Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Dec 24, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #4,831 of 6,290
So I now have my hugo2 and 2go working beautifully. No issues whatsoever. Except.... they are fairly noticeably different shades of black! Quite annoying. Anyone else noticed that?

Not for me.

I bought the Hugo 2 and 2 go at the same time. So I would assume they were produced within a similar time span. I don't know how long you've had your Hugo 2, but if it's a couple years old and the 2go new, could be a batch color color issue. Agree that it would be a little annoying. If you get a Valentium case off etsy, you won't notice it anymore. :smile_phones:

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #4,832 of 6,290
Well here is a turn-up! The Apple 3.5mm to Lightning has started to work!

Decided to give it one last go before returning the cable. Plugged it in last night and yet again same issue. Went into device settings within Roon and toggled between volume set to "device and "fixed". ( i tried this previously). This time though, I totally powered down the Chord and also quit the Roon app on my phone.

Restarted both and everything works as expected! I can even toggle between fixed and device, and no distortion at all. In fact, it works identically on both settings.

Sounds pretty good too!

No issues here either.

As for the sound. It is different through the wired connection. I want to say better, but it is too soon to tell.

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #4,833 of 6,290
So I now have my hugo2 and 2go working beautifully. No issues whatsoever. Except.... they are fairly noticeably different shades of black! Quite annoying. Anyone else noticed that?
That is quite strange. Mine seem to be a reasonable match. It may well not be an actual difference in colour, after all black is black right 🙂 but somehow in the texture of the surface finish.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #4,834 of 6,290
Just to chime in, I haven't noticed my units being different shades of black. If they technically are, certainly not noticeable.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #4,835 of 6,290
I just got a Hugo2. It sounds wonderful, and is a clear clear upgrade from my mojo. I am now intrigued by the 2go. But I would like to ask a couple of basic questions, I am a newbie to this stuff.

I am not interested in connecting it through Roon or creating a whole house type system. I have an aging Sonos system, but it works fine for what it is, speakers in the ceiling‘s in various rooms.

My idea of how to use the 2go for my purpose
Would be to be able to walk around my house and go to various rooms, and outside, connected to my Wi-Fi, and stream Qobuz or listen to ripped music from the 2go’s memory card. This would all be exclusively to my headphones. No speakers. So far so good?

in reading the literature on the 2go, I have come away with the following understanding, and that is why I think the above usage would work for me. Please correct me if I my understanding is not accurate.

The 2go uses my homes Wi-Fi system to stream music, such as Qobuz via control being supplied on an app on my iPhone. The iPhone app essentially acts as a control unit, and the Chord software would allow me to access, through it, the Qobuz site, etc. Therefore, my “favorites” on Qobuz should be visible, along with my playlists

I can also access stored music on the microSD card, via, I presume, another app on my iPhone, again, with the iPhone providing the control.

If I am away from my home Wi-Fi, my only option is to use a basic Chord app in order to get basic information to allow listening to music stored on the microSD. Correct?

my final question is about mobility when I am away from home but have access to another Wi-Fi network, such as in a café. Is it a big deal to switch Wi-Fi networks in terms of set up? Or is is it as simple as simply logging on to a new network, and everything works as if it were at home?

Really really appreciate the help. Thank you.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #4,836 of 6,290
I just got a Hugo2. It sounds wonderful, and is a clear clear upgrade from my mojo. I am now intrigued by the 2go. But I would like to ask a couple of basic questions, I am a newbie to this stuff.

I am not interested in connecting it through Roon or creating a whole house type system. I have an aging Sonos system, but it works fine for what it is, speakers in the ceiling‘s in various rooms.

My idea of how to use the 2go for my purpose
Would be to be able to walk around my house and go to various rooms, and outside, connected to my Wi-Fi, and stream Qobuz or listen to ripped music from the 2go’s memory card. This would all be exclusively to my headphones. No speakers. So far so good?

in reading the literature on the 2go, I have come away with the following understanding, and that is why I think the above usage would work for me. Please correct me if I my understanding is not accurate.

