Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 15, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #13,054 of 18,757
Maybe I‘m completely ignorant, I don‘t know... I don‘t know much about Poly yet, but am actually thinking about buying a Mojo...

Can someone please explain me (I‘m not joking) what Poly does that e.g. an ipod touch attached to Mojo with e.g. velcro tape couldn‘t do? Or a cheap android device? At least they would have a display for a direct control, which I guess would improve the usability... At 1/3 of the costs of Poly... without any sound quality impact...

Am I missing an important point?

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #13,055 of 18,757
My Poly was replaced in waranty after it suddenly stopped working (out of the blue) but unfortunately I can't make the Gofigure app (latest version) recognize the new Poly (on my Samsung Galaxy S7 that i was using before). I've tried unistalling the Gofigure app, clear both the app and Bluetooth cache. I've managed to configure the new Poly to connect to the phone's hotspot (while the phone was connected to the Internet) and it even downloaded a new firmare version (I know that because Poly’s P-status LED cycled through Red, Green and Blue) but I can't see the firmware version on the Poly page when in Access Point Mode (the firmware version isn't displayed there and never was before the firmware update; i know that because I've checked before configuring the Wi-Fi settings and after the firmware update). I get a solid Blue LED when it's connected to the phone's hotspot and I can also see Poly connected in the Hotspot settings of the phone. But I can't see my new Poly in the Gofigure App (i've tried with both Normal & Alternate mode). I initially connected/paired Poly via Bluetooth (without using any PIN) but after failing to see it in the Gofigure app and reading on this forum that it might prioritize the Bluetooth connection instead of the wireless one, I've unpaired Poly and cleared the Bluetooth cache. Now it doesn't detect Poly when i activate Bluetooth...
Also I have a problem with the new unit that I never encountered with the old unit, a problem that Malcyg & kierai also had with their Poly: the Samsung EVO Plus microSD card I've inserted in Poly without using any force is stuck and I can't remove it. The click is there when I push the card, but it doesn't eject the card.
I will visit the local retailer on Monday morning too see what can be done but if you can give me an advice in the meantime, I would really apreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have an iOS device to test with (like stancorrected did).

@Matt Bartlett Thanks for replying to absolutely everyone except me. :) I'm not saying your are cherry picking, maybe my message was easily missed or too long to read. The second Poly was replaced under warranty because it had a faulty microSD slot from the factory. So much for Made in England... Right now I'm on my 3rd Poly and with only 1 year warranty, the future doesn't sound good. But you know what they say: "third time's a charm". :D Actually no because I still can't see Poly in the Gofigure app latest version (since yesterday). I've tried with 2x Android phones, neither of them worked. Same story as before. I still can't see the firmware version on the Poly page when in Access Point Mode. Poly connects to the network but all it does when i restart it is to cycle hrough Red, Green and Blue. I don't know how many firmare updates Poly had from launch (found 1.0.10/1.06/1.0.26/1.0.41 and the famous 2.0.0) but I refuse to think it's still downloading/installing a firmware like the LED cycle would suggest.
Screenshot_20190415-215321_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190415-215333_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190415-220028.jpg
Screenshot_20190415-220114_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190415-231333_Samsung Internet.jpg

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #13,056 of 18,757
Maybe I‘m completely ignorant, I don‘t know... I don‘t know much about Poly yet, but am actually thinking about buying a Mojo...

Can someone please explain me (I‘m not joking) what Poly does that e.g. an ipod touch attached to Mojo with e.g. velcro tape couldn‘t do? Or a cheap android device? At least they would have a display for a direct control, which I guess would improve the usability... At 1/3 of the costs of Poly... without any sound quality impact...

Honestly, not a whole lot. And yes there have definitely been issues controlling playback on the poly (though it seems much better to me now since the 2.0 update). Its really about the form factor and having a first party accessory that is built to work directly with the mojo. There was some talk about reduced radio interference with the poly as compared to a phone. And in my experience, you can definitely hear radio interference when using your phone directly with the mojo, but the poly has some of its own wifi interference too (though also seems to be quite a bit reduced after the latest firmware).

There is definitely some benefit to having a screen directly attached for control, but the one real benefit I would say about the poly there is that since it uses relatively widely used standards, its likely not going to get outdated. Since you likely have a decent up to date phone, you can keep that up to date and continue to use the poly into the future. Of course, you are still reliant on whatever apps you can use.

So, the real question is, is it worth the cost to use your phone as a controller for your dap, and to have a sleek form factor and first party accessory.

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #13,057 of 18,757

Great question. I'm not sure.

For a while, I was using the Hiby R3 to the Mojo and the form factor was reasonably convenient. Has allyhe Poly features i want: bt (bi-directional, you would use the bt receiver only with a mojo, obviously not the bt tranceiver), airplay receiver, coax for digital connection, fast usb-c charging, sd card, tidal (streaming only, no offline). Plus a touchscreen display and physical play control buttons, and full access to songs, albums, and artists without needing wifi. All for 1/3 the price of the poly.

