Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 12, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #8,881 of 18,757
I will double check but I believe the Apple watch needs WiFi to control the audio. Some DLNA apps including Glider already allow you to control the audio via the Apple watch and see what is playing and control the volume.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #8,882 of 18,757
I will double check but I believe the Apple watch needs WiFi to control the audio. Some DLNA apps including Glider already allow you to control the audio via the Apple watch and see what is playing and control the volume.
True, I already use that functionality with Glider...
I'm thinking of a user scenario where taking a flight and being in flight mode (airplane mode) and still being able to control via the Apple Watch using BLE instead of wifi if this is technically possible.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #8,883 of 18,757
Is it possible to connect the Mojo/Poly to a Mac or iPhone and send music out via AirPlay to an AirPlay enabled speaker?

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,884 of 18,757
Is it possible to connect the Mojo/Poly to a Mac or iPhone and send music out via AirPlay to an AirPlay enabled speaker?
I believe so, you can use Glider on your iPhone to access the Poly's mSD card and send the music to any airplay device provided that both airplay device, Poly and your iPhone are on the same wifi network.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #8,885 of 18,757
I believe so, you can use Glider on your iPhone to access the Poly's mSD card and send the music to any airplay device provided that both airplay device, Poly and your iPhone are on the same wifi network.

Thank you. Sounds like I need do more research.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #8,886 of 18,757
Thanks much for the note...

The Poly-enabled-with-Album-Playlists version isn't on the App Store yet.... Is in with Apple for approval. Lets see how long it takes.

I have to day, I thought you all were madmen for wanting to make a playlist-per-album. I have to admit it works well - I just have the playlist as a smart playlist with the last 750 tracks and it works great... :)

After this next release I'll be adding in some speed optimizations too.
Great! Please let us know when it’s been posted to the Mac App Store.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #8,888 of 18,757
Ok it looks like you might have connected to Airplay on your phone. If the phone still has Airplay selected then it may automatically try and connect even if Poly is no longer available
and switched off and then this locks out MPD/DLNA playback from working. So try playing music directly to the iPhone speaker through Glider first. If this works then go back and try and select ChordPlayer with the Poly icon in Glider to see what happens.

I selected the iPhone icon, played a track and then went into More Devices and selected the ChordPlayer (Poly icon). Glider loaded for 16 seconds and then neither was selected:
IMG_0019.PNG

I then selected ChordPlayer (Poly icon), another 16 seconds lapsed with the same results. Alternatively, if I go to More Devices, the iPhone is selected:
IMG_0020.PNG

I then select ChordPlayer (speaker icon) and the Poly successfully plays but I think that is exclusively AirPlay - no hi-res, etc. Sometimes the ChordPlayer (Poly icon) is there. Other times, it is not.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    733.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #8,889 of 18,757
I finally got round to playing with MojoPoly. I bought them last weekend and I wanted to wait for the app to drop to really try things out.

First, I'm in agreement with most others, the GoFigure app makes the device much, much more usable. Having the visibility on what's going on clarifies things greatly. Thanks for that. I only used the pin for an hour or so but this is much better.

Most of the modes make sense to me. Hotspot mode (either way around) work with glider, and as a Spotify connect target over airplay (confirmed by turning the bluetooth off on my phone). I can also use it as a DLNA target from JRiver on mac or PC and I'm streaming DSD files now. I had to look up the slightly pink light issue to make sure I'm getting full bitrate, but I believe I am.

I assume that the Bluetooth/airplane mode is just for use when you shouldn't be using wifi, like on a plane.

One thing I noticed is that my MojoPoly (specifically the Mojo) seems to be very susceptible to electrical interference. I got very upset as I thought that the Poly was being very noisy with lots of static noise. Through testing I narrowed it down to the Mojo, but I noticed that if I moved my phone away from the Mojo, the noise lessened and went away. I tried it on wifi, hotspot, and with and without bluetooth enabled on the phone and there was no discernible difference or pattern. I wonder if anyone else has that issue? If anyone has an issue with background noise, which I think I read earlier in the thread, you might want to try moving your phone away from the MojoPoly.

With Glider I too am having issues with connecting over multiple methods: using the speaker icon or the poly icon. When switching between them I sometimes need to switch multiple times or quit and re-open the app before it'll connect. Once connected it's fine, but then switching again can cause issues. I haven't found a consistent pattern yet. If you want help debugging or testing a beta, let me know, I'll gladly install and report issues. I've worked as a QA for software engineers, so I'm able to give decent feedback.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #8,890 of 18,757
I finally got round to playing with MojoPoly. I bought them last weekend and I wanted to wait for the app to drop to really try things out.

First, I'm in agreement with most others, the GoFigure app makes the device much, much more usable. Having the visibility on what's going on clarifies things greatly. Thanks for that. I only used the pin for an hour or so but this is much better.

Most of the modes make sense to me. Hotspot mode (either way around) work with glider, and as a Spotify connect target over airplay (confirmed by turning the bluetooth off on my phone). I can also use it as a DLNA target from JRiver on mac or PC and I'm streaming DSD files now. I had to look up the slightly pink light issue to make sure I'm getting full bitrate, but I believe I am.

