Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 10, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #436 of 18,757
Basically makes it a Wireless DAP with control via a smartphone (or laptop/tablet). You can control the Mojopoly music playback on its built-in microSD card from a phone or stream the phones stored music to it wirelessly (without quality loss over WiFi unlike over BT). If your happy having a physical wired connection from DAP/phone to the Mojo then you don't need it.

If you tend to feed Mojo from a variety of sources such as Laptop at home, Desktop at work, Phone while out then no need to keep physically connecting to each device.

So the poly has a 3.5mm jack then? Or do you use the headphone out of your phone?

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #438 of 18,757
So the poly has a 3.5mm jack then? Or do you use the headphone out of your phone?

Your ear/headphones still connect directly into the Mojo part but the feed from your source device will come over WiFi or BT (rather than a cable). If over BT then I'd imagine you loose the H-Def audio ability but the Mojopoly will still try to make the best of lower quality audio being fed to it. It should feed audio tracks from source over WiFi without change in quality.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #439 of 18,757
So the Bluetooth is for input only, hoping it would also output signal after passing through Dac ?

It may do but not sure why you would want to seeing as it will be reduce quality to fit the BT data transfer standard and just about every phone has BT output on its own anyway.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #440 of 18,757
So the Bluetooth is for input only, hoping it would also output signal after passing through Dac ?

Look Bluetooth is a digital wireless protocol. There is no way you can use any bluetooth headphone and still use Mojo on the loop. 

I don't think we need this feature. the LDAC via bluetooth is transporting digital signal, where the DAC is on the headphone. 
Even Poly can be programmed to allowed this feature, the Mojo DAC will be totally bypassed.

A;ways happy to demonstrate my technical ignorance in a public forum! Is that how it works? So the DAC in my walkman is bypassed when using it with BT?

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #442 of 18,757
Your ear/headphones still connect directly into the Mojo part but the feed from your source device will come over WiFi or BT (rather than a cable). If over BT then I'd imagine you loose the H-Def audio ability but the Mojopoly will still try to make the best of lower quality audio being fed to it. It should feed audio tracks from source over WiFi without change in quality.

So... Why would you get one? Every phone has BT and WiFi right? And many phones have micro SD memory and ifyou get the cheapest iPhone and count the price of this device with it you could with ease get the highest memory iPhone. I'm sorry but I don't really see what this product does :)

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #443 of 18,757

I think you're forgetting the about to be announced Chord "Gon" product. It will plug into the two Mojo headphone sockets and come with a new "baguette" case.

It will be 25 layer and made by a small factory in rural Cornwall which is currently making PCBs for the new European Space Agency wrist mounted Fusion Reactor smart watch.

The Gon will provide a state of the art A to D converter and Bluetooth module which will allow 512 bit DSDs to be heard on the new Apple Airpods.

The Mojo plus Poly-Gon add ons will thus be an exquisitely designed piece of redundancy, and will give a much greater sense of superiority than just using iPhone and AirPods on their own.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #444 of 18,757

I think you're forgetting the about to be announced Chord "Gon" product. It will plug into the two Mojo headphone sockets and come with a new "baguette" case.

It will be 25 layer and made by a small factory in rural Cornwall which is currently making PCBs for the new European Space Agency wrist mounted Fusion Reactor smart watch.

The Gon will provide a state of the art A to D converter and Bluetooth module which will allow 512 bit DSDs to be heard on the new Apple Airpods.

The Mojo plus Poly-Gon add ons will thus be an exquisitely designed piece of redundancy, and will give a much greater sense of superiority than just using iPhone and AirPods on their own.

Don't forget the Zo module which attaches to the Gon to provide users with a 3.5mm jack output to enable the use of wired headphones

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #445 of 18,757
On a serious note, I'm really curious. Aside from the complex, exotic components, what exactly does the Poly bring that allows it to compete with other products like...say the Chromecast Audio? Yes, I'm well aware by now that the components are superior, but I'm curious about the design choices. What exactly does the Poly do that's special? What are the reasons you choose to go with these complex components and what benefits do they give over...say, the Raspberry Pi solution mentioned before? I've seen a lot of attacks, but no real answer, and I'm still confused about what place this product has. As a potential customer, I'm really curious, and sadly I might have to look elsewhere if nobody can explain why I should get this product. Without any evidence, I'm only thing on blind faith, and the price for the Poly is very high for a gamble. I know there are reasons and many intelligent design choices, proof is they invest their time in realizing such a product. I just want them to convince us as consumers why they believe this product has a place in our lives.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #446 of 18,757
Quite simple for me: I'll probably buy this. If it does what it says it does and sounds as fantastic as I think it might (and there's every chance it will given Chord's track record) then I'll be very happy and will use it every day.

I can't afford a Bugatti but I don't go on car forums and complain that they're overpriced. I just take the bus to work.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #447 of 18,757
  Quite simple for me: I'll probably buy this. If it does what it says it does and sounds as fantastic as I think it might (and there's every chance it will given Chord's track record) then I'll be very happy and will use it every day.

I can't afford a Bugatti but I don't go on car forums and complain that they're overpriced. I just take the bus to work.

If you're gonna make an analogy then make the correct one. This would be a car forum, where all brands and products are discussed, not a Bugatti forum.

And even if it were a Bugatti forum and you could afford one, if Bugatti were selling a tire that costs more than the Veyron, I'm sure you'd ask what makes it cost that much.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #448 of 18,757
As poly has Bluetooth, will it be usable with Bluetooth iems?? So mojopoly in pocket, phone in hand, Bluetooth iems in, and no wires ??? Now that would be interesting?
thought experiment ...Actually that's it interesting as an idea but with a small plastic end cover on poly you might do this without Poly being connected to mojo so you'd have a ton of music for your BT phone's with a small neat ( end covered) Poly in a pocket and you wouldn't need to have your music cluttering up your phone. Can it be done I'm sure it can. Would it sound as good as Poly and Mojo together? Unfortunately not but sometimes and for some people that may not matter!

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #449 of 18,757
thought experiment ...Actually that's it interesting as an idea but with a small plastic end cover on poly you might do this without Poly being connected to mojo so you'd have a ton of music for your BT phone's with a small neat ( end covered) Poly in a pocket and you wouldn't need to have your music cluttering up your phone. Can it be done I'm sure it can. Would it sound as good as Poly and Mojo together? Unfortunately not but sometimes and for some people that may not matter!

Exactly - there is a time and a place for noise cancelling BT headphones and a device in your backpack - on the London tube for example, where I am happy to compromise on ultimate sound quality for additional convenience.  But Could you control the Poly over BT from your smart phone at the same time as listening via BT?

So Poly is essentially a transport that can be hard connected to the Mojo DAC (avoiding the issues around cables etc) and carries both onboard music and streaming from apps on smart phones via Wifi or BT.  Right?

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #450 of 18,757

Exactly - there is a time and a place for noise cancelling BT headphones and a device in your backpack - on the London tube for example, where I am happy to compromise on ultimate sound quality for additional convenience.  But Could you control the Poly over BT from your smart phone at the same time as listening via BT?

Why would you need Mojo/Poly for this use case??????

Using bluetooth from the phone directly to your bluetooth headphones is literally the same thing. All you are using Poly for in that case is as a repeater. You don't need it for such short distances... in fact, it's like the phone would be closer to the headphones than Mojo/Poly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back