The 2go uses my homes Wi-Fi system to stream music, such as Qobuz via control being supplied on an app on my iPhone. The iPhone app essentially acts as a control unit, and the Chord software would allow me to access, through it, the Qobuz site, etc. Therefore, my “favorites” on Qobuz should be visible, along with my playlists

I can also access stored music on the microSD card, via, I presume, another app on my iPhone, again, with the iPhone providing the control.

If I am away from my home Wi-Fi, my only option is to use a basic Chord app in order to get basic information to allow listening to music stored on the microSD. Correct?

my final question is about mobility when I am away from home but have access to another Wi-Fi network, such as in a café. Is it a big deal to switch Wi-Fi networks in terms of set up? Or is is it as simple as simply logging on to a new network, and everything works as if it were at home?

Really really appreciate the help. Thank you.
One thing you have said I think is definitely incorrect.

When out and about with no access to your home or public WiFi then you can make your phone a WiFi hotspot and have the 2go listen to that. You can then use the mobile data on your phone to stream music data from the Internet to your phone and then use your chosen app to stream that onwards to the 2go.

You are not restricted to using the Chord gofigure app to do this.

Also, when out and about and wanting to listen to the sd card, you can again link the phone and the 2go using their hotspot function and control the playback from your phone.

On Android I know from direct experience that BubbleUPnP and M.A.L.P. are at least two apps that will do this playback from the sd card and I am sure there are options for iPhone.

As to the issue of using a public WiFi network in a cafe as you would use your own home network I would think it is unlikely to work, even if the network does not require a password. Most of these networks still require some kind of sign-in protocol and I have no idea how you would make the 2go do that.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #4,837 of 6,290

When out and about with no access to your home or public WiFi then you can make your phone a WiFi hotspot and have the 2go listen to that. You can then use the mobile data on your phone to stream music data from the Internet to your phone and then use your chosen app to stream that onwards to the 2go.

Also, when out and about and wanting to listen to the sd card, you can again link the phone and the 2go using their hotspot function and control the playback from your phone.

On Android I know from direct experience that BubbleUPnP and M.A.L.P. are at least two apps that will do this playback from the sd card and I am sure there are options for iPhone.

As to the issue of using a public WiFi network in a cafe as you would use your own home network I would think it is unlikely to work, even if the network does not require a password. Most of these networks still require some kind of sign-in protocol and I have no idea how you would make the 2go do that.

thank you. I appreciate the reply. I’m still not sure I quite get it. Perhaps there is a video that I can find. As an aside, would it be possible, for example, to use Qobuz or Tidal, for that matter, to download music and play it away from the home. Qobuz has and off-line function that allows you to listen to downloaded, it, but not necessarily purchased, music when you are out of Wi-Fi range. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #4,838 of 6,290
Anybody. Please. After reading parts of this thread and discussions back-and-forth, I’m confused. I would like to buy a 2go. But…

Q: Can I download Music from Title or Qobuz and use it in off-line mode when away from a wifi connection?

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #4,839 of 6,290
Anybody. Please. After reading parts of this thread and discussions back-and-forth, I’m confused. I would like to buy a 2go. But…

Q: Can I download Music from Title or Qobuz and use it in off-line mode when away from a wifi connection?
I use my Chord Hugo 2/2Go is 2 different ways. First, using mconnect from my iPhone as a controller so that Tidal will stream directly to the 2go and I get the best sound quality possible with this set up. Second, I use Airplay to stream via Airplay from my iPhone to the togo. Since I am using the ios native Tidal app, I can download music to my iPHone and stream it to the Togo.

Actually, I am at this very moment streaming downloaded music to my 2go from my iPhone via Airplay because the wifi in the condo I am in right now isn't good enough for Tidal streaming so it buffers too much. I can Airplay with the 2go in hotspot mode or regular network mode. It actually sounds pretty good. Better than I thought it would.

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,840 of 6,290
I use my Chord Hugo 2/2Go is 2 different ways. First, using mconnect from my iPhone as a controller so that Tidal will stream directly to the 2go and I get the best sound quality possible with this set up. Second, I use Airplay to stream via Airplay from my iPhone to the togo. Since I am using the ios native Tidal app, I can download music to my iPHone and stream it to the Togo.

