Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 19, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #16,126 of 18,759
I believe part of the firmware upgrade is to update MPD to at least v 0.22.x or at least v 0.21.x.
The Poly’s MPD is currently at 0.20.22 which was released in October 2018.
I remember a post from Chord explaining that upgrading the MPD service broke some of the internals.
Hopefully we will get the updated Poly firmware sooner rather than later.

May 19, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #16,127 of 18,759
I believe part of the firmware upgrade is to update MPD to at least v 0.22.x or at least v 0.21.x.
The Poly’s MPD is currently at 0.20.22 which was released in October 2018.
I remember a post from Chord explaining that upgrading the MPD service broke some of the internals.
Hopefully we will get the updated Poly firmware sooner rather than later.
I suspect that you are remembering this post that I quoted.
Fingers crossed that the Poly update is only a few days away.
:relaxed:

May 19, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #16,128 of 18,759
@chesebert and @pkny please don't get too stressed yet.

The first possible root cause is that chesebert has updated GoFigure, but cannot update the Poly firmware until Chord release the Poly update - everything may work correctly once the Poly is updated.

The second possible root cause is the angle of the slashes in the playlist code. I remember posts early in the Poly or 2Go thread flagging up that Poly expect one type of slash in the address, but some apps generate the other type of slash.
Easy to rectify using a text editor, or recreating the playlists using Cantata is an alternative option.
Just want to help @chesebert here. No stress at all. :relaxed:

I can rule out the 1st possible cause as one of my device is using the latest GoFigure, and I have no problem with playlists. Actually, the latest GoFigure has one of the best features, which is playlists caching. I like to use the Poly in airplane mode playing from the MPD playlists because it provides the best sound quality. However, the old GoFigure takes ~5 mins to load my 400+ playlists every time I open the app. It was very frustrated. I was thinking writing my own app to cache the playlist, and control Poly to play them. Now, with the new playlists caching, I can save my time and brain. I am so happy about it. :)

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #16,131 of 18,759
You need to use GoFigure, but Roon works so well like this, it’s worth it. Just takes a minute.
Thank you. I gave a go and Roon does indeed work wonderfully. So nice to walk around the house and on the patio with my Mojo. Beats the pants off my M11 Pro.

It does seem like a real pain to switch back and forth, though. The GoFigure app takes forever to load the Poly’s settings. And then it took two or three tries to find Poly in the network settings on my iPhone. Is that normal? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong?

May 19, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #16,132 of 18,759
Could you copy and paste one of your playlists here? It should work if you create the playlist using one of the MPD applications.
Here is one:
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\01 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Trauermarsch.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\02 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Sturmisch bewegt.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\03 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Scherzo.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\04 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Adiagietto.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\05 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Rondo - Finale.flac

Here is another:
Mariah Carey\#1's\01 Mariah Carey - Sweetheart.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\02 Mariah Carey - When You Believe [From 'the Prince of Egypt'].flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\03 Mariah Carey - Whenever You Call.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\04 Mariah Carey - My All.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\05 Mariah Carey - Honey.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\06 Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\07 Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\08 Mariah Carey - Fantasy.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\09 Mariah Carey - Hero.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\10 Mariah Carey - Dreamlover.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\11 Mariah Carey - I'll Be There.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\12 Mariah Carey - Emotions.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\13 Mariah Carey - I Don't Wanna Cry.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\14 Mariah Carey - Someday.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\15 Mariah Carey - Love Takes Time.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\16 Mariah Carey - Vision of Love.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\17 Mariah Carey - I Still Believe.flac

Problem: press playlist in Gofigure and nothing plays. mpd.db and 2 other files are created by Poly.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #16,133 of 18,759
Here is one:
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\01 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Trauermarsch.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\02 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Sturmisch bewegt.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\03 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Scherzo.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\04 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Adiagietto.flac
Seiji Ozawa\Mahler; Symphony No. 5\05 Seiji Ozawa - Symphony No. 5 in C sharp; Rondo - Finale.flac

Here is another:
Mariah Carey\#1's\01 Mariah Carey - Sweetheart.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\02 Mariah Carey - When You Believe [From 'the Prince of Egypt'].flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\03 Mariah Carey - Whenever You Call.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\04 Mariah Carey - My All.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\05 Mariah Carey - Honey.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\06 Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\07 Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\08 Mariah Carey - Fantasy.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\09 Mariah Carey - Hero.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\10 Mariah Carey - Dreamlover.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\11 Mariah Carey - I'll Be There.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\12 Mariah Carey - Emotions.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\13 Mariah Carey - I Don't Wanna Cry.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\14 Mariah Carey - Someday.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\15 Mariah Carey - Love Takes Time.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\16 Mariah Carey - Vision of Love.flac
Mariah Carey\#1's\17 Mariah Carey - I Still Believe.flac

Problem: press playlist in Gofigure and nothing plays. mpd.db and 2 other files are created by Poly.
Like @miketlse said, it is the backslash vs forward slash thing.

