Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 27, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #11,566 of 18,775
Perhaps the relevance is that many of your posts, are written in the style of someone wanting the Poly owners, to persuade him not to buy a Poly.
On an online forum, it is impossible to hear clues about context, such as inflexion in the voice, so posters have just the bare text and emojis to rely on - and they can be ambiguous at times.
There are many Poly owners participating on this thread, who are glad to offer help and advice, but the style of your posts is confusing them as to how to reply.
I'm sorry if I am being obtuse. I'm in the very fortunate position of being able to buy a Poly. I love the Mojo. I've read many posts on here and also elsewhere online saying that Poly is somewhat difficult to set up and temperamental.
On top of that I am very wary of devices that claim all sorts of improvement in sound quality with no basis in scientific fact. Unfortunately I am not particularly technically minded so cannot ascertain the veracity of claims for myself. Apologies again if I am being annoying.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #11,567 of 18,775
I'm sorry if I am being obtuse. I'm in the very fortunate position of being able to buy a Poly. I love the Mojo. I've read many posts on here and also elsewhere online saying that Poly is somewhat difficult to set up and temperamental.
On top of that I am very wary of devices that claim all sorts of improvement in sound quality with no basis in scientific fact. Unfortunately I am not particularly technically minded so cannot ascertain the veracity of claims for myself. Apologies again if I am being annoying.

If you have no issues with your sound quality and the use cases you have are already met, the. You probably won’t benefit from Poly, particularly because it can be a little quirky (or a lot), depending how you want to use it.

My second to last post (now) was an explanation of why I think Poly is able to extract the best from (or rather, feed the best to) Mojo. The SQ benefit is really a removal of detractions, because it’s not an mScaler or anything that would “improve” the signal.

My use cases were to keep my phone away from Mojo, avoiding RFI, to have a small setup as simple as possible (so not carry extra daps or such), and to have extra storage for music (SD card), so it ticked he boxes. It is expensive, but for me the technology and uses were justifiable, and fortunately, affordable. I also was lucky t9 preorder before the price increases, but now would likely buy again if needed.

Dec 27, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #11,568 of 18,775
I believe you both, but can’t replicate it. I may have even heard the noise before myself, but can’t recall which app or mode I was using. But trying just now, I can’t replicate with my iems doing any of the following:
- browsing libraries in Roon in Roon mode
- browsing libraries on the SD card using Glider as an MPD server in DLNA mode
- browsing libraries in the SD card using 8Player
- browsing Tidal artists and albums using the Tidal app in DLNA mode

I do have a bit of a cold, but honestly except maybe one occasion (and it could have been RFI?), I haven’t noticed or it hasn’t bothered me. Perhaps some units or configurations or iems are more sensitive, but since it’s not really an issue for me (others?), I’m not going to be looking to create one :)
I am using M.A.L.P app under Android platform and I exhibit this. It is the same case with Bubble as well

Dec 27, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #11,569 of 18,775
I've been considering buying a Poly, but come to the conclusion that until it has reasonable support for bluetooth streaming (AAC and aptX), then the product doesn't fit my needs.

I currently use the Radsone ES100 and FiiO BTR3 for bluetooth audio with various IEMs, and comparing them to my Chord Mojo, the difference in sound quality is fairly minor. I've heard the iFi xDSD and FiiO Q5 are even closer to the sound of the Mojo/Poly, and can similarly power high impedance headphones, but for half the cost of the Poly. For the price of the Poly, I'd expect it to have the basic level of bluetooth support as devices that cost $100 or less. Heck, the $25 μBTR has better bluetooth support than the Poly.

Sure, I understand the potential benefit of using wifi over bluetooth, but there are many downsides to it too. Please give customers both options, with robust support of both bluetooth and wifi.

Are there future plans for AAC and aptX support?

