Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #9,901 of 18,864
Hi,

I am able to use Poly with BT, Airplay, DLNA with Glider (even though ALAC files are not working, and no, I didn't buy the files from iTunes, I ripped them from CDs). I will try today Roon but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

So BT and wifi connections are working fine. What it's driving me crazy is that even I tried three times today to do the idiotic 45 minutes update, the gofigure app is still not finding my poly, even if I connect it with BT. The other thing that is driving me crazy is the lack of ALAC usability as most of my music is in that format. I was told here that maybe that is a firmware update issue so, I'm kind of lost that I can't even know which SW version I'm in. Sounds like I need support from Chord directly. Any member here that works for Chord that you guys can recommend me?

Thanks for your reply!

Norm

You can begin an email support discussion via this page and the best member (from Chord) for advice is probably @Matt Bartlett - all your issues probably stem from the lack of latest firmware.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #9,902 of 18,864
I have the random drop out problem sometimes, when doing AirPlay (read: wifi) streaming. I think this has to do with the weak signals of the Poly, maybe due to concerns with battery life. Whenever I walk past busy subway stations, I can expect dropouts at the exact same spots everyday, so I know this is an interference issue due to external factors. I may even suspect the subway operators have purposely put cell phone or wifi jammers there to discourage people from loitering in those busy areas - but that's just my suspicion. Anyway, despite the fact that 2.4GHz signals would say the wavelengths should be a few feet, it actually helps when your iPhone/iPod is as close to the Poly as possible. I found that if I put my MP in my briefcase and iPod in my pants pocket, the dropouts are worse than if I put both in the same bag close to each other. This is repeatable everyday now I walk through the same stations.

But the problem with the iPhone is, it is going to cause a different kind of humming noise to the Mojo itself instead when it is too close due to the LTE antennas, so another reason for the iPod Touch because it has no such problems and can be as close to the MP as possible for the best resistence to externally caused interference and dropouts.
My problem with this is that Mojo/Poly was advertised as turning your mobile phone into a high quality Hi-Res audio player, and that's how I want to use it. I can't stomach the idea of carrying yet another device around with me. The MojoPoly brick is bad enough - esp as we head into summer!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #9,904 of 18,864
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #9,905 of 18,864
I have the random drop out problem sometimes, when doing AirPlay (read: wifi) streaming. I think this has to do with the weak signals of the Poly, maybe due to concerns with battery life. Whenever I walk past busy subway stations, I can expect dropouts at the exact same spots everyday, so I know this is an interference issue due to external factors. I may even suspect the subway operators have purposely put cell phone or wifi jammers there to discourage people from loitering in those busy areas - but that's just my suspicion. Anyway, despite the fact that 2.4GHz signals would say the wavelengths should be a few feet, it actually helps when your iPhone/iPod is as close to the Poly as possible. I found that if I put my MP in my briefcase and iPod in my pants pocket, the dropouts are worse than if I put both in the same bag close to each other. This is repeatable everyday now I walk through the same stations.

But the problem with the iPhone is, it is going to cause a different kind of humming noise to the Mojo itself instead when it is too close due to the LTE antennas, so another reason for the iPod Touch because it has no such problems and can be as close to the MP as possible for the best resistence to externally caused interference and dropouts.

I suffer from exactly the same problems. Busier areas cause interference and dropouts. And it's the same places each day, I agree.
I don't really think this is the fault of the Poly though, I think it's an inherent failure in the iPhone wifi management and airplay. I recently boarded a train with my phone connected to my Poly's hotspot and my phone reconnected to the wifi on the train on the next platform, stopping all music.

Once Airplay has lost it's connection it's often the case that I'll need to restart any music apps on the phone, restart the poly, and change my output back to the phone before reconnecting it. It's the only way I can be sure it'll connect again. Otherwise I spend ages watching the phone trying to connect to an AirPlay target that's not actually there.

I'm hoping that Chord will introduce the ability to hide the SSID of the poly as I suspect that when other people's devices are scanning the air for networks to connect to, that could be interfering with the signal. Hiding it might help and shouldn't be too hard for the devs to implement (after go figure android, of course)

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #9,906 of 18,864
I know, but the solution offered suggested that it was easy and universal - and it's not.

