Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 26, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #11,551 of 18,774
As I’ve said beofore in this thread (only 635 posts go), “About SQ, there is not much to say except that Poly allows Mojo to sound its absolute best. This is down to these 3 things, as far as I can gather:

The Poly has a very fast, and - I assume - electrically quiet processor and circuitry custom designed for audio.
The elimination of power supply noise (when running only on battery).
The elimination of any RFI from the USB cable, all add up to better sound.

So, a few small things that really do add up.”

You may already be lucky enough to have a completely optimized system with Mojo and so won’t see any improvement from Poly. But many people have small RFI or other issues that Poly/Mojo fixes. So, Poly allows Mojo to sound its best.

I may be alone on this, but I have posted many many times in this thread that the RFI noise I get using the poly is actually worse than I get with the mojo. Its not the exact same noise, but with my IEMs its extremely extremely noticeable when using the poly, and after posting here many times and debating whether to send my poly in for service to get it checked out (wouldnt be the first time) I get the idea that its just the way it is.

The RFI noise on the mojo was always the cell phone RFI stuff that would be transmitted over usb from my phone to the mojo. Similar to if you hold your phone up to an old unshielded speaker. With the poly, the wifi radio generates its own interference that I can hear on my headphones. And it happens a lot. Any time I perform any action that uses the wifi (even just scrolling through the dlna library on an app on my phone causes it). While its not really audible during louder portions, its extremely noticeable for me during quieter portions of songs or when nothing is playing.

And I dont know if it was ever a direct promise, but it has been said in here that using the poly was supposed to eliminate the RFI interference, but my experience has been the exact opposite. To the point that I almost never use my poly because its so annoying that a piece of equipment that cost over $1100 combined would have such annoying noise almost all the time.

For reference, my number 1 IEMs I use this with are campfire atlas. I have tested with other campfire iems, and some of my other iems too. Some work better than others. I also tried with a sennheiser HD6XX which had no noise. I tried moving my IEMs from one mojo jack to the other, which helped in certain circumstances (like at home vs work), though not at all in others. Of course I was told by chord in this thread that it shouldnt have made any difference. Then I was told that it might have been the cable picking up the noise directly. And yes if I move the cable directly in front of the radio window its worse. But there is no position I can move the cable to completely eliminate it. Same IEMs never pick up any interference from any other device, not on my phone, not using a bluetooth dac (radsone es100) or anything else. Felt a bit like that whole apple situation "Youre holding it wrong".

I stick around because the sound quality (when theres no interference) is just amazing, and the experience when its working right is pretty great. But... I dunno.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #11,552 of 18,774
I may be alone on this, but I have posted many many times in this thread that the RFI noise I get using the poly is actually worse than I get with the mojo. Its not the exact same noise, but with my IEMs its extremely extremely noticeable when using the poly, and after posting here many times and debating whether to send my poly in for service to get it checked out (wouldnt be the first time) I get the idea that its just the way it is.

The RFI noise on the mojo was always the cell phone RFI stuff that would be transmitted over usb from my phone to the mojo. Similar to if you hold your phone up to an old unshielded speaker. With the poly, the wifi radio generates its own interference that I can hear on my headphones. And it happens a lot. Any time I perform any action that uses the wifi (even just scrolling through the dlna library on an app on my phone causes it). While its not really audible during louder portions, its extremely noticeable for me during quieter portions of songs or when nothing is playing.

And I dont know if it was ever a direct promise, but it has been said in here that using the poly was supposed to eliminate the RFI interference, but my experience has been the exact opposite. To the point that I almost never use my poly because its so annoying that a piece of equipment that cost over $1100 combined would have such annoying noise almost all the time.

For reference, my number 1 IEMs I use this with are campfire atlas. I have tested with other campfire iems, and some of my other iems too. Some work better than others. I also tried with a sennheiser HD6XX which had no noise. I tried moving my IEMs from one mojo jack to the other, which helped in certain circumstances (like at home vs work), though not at all in others. Of course I was told by chord in this thread that it shouldnt have made any difference. Then I was told that it might have been the cable picking up the noise directly. And yes if I move the cable directly in front of the radio window its worse. But there is no position I can move the cable to completely eliminate it. Same IEMs never pick up any interference from any other device, not on my phone, not using a bluetooth dac (radsone es100) or anything else. Felt a bit like that whole apple situation "Youre holding it wrong".

I stick around because the sound quality (when theres no interference) is just amazing, and the experience when its working right is pretty great. But... I dunno.

mashuto, I usually listen through cans, but will try to replicate your findings with iems (FLC8s, so maybe not as sensitive as yours) and see. Using headphones I have also not heard this. Some small noise may be generated that sensitive iems can detect.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #11,553 of 18,774
mashuto, I usually listen through cans, but will try to replicate your findings with iems (FLC8s, so maybe not as sensitive as yours) and see. Using headphones I have also not heard this. Some small noise may be generated that sensitive iems can detect.

