Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jun 7, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #9,886 of 18,863
So, it's been a minute since this topic was thrown up.

Is anyone using Oppo PM-3 or Campfire Cascade with the MP?
Curious what folks are using.

I'm using the PM-3 with the MojoPoly - loving the synergy :) sometimes I swap out the PM-3 with the B&W P7, Audioquest NightHawk and the Kennerton Vali Massdrop Edition and they all sound great with the MojoPoly.

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #9,889 of 18,863
Hi Norman!

I think your issue related to the Poly firmware which needs to be at level 1.0.26 for GoFigure. The following link has details of how to do the firmware upgrade WITHOUT GoFigure access. Note - I had to do the update multiple times on my Poly going up 1 step at a time until 1.0.26 was achieved ... they may have fixed that by now. Once at 1.0.26 GoFigure should see the device.
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/news/updating-poly-to-enable-gofigure-app-control/

Hope that helps! ... of course once you get GoFigure working you are in for a whole other world of issues :wink:

Ade
Thanks for your kind reply. I must say I'm puzzled about the upgrade part of the equation. Why? Because I am unable to know which version I'm currently in. I have no idea if I'm version 10, 26 or banana. So this makes me very frustrated because I don't even know if the 45 minutes upgrade per version is being done or not. It's dumb if there is 5 or 10 versions I have to climb one by one, almost an hour per each, that would mean I need 10 hours to get to the latest firmware! And I complained about windows 10's upgrade time hahaha. But we'll, I'm here to try to figure this out.

Why I cannot see which version I'm in? Because the Hotspot models login page is no longer saying which version you are in. There only the poly name the ssid the password and Roon, or other mode (I always choose other mode). And more item, there is one that says "update mode only".

Should I use that mode until I get the 26 version in 10 hours from now?

Thank you so much for hanging in here with me. Poly is amazing!

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #9,890 of 18,863
I feel is the firmware not update to the latest version....it's frustrating when i got my poly too
Seriously u need to manually configure SSID and password to connect it your router network.
Poly status will show solid blue led light...mean already connect to network
As the poly will auto search for updated firmware just leave it aside and time yourself 20 mins.
Then power off...make sure poly light completely turn off.
Then power on again and leave it aside for 20 mins again...then power off again.
Now restart your poly and use Gofigure app try to search for poly

I remember i almost throw my poly out of my window when i keep failing initially
be patience and u will succeed

Thanks!

I did it two times yesterday but nothing happens. I cannot even see the firmware version I'm currently in. The problem is that the Hotspot login page is not telling me the firmware version.

I am seriously considering drowning it in water to watch it slowly die!

Should I sing to it? Talk to it nice? Make voodoo to it? Gosh, the lack of firmware info in my case is killing me. If I have to do the upgrade process ten times is ok, I just want to know I have progress!

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #9,891 of 18,863
For those of you who are always struggling with connectivity options/problems with the MojoPoly, and whether to use your iPhone's hotspot, the MP's hotspot, hybrid mode, AirPlay versus music on the mSD card, Glider versus other MPD apps, my solution is to simply buy an iPod Touch, either store your music on it and stream via AirPlay (e.g. if most of your music is 44.1/16 RBCD) or store your music on the mSD card (if your music library has a good amount of content in hi-res or DSD) then use the Glider app. You set your MP to use its own Hotspot mode and your iPod Touch would become the control hub with the best touch-based control interface compared to any other dedicated DAP out there, the exact same feel as your iPhone/iOS device. Then your iPhone will just be limited to doing it's smart phone related duties. When you travel abroad, there is no need to cater to or worry about roaming with your MP and whether streaming music locally stored on the iPod will incur roaming charges, because you'd still be using your MP's hotspot. Any data usage is on your discretion limited to what's used on your phone.

Of course, I am not a subscriber of Tidal, Apple Music or other online streaming services, as I'm talking strictly about music you own and can download to your iPod without needing internet access to play, and music files you can copy to a mSD card.

This is essentially what I do. An old iPhone 6, with no carrier connectivity, and only music related apps (gofigure, hiby, glider, 8 player, some streaming apps). And then accessing MP via MP's hotspot mode or using gofigure's quickplay for BT control (Primarily the latter)

You may be having much better luck with using the MP's hotspot mode than I am. I get constant skips from packet drops. (This is not the "every 6 seconds tick from MP searching for wifi hotspot" issue). I have long suspected that this was because of a generally low quality wifi AP chipset in the Poly, but if no one else has that problem, maybe my poly has another issue (latest firmware, so that's not the issue).