Yup, I hear you. I empathise with you android users, we're approaching a month overdue for the Android app and the Poly is very hard to use without it.
One positive is that you have the benefit of the iPhone users being early beta testers. The "month after iOS" launch date was based on the same app being translated and released. Now that issues have been reported by all the initial Apple users, I would hope that they're being fixed before the first release of the Android app. I suspect that when the Android app is released we'll also get a new firmware and an updated iOS app.

We'll see.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #9,907 of 18,864
I suffer from exactly the same problems. Busier areas cause interference and dropouts. And it's the same places each day, I agree.
I don't really think this is the fault of the Poly though, I think it's an inherent failure in the iPhone wifi management and airplay. I recently boarded a train with my phone connected to my Poly's hotspot and my phone reconnected to the wifi on the train on the next platform, stopping all music.

Once Airplay has lost it's connection it's often the case that I'll need to restart any music apps on the phone, restart the poly, and change my output back to the phone before reconnecting it. It's the only way I can be sure it'll connect again. Otherwise I spend ages watching the phone trying to connect to an AirPlay target that's not actually there.

I'm hoping that Chord will introduce the ability to hide the SSID of the poly as I suspect that when other people's devices are scanning the air for networks to connect to, that could be interfering with the signal. Hiding it might help and shouldn't be too hard for the devs to implement (after go figure android, of course)

I think your assessment is fair. That could be the issue, or it might not be, but at least it's a reasonable and educated guess.

While there are some who are saying they have no dropouts, packet drops, ticks, bits of static, etc., I think enough people are experiencing it that it's becoming clear that total BT control would be ideal.

Of course, these are current problems.

I have a distinct feeling that Chord is aware of this and working with internal and outsourced (or OEM'd) developers to try and improve the situation for
- future software upgrades to GoFigure (iOS)
- incorporating improvements into GoFigure (Android) before release)
- possible firmware updates for the Poly
- thinking of any software and firmware changes they should make to 2Go before release

There are good, smart folks at Chord, an their previous products are proof of their commitment to excellence. So, despite some folks at Chord who might be disheartened by the ongoing responses to Poly and GoFigure (which percentage-wise, likely consists of a more claims than for their other products), I think they listened and are adjusting.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #9,908 of 18,864
I think your assessment is fair. That could be the issue, or it might not be, but at least it's a reasonable and educated guess.

While there are some who are saying they have no dropouts, packet drops, ticks, bits of static, etc., I think enough people are experiencing it that it's becoming clear that total BT control would be ideal.

I have a distinct feeling that Chord is aware of this and working with internal and outsourced (or OEM'd) developers to try and improve the situation for
- thinking of any software and firmware changes they should make to 2Go before release

There are good, smart folks at Chord, an their previous products are proof of their commitment to excellence. So, despite some folks at Chord who might be disheartened by the ongoing responses to Poly and GoFigure (which percentage-wise, likely consists of a more claims than for their other products), I think they listened and are adjusting.

Chord is very clearly good at making hardware, maybe not so good at software, especially because they arent even writing the software themselves and have contracted out for it. What I do not know though is whether or not the hardware in this particular case is part of the issue.

And as much as I want BT control to be standard, I doubt its going to happen. Chord has clearly tried to follow industry standards (dlna and mpd) and as far as I know, there is no standard to control MPD via bluetooth. That means we will never see a third party app for it, unless chord releases some kind of api or developers guide to hook into some internal stuff, and even then it would require a third party app to be written for this one very specific purpose. Of course, there is no api or developer guide, only the couple standards available that require a network connection. Though for a device that relies on third party software and certain standards to work, its kind of disappointingly locked down.

On top of that, if it has taken chord this long to get the gofigure app out, I cant imagine how long it would take for them to build a fully fledged media player application. Unless they have their software guys working on something else behind the scenes too... but then why take even more time away from an app that is already 7 months delayed since release, and will be at least a month or two delayed behind its iOS counterpart. Not to mention there are still features in the manual that done exist (spotify use) and other features that have been promised (google cast) that we have not heard anything about for months.

I remain hopeful that they will be able to turn this product into what it should have been, but for a combined 1100+ dollars, there are just too many use cases that this thing still doesnt cover. Chord definitely has a reputation to uphold, but this is clearly not their area of expertise and I feel like maybe they got in a little over their heads with this one (even though they will claim it works perfectly).

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #9,909 of 18,864
Chord is very clearly good at making hardware, maybe not so good at software, especially because they arent even writing the software themselves and have contracted out for it. What I do not know though is whether or not the hardware in this particular case is part of the issue.

