Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #1,276 of 1,746
Hugo2 have more mids, but on my setup 100% tubes the mids and tops are too soft sounding.

Like you never get burned if you play with real fire. For instance violins (a lots in Mahler) is just to nice for me.

Will properly be different in Solid State setup but not on my tubes. I need to be a little burned if I play with fire :)

Can't read a whole lot into your observations without some indication of your entire system. A simple flow chart in your signature would help. Are you adding any galvanic isolator to the Hugo 2 when you make this comparison?

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,278 of 1,746
Hi.

As a person who find the 2qute better suited in my retro setup 4P1L-2A3-Tannoy HPD-385 (425 liter) than
the borrowed Hugo2, which I haven't used for 2 days, I'll just say welcome to the magic of this DAC.

I'm taking a insane stress test right now, playing all the Mahler Symphonies 1-9 in a row.

I haven't had anything to complain over, closely approaching the 10 hour playing time.

If you as I'm 100% on tubes, you definitely need the more "bite" is has compared to the Hugo2.

>>THERE is no burn in in the 2qute.

Not If you ask me. I'll give it at least 100+ hours, it might be your brains which really need it, but just to be sure.

a LPS PSU , would be a huge step up, even Rob Watts don't think so.

Play some music which has a lot of complex music, You will notice the different to more conventional DACs.
Makes me wonder if you have recently read the new issue of HIFI News, because Mahler is the composer of the month.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,279 of 1,746
Okay.

LPS (PSU) -> Chord 2qute -> 4P1L (preamp) - 2A3 (amp) - Tannoy HPD 385 (speakers).

Pictures of Amps here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-554#post-13770162

I haven't tried galvanic isolator on the Hugo2. Haven't had any myself.

What is steaming to the DAC is more important, thus your flow chart above still doesn't help.

Hugo 2, being mobile, does not have galvanic isolation. The 2Qute does.

How clean of a stream with power and clocks can make a huge difference in SQ.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #1,281 of 1,746
If you use the optical input (which should electrically isolate the DAC), it doesn't matter, right?
It would be a more fair comparison.
Personally, I've always found USB done correct, sounds the best, plus more versatility in format playback, component choice.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,282 of 1,746
It would be a more fair comparison.
Personally, I've always found USB done correct, sounds the best, plus more versatility in format playback, component choice.

Yes, some of the best network players (like the SOtM sMS-200ultra) do connect to the DAC via USB, so I know what you mean. (Though they use Ethernet etc. upstream.)

It's a shame I got rid of my 2Qute before upgrading to floorstanding speakers. I'll probably do another speaker upgrade before getting either the Hugo 2 or 2Qute successor.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #1,284 of 1,746
Hi.

As a person who find the 2qute better suited in my retro setup 4P1L-2A3-Tannoy HPD-385 (425 liter) than
the borrowed Hugo2, which I haven't used for 2 days, I'll just say welcome to the magic of this DAC.

I'm taking a insane stress test right now, playing all the Mahler Symphonies 1-9 in a row.

I haven't had anything to complain over, closely approaching the 10 hour playing time.

If you as I'm 100% on tubes, you definitely need the more "bite" is has compared to the Hugo2.

>>THERE is no burn in in the 2qute.

Not If you ask me. I'll give it at least 100+ hours, it might be your brains which really need it, but just to be sure.

a LPS PSU , would be a huge step up, even Rob Watts don't think so.

Play some music which has a lot of complex music, You will notice the different to more conventional DACs.

Let's be clear about this - I have never said that replacing the SMPS supplied with 2 Qute will not make a difference in your system, as YMWV. I have said that 2 Qute is insensitive to the PSU, and this is true; when you hear an improvement it is because the amp is sensitive to the PSU not 2 Qute. A power amp that has very sophisticated RF filtering (like my power amps) is insensitive to local RF noise sources on the mains; unfortunately, most amps have no or inadequate RF filtering, and thus would be sensitive to any SMPS that is close to the amp. So again - YMWV depending upon the rest of the equipment 2 Qute is paired with.

Rob

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,285 of 1,746
I have made my own system a lot like https://www.daphile.com/

Streaming from a Laptop , ubuntu linux server 17.04 , squeezelite , LMS on the same system using USB.
Running on a Linux realtime compiled kernel (4.11.x). All unnecessary programs/services is either stopped or removed.
Files is on a quite powerful server and streaming is over SMB ( Samba).

I have wrote my frontend in php, which communicate directly with the LMS. Have tried anything regards MPD but this setup
is less resource hungry and gives me a better performance when streaming DSD.

I have made a "stream from memory function", which moves the desired files from the Server (SMB) to Linux /dev/shm ramdisk.
Then I can play from Ram/Memory which is the most optimal solution I know of.

Next week I'll build a even more powerful computer 100% passive cooled, basen upon the Intel Kaby Lake i5-7600t 35watt TPD.

The Linux realtime kernel ensures low latency..

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #1,287 of 1,746
Let's be clear about this - I have never said that replacing the SMPS supplied with 2 Qute will not make a difference in your system, as YMWV. I have said that 2 Qute is insensitive to the PSU, and this is true; when you hear an improvement it is because the amp is sensitive to the PSU not 2 Qute. A power amp that has very sophisticated RF filtering (like my power amps) is insensitive to local RF noise sources on the mains; unfortunately, most amps have no or inadequate RF filtering, and thus would be sensitive to any SMPS that is close to the amp. So again - YMWV depending upon the rest of the equipment 2 Qute is paired with.

Rob

Fair enough. As long as it help a tube guy as I'm. Again we have all different setups, and this makes thinks very complicated.

I also means that the 2qute is serving better in my setup than the Hugo2, and this should be completely insane.

So the next DAC I'll try from Chord, can not afford the DAVE so no point in trying it, might be 3qute.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #1,288 of 1,746
I installed 2Qute on Sunday afternoon and listened to it a bit on Monday. Sounded nice, about as good as my Modimultibyte. Listened again late yesterday afternoon and its now more resolving and more musical than Mimby. There is a definite break in period. Also I think it was designed to be left powered on all the time, or there would be a power switch. I am very pleased with this combo.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,290 of 1,746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back