CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #22,726 of 25,851
These are all good points. Indeed there have been posts in other forums where batteries were used with DC4 regulators to directly power Dave but in the end they were outdone by the transformer powered ARC6 power supply. From what I have read in those posts the motive for designing the ARC6 was to achieve a better power supply for Dave than could be got with the batteries.
I don't think a device like ARC6 can bring about an improvement via battery power.
This is because linear power supplies, especially those with large transformers, generate a lot of EMI / RFI noise caused by magnetic interference.

While the internal SMPS, which has very small transformers, powered by battery, acts only as a current regulator to create the three lines +5 +15 -15 vdC

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #22,727 of 25,851
I don't think a device like ARC6 can bring about an improvement via battery power.
This is because linear power supplies, especially those with large transformers, generate a lot of EMI / RFI noise caused by magnetic interference.

While the internal SMPS, which has very small transformers, powered by battery, acts only as a current regulator to create the three lines +5 +15 -15 vdC
I definitely would be interested in hearing a battery powered Dave version.

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #22,728 of 25,851
I agree - and that voltage stability is directly a function of the output impedance of the battery. I've used batteries on and off over many years and generally been quite pleased with the results. I was just expressing the view (based on my experience and the basic engineering factors) that batteries are not an easy panacea. And you really do need to consider the voltage regulation because batteries which offer the specific voltages Dave needs are not available. And even if they were battery voltage has generally a direct correlation with charge so with start above nominal and sag over time.
This is one of the reasons I use the batteries to drive inverters in my setup. The inverters are effectively voltage regulators. The various high quality lps can now focus purely on dc production with no requirement to reject rf noise in the process.

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #22,729 of 25,851
A cable is generally going to introduce RF noise. Each box added to a system first has to defeat the RF noise its addition causes by way of cabling, before the box has any hope of being uncompromised...

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #22,730 of 25,851
Any new Farad3 owners? How is everyone liking them?

I think you get used to it but found the uplift in performance to be significant to my ears. Noise or not, sounded better to me. Blacker backgrounds, increase in details, reverb tails, etc. Now I wonder how the Mscaler would have sounded this time with a Farad3. Either way, I'm happy with what I got. Curious if we end up getting the Choral Mscaler. Will probably buy used one day and try it out.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #22,733 of 25,851
“What can sometimes happen is that some of the joy of the music is overtaken by the joy of building a system,” Stott said. “But listening to good-quality audio is a bit like owning a Formula One team. It will cost you a million pounds to get around the track in two minutes. It will cost you 10 million pounds to get around the track in a second under two minutes.”

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #22,734 of 25,851
Interesting he’s selling it because of the Taiko Extreme dac. I didn’t even know they made dacs. If it’s a module for their server, that could be real interesting. My Antipodes K50 can’t really handle complex tasks or my extremely large library. I’ve also been interested in getting a better dac than my SJ mDAVE. The Taiko Extreme could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I guess I have some fun reading for tonight :L3000:

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #22,735 of 25,851
unless this person has insider information, they are mistaken. Taiko is releasing a network card, a router and a battery to power the Extreme. I dont think a dac is on the immediate agenda, unless it is a big surprise…

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #22,736 of 25,851
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #22,738 of 25,851
Hi all,
My final project post, installing the optical link in Mscaler and Dave is up in my mscaler thread.
Link in my signature.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #22,739 of 25,851
I have a cable question. Would you recommend I connect my Auralic Aries streamer and DAVE using a Toslink cable or AES/EBU? My understanding is that using the AES the Aries would provide the clock? If I use Toslink this is not the case?
Thanks for any advice.
BtW my Toslink cable cost 10€. The AES cable is a JPS superconductor 3

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #22,740 of 25,851
Toslink sounds better🤪🧐🤣

Edit: I can change the input between optical and AES on the fly, without the music stopping or being interrupted. I doubt that actually anything changes...
can you change inputs without any interruption?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back