Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #11,086 of 18,821
I've tried to figure this out via several websites but not luck so far or I don't understand.
From what I've found airplay still gets you CD quality and it does work without being online (wifi or 4g connection)?
Can android use a similar procedure where you can use the Mojo/Poly to play music you select on your smartphone (locally stored / downloaded onto the smartphone, ie tidal offline or flac files) without using bluetooth (converting to lossy) or using 4G connection mobile data as hotspot (I personally don't have unlimited data)...

TL;DR: Can you stream offline tidal music or locally stored FLAC files from your Android smartphone to the Mojo / Poly without the use of a cable or bluetooth and still have lossless music coming out of your headphones that are plugged into the Mojo?

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #11,087 of 18,821
I've tried to figure this out via several websites but not luck so far or I don't understand.
From what I've found airplay still gets you CD quality and it does work without being online (wifi or 4g connection)?
Can android use a similar procedure where you can use the Mojo/Poly to play music you select on your smartphone (locally stored / downloaded onto the smartphone, ie tidal offline or flac files) without using bluetooth (converting to lossy) or using 4G connection mobile data as hotspot (I personally don't have unlimited data)...

TL;DR: Can you stream offline tidal music or locally stored FLAC files from your Android smartphone to the Mojo / Poly without the use of a cable or bluetooth and still have lossless music coming out of your headphones that are plugged into the Mojo?
In theory you can "send" music from Tidal through BubbleUPnP so if you have it stored offline, that should work. I never quite got this working but it's a function of BubbleUPnP not the Poly, so try that perhaps?

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #11,088 of 18,821

You can stream from internal or external storage over WiFi and DLNA using BubbleUPnP.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #11,089 of 18,821
I am really wanting to use the Mojo/Poly combo but am unsure even after reading everything on their site, watching all the videos, downloading GoFigure and 8player on my iPhoneX. I would like to write out how I think it should work and get advise from Chord and the folks here who have already used these applications.
My main usage would be to use the Mojo/Poly to play back files stored on the micro ssd. To accomplish this I would use my iPhoneX and 8Player to control the Mojo/Poly. I will not have a wifi network where I am working and plan to use the device using the Poly internal wifi hotspot.

1. Charge the Poly Mojo completely.
2. Poly will initially communicate with my phone via bluetooth so I can set it up using the GoFigure app on my phone
3. As I will have no network, I will configure Poly to have it's internal hotspot always on via the toggle in settings page in GoFigure and let Poly restart.
4. I should now be able to see Poly's internal wifi hotspot and connect to it using my phone
5. Insert the micro ssd that has been formatted to exFAT and loaded with my music files into Poly and wait for the P status light to flash green 3 times indicating it has read the card
5. Open 8Player and choose Poly as the output device, navigate to the music on the micro ssd hit play and enjoy!

Questions: will I need to set up my phones name/ssid in the Gofigure app to let Poly recognize my phone? or will I just connect to the Poly hotspot without a password as it is an unprotected wifi access point?
Any help or hints will be gratefully appreciated!!

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #11,090 of 18,821
I am really wanting to use the Mojo/Poly combo but am unsure even after reading everything on their site, watching all the videos, downloading GoFigure and 8player on my iPhoneX. I would like to write out how I think it should work and get advise from Chord and the folks here who have already used these applications.
My main usage would be to use the Mojo/Poly to play back files stored on the micro ssd. To accomplish this I would use my iPhoneX and 8Player to control the Mojo/Poly. I will not have a wifi network where I am working and plan to use the device using the Poly internal wifi hotspot.

1. Charge the Poly Mojo completely.
2. Poly will initially communicate with my phone via bluetooth so I can set it up using the GoFigure app on my phone
3. As I will have no network, I will configure Poly to have it's internal hotspot always on via the toggle in settings page in GoFigure and let Poly restart.
4. I should now be able to see Poly's internal wifi hotspot and connect to it using my phone
5. Insert the micro ssd that has been formatted to exFAT and loaded with my music files into Poly and wait for the P status light to flash green 3 times indicating it has read the card
5. Open 8Player and choose Poly as the output device, navigate to the music on the micro ssd hit play and enjoy!

Questions: will I need to set up my phones name/ssid in the Gofigure app to let Poly recognize my phone? or will I just connect to the Poly hotspot without a password as it is an unprotected wifi access point?
Any help or hints will be gratefully appreciated!!
you'd need to do both, if you want to use your phone as the hotspot, and then swap to poly as the hotspot. it makes sense, that whatever device connects to the hotspot would need the configuration to understand what to connect too.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #11,091 of 18,821
you'd need to do both, if you want to use your phone as the hotspot, and then swap to poly as the hotspot. it makes sense, that whatever device connects to the hotspot would need the configuration to understand what to connect too.

