Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Dec 17, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #4,801 of 6,288
If it's over Wi-Fi, then it's bit-perfect. If it weren't, then a large amount of the internet would be completely dysfunctional.
I did not have data degradation in mind but audio degradation.

If the data is shipped to my phone and some modification made by an inferior algorithm, such as an alteration in volume level, then I would regard the audio returned to the Hugo 2go as having been corrupted and degraded.

I do not want even the slightest possibility of this.

When the 2go is playing directly to the Hugo from the sd card with my phone disconnected then I am confident that degradation of the sort I have defined is not happening.

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #4,802 of 6,288
As someone considering the purchase of a 2go, I'm curious about how the DLNA playback functions under the hood. Based on a read of the manual, I get the sense that it works like this:
  1. 2go is given files on SD card or cards.
  2. 2go shares said files to the local network, acting as a DLNA server. (There's a menu option for 'refreshing the DLNA database' when you insert a new or updated card).
  3. To play said files, GoFigure is not used directly. Instead, the user runs a completely separate app (a DLNA client) like BubbleUPnP or 8 Player and points it at the 2go to retrieve the DLNA file database.
  4. User selects '2go' as the output device for their DLNA/UPnP application and controls playback from their chosen client application (not GoFigure).
Along the lines of SteveHulk's post, the question that arises for me is: once DLNA/UPnP playback has started, is it 'self-contained' within the 2go, or does the 2go have to stream the bits to the client app which then turns around and streams the bits back to the 2go?

A second question I have is about the MPD playlists. Are they m3u format, or some other format? As far as I can tell, MPD isn't a format in and of itself, it's a Music Player Daemon for Linux.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #4,803 of 6,288
As someone considering the purchase of a 2go, I'm curious about how the DLNA playback functions under the hood. Based on a read of the manual, I get the sense that it works like this:
  1. 2go is given files on SD card or cards.
  2. 2go shares said files to the local network, acting as a DLNA server. (There's a menu option for 'refreshing the DLNA database' when you insert a new or updated card).
  3. To play said files, GoFigure is not used directly. Instead, the user runs a completely separate app (a DLNA client) like BubbleUPnP or 8 Player and points it at the 2go to retrieve the DLNA file database.
  4. User selects '2go' as the output device for their DLNA/UPnP application and controls playback from their chosen client application (not GoFigure).
Along the lines of SteveHulk's post, the question that arises for me is: once DLNA/UPnP playback has started, is it 'self-contained' within the 2go, or does the 2go have to stream the bits to the client app which then turns around and streams the bits back to the 2go?

A second question I have is about the MPD playlists. Are they m3u format, or some other format? As far as I can tell, MPD isn't a format in and of itself, it's a Music Player Daemon for Linux.
The playlists on the sd card are indeed m3u format.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #4,804 of 6,288
The playlists on the sd card are indeed m3u format.

I found both the poly and 2go are picky on what software is used to create said m3u though.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #4,805 of 6,288
Dec 18, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #4,806 of 6,288
For Chord to claim "Playback: Roon endpoint, DLNA (server and render), AirPlay, Bluetooth audio (A2DP), Tidal," is massively misleading claim. Tidal is no more a feature of the 2go than say Netflix. Yes both can end up coming out of the 2go but that by no means is a feature of the device. And that's notwithstanding that it's actually very hard to get tidal to play in a meaningful way (airplay does not count). I've used the prescribed third party app and method and all i get are error messages. There's no support on that from Chord so therefore it's a bogus feature.

I agree, it's misleading purporting that you can use Tidal right away with the GoFigure App.

I got my 2Go around a week ago, my main goal was to use it to stream Tidal, fortunately I been able to do so quite easily with the MConnte App and never had any playback issues.

I'm mostly happy with purchase because I can play Tidal conveniently around the house with top quality sound, I use it more now and to me it feels as if the Hugo 2 never sounded any better.

On the other hand, as good as Chord products can be in terms of sound quality (and you have to pay for it) the software associated with the 2Go is not up to the mark and the price point by a long shot, it feels half-backed by all means.

Chord should look at true Tidal implementations such as the Apps from Auralic or Moon, even the old Sony HAP-Z1ES can do Spotify Connect and it's a joy to use.

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #4,807 of 6,288
Chord doesn’t even support Tidal. Me and someone else from head-fi did alot of testing with the Chord Poly a few years ago and I believe Chord also confirmed it at some point and recommended to switch to Qobuz instead.