On the flip side, the poly is smaller and aligns with the mojo for physical convenience. No rubber bands or velcro.

Also, subjectively, I feel like the sound from the SD Card provides the best sound that can be gotten out of the Mojo, but who knows, maybe it's not that different compared to using a smart phone or DAP to the Mojo and it’s all in my head.

For Roon users, it's quite the advantage too, because it's an all-in-on unit you can use as the source for a sound system, freeing up your smart phone from other smart phone functions.

Though I don't use Roon, I do enjoy using AirPlay around the house. Just plug Mojo into my stereo, and airplay music to it from any smart mobile device. That's pretty convenient.

Still, though, whether it's true or it's my imagination, I do enjoy the Poly tremendously.

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #13,058 of 18,757
Thanks. Yes a small update to Android Gofigure today to fix the internet radio delete bug. Still working on the other feedback/bugs we received.
Hi Matt - updated Android GoFigure. Through trial and error managed to find the syntax for a correct test radio stream (eg LBC London - http://media-ice.musicradio.com/LBCLondon ). When I go to add the station to preinstalled list (using "Add Station" button) it just adds a new blank line under the list of stations. I can jump to this new station and stream correctly by touching this blank line. But it won't be added to the list. The next time I go to the radio list it will have no record of it, blank line or other. Is there something I'm missing to permanently add a station to the list?

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #13,059 of 18,757
@Matt Bartlett Thanks for replying to absolutely everyone except me. :) I'm not saying your are cherry picking, maybe my message was easily missed or too long to read. The second Poly was replaced under warranty because it had a faulty microSD slot from the factory. So much for Made in England... Right now I'm on my 3rd Poly and with only 1 year warranty, the future doesn't sound good. But you know what they say: "third time's a charm". :D Actually no because I still can't see Poly in the Gofigure app latest version (since yesterday). I've tried with 2x Android phones, neither of them worked. Same story as before. I still can't see the firmware version on the Poly page when in Access Point Mode. Poly connects to the network but all it does when i restart it is to cycle hrough Red, Green and Blue. I don't know how many firmare updates Poly had from launch (found 1.0.10/1.06/1.0.26/1.0.41 and the famous 2.0.0) but I refuse to think it's still downloading/installing a firmware like the LED cycle would suggest.

Apologies I didn't reply to your post it was a genuine mistake. It's not always easy to pick out all the posts when you are reply to lots at the same time.
So the reason your Poly is not visible in Gofigure is because it is still on the original firmware. I suspect looking at the screenshots it is still on 1.0.04 or 05 firmware.
Can you PM me your serial number and your retailer details so I can check here.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #13,060 of 18,757
Hi Matt - updated Android GoFigure. Through trial and error managed to find the syntax for a correct test radio stream (eg LBC London - http://media-ice.musicradio.com/LBCLondon ). When I go to add the station to preinstalled list (using "Add Station" button) it just adds a new blank line under the list of stations. I can jump to this new station and stream correctly by touching this blank line. But it won't be added to the list. The next time I go to the radio list it will have no record of it, blank line or other. Is there something I'm missing to permanently add a station to the list?

Ok that's a bit odd but I'll do some checking here. Can you remind me which phone you have please.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #13,061 of 18,757
One of the changes that came with new firmware is that Glider now lets me choose between a regular MPD and an UPnP MPD for rendering. I chose the UPnP one this morning which worked for a few tracks during my commute on the bus then the music stopped and the UPnP MPD became gray in Glider. I guess, some relevant service on the Poly crashed? Fortunately the other one still worked.

E5B6341A-6489-4259-89E9-EABB7C435597.png

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #13,062 of 18,757
What iOS app do people recommend for streaming DNLA over? I’m looking to try the new Tidal streaming feature, as I have a free 6 month subscription. I’ve tried 8Player, but it’s not the most streamline option. I would like to try some other options, if there are any.

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #13,064 of 18,757
@Matt Bartlett & Fellow Head-Fiers
After the recent GoFigure update I had some more music added to my MicroSD, in the process I deleted the DLNA database file and the zip file for the album artwork. I basically use the M.A.L.P on Android. Right now I see only few albums in the list and I have been hitting the DLNA refresh, it does com up as indexing but I can't see everything in M.A.L.P

Am I doing something wrong?

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #13,065 of 18,757
@Matt Bartlett & Fellow Head-Fiers
After the recent GoFigure update I had some more music added to my MicroSD, in the process I deleted the DLNA database file and the zip file for the album artwork. I basically use the M.A.L.P on Android. Right now I see only few albums in the list and I have been hitting the DLNA refresh, it does com up as indexing but I can't see everything in M.A.L.P

Am I doing something wrong?

You might have corrupted the database files now. Try this. Remove the card and put it back into the computer. Delete the mpd, SD-free and art-cache files.
Put the card back into Poly and then leave it. Poly should automatically index the card. Then switch Poly completely off and back on again and you should see Poly complete the index.
Check back in with Gofigure to see the number of tracks and then try with MALP.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back