I assume that the Bluetooth/airplane mode is just for use when you shouldn't be using wifi, like on a plane.

One thing I noticed is that my MojoPoly (specifically the Mojo) seems to be very susceptible to electrical interference. I got very upset as I thought that the Poly was being very noisy with lots of static noise. Through testing I narrowed it down to the Mojo, but I noticed that if I moved my phone away from the Mojo, the noise lessened and went away. I tried it on wifi, hotspot, and with and without bluetooth enabled on the phone and there was no discernible difference or pattern. I wonder if anyone else has that issue? If anyone has an issue with background noise, which I think I read earlier in the thread, you might want to try moving your phone away from the MojoPoly.

With Glider I too am having issues with connecting over multiple methods: using the speaker icon or the poly icon. When switching between them I sometimes need to switch multiple times or quit and re-open the app before it'll connect. Once connected it's fine, but then switching again can cause issues. I haven't found a consistent pattern yet. If you want help debugging or testing a beta, let me know, I'll gladly install and report issues. I've worked as a QA for software engineers, so I'm able to give decent feedback.

Susceptibility to noise from proximity to some phones is a known issue with the Mojo. Before the Poly those affected were sometimes advised to put their phone in one pocket and their Mojo in another with a suitable cable between them, or to put a metal plate between the phone and the Mojo. Possibly one of the motives for Chord to develop the Poly was to facilitate separating phones and Mojos.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #8,891 of 18,757
The issue with RFI was well documented in the Mojo thread.
Some brands of phone, especially some iPhones were repeat offenders, whilst other phones were virtually immune.
The phone signal strength depends on several factors, including the physical phone itself, the band used by the phone company, the distance between the phone and the cell tower etc, so not all users found the same phone model always troublesome.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #8,892 of 18,757
Well that explains that then! Apologies, I didn't read through the Mojo thread very thoroughly. Prior to testing I assumed that any issues I had would be with the Poly as that's where most of the complexity lies. Thinking about that now I can see that's not true at all. While the Poly is wireless and has interfaces, there must be an awful lot of processing going on in the Mojo as well, it's just hidden from the user.

After testing and confirming that it was indeed the Mojo, I didn't think to go through the thread to see if it was common, I just noted that I hadn't seen it here. Thanks.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #8,893 of 18,757
With Glider I too am having issues with connecting over multiple methods: using the speaker icon or the poly icon. When switching between them I sometimes need to switch multiple times or quit and re-open the app before it'll connect. Once connected it's fine, but then switching again can cause issues. I haven't found a consistent pattern yet. If you want help debugging or testing a beta, let me know, I'll gladly install and report issues. I've worked as a QA for software engineers, so I'm able to give decent feedback

If you use Glider to switch directly from the Poly's AirPlay output to the Poly's MPD output, then I don't believe the Poly will fully disconnect from AirPlay and will not respond to the subsequent MPD commands Glider is sending. You should first select your iPhone under 'More Devices' before selecting the Poly's MPD output to avoid any trouble like this.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #8,894 of 18,757
If you use Glider to switch directly from the Poly's AirPlay output to the Poly's MPD output, then I don't believe the Poly will fully disconnect from AirPlay and will not respond to the subsequent MPD commands Glider is sending. You should first select your iPhone under 'More Devices' before selecting the Poly's MPD output to avoid any trouble like this.

I just tried exactly that and it works consistently as you describe.

Are there known issues with skipping tracks when connected via MPD? I can select individual tracks fine, and I can move around within tracks with only a small pause. Skipping back to the beginning of a track works too.

Skipping back and then back again changes the name of the previous track, but just plays the current track from the beginning. Skipping forward causes the next track name to display but no music to play. Eventually the app gives up and moves to a paused state. Pressing play starts the current track (it didn't skip forward) from the beginning. In both instances the Poly connected indicator spins for 10 seconds (looks like a timeout?). After skipping forward, the back and forward buttons are no longer available until choosing another track.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #8,895 of 18,757
Well that explains that then! Apologies, I didn't read through the Mojo thread very thoroughly. Prior to testing I assumed that any issues I had would be with the Poly as that's where most of the complexity lies. Thinking about that now I can see that's not true at all. While the Poly is wireless and has interfaces, there must be an awful lot of processing going on in the Mojo as well, it's just hidden from the user.

After testing and confirming that it was indeed the Mojo, I didn't think to go through the thread to see if it was common, I just noted that I hadn't seen it here. Thanks.
No need to apologise, the 35000+ posts are a lot to read/digest, so many owners helped point out key information that @Mython incorporated into the FAQ in post#3.
One of the links is to this video, which will help explain the amount of internal processing performed by the Chord dacs.
@AndrewOld is right that removing the cable connection between phone and Mojo was a big driver, for the development of the Poly.
In the interim several solutions were found by owners to minimise the effects of RFI, including longer cables to maximise the physical separation between phone and Mojo, ferrite chokes on the USB cable, place a thin iron sheet inside the phone protective case, use optical connection etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back