Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #4,816 of 6,290
AAC is audibly lossy, in my experience, so a wired connection has potential to be better. I wonder what ADC set-up they have in the cable, and how good it is. I was more thinking that, due to the multiple conversions, a Hugo 2 would be extreme overkill as a source for the Airpods Max.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #4,817 of 6,290
AAC is audibly lossy, in my experience, so a wired connection has potential to be better. I wonder what ADC set-up they have in the cable, and how good it is. I was more thinking that, due to the multiple conversions, a Hugo 2 would be extreme overkill as a source for the Airpods Max.

That makes sense.

Although the wired connection should be superior audio quality than BT, the implementation of the ADC in the cable is the key factor here.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #4,819 of 6,290
Thank you guys for your detailed responses.

As mentioned it's not a deal-breaker but really wanted to understand what was causing the issue.

You've got me curious as well.

My APM is in USPS limbo somewhere. I fully intended to plug it in to the Hugo/2go and Mojo/poly.

I agree, not a deal breaker, but nonetheless curious behavior.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #4,820 of 6,290

My APM is in USPS limbo somewhere. I fully intended to plug it in to the Hugo/2go and Mojo/poly.

Apple products are designed NOT to interwork smoothly with non-Apple kit.

They want you to have to buy more of their stuff so they can lock you up in their nasty ecosystem and so extract as much money from you as possible.

From proprietary connectors to trying to claim that non-Apple devices are in some way "illegal" or using proprietary data formats for pictures, music, or videos etc etc Apple has form on this.

Don't expect these Apple headphones ever to work properly with something like the Hugo. It ain't ever happening.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #4,821 of 6,290
Apple products are designed NOT to interwork smoothly with non-Apple kit.

They want you to have to buy more of their stuff so they can lock you up in their nasty ecosystem and so extract as much money from you as possible.

From proprietary connectors to trying to claim that non-Apple devices are in some way "illegal" or using proprietary data formats for pictures, music, or videos etc etc Apple has form on this.

Don't expect these Apple headphones ever to work properly with something like the Hugo. It ain't ever happening.

Sounds like challenge accepted. :gs1000smile:

Reading over at the APM thread, people are comparing the APM to the HD800S with amplification. Same for the HD650. I doubt they will supplant my Empyrean/Hugo2go combo. However, the sound leakage is annoying to my wife. Likewise, the sound leakage from her distracts from the music. Hence the ANC aspect of 'phones like the APM and Sony XM4.

Part of the fun of these forums is speculation and observation. I don't think anyone would have predicted such a profound defect connecting a DAC to a headphone.
I'm more curious as to why @Mr X had the experience he did with the APM and Hugo2. The point of the cable is to plug any headphone output into the APM. What is so special/different about the Hugo2 headphone output?

Mine are supposed to arrive in the next couple days. I'll try it on the Mojo and the Hugo 2. If I find anything interesting or different, I'll post an update.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #4,822 of 6,290
Yes, agreed, but I wonder why GoFigure allows entry of those login details.
Good question about why GoFigure App allows entry of Tidal login credentials. Has anyone determined a use-case for these credentials?

BTW: I am new to the Chord Hugo2/2Go and sorry if I may have missed the answer. I did search around a bit.....Thank you head-fi community

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #4,823 of 6,290
Good question about why GoFigure App allows entry of Tidal login credentials. Has anyone determined a use-case for these credentials?

BTW: I am new to the Chord Hugo2/2Go and sorry if I may have missed the answer. I did search around a bit.....Thank you head-fi community

To allow you to use an app such as MConnect to directly stream HiRes via DLNA from Tidal or Qobuz. Otherwise your limited by the app to Airplay on iOS or Bluetooth on Android. 2go doesn't support Chromecast. I don't use Tidal, but read a while back Tidal updated something and might have "broken" the GoFigure connectivity.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #4,824 of 6,290

Reading over at the APM thread, people are comparing the APM to the HD800S with amplification. Same for the HD650. I doubt they will supplant my Empyrean/Hugo2go combo. However, the sound leakage is annoying to my wife. Likewise, the sound leakage from her distracts from the music. Hence the ANC aspect of 'phones like the APM and Sony XM4.

Part of the fun of these forums is speculation and observation. I don't think anyone would have predicted such a profound defect connecting a DAC to a headphone.
I'm more curious as to why @Mr X had the experience he did with the APM and Hugo2. The point of the cable is to plug any headphone output into the APM. What is so special/different about the Hugo2 headphone output?

Mine are supposed to arrive in the next couple days. I'll try it on the Mojo and the Hugo 2. If I find anything interesting or different, I'll post an update.

Well here is a turn-up! The Apple 3.5mm to Lightning has started to work!

Decided to give it one last go before returning the cable. Plugged it in last night and yet again same issue. Went into device settings within Roon and toggled between volume set to "device and "fixed". ( i tried this previously). This time though, I totally powered down the Chord and also quit the Roon app on my phone.

Restarted both and everything works as expected! I can even toggle between fixed and device, and no distortion at all. In fact, it works identically on both settings.

Sounds pretty good too!

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #4,825 of 6,290
Well here is a turn-up! The Apple 3.5mm to Lightning has started to work!

Decided to give it one last go before returning the cable. Plugged it in last night and yet again same issue. Went into device settings within Roon and toggled between volume set to "device and "fixed". ( i tried this previously). This time though, I totally powered down the Chord and also quit the Roon app on my phone.

Restarted both and everything works as expected! I can even toggle between fixed and device, and no distortion at all. In fact, it works identically on both settings.

Sounds pretty good too!

Good to hear.

Mine is still in USPS limbo.

The key for me is classical piano music. Usually that will expose the compression artifacts from BT compression.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,826 of 6,290

I went to the Apple store and auditioned the APM, they sound okay to me. The comparison to the HD800S is ludicrous. Crinacle and Andrew from the Headphone Show both compare them to $100-200 headphones in terms of sound quality. I probably wouldn't have gone that low, but I found my Airpods Pro to perform much better than the APM when taking into account sound quality, weight, relevant use cases like talking on the phone, etc.. I'll take Airpods Pro + HD650 + DragonFly Red over the APM.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #4,827 of 6,290

Why would you do that? Just use your iPhone and bluetooth to it. That is how it was designed to operate. The APM is like a soft top convertible. You wouldn't try to put a high end sunroof on such a car. Just put the top down and enjoy it for what it is.

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #4,828 of 6,290
Why would you do that? Just use your iPhone and bluetooth to it. That is how it was designed to operate. The APM is like a soft top convertible. You wouldn't try to put a high end sunroof on such a car. Just put the top down and enjoy it for what it is.

Why not? I fully intend to enjoy them wireless or wired. I use the Hugo/2go and mojo/poly as music servers using MPD. Sometimes I don't want to use my phone, I just want to stream music without all the distraction. The ANC is the key here. I don't always have the luxury of a quiet room to enjoy my Empyreans or Clears. I have the Elegias, but the lack of bass and sound signature only do well with certain genres. I already do this with my Sony XM4s. The difference between BT and wired is noticeable.

The post you quoted me in is in response to Mr X and the distortion experienced from the Hugo.

Trust me, I'm not going to get involved in the "sounds as good as $2000 reference headphones" argument. Life's too short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back