Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #7,021 of 18,742
I'm reposting something I posted earlier as it may have gotten missed with the GoFigure "discussion"

For those of you on Android using Roon at home and SD card when you're out I've just discovered that I can use my Android phone with the M.A.L.P. app to control the SD card in my Poly without switching from Roon mode to other. This works both on WiFi and using my phone hotspot. Up til now I've been using the dreaded pin to switch to "Other" mode on Poly when I go out. Only the MALP app (not BubbleUPNP) works when leaving it in Roon Mode. This is awesome as I don't need to change modes when going out.

My apologies if this was already known, I'm quite happy to have discovered this on my system.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #7,024 of 18,742
may I ask why you're using Poly Hotspot mode instead of iPhone Hotspot mode? Poly Hotspot mode is not the recommended usage from Chord even though it works.

It's actually both - you can see that one image has the blue bar in the top left corner (indicating it's using my phone's hotspot) I've been trying all methods to find the most stable but have found the similar behaviour.

Also, using Poly's hotspot apparently preserves your phone's battery.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #7,025 of 18,742
The playlists viewed by GoFigure will be MPD playlists, I imagine. To create these use an MPD app (MALP, MPDroid). BubbleUpnp is a streaming app.

You should really wait for the app to be released to confirm this, of course...
I use MPD app with web browser with another streamer. Bubble do the same except store playlist.
Maybe must we to ask the developper to add this?
Yes - I've been having intermittent network drops using Bubble playing from SD card, running from a Note 8.
As mentioned before the most reliable SD file player for Android I've found is M.A.L.P - (an MDP client) and is the only way of playing gapless that I've found. It doesn't however index MP3 files (although they can still be played fine). Would be great if that issue was sorted while we all do the long wait for GoFigure Bluetooth control.

Can you store playlist on the sdcard of the Poly with M.A.L.P. ?

Edit: i have tested M.A.L.P.
The interface is not easy.
First i had defined a profile for my streamer Bryston bdp3.
To do this i need the IP adress of the bdp3.
After i create a playlist.
I store the playlist.
I use the display on my streamer and i found the playlist done with M.A.L.P.
Second : With the Poly connected on WIFI
I had defined a profile for the Poly.
To find the IP adress I used WIFI-MONITOR
I read the files on the SD card.
All is working perfectly.
I had created playlist, saved it and recalled it.
I can find this playlist with BubbleUPnP.
For me it is because BubbleUpnp can only display the playlist stored on the smartphone.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #7,026 of 18,742
It's actually both - you can see that one image has the blue bar in the top left corner (indicating it's using my phone's hotspot) I've been trying all methods to find the most stable but have found the similar behaviour.

Also, using Poly's hotspot apparently preserves your phone's battery.

got it. honestly think a lot of problems are easily remedied by the old "IT Crowd" solution: "have you tried turning it on and off again?"

anytime I have connection issues, I reboot my iPhone and everything runs smoothly.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #7,027 of 18,742
got it. honestly think a lot of problems are easily remedied by the old "IT Crowd" solution: "have you tried turning it on and off again?"

anytime I have connection issues, I reboot my iPhone and everything runs smoothly.

I'm thinking that environmental conditions are playing a big part. This would explain why some people have no issues, some people have loads.

I wonder if there is an issue with Poly trying to connect to stronger open WIFI networks when you're out and about - and this causes the drop outs.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #7,028 of 18,742
I'm thinking that environmental conditions are playing a big part. This would explain why some people have no issues, some people have loads.

I wonder if there is an issue with Poly trying to connect to stronger open WIFI networks when you're out and about - and this causes the drop outs.

speaking of environmental conditions, sometimes I wonder if being a walking wi-fi hotspot might be slightly bad for the human body... with Poly in one pocket and iPhone in the other.

but it's all worth it for music :)

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #7,029 of 18,742
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #7,030 of 18,742
Yes, it does actually work. Look up "hybrid mode" on here:
http://www.map-pin.com/wiki/doku.php?id=chordpoly#charging_status_lights

I've seen that before but i couldn't get it to work , i haven't revisited the situation(I need to)

If i can get that to work then I dont give a twat about bluetooth. This could save the day for me.

So just to clarify *if you don't mind helping me*
I can use phone 4g to do my web browsing and connect to poly and control her sd card? (additionally can I also push tidal offline playlist using bubbleupnp , just so it doesntd use my pgones 4g)

Please answer all parts, this could really be it for me.

I'm worried it will use my 4G data

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #7,031 of 18,742
speaking of environmental conditions, sometimes I wonder if being a walking wi-fi hotspot might be slightly bad for the human body... with Poly in one pocket and iPhone in the other.

but it's all worth it for music :)

Gonna have to 'wrap the chap' in aluminium foil! :beyersmile:

So here's the thing. Tonight I've had Poly switched on the whole time. Listening to it every now and then - and not a single issue. I even left a track paused for an hour and it resumed straight away.

2 days ago I was commuting around London and I could barely get 4 songs to play.

It's a strange beast!

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #7,032 of 18,742
I've seen that before but i couldn't get it to work , i haven't revisited the situation(I need to)

If i can get that to work then I dont give a twat about bluetooth. This could save the day for me.

I can use phone 4g to do my web browsing and connect to poly and control her sd card? (additionally can I also push tidal offline playlist using bubbleupnp , just so it doesntd use my pgones 4g)

@NaiveSound The Hybrid mode is for Apple devices only. I've tried it on my Android phone and it doesn't work. And no you can't push your Tidal offline to Poly unfortunately. Right now the only way I've found to play offline Tidal to Poly is through bluetooth or a faked out Airplay on rooted phones. This was discussed awhile back.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #7,033 of 18,742

Yep - it does work! If you follow Jeremy's video you should be good. Poly won't use any data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back