And as much as I want BT control to be standard, I doubt its going to happen. Chord has clearly tried to follow industry standards (dlna and mpd) and as far as I know, there is no standard to control MPD via bluetooth. That means we will never see a third party app for it, unless chord releases some kind of api or developers guide to hook into some internal stuff, and even then it would require a third party app to be written for this one very specific purpose. Of course, there is no api or developer guide, only the couple standards available that require a network connection. Though for a device that relies on third party software and certain standards to work, its kind of disappointingly locked down.

On top of that, if it has taken chord this long to get the gofigure app out, I cant imagine how long it would take for them to build a fully fledged media player application. Unless they have their software guys working on something else behind the scenes too... but then why take even more time away from an app that is already 7 months delayed since release, and will be at least a month or two delayed behind its iOS counterpart. Not to mention there are still features in the manual that done exist (spotify use) and other features that have been promised (google cast) that we have not heard anything about for months.

I remain hopeful that they will be able to turn this product into what it should have been, but for a combined 1100+ dollars, there are just too many use cases that this thing still doesnt cover. Chord definitely has a reputation to uphold, but this is clearly not their area of expertise and I feel like maybe they got in a little over their heads with this one (even though they will claim it works perfectly).

I very reasonable conclusion. And I would agree.

Still, since GoFigure can already access playlists, it is possible, maybe, that future updates will give, little by little, more access via GoFigure without the need for WiFi.

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #9,910 of 18,864

I'm basing my assessment on the fact that I used to really struggle with airplay even within my house using old airport expresses. It's improved, but it's still not excellent. Hopefully an upgrade to Airplay 2 will come along soon now it's been released, that should help stabilise things.

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #9,911 of 18,864
I don't think I understand what you're trying to do.
If you want to have your phone connected to the wifi and control the playback of files on the SD card in the poly, you can. Use quick play within the goFigure app and playlists (you'll need to set the playlists up in advance, though).
Thanks, but unfortunately I have a 420GB SD card with hundreds of albums on it, so the QP/playlist doesn't really give me the flexibility of control I need. (Not to mention how fiddly it is to make playlists on the Poly—even with Cantata it's pretty clunky).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #9,912 of 18,864
Thanks, but unfortunately I have a 420GB SD card with hundreds of albums on it, so the QP/playlist doesn't really give me the flexibility of control I need. (Not to mention how fiddly it is to make playlists on the Poly—even with Cantata it's pretty clunky).

I think I saw something about Glider having a “make playlist for each album” option, but that might have been a TestFlight thing.

@JeremyLaurenson is that right?
(I hope I have the right person there)

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #9,913 of 18,864
I think I saw something about Glider having a “make playlist for each album” option, but that might have been a TestFlight thing.

@JeremyLaurenson is that right?
(I hope I have the right person there)
This was Dapper app for Mac which can auto create playlists
@joe28 can fill you in on Glider functionality.

I’m sad to see it’s basically status quo here, but happy I made the right choice for me and enjoying my music on the new Dap.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #9,914 of 18,864

I’m sad to see it’s basically status quo here, but happy I made the right choice for me and enjoying my music on the new Dap.

Cheers, Jeremy!

Yes, status quo. I do want to say, for me, that means Poly works very well for my use cases: Roon mode at home, iPhone hybrid hot spot when at work, and Poly hotspot when I’m on a plane or have no internet. I get occasional drop outs, but overall it’s better than a cable connection and phone interference.

I will say that GoFigure helps a lot, but overall, I feel Poly’s design was “too clever by half”as they say. A simple on/off switch and a 3 position slider (Roon/hotspot/DLNA) for mode would have been far easier in retrospect.

I hope the Android version is released soon to bring joy to the rest of the Poly users.

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #9,915 of 18,864
Hey all,

Last post here - I traded the MojoPoly. Best of luck to you all - the wiki will remain open while there is activity, so please feel free to sign up to contribute and help reach other out.

EOT

J

You don’t need to be sad: Lots of enjoyment of Poly is ongoing.

Your video contributions have been very helpful to many of us and we’re grateful for them.
Even the close up shots & detail made things easier for viewers. They’re well produced and my wife’s ease of use came from them.

We still benefit from your contributions, including hybrid explanation.

The thread’s positive energy has been so much better over time.

The android will make it out likely without the bugs, and perhaps we’ll have Christmas with 2Go.

I appreciate your contribution. No need to feel sadness.

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back