CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 23, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #22,696 of 25,832
Has anyone modified the Dave's XLR that are mounted in for Pure Copper version (whatever plating)?
If your amp can do SE too try using a cable from the HP jack in front.. you bypass one internal relay then. See the schematic i posted earlier

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #22,697 of 25,832
The Iconoclast 4x4 is an interesting "budget" cable with the properties I mentioned above. In addition, this cable effectively has 16x more conductor than most other companies' interconnects.

https://www.iconoclastcable.com/blog/?cat=13

https://www.iconoclastcable.com/xlr/index.htm
I use the Iconoclast 4x4 Gen2 OCC XLR between my Dave and power amps. I’m not sure I would call it a budget cable. I used to have Belden 8760 cables which I still think are very good and I would definitely call them budget cables.

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #22,698 of 25,832
I use a tube with mundurf silver angelica wire and very light xlr plugs from elecaudio cx101/102 that sound amazing and also have kimber copies that match the original and really sing.

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #22,700 of 25,832
Sep 24, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #22,702 of 25,832
@Triode User I have a question regarding new Roon 2.0 release.
Has anything changed in terms of SQ? Or it's still better to stay with LMS?
At the suggestion of another Chord owner I am trying Roon again and this time at his suggestion I am just trying Roon for a longer period rather than swopping back and forth to LMS.

The 2.0 version of Roon was launched part way through this process and I can’t say I heard any difference between 1.8 and 2.0.

At the moment I am using Roon with HQP on pass through (no upscaling) as the player to my Mscaler + Dave because that has been suggested as often being the best way to use Roon. I guess the test for me will be when I try LMS again.

So I’m afraid I haven’t answered your question but I am trying to answer it for myself in due course!

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #22,705 of 25,832
And so, after learning that it was possible, here is DAVE powered by a 160 VdC / 3.5 Ah lithium-ion battery, without any inverter.

Operating voltage: 160 (max) – 120 (min) Vdc.

BMS for charging management and protection, designed free from EMI/RFI emissions. Outgoing have been put Neotech solid core UP OCC cables.

Like the other battery I use for the streamer and the MScaler, a double timer disconnects automatically at set times the charging from both the socket side and the battery side plug, completely isolating all audio components from the mains while listening and reconnects at night for charging, resulting also protected from possible thunderstorms or overvoltages.

It was delivered to me a few days ago, so I'll update with further comments regarding the audio result.
Here are my impressions of using battery powered DAVE,as well as for the rest of the system, consisting of the Lumin U1 mini and M Scaler streamers.

The streaming platform used is Qobuz, connected via ethernet cable to Sky Wifi (fiber optic router).

The connection between Lumin and M Scaler is via Toslink cable, while between M Scaler and DAVE is via Silver BNC cables.

I state that the realization of the battery for DAVE was carried out after observing the results obtained with M Scaler and Lumin and understanding that the disturbances
generated by the home network are insidious and very difficult to eliminate. So that was the way to go.

We come to the perceived differences, after a few days of listening and A / B tests, returning to the mains.

I state that these differences are not "macroscopic" but are to be understood as further improvements to a system, in my opinion, already excellent.

The sense of "digital sound", if it can be called that, understood as a sense of artificial on the higher frequencies, which was perceived in some pieces / recordings, has completely disappeared.

This is immediately highlighted by the Abyss which, being very revealing, clearly exposes all hardness. The sound is always very detailed, rich in nuances and micro details, yet soft.

The instruments, although DAVE is already very good at this, highlight further better separation and focus.

One thing I noticed: the on / off HF filter no longer seems to have any influence on the sound. I have always preferred HF off because activated it gave me a sense of "shortness of breath" to the music.

It also seems that there is no limit to increasing the volume, it does not break down in the slightest: with the softer high frequencies the mids come to the fore. Full-bodied and more precise bass
they increase the depth and everything improves together.

Another thing I observed: now the additional difference of the M Scaler is very noticeable. Feel every change in frequency up to 768 KHz where the sound expands in an incredible way.

I consider myself satisfied with the result obtained. It was a leap in the dark, at worst I would have been satisfied with having isolated the system against possible overvoltages or storms.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #22,706 of 25,832
Here are my impressions of using battery powered DAVE,as well as for the rest of the system, consisting of the Lumin U1 mini and M Scaler streamers.

The streaming platform used is Qobuz, connected via ethernet cable to Sky Wifi (fiber optic router).

The connection between Lumin and M Scaler is via Toslink cable, while between M Scaler and DAVE is via Silver BNC cables.

I state that the realization of the battery for DAVE was carried out after observing the results obtained with M Scaler and Lumin and understanding that the disturbances
generated by the home network are insidious and very difficult to eliminate. So that was the way to go.

We come to the perceived differences, after a few days of listening and A / B tests, returning to the mains.

I state that these differences are not "macroscopic" but are to be understood as further improvements to a system, in my opinion, already excellent.

The sense of "digital sound", if it can be called that, understood as a sense of artificial on the higher frequencies, which was perceived in some pieces / recordings, has completely disappeared.

This is immediately highlighted by the Abyss which, being very revealing, clearly exposes all hardness. The sound is always very detailed, rich in nuances and micro details, yet soft.

The instruments, although DAVE is already very good at this, highlight further better separation and focus.

One thing I noticed: the on / off HF filter no longer seems to have any influence on the sound. I have always preferred HF off because activated it gave me a sense of "shortness of breath" to the music.

It also seems that there is no limit to increasing the volume, it does not break down in the slightest: with the softer high frequencies the mids come to the fore. Full-bodied and more precise bass

Another thing I observed: now the additional difference of the M Scaler is very noticeable. Feel every change in frequency up to 768 KHz where the sound expands in an incredible way.

I consider myself satisfied with the result obtained. It was a leap in the dark, at worst I would have been satisfied with having isolated the system against possible overvoltages or storms.
Good job mate 👍🏼

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #22,707 of 25,832

Good to read that my suggestion to run Dave's original SMPS on DC has this result 👌

Im still hesitating to build the same or ditch the SMPS and feed +5, +15 and -15 vdc direct off batteries.

My opinion is still that the 0.5A max on -15v limits the dynamics.. i heard Farad's effect on the low freqs cause of more reserve in supercaps

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #22,709 of 25,832
So what is the theory as to why it's OK to feed DAVE's AC input with a DC supply?
I do generally follow this thread, but somehow must have missed this intriguing suggestion.
The benefit is not having a switching ac converter in the battery pack.
So cleanest power possible.

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #22,710 of 25,832
The benefit is not having a switching ac converter in the battery pack.
So cleanest power possible.
That's not what I meant.
DAVE's smps was designed to receive an AC current.
Instead it receives a DC current, which is something it was not designed to do (as far as I know).
Why is that apparent mismatch OK in practice?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back