I won't be able to use my phone as a hotspot where I work so I'm hoping to just set the hotspot on the Poly to "always on" and connect my phone to it over that connection. This is my major worry that without internet I won't be able to control the Mojo/Poly with my phone. From everything I have read and watched it looks like the way I described above will work. I won't be streaming anything just using the micro ssd and controlling it over the Poly hotspot connection.
Question: can I use the 8Player to control the Poly over blue tooth? if so this might be a better option, possibly prolonging battery life?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #11,092 of 18,821
I won't be able to use my phone as a hotspot where I work so I'm hoping to just set the hotspot on the Poly to "always on" and connect my phone to it over that connection. This is my major worry that without internet I won't be able to control the Mojo/Poly with my phone. From everything I have read and watched it looks like the way I described above will work. I won't be streaming anything just using the micro ssd and controlling it over the Poly hotspot connection.
Question: can I use the 8Player to control the Poly over blue tooth? if so this might be a better option, possibly prolonging battery life?

I haven’t tried using 8player since installing Glider. The developer here is very active in making adjustments and it works great with Mojo/Poly. You might try that, too, on your iPhone.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #11,093 of 18,821
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #11,094 of 18,821

Yeah, Joe is cool.

This is the apps I use, Glider, 8Player, AK Connect, HF Player and mpdluxe.

In no particular order but, on a wifi network, AK Connect beats all, it is a renderer aka best quality playback and bypasses airplays 44.1khz limitation, and also has tidal intergration.
On a local wifi network, AK Connect is hard to beat, simply because it’s a renderer and can connect to the sd card, local files on your phone and also tidal, has basically everything thats needed in one app.

Gofigure’s quick player is the best quality sd card player, no other app in my opinion beats gofigures quick play feature for sd card and only sd card playback, the quality is amazing, but it needs added playlists first.

Glider and 8player, I would say that they are more or less the same, although I would love glider to have a specific “renderer” option for us to choose so that we know we are using the best quality available. The first thing I do when I open AKConnect and 8player is select renderer. I think it would be good if glider had that.
Even if it’s not really needed, as it does it itself, maybe a possible light showing us that it’s rendering, like roon’s purple star light for the best quality audio. If glider had a similar dot or light that would signify to users that its audio is playing higher than 44.1khz. That would be great. glider has come on leaps and bounds since the begining of this year, it keeps getting new features added to it, so glider would probably be the overall winner out of all these apps, but it can still have it’s off days, just like the rest of them. I suspect thats more down to poly than down to all the apps.

8 player I like, it has many options, hfplayer I like as it has a great equaliser to mess with, mpdluxe is only for emergencies as it is skank, the interface is skank and the way it works is skank. I only use it in emergencies and even then it annoys me.

Glider, 8player, akconnect, hfplayer, gofigure quick play, mpdluxe. The usual app suspects. Ak connect is plain, but it is a great player because it has tidal.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #11,095 of 18,821
I also find MPDeluxe a great app, its very good at quickly reestablishing the connection between phone and poly for quickly changing albums in work (where i can't be seen to be always poking these devices!)

I actually prefer MPDeluxe, the only issue i can see with it, is the Back button is very close to the IOS back (kinda) button in the top left, and the button is tiny.

But for just playback on sd card, via poly hotspot, I prefer MPDeluxe, maybe because I liked a bit of skank in the past.

I haven't' actually tried Glider in a while, because the flakeyness (multiple poly showing up) when reconnecting poly to phone was always slowing me down.

Another reason i prefer MPDeluxe is that, it only plays music via the poly, so theres no potential of playing the music out of your phone speaker. In work, the last thing I'd want is for others to hear the mental stuff I'm listening too. I find with Glider its possible to do this and i never want to do this.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #11,096 of 18,821
Yeah, Joe is cool.

This is the apps I use, Glider, 8Player, AK Connect, HF Player and mpdluxe.

In no particular order but, on a wifi network, AK Connect beats all, it is a renderer aka best quality playback and bypasses airplays 44.1khz limitation, and also has tidal intergration.
On a local wifi network, AK Connect is hard to beat, simply because it’s a renderer and can connect to the sd card, local files on your phone and also tidal.

Gofigure’s quick player is the best quality sd card player, no other app in my opinion beats gofigures quick play feature for sd card and only sd card playback, the quality is amazing, but it needs added playlists first.