Anyway, right now, it doesn't bother me too much. I just spend a lot of time in Cantata adjusting my playlists, lol.

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #9,892 of 18,863
Thanks!

I did it two times yesterday but nothing happens. I cannot even see the firmware version I'm currently in. The problem is that the Hotspot login page is not telling me the firmware version.

I am seriously considering drowning it in water to watch it slowly die!

Should I sing to it? Talk to it nice? Make voodoo to it? Gosh, the lack of firmware info in my case is killing me. If I have to do the upgrade process ten times is ok, I just want to know I have progress!

If in hotspot mode you cannot see the firmware version you likely have an old one. Next are you connecting Poly to an internet enabled network - it needs to be able to check for firmware updates when in network mode. The older firmware was a little fussy about certain characters in the Wi-Fi settings so , if you can, make the names simple. If Poly and your phone are connected to the same network you should be able to see Poly using a DLNA player such as Glider to confirm Poly is on the network.

I would be a bit dubious about needing to upgrade a version at a time, have Chord said that! Mine has jumped a few, which is what I would expect.

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #9,893 of 18,863
If in hotspot mode you cannot see the firmware version you likely have an old one. Next are you connecting Poly to an internet enabled network - it needs to be able to check for firmware updates when in network mode. The older firmware was a little fussy about certain characters in the Wi-Fi settings so , if you can, make the names simple. If Poly and your phone are connected to the same network you should be able to see Poly using a DLNA player such as Glider to confirm Poly is on the network.

I would be a bit dubious about needing to upgrade a version at a time, have Chord said that! Mine has jumped a few, which is what I would expect.
Hi,

I am able to use Poly with BT, Airplay, DLNA with Glider (even though ALAC files are not working, and no, I didn't buy the files from iTunes, I ripped them from CDs). I will try today Roon but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

So BT and wifi connections are working fine. What it's driving me crazy is that even I tried three times today to do the idiotic 45 minutes update, the gofigure app is still not finding my poly, even if I connect it with BT. The other thing that is driving me crazy is the lack of ALAC usability as most of my music is in that format. I was told here that maybe that is a firmware update issue so, I'm kind of lost that I can't even know which SW version I'm in. Sounds like I need support from Chord directly. Any member here that works for Chord that you guys can recommend me?

Thanks for your reply!

Norm

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #9,894 of 18,863
It got worse

I just tried the Roon mode (from the web page login) and it doesn't work at all.

One more problem added to my Poly. I just hope is not a defective one.

Attachments

• C7271E8C-EF1F-486A-AB79-10F905BEAA2F.png
    C7271E8C-EF1F-486A-AB79-10F905BEAA2F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 7, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #9,895 of 18,863
I totally agree. Forgive me if this has already been said many, many times over on this thread but surely I'm not the only person who primarily purchased Poly to play hi-res files from the SD card... if there is the opportunity to stream as well when I have a good wifi connection (and without losing wifi connectivity on my phone) then that's a bonus.

The fact that 7 months after getting Poly it still can't simply push files from the SD card slot to Mojo via a Bluetooth issued control is unbelievable.

IMHO the whole control element should be Bluetooth based. Then IF there is a wifi signal Poly can access, that should be used just that for the streaming element.

I had a huge amount of respect for Chord and their products but I think they have seriously dropped the ball with the software surrounding Poly.
Agree. Bluetooth control is the only way to go. Writing this from an airport lounge with free WiFi and a weak LTE signal. I can either control my Mojopoly or surf the web, but not both. Such an obvious use case...

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #9,896 of 18,863
Agree. Bluetooth control is the only way to go. Writing this from an airport lounge with free WiFi and a weak LTE signal. I can either control my Mojopoly or surf the web, but not both. Such an obvious use case...

I don't think I understand what you're trying to do.
If you want to have your phone connected to the wifi and control the playback of files on the SD card in the poly, you can. Use quick play within the goFigure app and playlists (you'll need to set the playlists up in advance, though).

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #9,897 of 18,863
I don't think I understand what you're trying to do.
If you want to have your phone connected to the wifi and control the playback of files on the SD card in the poly, you can. Use quick play within the goFigure app and playlists (you'll need to set the playlists up in advance, though).
And what if you don't have an iPhone?

