CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 9, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #22,771 of 25,865
Is the board easy to insert or does it require soldering?
It is a user installable item with no soldering. The same Molex 4 pin plug on the board connects to the DC4 or ARC6 umbilical. The board is fixed within the Dave using the same screw holes where the smps was previously removed.

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #22,772 of 25,865
It is a user installable item with no soldering. The same Molex 4 pin plug on the board connects to the DC4 or ARC6 umbilical. The board is fixed within the Dave using the same screw holes where the smps was previously removed.

As a visually impaired technophobe, if i understand you properly, the new board sits where the old sMPS was located and is connected to the Umbilical cable with a Molex connector, is that correct?.

Trying to visualise this in my head, I'm assuming that the new board has a second connector to attach it to the Molex where Dave's original SMPS was plugged, hence the new board fits between the ARC6 Umbilical and the original connection point utilising 2 Molex connectors?.

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #22,773 of 25,865
As a visually impaired technophobe, if i understand you properly, the new board sits where the old sMPS was located and is connected to the Umbilical cable with a Molex connector, is that correct?.

Trying to visualise this in my head, I'm assuming that the new board has a second connector to attach it to the Molex where Dave's original SMPS was plugged, hence the new board fits between the ARC6 Umbilical and the original connection point utilising 2 Molex connectors?.
Correct

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #22,774 of 25,865
Perhaps Sean or Vassil would supply disassembly diagrams. The most difficult part is disassembling Dave if you haven’t done that recently. 4 screws on the top don’t need removal, the way the lower circular piece is sandwiched between the “portal” and main chassis is a bit of a puzzle and getting your fingers in to remove the larger ribbon connector is a bit of finger yoga. But if you installed a DC4 cable installation of the cap board is straight forward.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #22,775 of 25,865
My wife installed the board. I did the heavy lifting of the Dave lid to make sure there was no scratching.

Attachments

• IMG_4503.jpeg
    IMG_4503.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4504.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 10, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #22,781 of 25,865
Hi all, I'm about 3 years into my audophile journey, and I have the Focal Utopia (2020/2022), LCD-5, Stellias. I love these headphones, and I feed them using my Chord Hugo 2 and Astell Kern SP2000. These are the best and favorite sources for me so far. I know that Dave and Dave w/ Mscaler is very highly regarded. So...I went to audition them. The Dave I know is the mega DAC that beats Hugo 2 in all respects, but sadly I couldn't hear it. I prefer the sound of Hugo 2. It's brighter and has more sparkle and clarity to me. I know the Dave and Mscaler are supposed to be the best of the best. So what am I missing? Am I not listening for the right things? Using top tier cables for all the connections, etc... Appreciate any advice. I would hate to miss out on the Dave just because I'm a newbie. When I first started my audio journey...I prefer Chord Mojo and Focal Arche. As time passed...I fell in love with Hugo 2 and Astell Kern Sp2000 that have more detail. thank you everyone! Welcome all advice and commentary :)

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #22,782 of 25,865
Is the board easy to insert or does it require soldering?
Hi all, I'm about 3 years into my audophile journey, and I have the Focal Utopia (2020/2022), LCD-5, Stellias. I love these headphones, and I feed them using my Chord Hugo 2 and Astell Kern SP2000. These are the best and favorite sources for me so far. I know that Dave and Dave w/ Mscaler is very highly regarded. So...I went to audition them. The Dave I know is the mega DAC that beats Hugo 2 in all respects, but sadly I couldn't hear it. I prefer the sound of Hugo 2. It's brighter and has more sparkle and clarity to me. I know the Dave and Mscaler are supposed to be the best of the best. So what am I missing? Am I not listening for the right things? Using top tier cables for all the connections, etc... Appreciate any advice. I would hate to miss out on the Dave just because I'm a newbie. When I first started my audio journey...I prefer Chord Mojo and Focal Arche. As time passed...I fell in love with Hugo 2 and Astell Kern Sp2000 that have more detail. thank you everyone! Welcome all advice and commentary :)
Where did you audition Dave? At a dealer? Was it broken in? Single ended output? Power chord with ferrites? Dave is quirky for it to sound great it needs to be optimized, dealers don’t do this.

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #22,783 of 25,865
Thats the importance of listening before making a purchase. You saved thousands on something you learned you don’t need.

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #22,785 of 25,865
Where did you audition Dave? At a dealer? Was it broken in? Single ended output? Power chord with ferrites? Dave is quirky for it to sound great it needs to be optimized, dealers don’t do this.
Standard power cable with USB Audioquest Diamond. Same that feeds the Hugo 2…

How would you compare Dave to Hugo 2? Trying to better understand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back