Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #6,991 of 18,775
I wanted qutest but they never added a headphone amp, probably because it would compete with hugo.

I hate when companies do that, deliberatly remove a feature from one of their products so it doesnt compete with another one of their products.

Plus, qutest much cheaper

For 600 more, you get an amp and a couple of batteries, scam.

Right now Chord is not on my favorite list BUT I fail to see how that is a scam?

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #6,992 of 18,775
can we make two separate threads? one for people who are content and happy with their Poly and one for people who just want to whine incessantly?
No one can stop you starting a second thread, dedicated/populated by poly owners who are enjoying using their Polys.
The precedent has been set by the Mojo, where there is the official Chord mojo thread, and the Mojo issues thread (which nowadays only gets occasional posts).
That is effectively the reverse of the Poly situation, where this the official Cord poly thread is now just the poly issues thread, and there is a gap waiting to be filled by the happy poly users thread.
If you do create such a thread, spend some time thinking some of the details through first - such as reserve some of the posts on page 1 for a FAQ or similar, and presumably get feedback whether chord would be ok with potentially having to post update messages on both the Poly issues and Poly happy users threads.
:relaxed:

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #6,994 of 18,775
Is there a modern app that allows devices like poly to be fully controlled via Bluetooth - or is this an innovation?

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #6,996 of 18,775
I wanted qutest but they never added a headphone amp, probably because it would compete with hugo.

I hate when companies do that, deliberatly remove a feature from one of their products so it doesnt compete with another one of their products.

Plus, qutest much cheaper

For 600 more, you get an amp and a couple of batteries, scam.
Why is this a scam?

This is analogous to a car manufacturer producing a car model in a family of saloon version, plus an extended estate car version for owners who needed more internal space for carrying luggage or whatever.
Would you also proclaim this to be a scam, because the estate car version, costs more than the smaller basic saloon car version?

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #6,997 of 18,775
i can safely say i have zero dropouts with the SD card, ever. why don't you write Chord and get a replacement?
Because I've already had it replaced, and the exact same problems persist with a unit changed for different reasons. My use case and my other devices may differ from yours. It's also clear that others on this thread have similar problems to mine. That does rather suggest that there is a problem. All this, though, is distracting from the main issue today, which is that the app will not have the promised functionality.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #6,998 of 18,775
Because I've already had it replaced, and the exact same problems persist with a unit changed for different reasons. My use case and my other devices may differ from yours. It's also clear that others on this thread have similar problems to mine. That does rather suggest that there is a problem. All this, though, is distracting from the main issue today, which is that the app will not have the promised functionality.

To rule it out, have you also replaced the SD card?

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #6,999 of 18,775
Yes. As I've said, the problem is not with the SD card. The problem is with the operating system: it's clear that the various third-party apps available can't efficiently and reliably access and play from the SD card. Now that Chord have announced that they will not be offering this functionality with their own app, I think it's fair to say that the SD card function doesn't really work, even if some people are luckily able to get it to work.
To rule it out, have you also replaced the SD card?

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #7,000 of 18,775
Yes. As I've said, the problem is not with the SD card. The problem is with the operating system: it's clear that the various third-party apps available can't efficiently and reliably access and play from the SD card. Now that Chord have announced that they will not be offering this functionality with their own app, I think it's fair to say that the SD card function doesn't really work, even if some people are luckily able to get it to work.

yeah I guess I am just "lucky"... so much for troubleshooting!!!

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #7,001 of 18,775
You know, i guessed this would happen! .. I could see it comming even though i don't follow as close as many, it was depressing me tbh.
Nothing in particular, just the tone of this whole thread.
I think much of the problem arises from questions that have not been answered than the sparse, (relatively) information from Chord. You know, Chinese whispers type effect!
Now if this evolving incorrect (if it was) information was not stamped on at source it quickly becomes truth to many. ..... Who is to blame for that, I don't know tbh. Chord for not stamping on it if it was not true or the group for letting it evolve. IMO, Chord, because this effect is unavoidable in a large group unless it is stopped firmly in it's tracks!

I'm not having a go at Chord, it's something hard to predict, even if they knew it could happen, clarity is the only way to prevent it, just saying.

I think I read, correct me if I'm wrong, that folks would've of liked, or even believed, that the app would enable SD card play back without putting Poly into hotspot mode or having any wifi connection at all, (with phone in air-plane mode for wifi sensitive areas) with no other apps involved, just one dedicated Poly App.
That is, fire up the app, "bingo" SD card access and play back if your on top of a mountain or 300m below the surface of the ocean.
Also, be able to use your phone to make and receive calls at the same time (ok a bit difficult 300m down I know) but you get my drift.
Also #2, to be able to do all the above while connected to another wifi connection with your phone/pad, If needed. Wifi calling etc.

Now this is what I would like and said it / posted it, may be not quite like that but I'm not trawling back.

Is this possible with the app? .... If yes, for me personally that's great, stonking, superb! ..... :)
If not, no one has said "no way jose" ......

I'm' sure Chord can't watch every post, but if it is noticed and posted several times by several thread go'ers and Chord do not "stamp on it" then it can evolve and become, "that's what were getting" ..... Not wrong, even if it is, if that makes any sense! :) ..... It's just the way things happen when loads of humans are involved.

It makes absolutely no difference whether Chord posted a discription way back saying what the app will allow, if you don't correct a divergence from the truth it will evolve or devolve depending on your view.

Or is it all just politics, Chord "hedging their bets" to allow some wiggle room if things don't go quite to plan? An accepted political tactic by the way. ......... Or am I just talking through my butt! :) ha ha ha. ....... I say again, I'm not having a go at anyone just trying to get my head around what's happening.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #7,002 of 18,775

I beg to differ. How can you blame the OS when others, myself included, have zero issues with sd card playback?

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #7,003 of 18,775

I've had no dropout with the SD card using Glider. Sandisk Ultra 256GB.

Edit: If it helps, almost all ALAC files converted from AIFF CD rips. Card is about 90% full (~8000 tracks).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #7,004 of 18,775
I have two questions which may beanie so please tell me if I am wrong

1. Isn't the quality of the sound streaming by Bluetooth worse than the quality using wifi?
2. What DAPS allow control by bluetooth of the music on the DAP and on an SD card in the DAP? I would think that would be the type of DAP most of these other people want.
  1. The discussion is about using Bluetooth for control only (not audio streaming). e.g. using Bluetooth to send commands to play, skip, select track, etc the music stored on the SD card.
  2. DAPs do not need Bluetooth control for music playback, because they have physical buttons and screen for that purpose. Poly is a headless, wireless device and needs a phone to wirelessly control playback through WiFi or Bluetooth.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #7,005 of 18,775
Ok, I just jumped started my Poly to see what people are talking about the SD playback being perfect.

The first thing I notice already with Glider is that there is 3-4 seconds delay with every track? Really? This is not perfect.

And why do I see Poly's multiple times in Glider? This is again not perfect.

My Retina Macbook Pro does SD playback perfect without literally zero issues. And my Retina Macbook Pro wasn't even designed for SD playback :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back