Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 10, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #481 of 18,821
Thought the chromecast audio has optical. The non-audio for streaming video to a tv is hdmi

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #484 of 18,821
Also potentially compatible with more apps e.g. qobuz, tunein radio. Did ask about poly compatibility with apps other than spotify a few days ago, but no ideas have surfaced yet.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #486 of 18,821
Bluetooth compresses audio, ostensibly resulting in a loss in audio quality. The difference with the Poly is that you can use Wi-Fi (instead of Bluetooth, though you may use Bluetooth if you want as well) to have a lossless connection, so audio quality is not compromised. Poly makes your Mojo wireless. And it has an SD card reader. Those are the selling points.
One Of my facepalm moments....who cares about wifi...you still go through Bluetooth to your Bluetooth earphones

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #488 of 18,821

Limited to 24-bit/96khz HD audio but could cope with that for massively lower price.

It has its own DAC (AKM AK4430 DAC) so wouldn't that be introducing issues.

Is it mains powered? So I'd need a battery pack?

If so, not really what I'm after, but does look like it could work for purely home use if you don't want to listen to music higher than 96khz in its mastered form. Then there's also the quality issue getting the music double DAC'ed.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #489 of 18,821
One Of my facepalm moments....who cares about wifi...you still go through Bluetooth to your Bluetooth earphones

Where not talking about using Bluetooth earphones. You don't buy a Mojo to listen to BT headphones. Its about wirelessly feeding the Mojo music and control via a phone without loosing the quality you get cabled.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #490 of 18,821

Limited to 24-bit/96khz HD audio but could cope with that for massively lower price.

If so, not really what I'm after, but does look like it could work for purely home use if you don't want to listen to music higher than 96khz in its mastered form. Then there's also the quality issue getting the music double DAC'ed.

It's USB powered, last I checked, so you're still connecting it to your phone or some other device at the end of the day.  Doesn't really help for portable use.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #491 of 18,821

You would have to use a portable battery. Get a two port pack and you can extend the life on Mojo as well. 

Optical out is digital, you can't double DAC because the output would already be analog after the first Digital-to-Analog Converter. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #492 of 18,821

You would have to use a portable battery. Get a two port pack and you can extend the life on Mojo as well. 

Optical out is digital, you can't double DAC because the output would already be analog after the first Digital-to-Analog Converter. 

May be a compromise for in the home but more cumbersome than a phone/DAP strapped to the Mojo while out & about. Would be more bulky, not like a Poly strapped to the Mojo plus my Mobile that I always carry anyway.

The whole point for me is to get to as near the recorded master as possible. So the Chromcast would only use its DAC for the phono out, not its optical out? Would that mean the 24/96 limit wouldn't apply for the optical connection?

It comes down to if wanting to keep the Mojo quality sound in a highly portable, bespoke designed wireless device fed from the phone most already have is it work £500 to the buyer.  For me I'm not totally sure yet which is why I just have a £50 refundable deposit down on my Chord Poly.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #493 of 18,821

May be a compromise for in the home but more cumbersome than a phone/DAP strapped to the Mojo while out & about. Would be more bulky, not like a Poly strapped to the Mojo plus my Mobile that I always carry anyway.

The whole point for me is to get to as near the recorded master as possible. So the Chromcast would only use its DAC for the phono out, not its optical out? Would that mean the 24/96 limit wouldn't apply for the optical connection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbnmK88MIUM

This guy is using very small portable battery packs... He says it'll last about a day of use before needing to recharge. Looks to me like it would actually be smaller than Mojo+Poly.

onboard DAC is only for 3.5mm and RCA output, not optical. Optical is a digital interface, not analog.

Toslink is capable of 24/192, though not originally designed for it. I don't know the details about this particular implementation... You'd have to ask someone more familiar with that hardware.

You know what, for kicks and giggles I'm going to pick up a Chromecast Audio and small battery pack from Best Buy on my way home today... I'll hook it up to the Mojo and post some results. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #494 of 18,821
I have to say I'm surprised at the exchanges here.

First off, the criticism of the information from Chord. I'm sure many posters empathise with having a hard deadline (CES) to work towards. The focus HAD to be on getting the product built.
We have been told the use case videos are on the way. It's a product announcement. The product isn't even for sale for 2-3 months. Emotional outbursts stating "I'm not buying this" are posturing. No-one can buy it until March(ish).
Does nobody remember the iPhone launch? Half the demo didn't work. Give the guys some latitude. Ever heard of patience?

Second, the fuss about the price. This seems to be based on a number of things. "I just wanted an SD card reader", "It costs more than Mojo", "I don't know what it does", It doesn't have a screen", "I can buy a DAP/PHONE/another product for less", "2.4 and not 5gHz WLAN"
So here are my (limited) observations on some of these scenarios. They aren't intended to map as a Pros vs Cons evaluation

Poly + MojoPhone onlyDAP only
SD Card playback with 256Gb + of Music files onlySome have no SD card, those that do have other stuff like Photo's, Videos, Apps etc. So never 256Gb for just musicSD Card with 256Gb + of Music files only
No USB cable from Phone to Mojo, avoid OS glitches/RF interferencePoor audio performance compared to Mojo (whole reason Mojo exists). If that's ok, you don't need Mojo or PolyTouchscreen, fixed OS, usually old Android, not much use for anything but Music
Wireless streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a NASIf Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do thisNot Mojo sound signature. If that is ok, you don't need Mojo or Poly.
Bluetooth streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a Phone (medium resolution), using Mojo capability, possibly the best sounding Bluetooth audio If Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do this
Wireless streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a Phone (Hi-Res)  
No screen, saves the issue of having a proprietary OS to support and integrate with Android / IOS, avoids user complaints and eventual obsolescence  
Phone as the control point means users keep an OS they are happy with and simply run an app. How everything else works, right?  
Now I have an old Cowon DAP that I keep meaning to sell on ebay. It was good, not like Mojo, and has been superseded. It had limited memory, crap OS and so it gathers dust. I am not keen to go down that route again.
For the complaints such as "I just wanted an SD card reader", It doesn't have a screen", "I can buy a DAP/PHONE/another product for less". Comparing Poly to just one or a couple of these criteria, means Poly isn't for you. Get over it, buy what you feel is best (Raspberry Pi, DAP etc)

