from DAVE, so that I don't go out and buy one straight

Or... You could felt In love wIth the combo DAVE+Utopia which Is supposed to offer very good synergy. Then you are really In trouble .... :wink:

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #4,150 of 25,901
Or... You could felt In love wIth the combo DAVE+Utopia which Is supposed to offer very good synergy. Then you are really In trouble .... :wink:

My kidneys just twitched...guessed they are a bit worried having to make way for my DAVE & Utopia 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4,151 of 25,901

I was at CanJam earlier today. I listened to both the Utopia and the Elear, and both were great. The Focal rep said they should be available in the UK towards the end of September and I am looking forward to getting a loan on both to try at home with my Dave. Unfortunately, there wasn't an opportunity to hear them with the Dave at CanJam. Cheers

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #4,152 of 25,901
Rob, can I ask you a question about mains input to the Dave. I currently have on loan a mains regenerator that is currently putting out a steady 240 volts into my Dave but that can be adjusted up or down in one volt increments. I have recently read an article on UK mains that says that audio equipment will run best at about 230 volts. Would that hold true for the Dave or is it best to just leave things at 240 volts. I can't say I have noticed any obvious audio difference in taking it down to 235 volts compared to the regulated 240 volts, but generally I do find the sound quality better, cleaner with the regenerator than without it. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #4,153 of 25,901
Rob, can I ask you a question about mains input to the Dave. I currently have on loan a mains regenerator that is currently putting out a steady 240 volts into my Dave but that can be adjusted up or down in one volt increments. I have recently read an article on UK mains that says that audio equipment will run best at about 230 volts. Would that hold true for the Dave or is it best to just leave things at 240 volts. I can't say I have noticed any obvious audio difference in taking it down to 235 volts compared to the regulated 240 volts, but generally I do find the sound quality better, cleaner with the regenerator than without it. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Out of interest, which regenerator are you using? 

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,155 of 25,901
I was at CanJam earlier today. I listened to both the Utopia and the Elear, and both were great. The Focal rep said they should be available in the UK towards the end of September and I am looking forward to getting a loan on both to try at home with my Dave. Unfortunately, there wasn't an opportunity to hear them with the Dave at CanJam. Cheers

Thanks for confirming Sep availability. My dealer told me the same thing. The SQ and look of the Utopia with black DAVE will be gorgeous. Looking forward to the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back