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #9,898 of 18,863
For those of you who are always struggling with connectivity options/problems with the MojoPoly, and whether to use your iPhone's hotspot, the MP's hotspot, hybrid mode, AirPlay versus music on the mSD card, Glider versus other MPD apps, my solution is to simply buy an iPod Touch, either store your music on it and stream via AirPlay (e.g. if most of your music is 44.1/16 RBCD) or store your music on the mSD card (if your music library has a good amount of content in hi-res or DSD) then use the Glider app. You set your MP to use its own Hotspot mode and your iPod Touch would become the control hub with the best touch-based control interface compared to any other dedicated DAP out there, the exact same feel as your iPhone/iOS device. Then your iPhone will just be limited to doing it's smart phone related duties. When you travel abroad, there is no need to cater to or worry about roaming with your MP and whether streaming music locally stored on the iPod will incur roaming charges, because you'd still be using your MP's hotspot. Any data usage is on your discretion limited to what's used on your phone.

Of course, I am not a subscriber of Tidal, Apple Music or other online streaming services, as I'm talking strictly about music you own and can download to your iPod without needing internet access to play, and music files you can copy to a mSD card.

totally agree.. this works as with my iphone6, too. in my setup, i use downloaded spotify music > chord M-P in hotspot mode, music played thru airplay. the iPhone becomes the control for the music. but with music stored in the micro SD card inserted to the Poly, i use the android app M. A. L. P. no hassle at all. thru my note8's hotspot, i can create playlists that can be read and recognized by the gofigure app on the iPhone. although, with M. A. L. P. alone, there is no need for the gofigure app. playlists ang the NOW PLAYING QUEUE can be tinkered with flawlessly. when in a foreign country where data rates apply, there is no problem with the note8 as i can activate the hotspot without data usage. for downloaded music, i use my DAP (700GB music files) connected thru my phone's hotspot. though streaming gets interrupted at times, im still enjoying listening to my music library on the go. hope this helps. :L3000:

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #9,899 of 18,863
You may be having much better luck with using the MP's hotspot mode than I am. I get constant skips from packet drops. (This is not the "every 6 seconds tick from MP searching for wifi hotspot" issue). I have long suspected that this was because of a generally low quality wifi AP chipset in the Poly, but if no one else has that problem, maybe my poly has another issue (latest firmware, so that's not the issue).

I have the random drop out problem sometimes, when doing AirPlay (read: wifi) streaming. I think this has to do with the weak signals of the Poly, maybe due to concerns with battery life. Whenever I walk past busy subway stations, I can expect dropouts at the exact same spots everyday, so I know this is an interference issue due to external factors. I may even suspect the subway operators have purposely put cell phone or wifi jammers there to discourage people from loitering in those busy areas - but that's just my suspicion. Anyway, despite the fact that 2.4GHz signals would say the wavelengths should be a few feet, it actually helps when your iPhone/iPod is as close to the Poly as possible. I found that if I put my MP in my briefcase and iPod in my pants pocket, the dropouts are worse than if I put both in the same bag close to each other. This is repeatable everyday now I walk through the same stations.

But the problem with the iPhone is, it is going to cause a different kind of humming noise to the Mojo itself instead when it is too close due to the LTE antennas, so another reason for the iPod Touch because it has no such problems and can be as close to the MP as possible for the best resistence to externally caused interference and dropouts.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #9,900 of 18,863
I have the random drop out problem sometimes, when doing AirPlay (read: wifi) streaming. I think this has to do with the weak signals of the Poly, maybe due to concerns with battery life. Whenever I walk past busy subway stations, I can expect dropouts at the exact same spots everyday, so I know this is an interference issue due to external factors. I may even suspect the subway operators have purposely put cell phone or wifi jammers there to discourage people from loitering in those busy areas - but that's just my suspicion. Anyway, despite the fact that 2.4GHz signals would say the wavelengths should be a few feet, it actually helps when your iPhone/iPod is as close to the Poly as possible. I found that if I put my MP in my briefcase and iPod in my pants pocket, the dropouts are worse than if I put both in the same bag close to each other. This is repeatable everyday now I walk through the same stations.

But the problem with the iPhone is, it is going to cause a different kind of humming noise to the Mojo itself instead when it is too close due to the LTE antennas, so another reason for the iPod Touch because it has no such problems and can be as close to the MP as possible for the best resistence to externally caused interference and dropouts.

I use Mojopoly with my iPhone X most of the time. 99% of that is done during my morning/evening commute.

I don’t experience any dropouts/interference whatsoever (I use my mobile’s hotspot);

You may want to look into what else could be causing this behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back