Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 7, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #8,296 of 22,467
UPDATE: Having been to the London Indulgence Show last Friday, I collected my new Questyle QP2R DAP from Audio Sanctuary (who organise this London Hi-Fi Show). Whilst at the shop,I auditioned the Hugo 2 with my K812's and knew it was fabulous within 15 minutes of listening to wav music on my laptop. I had been warned I might find the K812/Hugo 2 too bright but I thought the sound was amazing and obviously a huge step up from my DF Red (and so it should be when £165 goes against £1,800). I loved the bass, quality & quanity, the open & clean midrange and the Hugo 2 gave me that little bit more treble from my K812's (exactly what I was after). So I gave Audio Sanctuary a deposit for a black one and they say that the next batch arrive in 4/5 weeks, can't wait. Apparently 4/5 weeks does mean 4/5 weeks (I refer to the stretched delivery times which frustrated a number of people understandably). So I would like to thank everyone who has offered advice and help, both here and via PM's re two of my upgrades.
When my Hugo 2 is run in, I will then borrow a dem pair of Utopia's and see how they get on with the Hugo 2, like them with the Questyle QP2R DAP at the Show but whether they represent +£2,000 worth of value to me over the K812's is to be seen!
Have you seen that Focal have just launched the Clear, positioned somewhere in between the Elear and Utopia? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/page-9#post-13767354

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #8,297 of 22,467
Just noticed this thread has (or had, up until this post) a palindromic view-count:

Palindromic H2 thread view-count.jpg

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #8,300 of 22,467
Hello

i got my h2 before 2 days ago and today when i plug it into my macbook pro and charge it at the same time the unit getting very very hot? Is that normal

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #8,303 of 22,467
How do you activate line out? It says press xphd after turning it on but I'm not sure if it's working. Is the volume suppose to be fixed if it's activated?

Hold Xphd while turning it on (at the same time). Line-out mode is nothing more than a volume preset to 3Vrms. Nothing is changed or bypassed internally. Yes you can change the volume after setting line-out level but this volume will now be remembered the next time you turn on the Hugo2 so take caution when plugging in headphones.

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #8,304 of 22,467
How do you activate line out? It says press xphd after turning it on but I'm not sure if it's working. Is the volume suppose to be fixed if it's activated?
To activate line out press and hold xphd and power buttons simultaneously. The volume indicator should should shine purple when power comes on.

To ensure line out mode and not headphone out mode, I do the following. Power on normally first and check the volume indicator. If it is purple, then adjust the volume control to make it another color. If it is already a color other than purple then leave it as it is. Now power off. Next press&hold xphd and while holding it down, press power button till hugo turns on. Make sure the volume indicator is lit purple. This should be line out mode and not headphone out. If volume indicator is not purple when it is turning on, then its still in headphone out mode and you need to repeat the process.

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #8,306 of 22,467
Oct 8, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #8,307 of 22,467
Was out a little to soon with my conclusion on the Hugo2 vs 2qute.

Again only tested it on my 4P1L-2a3-Tannoy HPD-385 (425 liter) 100dB speakers.

This is so far away, as you get like been on another planet, compare to your guys "modern" equipment.

The oldest component is my 6SL7 driver tube produced in 1943, active driving my 2a3 DHT tubes.

Right now I'm playing a violin concert Nicola Benedetti - The Silver Violin, (Hugo2) and there is not doubt there
is tons off details, but to me there is something "artificial softness" around every note she's playing, I'm missing
the BITE I have in my 2Qute.

I have been in "desktop mode" for at least 24 hours, and tried all kind of combination of filters-etc-etc.

I can easily hear the better resolution of the notes, but the more I'm listening the more I get the feeling of set aside.
I'm not in connection the same way as I'm with my 2Qute.

I have my homemade LPS PSU on my 2Qute , even if rob watts couldn't detect any different, It was huge in my setup.
The length on the note was definitely longer and for me it was taking the DAC to another level.

Right now changing to the 2qute, will play the same music over again.

First there is a huge difference in the way these to DACs are playing. Regardless the resolution now I really connect to
the music again. Her violin, one of the most expensive stradivarius sound so beautiful and real on my RETRO setup.

For you guys It might be another story, but consider seriously a long listening session before trashing your 2Qute.

For me if something not completely different happen to my (ear,brains) over the next days, my 2qute will stay, and this
was a huge surprise considering the better specs the Hugo2 has.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #8,309 of 22,467
Line level mode will take care of the optimum voltage requirement for line level inputs of amps. Maybe it doesn't make much difference but its 1 less thing to worry about..

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #8,310 of 22,467
Line level mode will take care of the optimum voltage requirement for line level inputs of amps. Maybe it doesn't make much difference but its 1 less thing to worry about..

Not when Chord's line level output is 3V and the norm is about 2V. Other than that, it depends on the amp. Most amps have their volume controls at the inputs, so setting the Hugo to a level that allows comfortable use of the amp's volume pot is possible. Or, the Hugo can act as the volume control with the amp's volume set to max.

The time when an ideal voltage level is truly desired is with amps like those from Audio-gd where the volume control is after the first gain stage. Then too high an input would be detrimental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back