CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 17, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #4,186 of 25,832
I think a fine speaker system like the Focal Utopias would do the Dave justice. Sure it sounds great with headphones too, but imo only in a speaker system can reveal Dave's full potential. Which amps are you using? 

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #4,187 of 25,832
I think a fine speaker system like the Focal Utopias would do the Dave justice. Sure it sounds great with headphones too, but imo only in a speaker system can reveal Dave's full potential. Which amps are you using? 

Who, me? I'm in the camp that wants the most transparency to the source so I prefer no amp and would rather hear the DAVE DAC with as little distortion as possible. If you read Rob's posts on his analogue output design you'll understand where I'm coming from. That said, I also have the Cavalli Liquid Gold on order from the final production run. I really don't think I'll use the LAu much, but I couldn't pass up the chance to get one.

As for speakers, I really have no optimal listening room in my home to run speakers at their best so I'd rather not invest too much in them. I find headphones exceedingly enjoyable and although I do occasionally enjoy my modest tower speakers with my Yamaha receiver in Pure mode for music, I rarely listen to them for music only, they're mostly for movie watching with my projector in a surround setup.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #4,188 of 25,832
Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about one of Focal's Utopia speakers which have made their name for quite some time in the Hifi world. But anyways congrats for your Focal Utopia headphone, I guess...

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #4,189 of 25,832
Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about one of Focal's Utopia speakers which have made their name for quite some time in the Hifi world. But anyways congrats for your Focal Utopia headphone, I guess...

It can get confusing, can't it? Lol! I'm sure with the proper setup the DAVE would sound fantastic feeding the Grand Utopia speakers through a good amp.

:beerchug:

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #4,190 of 25,832
Quest:

Have anyone listened to the new upgraded AMR DP-777 SE ( Special Edition) on how different it sounds vs DAVE ?

From my memory the old DP-777 is more laid back and velvety wooly with great depth and detailed resolution with deep bass and great body = should be very musical as a compliment to DAVE was my thinking.
So if someone have got the opportunity to compare these two with headphones i would appreciate very much.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #4,191 of 25,832

Thanks Rob.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed to find that it is necessary to disconnect my laptop in order to get the best SQ from my DAVE. You said in an earlier post http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/1215#post_12220009 that "RF noise from the source can't get into DAVE". Now it turns out that it can. It is fiddly and irritating to have to disconnect my laptop, (the power cable is at the back) and easy to forget to reconnect it so it is dead the next morning. And although buying a Jitterbug is a partial solution it's not really very satisfactory to have to spend more money on a third-party product, which doesn't even totally sort the issue, not to mention that Audioquest recommend using two of them, so that's £80.  After spending £8k on a DAC I was kinda hoping it would be unimprovable! 

Do you think there are other possibly better solutions? For example, Intona have a full speed USB galvanic isolator, ifiAudio offer some USB cleaning products, or one could use a USB to s/pdif convertor and optical. I haven't got the money to try all possible solutions out, or the technical knowledge to make good judgements, but it would certainly be great to be able to play my hifi without having to fiddle with wires and always get the best possible sound quality.

'Scuse me moaning, but listening to music with a DAVE is such a wonderful, totally involving experience that I want to always get the most from it.

I don't think ANY Dac regardless of cost can avoid dirty noise in the source. IMO if spending a decent amount on a DAC it is key to buy a stripped down server or Mac Mini fully optimised at the very least to get the best of of a PC - DAC system. It was not so long ago we were spending 50% of the budget on a CDP so a Mac Mini optimised at around 1K is cheap IMO. I use the TotalDAC USB cable which makes a big difference taking any digital hash out. And sorting the power supply with a linear 12V DC feed brought up the soundstage and the bass went bigger and deeper.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #4,192 of 25,832
Who, me? I'm in the camp that wants the most transparency to the source so I prefer no amp and would rather hear the DAVE DAC with as little distortion as possible. If you read Rob's posts on his analogue output design you'll understand where I'm coming from. That said, I also have the Cavalli Liquid Gold on order from the final production run. I really don't think I'll use the LAu much, but I couldn't pass up the chance to get one.