Try this:
Mariah Carey/#1's/01 Mariah Carey - Sweetheart.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/02 Mariah Carey - When You Believe [From 'the Prince of Egypt'].flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/03 Mariah Carey - Whenever You Call.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/04 Mariah Carey - My All.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/05 Mariah Carey - Honey.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/06 Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/07 Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/08 Mariah Carey - Fantasy.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/09 Mariah Carey - Hero.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/10 Mariah Carey - Dreamlover.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/11 Mariah Carey - I'll Be There.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/12 Mariah Carey - Emotions.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/13 Mariah Carey - I Don't Wanna Cry.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/14 Mariah Carey - Someday.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/15 Mariah Carey - Love Takes Time.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/16 Mariah Carey - Vision of Love.flac
Mariah Carey/#1's/17 Mariah Carey - I Still Believe.flac

May 19, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #16,134 of 18,759
I think it’s something to do with Maria Carey, I think the latest mpd update won’t recognize it, on condition of taste, unless it’s both Christmas time and a Christmas song.

May 19, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #16,135 of 18,759
Does anyone hear difference between WAV vs FLAC with Poly? I found out WAV sounds slightly better. It has more air around the vocal and instruments. I know flac is lossless format, and I hear no difference using sources other than Poly. Something very weird with Poly playing FLAC WAV vs FLAC.

So, I did some tests to find out it was not my imagination.

Here are my tests:

Devices: MojoPoly in airplane mode, AKG N5005​
Music: samples HiRes music from 2L, my CD rips using EAC and encode with flac 1.3.3​
I asked my brother to create playlists. Each playlist has the same track for ten times, and randomly put in different formats. For example:​

Track1:

1.wav

2.wav

3.flac

4.wav

5.flac

6.flac

7.wav

8.flac

9.flac

10.flac

Without me knowing the order of the format, I wrote down what I think the format is on a piece of paper after I listen to it. Comparing the results.
I am able to correctly identify the format every time. 100% correct!

Then, I repeated the test but using a DAP, phone, and laptop to connect to Mojo instead. I cannot distinguish the different between wav and flac.
It is very strange as I hear no difference with my other source. My guesses are:

-The flac decoder in Poly does something different than the standard flac decoder.​
or
-Poly does use the standard flac decoder, but the extra decoding required processing power, which affects the sound.​

I am going to email Chord, and I will do the same test in 2Go next week.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #16,136 of 18,759
May 19, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #16,137 of 18,759
Thank you. I gave a go and Roon does indeed work wonderfully. So nice to walk around the house and on the patio with my Mojo. Beats the pants off my M11 Pro.

It does seem like a real pain to switch back and forth, though. The GoFigure app takes forever to load the Poly’s settings. And then it took two or three tries to find Poly in the network settings on my iPhone. Is that normal? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong?
No, that’s it. I’ve been in Roon mode for the last 14 months! But I did have to try to remember hotspot mode for a plane ride 2 weeks ago. GoFigure is very slow (Bluetooth LE), but maybe you shouldn’t have to switch more than 2x per day, at most?

May 19, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #16,138 of 18,759
Does anyone hear difference between WAV vs FLAC with Poly? I found out WAV sounds slightly better. It has more air around the vocal and instruments. I know flac is lossless format, and I hear no difference using sources other than Poly. Something very weird with Poly playing FLAC WAV vs FLAC.

So, I did some tests to find out it was not my imagination.

Here are my tests:

Devices: MojoPoly in airplane mode, AKG N5005​
Music: samples HiRes music from 2L, my CD rips using EAC and encode with flac 1.3.3​
I asked my brother to create playlists. Each playlist has the same track for ten times, and randomly put in different formats. For example:​

Without me knowing the order of the format, I wrote down what I think the format is on a piece of paper after I listen to it. Comparing the results.
I am able to correctly identify the format every time. 100% correct!

Then, I repeated the test but using a DAP, phone, and laptop to connect to Mojo instead. I cannot distinguish the different between wav and flac.
It is very strange as I hear no difference with my other source. My guesses are:

-The flac decoder in Poly does something different than the standard flac decoder.​
or
-Poly does use the standard flac decoder, but the extra decoding required processing power, which affects the sound.​

I am going to email Chord, and I will do the same test in 2Go next week.
I have no doubt wav sounds better than flac due to not needing to decompress the file in real time. Decompression puts a load on the processor and power supply and can generate extra switching noise and power fluctuation.

May 19, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #16,139 of 18,759
No, that’s it. I’ve been in Roon mode for the last 14 months! But I did have to try to remember hotspot mode for a plane ride 2 weeks ago. GoFigure is very slow (Bluetooth LE), but maybe you shouldn’t have to switch more than 2x per day, at most?
Thank you. Yeah, most days probably just twice. I do like to walk to the park by my house to work on occasion, but I guess I can just use M11 Pro when I’m popping in and out.... Or buy another Mojo + Poly! :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back