CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 14, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #4,156 of 25,909
Rob, can I ask you a question about mains input to the Dave. I currently have on loan a mains regenerator that is currently putting out a steady 240 volts into my Dave but that can be adjusted up or down in one volt increments. I have recently read an article on UK mains that says that audio equipment will run best at about 230 volts. Would that hold true for the Dave or is it best to just leave things at 240 volts. I can't say I have noticed any obvious audio difference in taking it down to 235 volts compared to the regulated 240 volts, but generally I do find the sound quality better, cleaner with the regenerator than without it. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I agree. For me, it was obvious the sound on the Dave improved with a power re-generator. There was better clarity and focus.

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #4,157 of 25,909
  Have my Hugo and Mojo, tried to resist DAVE (due mainly to the premium), then I auditioned it. Now I am on the first of my 6 months self imposed fasting to get it.

To my ears, it is that good for me to even placing my order 
tongue_smile.gif

Same here

Have Hugo and Mojo, then auditioned Dave against Hugo TT

Dave is very audibly and musically superior to Mojo, Hugo and Hugo TT, 

Do not audition a Dave until you have the money for it. You have been warned !

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #4,158 of 25,909
  My take is that if you can afford Chord DAVE, once you've heard it, you'll buy it. So the need for audition is psychological.
One approach would be to negotiate with the local dealer. If you're willing to pay them MSRP or slightly discounted MSRP, try negotiating with them to put the dealer/distributor price as a deposit (which is probably 30-40% off MSRP). If you like it when you audition the product, you can pay them the rest for the full MSRP and Chord DAVE is yours. If you don't like it, the dealer can try to sell it to someone else at whatever price they want and once it's sold, you can get your money back. I suspect your local dealer would not mind this kind of a deal since there's virtually no downside to them. And worst case scenario, you'll get your money back in a few months once they've sold the unit they brought in for you. Of course, you could also just book a flight somewhere else and audition the DAVE and take a nice vacation...

No need for all this hassle, just buy it.

Dave is much much superior to Hugo, Hugo TT and Mojo....

For me once I heard Dave against Hugo TT, there was no going back.... 

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #4,159 of 25,909
Rob, can I ask you a question about mains input to the Dave. I currently have on loan a mains regenerator that is currently putting out a steady 240 volts into my Dave but that can be adjusted up or down in one volt increments. I have recently read an article on UK mains that says that audio equipment will run best at about 230 volts. Would that hold true for the Dave or is it best to just leave things at 240 volts. I can't say I have noticed any obvious audio difference in taking it down to 235 volts compared to the regulated 240 volts, but generally I do find the sound quality better, cleaner with the regenerator than without it. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

One of the benefits of SMPS is that it will work exactly the same with all mains voltages and frequencies - so when I go to Japan (100v) USA (110-120) UK (240) Europe (220-230) Dave on headphones sounds the same.

The actual PSU used will work from 90 to 263 V and 47 to 440 Hz. So don't worry about the actual voltage.

Rob

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #4,161 of 25,909
  http://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-fi/chord-electronics---john-franks-interview-395781

LOL - thankyou for posting that, and much of it is still relevant, but you do realise the interview is from 2014? Hugo hadn't even been released, at that point, and poor DAVE was barely a twinkle in Rob's eye!
biggrin.gif

This video, from 2015, covers some of the same ground, and more:

beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,162 of 25,909
One of the benefits of SMPS is that it will work exactly the same with all mains voltages and frequencies - so when I go to Japan (100v) USA (110-120) UK (240) Europe (220-230) Dave on headphones sounds the same.

The actual PSU used will work from 90 to 263 V and 47 to 440 Hz. So don't worry about the actual voltage.

Rob

Thanks, Rob.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #4,165 of 25,909
Mmm.....am excited. Receiving my Dave in a couple of days. Gave my TT its eviction notice. Bittersweet moment.

Where can I submit my adoption paper?  
wink_face.gif

Congrats...can't wait for my turn to come soon

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #4,169 of 25,909
This just in:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

Not sure by how much it would improve the Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back