CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #22,741 of 25,863
I have a cable question. Would you recommend I connect my Auralic Aries streamer and DAVE using a Toslink cable or AES/EBU? My understanding is that using the AES the Aries would provide the clock? If I use Toslink this is not the case?
Thanks for any advice.
BtW my Toslink cable cost 10€. The AES cable is a JPS superconductor 3
Dave always clocks its buffered data.
No matter the input you choose.

I would stick with toslink unless you need more than 24/192 or DSD > that needs USB

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #22,742 of 25,863
Hi

I am hoping somebody can help me out with a two part issue I am having a Chord Dave and M Scaler issue I am having.

I have been using a Chord Mojo with an Iphone and camera/USB connection. I have just bought a second hand Dave and M Scaler and have tried to connect the iPhone using the same method but am getting no sound just some low static noise. The phone is connected via Camera/USB to the M Scaler then Dual BNC to the Dave and then using my Moon Amp as a power amp with Dave in preamp mode. I have also tried connecting the phone direct into the Dave but same issue.

I suspect the answer is going to be that this method isn't compatible with the Dave for whatever reason and that I will need to buy a streamer as well.

The audio shop I use has recommended an Aurender N150. However when I have looked at the reviews online it seems like it does not support Apple Hi Res Lossless.

I use Apple Music and have an Iphone/Ipad/Imac cloud storage etc. So i would really prefer to stay with Apple Music but from my limited understanding I think my choices are:

1. Buy a laptop or Ipad pro and connect via USB (which people are saying is not suitable for a DAC of this quality) 2. Buy the Aurender or similar and stream via Airplay (which does not support Hi Res) 3. Buy the Aurender and change to Tidal.

I am prepared to spend the money on a streamer but don't want an unworkable/inconvenient solution.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Much appreciated.

Dunraven

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #22,743 of 25,863
I have been using a Chord Mojo with an Iphone and camera/USB connection. I have just bought a second hand Dave and M Scaler and have tried to connect the iPhone using the same method but am getting no sound just some low static noise. The phone is connected via Camera/USB to the M Scaler then Dual BNC to the Dave and then using my Moon Amp as a power amp with Dave in preamp mode. I have also tried connecting the phone direct into the Dave but same issue
The USB of Mojo doesn’t require power so your iPhone can power the Mojo input. The USB input of DAVE and M-Scaler requires power so your iPhone can’t power the input.

Your cheapest solution is to buy a cheap ipad with lightning port to play Apple Lossless Music. It’ll still give you optimal sound like playing off the iPhone. You can buy an ipad with USB-C port but then you’ll need a new cable/adaptor to connect the iPad to the DAVE or M-Scaler.

Not that many streamers support Apple Music. An iPad running off batteries would provide you with better sound anyway.

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #22,744 of 25,863
The USB of Mojo doesn’t require power so your iPhone can power the Mojo input. The USB input of DAVE and M-Scaler requires power so your iPhone can’t power the input.

Your cheapest solution is to buy a cheap ipad with lightning port to play Apple Lossless Music. It’ll still give you optimal sound like playing off the iPhone. You can buy an ipad with USB-C port but then you’ll need a new cable/adaptor to connect the iPad to the DAVE or M-Scaler.

Not that many streamers support Apple Music. An iPad running off batteries would provide you with better sound anyway.
Thanks for that its very helpful. I have an Ipad with lighting connection so can check that.