The lack of touch screen is becoming a complaint. I feel Chord were on a hiding to nothing here. I also have a multiroom Linn streaming system. Since that was launched, the argument that fills their forums is over control points. Linn should build their own vs Linn should focus on what it does (not apps). When Linn builds their own it is rubbished and compared to all the other control points. I personally prefer selecting the best available in the app store. I know others will disagree.

On the WLAN 2.4gHz issue. I work for a WLAN vendor. We of course push the latest tech and hammer home the 5gHz benefits. What else does an equipment vendor do? Believe me, 2.4gHz is not going away. 5gHz is not always the answer. The techs in engineering I asked weren't fussed. Half the devices in my home ONLY work on 2.4Ghz. 5 of which stream HD video just fine. 5gHz would be nice. I don't see it as a show stopper. I'm sure Poly could be returned it in the unlikely event the WI-FI failed to work in someones environment.

No-one HAS to buy Poly. Mojo will continue to work fine as it is. If you don't want it, or like something else more, move on.
Why not keep it cool until we see the Chord videos?
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #495 of 18,821
  I have to say I'm surprised at the exchanges here.

First off, the criticism of the information from Chord. I'm sure many posters empathise with having a hard deadline (CES) to work towards. The focus HAD to be on getting the product built.
We have been told the use case videos are on the way. It's a product announcement. The product isn't even for sale for 2-3 months. Emotional outbursts stating "I'm not buying this" are posturing. No-one can buy it until March(ish).
Does nobody remember the iPhone launch? Half the demo didn't work. Give the guys some latitude. Ever heard of patience?

Second, the fuss about the price. This seems to be based on a number of things. "I just wanted an SD card reader", "It costs more than Mojo", "I don't know what it does", It doesn't have a screen", "I can buy a DAP/PHONE/another product for less", "2.4 and not 5gHz WLAN"
So here are my (limited) observations on some of these scenarios. They aren't intended to map as a Pros vs Cons evaluation

Poly + MojoPhone onlyDAP only
SD Card playback with 256Gb + of Music files onlySome have no SD card, those that do have other stuff like Photo's, Videos, Apps etc. So never 256Gb for just musicSD Card with 256Gb + of Music files only
No USB cable from Phone to Mojo, avoid OS glitches/RF interferencePoor audio performance compared to Mojo (whole reason Mojo exists). If that's ok, you don't need Mojo or PolyTouchscreen, fixed OS, usually old Android, not much use for anything but Music
Wireless streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a NASIf Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do thisNot Mojo sound signature. If that is ok, you don't need Mojo or Poly.
Bluetooth streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a Phone (medium resolution), using Mojo capability, possibly the best sounding Bluetooth audio If Bluetooth only headphones are your preference, this could be for you. Poly will not do this
Wireless streaming module to allow Mojo playback from a Phone (Hi-Res)  
No screen, saves the issue of having a proprietary OS to support and integrate with Android / IOS, avoids user complaints and eventual obsolescence  
Phone as the control point means users keep an OS they are happy with and simply run an app. How everything else works, right?  
Now I have an old Cowon DAP that I keep meaning to sell on ebay. It was good, not like Mojo, and has been superseded. It had limited memory, crap OS and so it gathers dust. I am not keen to go down that route again.
For the complaints such as "I just wanted an SD card reader", It doesn't have a screen", "I can buy a DAP/PHONE/another product for less". Comparing Poly to just one or a couple of these criteria, means Poly isn't for you. Get over it, buy what you feel is best (Raspberry Pi, DAP etc)

The lack of touch screen is becoming a complaint. I feel Chord were on a hiding to nothing here. I also have a multiroom Linn streaming system. Since that was launched, the argument that fills their forums is over control points. Linn should build their own vs Linn should focus on what it does (not apps). When Linn builds their own it is rubbished and compared to all the other control points. I personally prefer selecting the best available in the app store. I know others will disagree.

On the WLAN 2.4gHz issue. I work for a WLAN vendor. We of course push the latest tech and hammer home the 5gHz benefits. What else does an equipment vendor do? Believe me, 2.4gHz is not going away. 5gHz is not always the answer. The techs in engineering I asked weren't fussed. Half the devices in my home ONLY work on 2.4Ghz. 5 of which stream HD video just fine. 5gHz would be nice. I don't see it as a show stopper. I'm sure Poly could be returned it in the unlikely event the WI-FI failed to work in someones environment.

No-one HAS to buy Poly. Mojo will continue to work fine as it is. If you don't want it, or like something else more, move on.
Why not keep it cool until we see the Chord videos?
beerchug.gif

Amen! That's what I been trying to say all this time and you said it much better than I do. Also thanks for explain the Mojo+Poly functions much better than I did. I actually understood more about the Poly now than before.

I'm just tired of explaining and decided to poke fun of these guys. It was "lol" moments for me and misunderstood by some. I've should use your approach instead. Great job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back