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #11,570 of 18,775

I've had the Poly for many months now. Though I have a 400Gb memory card loaded with music, I'd say my typical usage has settled into mostly using my phone as the source and streaming to Poly wirelessly. Why? Simply because as I hop between vehicles for work, I don't always have MojoPoly with me, so it's convenient to have as much music as possible loaded on my phones SD card, so I can play music I want to hear. I don't regret buying Poly at all. Mojo was always amazing, but the OTG cable was cumbersome. Especially on the move. I wouldn't tell you to buy on the basis of sound quality. As with all things hi-fi, you get to the stage where the source (Mojo) is so good already, any improvements are marginal compared to the cost to achieve them. Poly (in my view) does make Mojo sound better than using the OTG cable. It also got rid of the annoying pops and clicks Android 6 and up introduced. I don't think though that Chord markets Poly purely on SQ. To my ears it certainly sounds smoother (like the optic input vs USB OTG), that was a bonus I only discovered after buying Poly. I bought it for the streaming and server capabilities. It also decoupled my phone from Mojo which is handy when using Mojo as the source for any AUX devices. Would I buy it again? Definitely. Would I tell you to buy it just to improve SQ? No, but I would suggest trying it at your nearest hi-fi shop so you can put this to bed yourself.

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #11,572 of 18,775
I've had the Poly for many months now. Though I have a 400Gb memory card loaded with music, I'd say my typical usage has settled into mostly using my phone as the source and streaming to Poly wirelessly. Why? Simply because as I hop between vehicles for work, I don't always have MojoPoly with me, so it's convenient to have as much music as possible loaded on my phones SD card, so I can play music I want to hear. I don't regret buying Poly at all. Mojo was always amazing, but the OTG cable was cumbersome. Especially on the move. I wouldn't tell you to buy on the basis of sound quality. As with all things hi-fi, you get to the stage where the source (Mojo) is so good already, any improvements are marginal compared to the cost to achieve them. Poly (in my view) does make Mojo sound better than using the OTG cable. It also got rid of the annoying pops and clicks Android 6 and up introduced. I don't think though that Chord markets Poly purely on SQ. To my ears it certainly sounds smoother (like the optic input vs USB OTG), that was a bonus I only discovered after buying Poly. I bought it for the streaming and server capabilities. It also decoupled my phone from Mojo which is handy when using Mojo as the source for any AUX devices. Would I buy it again? Definitely. Would I tell you to buy it just to improve SQ? No, but I would suggest trying it at your nearest hi-fi shop so you can put this to bed yourself.
That's really helpful advice. Thank you. I think I will buy Poly from somewhere that allows returns and give it a good go. Thanks again.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #11,573 of 18,775
Hello everyone :). Some time ago I've bought Mojo, was more than happy of sound quality, so I've decided to buy Poly. And I have so many problems :D. Setting up the couple was quite challenging (even if I don't have any problems with technology things). I am using Poly in Hybrid mode - with all flac's located on microSD card. Right now I have questions regarded to my problems:
1. Which music player for iPhone you are using? I've bought Glider and it's ruining my battery and don't have equalizer which for me is crucial. Is there any software that can give me possibility to control iPhone's equalizer (outside the Glider) or are there any good alternatives for Glider? I am also not happy about how Glider uses media - there are many problems with indexing, etc. How do you use Poly? Are you creating wi-fi network with your phone and connect Poly to it or are you creating unsecured wi-fi with Poly and connect your phone to it?
2. Do anyone knows how to play music via Poly using PC's Foobar2000? I mean I want to play flac's located on my PC (or if it's possible those one's located on microSD card in Poly), using foobar2000 music player and stream it (using ASIO or WASAPI) through my wi-fi to Poly/Mojo. Anyone knows how to set everything up? I've installed uPnP/DLNA Renderer but don't know how to make it work. I simply don't want every time that I want to play music from my PC to unplug Mojo from Poly, connect it via micro USB and play music. Especially if it seats in 100 $ case which fastener broke at first touch :D. This is not what I want from this couple. And what is most important in this idea - foobar has an equalizer :).

