Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 10, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #466 of 18,821
That's the problem. Chord can't even put up a simple amateur video showing how to use the Poly. Just look at all those people asking in this thread. Instead they're relying on someone to do it for them. And they go on debating people here and saying they don't understand the product.

---If you have to explain this much to the people, then you have poor marketing."

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #467 of 18,821

For a while there we were starting to discuss features and uses...now we are back to price.  Not everyone needs to follow only one path or use case.  Let's please stick to the potential uses and benefits (many of which won't be known until we get more data and reviews), but there are a lot of currently possible cases already:

1) use phone with no cable between phone and DAC
2) wireless streamer from NAS (home system)
3) [let's keep adding]

You need performance measurements and data to identify whether a use case is even acceptable. 

For example if the 802.11 radio has to back off the modulation rate because SNR is too low in a cluttered environment, streaming 24/192 over wifi might not be a valid use case. You can drop to BPSK (for example) to cut through the interferers, but at the expense of end-to-end throughput. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #468 of 18,821
For a while there we were starting to discuss features and uses...now we are back to price.  Not everyone needs to follow only one path or use case.  Let's please stick to the potential uses and benefits (many of which won't be known until we get more data and reviews), but there are a lot of currently possible cases already:

3) [let's keep adding]

But you do have to connect your headphones -wired- to the mojo and BT headphones exist for some time but you cant connect them. Also any phone (even first Android devices) could connect to a Nas and play music. Thats what I do when at home.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #470 of 18,821

3) [let's keep adding]

That was a hardly a post discussing price. It was more focused on features and measurements, with a closing mention that you can buy a phone with an SD card for less cost than a Poly.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #472 of 18,821
You plug hp in mojopoly, put in pocket, control with phone without dangling cables... That's it!

But why not put your headphones in your phone directly? :) And if you're already carrying all the bulk, what difference does one small cable mean then?

So if I'm right, it makes your mojo wireless for just $600? There must be cheaper alternatives

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #473 of 18,821
Well, this is fascinating. Even so, that I'll post here for the first time.

To make this clear, I'm own Chord products.

I think both sides here are not fair. Yes the Poly is expensive but then, it's a Chord product.

To the members posting here. I belief the bashing and sarcasm is not fair.

To Mr. John Franks which I'm highly respect, do you think it is fair, even I'm understand you have to sell your product, to

make the below Quote to someone which apparently don't understand much about BT

Quote:

thought experiment ...Actually that's it interesting as an idea but with a small plastic end cover on poly you might do this without Poly being connected to mojo so you'd have a ton of music for your BT phone's with a small neat ( end covered) Poly in a pocket and you wouldn't need to have your music cluttering up your phone. Can it be done I'm sure it can. Would it sound as good as Poly and Mojo together? Unfortunately not but sometimes and for some people that may not matter!

to buy a Poly for the only argument not to have his music cluttering his phone? More or less buy a Poly so you don't waist

your phone memory? In other words the Poly is then nothing else as a overpriced external SD card? Because that is what

the Poly in this scenario will be and nothing else. 

And since the Poly needs a phone with BT to operate anyway makes this argument even less appreciative.

Just connect your BT headset directly with your phone. Problem solved. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #474 of 18,821
That's the problem. Chord can't even put up a simple amateur video showing how to use the Poly. Just look at all those people asking in this thread. Instead they're relying on someone to do it for them. Instead... they go on debating people here and saying they don't understand the product.

---If you have to explain this much to the people, then you have poor marketing."

Agree completely. This thread goes on and on because consumers don't understand the product. Chord should create some simple diagrams illustrating how everything connects in various use cases.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #475 of 18,821
But why not put your headphones in your phone directly? :) And if you're already carrying all the bulk, what difference does one small cable mean then?

So if I'm right, it makes your mojo wireless for just $600? There must be cheaper alternatives

You're right :)
They're selling the Poly for convenience that you wont have to hassle with cables everytime you whip out your phone or whatever...

It's like this... hp plugged to mojopoly.... mojopoly in pocket... then forget about it... control with phone look ma no chord (I mean, no cable. Lol) for 600 bucks! hah :D

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #476 of 18,821

You need performance measurements and data to identify whether a use case is even acceptable. 

For example if the 802.11 radio has to back off the modulation rate because SNR is too low in a cluttered environment, streaming 24/192 over wifi might not be a valid use case. You can drop to BPSK (for example) to cut through the interferers, but at the expense of end-to-end throughput. 

Fair enough. But, for *starters* why don't we compose the possible uses.  It's productive!  Then, we get reviews and units out, we can start filling in the comparisons and the "how well" does Poly do each of these things.  That would start to let people know the range of possibilities, as a baseline.  (Or, we can just keep saying it's more expensive than a cheap SD card reader.)

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #477 of 18,821

Fair enough. But, for *starters* why don't we compose the possible uses.  It's productive!  Then, we get reviews and units out, we can start filling in the comparisons and the "how well" does Poly do each of these things.  That would start to let people know the range of possibilities, as a baseline.  (Or, we can just keep saying it's more expensive than a cheap SD card reader.)

Because I don't subscribe to the "you have to buy it to know what it does" philosophy. It should be incumbent on the manufacturer to explain why consumers should buy their product, not on consumers to blindly give a manufacturer money so that they can then justify the purchase... The latter is completely backwards. 

With respect, I disagree that it is productive to make up possible uses without having the knowledge about the efficacy of the proposed uses... This ends up being a meaningless process. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #478 of 18,821

Grumpy.

Please point me to a cheaper device that will let me link to the Mojo and deliver audio in its original quality to the Mojo like a USB cable would. Bluetooth ones are no good as they can't handle Hi-def bit rates. That can stream Tidal & Spotify to it and control volume/next/previous etc.

Now if I give up on the Mojo all together then I'm likely to try out a Fiio X5 3rd gen when available. I may still buy one over the Poly yet, I can't justify buying both at the moment. If the Mojo sound quality was no better that medium-high-end DAPS I wouldn't even be considering the Pol.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #479 of 18,821
Grumpy.

Please point me to a cheaper device that will let me link to the Mojo and deliver audio in its original quality to the Mojo like a USB cable would. Bluetooth ones are no good as they can't handle Hi-def bit rates. They can stream Tidal & Spotify to it and control volume/next/previous etc.

Now if I give up on the Mojo all together then I'm likely to try out a Fiio X5 3rd gen when available. I may still buy one over the Poly yet, I can't justify buying both at the moment.

Chromecast Audio, $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back