Actually, I am at this very moment streaming downloaded music to my 2go from my iPhone via Airplay because the wifi in the condo I am in right now isn't good enough for Tidal streaming so it buffers too much. I can Airplay with the 2go in hotspot mode or regular network mode. It actually sounds pretty good. Better than I thought it would.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I really appreciate it.
I recently read that Airplay in hotspot mode is not lossless. It is lossless, as I understand, in Wi-Fi mode. Glad it sounds pretty good in a hotspot mode.

Thank again, I am beginning to understand the 2Go better.

Dec 26, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #4,841 of 6,290

For your last use case, I use a pocket router that lets me connect to the password protected wifi network and then my iPhone and Poly or 2go will both connect to my router and it works great.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #4,842 of 6,290
Just got a 2go - not impressed.

Am connected and playing music via Airplay - and moved rooms and found sound was stuttering.

Not an issue - I have a 2nd network so could be my phone or the 2go strayed onto it. So tried to open Gofigure app - and jt just won’t find the damn device..... that I am currently playing music on with the same phone!!

I then noticed I have 2 Bluetooth options - I guess one is Hugo and one is 2go? Or one is going to other way to connect to the app?

Anyway both now connected... and any timeI try and choose Airplay from my iPhone, it now reverts back to Bluetooth!

And I still can’t connect the app to the device even though now I am listening on Bluetooth and 2 Bluetooth options are connected

Was rather hoping this was going to simple :frowning2:

Rant over - comments welcomed! :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #4,843 of 6,290
Just got a 2go - not impressed.

Am connected and playing music via Airplay - and moved rooms and found sound was stuttering.

Not an issue - I have a 2nd network so could be my phone or the 2go strayed onto it. So tried to open Gofigure app - and jt just won’t find the damn device..... that I am currently playing music on with the same phone!!

I then noticed I have 2 Bluetooth options - I guess one is Hugo and one is 2go? Or one is going to other way to connect to the app?

Anyway both now connected... and any timeI try and choose Airplay from my iPhone, it now reverts back to Bluetooth!

And I still can’t connect the app to the device even though now I am listening on Bluetooth and 2 Bluetooth options are connected

Was rather hoping this was going to simple :frowning2:

Rant over - comments welcomed! :)
I absolutely love the sound of the Hugo2/2go combination. But, I've decided to pick up a DAP to connect it to my Hugo 2 to see how well that works. The biggest problem I have is losing connectivity from mconnect to the 2go. I have a restart it all the time and it's getting tiring.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #4,844 of 6,290
Newbie Question:
Just got the Hugo 2 and the 2Go set up. I am using my iPhone’s Airplay to cast Qobuz to the Hugo—seems to work well, but It does seem strange to follow the Chord manual and set the iPhone’s volume to max? I would think that would over drive and distort?

Question: I see that I get a trial Roon subscription. But, I don’t have a Roon device other than my Bluenode 2i which I use to stream to my 2 stereo system. So, my newbie question:
I have an SD card in the 2Go with my music files, do I use a Roon app to play them or is Roon not really set up to do that?
I have been playing from the SD card using 8Player Pro, which seems to work okay. Will Roon do the same thing, but better? Or not at all?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #4,845 of 6,290
Newbie Question:
Just got the Hugo 2 and the 2Go set up. I am using my iPhone’s Airplay to cast Qobuz to the Hugo—seems to work well, but It does seem strange to follow the Chord manual and set the iPhone’s volume to max? I would think that would over drive and distort?

Question: I see that I get a trial Roon subscription. But, I don’t have a Roon nucleus or Roon system in my house. So, my newbie question:
I have an SD card in the 2Go with my music files, do I use a Roon app to play them or is Roon not really set up to do that?
I have been playing from the SD card using 8Player Pro, which seems to work okay. Will Roon do the same thing, but better? Or not at all?
Thanks!
the problem is the opposite. If you have the iPhone volume set too low, then you will have lots of noise as the signal to noise ratio becomes intolerable at around 5-6 mark on the iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back