As for speakers, I really have no optimal listening room in my home to run speakers at their best so I'd rather not invest too much in them. I find headphones exceedingly enjoyable and although I do occasionally enjoy my modest tower speakers with my Yamaha receiver in Pure mode for music, I rarely listen to them for music only, they're mostly for movie watching with my projector in a surround setup.

the tastes differ. actually theoretically for faithful reproduction of stereo, there should be two point source at appropriate angle. in real life that is not possible so its better to go as close as possible to a point source for proper reproduction of the imaging . too big speakers in small room will not do justice to the theory of point source and too small speakers in a big room will not produce adequate volume/sound pressure. so speakers size/type depends very much on the room size. for my room i find kef r300 to be ok. these kef have concentric driver which further help them to be close to  a point source. i wont say that i have best headphones . i enjoy my beyer dt880 very much but still feel the kind of depth, imaging and realism a good and well set speaker system provides is not possible through headphone( at least to me ) :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #4,193 of 25,832
the tastes differ. actually theoretically for faithful reproduction of stereo, there should be two point source at appropriate angle. in real life that is not possible so its better to go as close as possible to a point source for proper reproduction of the imaging . too big speakers in small room will not do justice to the theory of point source and too small speakers in a big room will not produce adequate volume/sound pressure. so speakers size/type depends very much on the room size. for my room i find kef r300 to be ok. these kef have concentric driver which further help them to be close to  a point source. i wont say that i have best headphones . i enjoy my beyer dt880 very much but still feel the kind of depth, imaging and realism a good and well set speaker system provides is not possible through headphone( at least to me ) :)

The Dave creates incredible realism with my nautilus speakers, naim pre amp, dual biamping per channel naim amps. This set up is amazing, I haven't heard a headphone that comes close as of yet, but who knows as technology changes. Kef unidrivers perform well in smaller spaces, I have ls50's in my home office.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #4,194 of 25,832
As I am listening to my Chord Mojo, I am really enjoying the emotions in the music.... it is all there, the way it is supposed to be, listening to 80's songs, Duran Duran, Paul Young,Tina Turner, Bon Jovi, songs I had heard on analog tape and Vinyl

I remember around 10 years ago, almost despairing that soon the era of analog would be over, and the old tapes would no longer be viable. How would future generations hear the Magic of Michael Jackson music that I heard on Vinyl?

I am very grateful, that thanks to Mojo, Hugo and Dave we can now enjoy those old recordings, and new ones, the way the artists meant us to hear them

So many companies make this promise, but Rob Watts actually delivers on this.

Thank you Rob.

I am quite sure one day soon that the DAC used to play the music before Vinyl Masters are cut will be a Chord Dave in all record companies for those artists that made digital recordings (almost everyone)

Mojo, Hugo and Dave can actually retrieve the musical magic in those old, and new digital files. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #4,197 of 25,832
Naa, try a Plinius SA-103 very tube like but oodles of power and dynamics.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #4,198 of 25,832
Mmm.....for Dave owners, do you use one of those fancy stand? I intend to use my Dave exclusively for headphones. Is it necessary? Also, do I need one of those fancy power conditioner thingamajig? Coming from the Chord TT, I never needed one because of its long battery life. Tia.

Damn.....my TH 900 never sounded so good with the Dave. DA BASS! HOLY S...

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #4,200 of 25,832
I recollect Roy (romaz) using an Oyaide base which had a quartz chippings layer underneath the support plate. From memory it fitted the Chord DAVE perfectly and seemed to be beneficial sonically. Why not P.M. Roy and ask for his advice? :)

Mmm.....for Dave owners, do you use one of those fancy stand? I intend to use my Dave exclusively for headphones. Is it necessary? Also, do I need one of those fancy power conditioner thingamajig? Coming from the Chord TT, I never needed one because of its long battery life. Tia.

Damn.....my TH 900 never sounded so good with the Dave. DA BASS! HOLY S...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back