Much appreciated

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #22,745 of 25,863
@Dunraven
@ecwl Is right.
Hms and Dave need the usb 5v bus active to power the USB driver chip.
Not all phones/pads can deliver enough current. My (very) old apple ipad2 and iphone4 work well. (30pin connector)

You could also try a external powered USB hub in between.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #22,748 of 25,863
Interesting he’s selling it because of the Taiko Extreme dac. I didn’t even know they made dacs. If it’s a module for their server, that could be real interesting. My Antipodes K50 can’t really handle complex tasks or my extremely large library. I’ve also been interested in getting a better dac than my SJ mDAVE. The Taiko Extreme could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I guess I have some fun reading for tonight :L3000:

Recently I have been trying a 'stock' DC4/ARC6 powering the Dave compared to the same power supply but with something special loaned to me by SJ to try and added inside the Dave. I had to borrow a second Dave from a friend so we could compare side by side due to otherwise having a delay whilst the innards were changed. (The 'something special' made me realise that almost everything can be subtly improved, even the DC4/ARC6. Unfortunately I had to agree with SJ not to spill the beans until his embargo expires on Mon 3rd Oct so I will post a piccy then but just lets say that I bought it and will not be sending it back!).
I preface my post with a disclaimer. I am merely a retail customer of Sean‘s but @Ciggavelli to my mind the cheapest way to get a better DAC than your current DC4 Dave might be to do what I now have inside the Dave which is the new just released Dave Cap Board from Sean Jacobs. In my system it has made a significant upgrade to sound quality and more importantly it has increased the shear listening pleasure. The idea for SJ to try a cap board with the Dave was first suggested to him by @marcmccalmont of this parish and what a good idea it has turned out to be.

I first bought the SJ DC3 for the Dave and then his DC4 and finally the ARC6 so as a long term customer SJ asked if I would like to listen to the final options on his short list for the make of capacitors he was going to use. The surprise to me was how much of a sound difference there was between these different manufacturers caps. The AudioNote Kaisei ones he finally selected were the clear winners to my ears and also to Sean's ears. Sean told me that his board was originally intended to mitigate the effect of different lengths of umbilical cable but I only have short (14 inch) umbilicals and yet the the whole character of the sound has got better with the new Dave Cap Board so it might be worth you looking at this route.

IMG_1002a.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #22,749 of 25,863
I preface my post with a disclaimer. I am merely a retail customer of Sean‘s but @Ciggavelli to my mind the cheapest way to get a better DAC than your current DC4 Dave might be to do what I now have inside the Dave which is the new just released Dave Cap Board from Sean Jacobs. In my system it has made a significant upgrade to sound quality and more importantly it has increased the shear listening pleasure. The idea for SJ to try a cap board with the Dave was first suggested to him by @marcmccalmont of this parish and what a good idea it has turned out to be.

I first bought the SJ DC3 for the Dave and then his DC4 and finally the ARC6 so as a long term customer SJ asked if I would like to listen to the final options on his short list for the make of capacitors he was going to use. The surprise to me was how much of a sound difference there was between these different manufacturers caps. The AudioNote Kaisei ones he finally selected were the clear winners to my ears and also to Sean's ears. Sean told me that his board was originally intended to mitigate the effect of different lengths of umbilical cable but I only have short (14 inch) umbilicals and yet the the whole character of the sound has got better with the new Dave Cap Board so it might be worth you looking at this route.

IMG_1002a.jpg
Oh nice! I didn't even know about that. I'll message him and check it out. Thanks :beerchug:

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #22,750 of 25,863
Oh nice! I didn't even know about that. I'll message him and check it out. Thanks :beerchug:
It is new and SJ has just released it after many months of development. 👍

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #22,751 of 25,863
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #22,752 of 25,863
yet the the whole character of the sound has got better with the new Dave Cap Board
Interesting to hear. In what way has the character of the DAVE changed with this new board?

After three frustrating months waiting for a call to send my Innuos Statement back for an ARC6 power supply upgrade, and still waiting, I might get back to Sean and press ahead with an upgrade to my DAVE DC4.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #22,753 of 25,863

IMG_1002a.jpg

That looks neat!

But capping after Dave's LM307/317 regulators would matter more i think.. theres even a 1.5 ohm resistor in series with the lm's output ..so much for low ESR..

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #22,754 of 25,863
I earlier was about to install my supercaps straight on the OP transistors.. but hesitated cause daves original smps cant precharge them..

So i waited
20220731_100935.jpg

Just fits..
20220731_100806.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back