I would love to use Mojo/Poly but it looks quite painful right now :D.
Thank you in advance :).

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #11,575 of 18,775
So as far as SQ goes no advantage to the Poly?
Everyone who plays music direct from the sd card believes it sounds better, more micro detail, as less RFI in the way.
Anyone using Qobuz Sublime (hi res) with Poly?

To connect, we must use blue tooth; hence w/o hi res.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.
They say ... use airplay rather than Bluetooth.
But currently airplay and Bluetooth capped at 44.1 kHz, but you can still get 24bit music, though I’m not saying it sounds better.
But I did realise recently that there is no point in downloading hi-res to my phone if I’m going to airplay that to poly.

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #11,576 of 18,775
Just to clarify that Airplay (2) is capped at 48kHz 16 bits.
So whatever you have downloaded on and played from your source will be downsampled at 44.1kHz 16bits / 48kHz 16 bits (on newer Apple TVs) when using Airplay 2 (and below if legacy Apple device)

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #11,577 of 18,775
Hello everyone :). Some time ago I've bought Mojo, was more than happy of sound quality, so I've decided to buy Poly. And I have so many problems :D. Setting up the couple was quite challenging (even if I don't have any problems with technology things). I am using Poly in Hybrid mode - with all flac's located on microSD card. Right now I have questions regarded to my problems:
1. Which music player for iPhone you are using? I've bought Glider and it's ruining my battery and don't have equalizer which for me is crucial. Is there any software that can give me possibility to control iPhone's equalizer (outside the Glider) or are there any good alternatives for Glider? I am also not happy about how Glider uses media - there are many problems with indexing, etc. How do you use Poly? Are you creating wi-fi network with your phone and connect Poly to it or are you creating unsecured wi-fi with Poly and connect your phone to it?
2. Do anyone knows how to play music via Poly using PC's Foobar2000? I mean I want to play flac's located on my PC (or if it's possible those one's located on microSD card in Poly), using foobar2000 music player and stream it (using ASIO or WASAPI) through my wi-fi to Poly/Mojo. Anyone knows how to set everything up? I've installed uPnP/DLNA Renderer but don't know how to make it work. I simply don't want every time that I want to play music from my PC to unplug Mojo from Poly, connect it via micro USB and play music. Especially if it seats in 100 $ case which fastener broke at first touch :D. This is not what I want from this couple. And what is most important in this idea - foobar has an equalizer :).
I have a very similar set up at home... but I am visiting my parents over the holidays so I can’t be very helpful. I am trying to find a informational website but when I first set up foobar I used the Bubbleupnp app. There website my help you figure it out https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/#foobar2000_configuration

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #11,578 of 18,775

I have a very similar set up at home... but I am visiting my parents over the holidays so I can’t be very helpful. I am trying to find a informational website but when I first set up foobar I used the Bubbleupnp app. There website my help you figure it out https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/#foobar2000_configuration

I have found that Glider and 8Player are my go-to apps for the Poly. I don't see any battery drain with Glider, but I do get some interruptions and some non-playing of music when using Glider. I also get multi-disc CD rips that not in the correct order when using anything other than folder view. I stick with Glider because Joe from Glider is responsive. I do resort to 8Player when Glider doesn't work for me.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #11,579 of 18,775

I have found that Glider and 8Player are my go-to apps for the Poly. I don't see any battery drain with Glider, but I do get some interruptions and some non-playing of music when using Glider. I also get multi-disc CD rips that not in the correct order when using anything other than folder view. I stick with Glider because Joe from Glider is responsive. I do resort to 8Player when Glider doesn't work for me.

Dec 28, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #11,580 of 18,775
They say ... use airplay rather than Bluetooth.
But currently airplay and Bluetooth capped at 44.1 kHz, but you can still get 24bit music, though I’m not saying it sounds better.
But I did realise recently that there is no point in downloading hi-res to my phone if I’m going to airplay that to poly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back