Glider and 8player, I would say that they are more or less the same, although I would love glider to have a specific “renderer” option for us to choose so that we know we are using the best quality available. The first thing I do when I open AKConnect and 8player is select renderer. I think it would be good if glider had that.
Even if it’s not really needed, as it does it itself, maybe a possible light showing us that it’s rendering, like roon’s purple star light for the best quality audio. If glider had a similar dot or light that would signify to users that its audio is playing higher than 44.1khz. That would be great. glider has come on leaps and bounds since the begining of this year, it keeps getting new features added to it, so goider would probably be the overall winner out of all these apps, but it can still have it’s off days, just like the rest of them. I suspect thats more down to poly than down to all the apps.

8 player I like, it has many options, hfplayer I like as it has a great equaliser to mess with, mpdluxe is only for emergencies as it is skank, the interface is skank and the way it works is skank. I only use it in emergencies and even then it annoys me.

Glider, 8player, akconnect, hfplayer, gofigure quick play, mpdluxe. The usual app suspects. Ak connect is plain, but it is a great player because it has tidal.

So one would configure some playlists using 8Player or any of the others and Quick Player will detect them on the sd allowing you to choose them without opening the DLNA player (8Player) making it a bit quicker to access, are you saying they have better quality too?

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #11,098 of 18,821
I also find MPDeluxe a great app, its very good at quickly reestablishing the connection between phone and poly for quickly changing albums in work (where i can't be seen to be always poking these devices!)

I actually prefer MPDeluxe, the only issue i can see with it, is the Back button is very close to the IOS back (kinda) button in the top left, and the button is tiny.

But for just playback on sd card, via poly hotspot, I prefer MPDeluxe, maybe because I liked a bit of skank in the past.

I haven't' actually tried Glider in a while, because the flakeyness (multiple poly showing up) when reconnecting poly to phone was always slowing me down.

Another reason i prefer MPDeluxe is that, it only plays music via the poly, so theres no potential of playing the music out of your phone speaker. In work, the last thing I'd want is for others to hear the mental stuff I'm listening too. I find with Glider its possible to do this and i never want to do this.

MPDluxe, it works but it bare bones and as you say the icon/buttons are close to each other and small. The thing I don’t like about it is that it as far as I am aware, it has to use playlists to work. In order for you to be able to listen to songs, you have to create a playlist first. I may be wrong but the little time that I had using it, lead me in that direction. I also remember trying to add about 4000 songs to a playlist and it locked up the app, upon restart it would auto lock up again. It had to be uninstalled in order to get rid of the crash loop.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #11,099 of 18,821
Yeah, Joe is cool.

Thanks!

I would love glider to have a specific “renderer” option for us to choose so that we know we are using the best quality available. The first thing I do when I open AKConnect and 8player is select renderer. I think it would be good if glider had that.

If I understand you correctly, Glider does currently provide this feature. If you navigate to the Glider settings and disable the 'Consolidate Outputs' option, then you should see three outputs for your Poly in the output selector: one for UPnP, another for MPD, and another for AirPlay (under '... More Devices').

This is actually an issue with the Poly firmware changing the unique identifier of the media server over time, but we put in a workaround fix for this back in March of this year. If you're still seeing duplicate entries after a delete and re-install of Glider from the App Store then please let me know.

Don't try to use AIFF files with an iPhone in a Poly/Mojo set up. They are not recognized by 8Player and Glider does not show metadata properly.

The problem here is that the Poly's UPnP media server does not currently support AIFF files, but the MPD server does (though without any metadata).

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #11,100 of 18,821
So one would configure some playlists using 8Player or any of the others and Quick Player will detect them on the sd allowing you to choose them without opening the DLNA player (8Player) making it a bit quicker to access, are you saying they have better quality too?

I made playlists via cantata and uploaded them to the sd card.

The playlists show as “Playlist name” not “Playlist name.m3u”.

In order for the playlists to not show the .m3u extension, you have to upload them to the sd, whilst poly is on, and once done, never take the sd card out of it’s slot, as putting it back in will refresh the database, the same with the refresh option in gofigure, plus any reset options.

Thats only if you want to keep your playlists from looking weird and having that .m3u extension being visible.

Anyway, sd card playback, I have to admit it, sd card playback via gofigures quick play option, its the best way to play sd card content. At times I have been stunned by the sound quality. Maybe the others are just as good, but I haven’t noticed it yet. So it’s quick play for me when listening to the sd card.

I presume chord will upgrade quick player when the android beta is finished with, and when poly gets a new firmware update and gofigure itself gets updated, as per john’s post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back