Yea, my less sensitive IEMs seem better, though not immune. Just disappointing that it seems like this was overlooked. And for something that is billed as a portable dap/dac whatever, if I cant use it with my IEMs, which are my portable headphones, then whats the point?

Dec 27, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #11,554 of 18,774
@mashuto @jarnopp

I second mashuto's concerns and funnily I pick it up with my Yamaha studio cans as well. The issue occurs when Poly's searching for a network, once on a network (Even through phone's hotspot) when I browse through the SD card library. It is a chirping noise unlike the RFI noise.

It doesn't occur in Airplane/Bluetooth mode for Bluetooth listening plus this is where the 'Quick Play' comes in handy. There is no noise and SQ is sublime as a result.

Ven

Dec 27, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #11,555 of 18,774
@mashuto @jarnopp

I second mashuto's concerns and funnily I pick it up with my Yamaha studio cans as well. The issue occurs when Poly's searching for a network, once on a network (Even through phone's hotspot) when I browse through the SD card library. It is a chirping noise unlike the RFI noise.

It doesn't occur in Airplane/Bluetooth mode for Bluetooth listening plus this is where the 'Quick Play' comes in handy. There is no noise and SQ is sublime as a result.

Ven
Thinking slightly laterally.
A while back, owners had problems trying to use playlists which included network addresses, if there was no network.
Are you browsing playlists containing network addresses, causing Poly to try and find a network, rather than connect to the SD card itself?

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #11,556 of 18,774
I’d use airplay to play to poly for this scenario- works a treat.

@krismusic it’s literally as simple as starting up poly in hotspot mode, connect your iPhone to the hotspot. Play the tidal app, choose poly as the airplay destination.
There are no problems with this scenario that I personally experience.
I'm away at the moment. When I get home I will give Poly a whirl. Solely on your say so. If it doesn't work out, I'll send you the invoice! :wink:

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #11,557 of 18,774
@mashuto @jarnopp

Ven

I believe you both, but can’t replicate it. I may have even heard the noise before myself, but can’t recall which app or mode I was using. But trying just now, I can’t replicate with my iems doing any of the following:
- browsing libraries in Roon in Roon mode
- browsing libraries on the SD card using Glider as an MPD server in DLNA mode
- browsing libraries in the SD card using 8Player
- browsing Tidal artists and albums using the Tidal app in DLNA mode

I do have a bit of a cold, but honestly except maybe one occasion (and it could have been RFI?), I haven’t noticed or it hasn’t bothered me. Perhaps some units or configurations or iems are more sensitive, but since it’s not really an issue for me (others?), I’m not going to be looking to create one :)

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #11,559 of 18,774
@mashuto @jarnopp

Ven
I can't replicate any of this with Sony MDR-EX650AP or iPod Touch ear buds.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #11,560 of 18,774
I’d use airplay to play to poly for this scenario- works a treat.

@krismusic it’s literally as simple as starting up poly in hotspot mode, connect your iPhone to the hotspot. Play the tidal app, choose poly as the airplay destination.
There are no problems with this scenario that I personally experience.

I have been wondering how to play Tidal thanks for that informative last sentence

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #11,564 of 18,774
Are you serious or trolling? I apologize if you are serious, in which case, look up the page at my last post.
I'm entirely serious. I don't need the SD card facility and I have a very neat set up with an old iPhone and third party cable which works extremely well for listening to Tidal, both streaming and offline. I would take a little convincing to spend a fair chunk of money on a device that has quite a lot of negative press online, both here and elsewhere. I haven't yet read a convincing technical reason why Polly would sound better than a smartphone in airplane mode. I would like to be convinced of Poly and will probably try it as it is such a neat device but the real clincher would be if it definitely sounds better. And worked! BTW. I don't quite see the relevance of your last post. :)

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #11,565 of 18,774
I'm entirely serious. I don't need the SD card facility and I have a very neat set up with an old iPhone and third party cable which works extremely well for listening to Tidal, both streaming and offline. I would take a little convincing to spend a fair chunk of money on a device that has quite a lot of negative press online, both here and elsewhere. I haven't yet read a convincing technical reason why Polly would sound better than a smartphone in airplane mode. I would like to be convinced of Poly and will probably try it as it is such a neat device but the real clincher would be if it definitely sounds better. And worked! BTW. I don't quite see the relevance of your last post. :)
Perhaps the relevance is that many of your posts, are written in the style of someone wanting the Poly owners, to persuade him not to buy a Poly.
On an online forum, it is impossible to hear clues about context, such as inflexion in the voice, so posters have just the bare text and emojis to rely on - and they can be ambiguous at times.
There are many Poly owners participating on this thread, who are glad to offer help and advice, but the style of your posts is confusing them as to how to reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back