Not that it is a bad thing, because I also do not think that MQA sounds that great.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #4,809 of 6,288
I agree, it's misleading purporting that you can use Tidal right away with the GoFigure App.

I got my 2Go around a week ago, my main goal was to use it to stream Tidal, fortunately I been able to do so quite easily with the MConnte App and never had any playback issues.

I'm mostly happy with purchase because I can play Tidal conveniently around the house with top quality sound, I use it more now and to me it feels as if the Hugo 2 never sounded any better.

On the other hand, as good as Chord products can be in terms of sound quality (and you have to pay for it) the software associated with the 2Go is not up to the mark and the price point by a long shot, it feels half-backed by all means.

Chord should look at true Tidal implementations such as the Apps from Auralic or Moon, even the old Sony HAP-Z1ES can do Spotify Connect and it's a joy to use.
I agree. I use my Hugo2 and 2go every day and what's frustrating is that mconnect losing connectivity to the 2go and I keep having to log back in. I have none of those problems using the BluOS app on my Bluesound Node 2i streamer which has implemented Tidal Connect. It works seamlessly and great. It never drops out. I put up with it because the sound is just so fantastic. But, I am going to pick up a DAP to test that out as a streaming transport device with native Android Tidal support.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #4,810 of 6,288
I did not have data degradation in mind but audio degradation.

If the data is shipped to my phone and some modification made by an inferior algorithm, such as an alteration in volume level, then I would regard the audio returned to the Hugo 2go as having been corrupted and degraded.

I do not want even the slightest possibility of this.

When the 2go is playing directly to the Hugo from the sd card with my phone disconnected then I am confident that degradation of the sort I have defined is not happening.

Set the volume at maximum. That guarantees it. I understand your worry. I have another DAC/amp combo where the DAC output was slightly too hot for the amp for some reason, and I'd get clipping (the amp doesn't use a volume on input, but after a gain stage for lower distortion). I tried changing the volume in Roon to get things to work better, and noticed a loss of detail.

It would be self-contained, just as it with Roon. All the app is doing is instructing the server to stream to the endpoint/client as far as I'm aware.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #4,811 of 6,288
Here's a strange one...

So having recently purchased a pair a Apple Airpod Pro Max and being very impressed with them over BT, I wanted to have a shoot out using my Hugo2Go with a wired connection these and my Oppo PM1's

In order to do this, I purchased the official apple 3.5mm to lightning cable. BUT I get massive distortion when using this cable with the Hugo!
It also makes the power light on the Hugo flash intermittently, so there is obviously some sort of incompatibility as when tested on other devices with a standard headphone port worked fine.

Any thoughts?

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #4,812 of 6,288
Here's a strange one...

So having recently purchased a pair a Apple Airpod Pro Max and being very impressed with them over BT, I wanted to have a shoot out using my Hugo2Go with a wired connection these and my Oppo PM1's

In order to do this, I purchased the official apple 3.5mm to lightning cable. BUT I get massive distortion when using this cable with the Hugo!
It also makes the power light on the Hugo flash intermittently, so there is obviously some sort of incompatibility as when tested on other devices with a standard headphone port worked fine.

Any thoughts?
Does this mean that you are feeding analogue out from the Hugo2 headphone port, into the apple lightning cable intended for a digital signal?
@Rob Watts what do you think?

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #4,813 of 6,288
Does this mean that you are feeding analogue out from the Hugo2 headphone port, into the apple lightning cable intended for a digital signal?
@Rob Watts what do you think?

Ahh yeah, maybe it is as simple as that. It's not a deal-breaker but I guess there is no way of using the Hugo2 with the new Airpods Max?

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #4,814 of 6,288
Looks like there isn't. All input to the Airpods Max is digital unfortunately, so the Hugo 2 couldn't provide any benefit.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #4,815 of 6,288
Looks like there isn't. All input to the Airpods Max is digital unfortunately, so the Hugo 2 couldn't provide any benefit.

Except the cable should deliver non-compressed audio to the APM.

Are you suggesting the ADC in the cable may be sonically indistinct from the AAC over BT?

Only reason I ask is that with the Sony XM4, I use the wired cable to the hugo2go and find the sound better than the BT alternative.

Curious to hear your opinion. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back