Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #4,846 of 6,310
the problem is the opposite. If you have the iPhone volume set too low, then you will have lots of noise as the signal to noise ratio becomes intolerable at around 5-6 mark on the iPhone.
Thanks a lot. Doing more research on the Roon ecosystem, I realize I need a Roon core device or it’s no go with Roon, unless I want to use my computer, which won’t really work because I don’t want to keep it on all the time. Therefore, it doesn’t seem Roon ads much unless there is some functionality with streaming Qobuz or using the Hugo’s internal SD card that I’m not aware of....

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #4,847 of 6,310
Thanks a lot. Doing more research on the Roon ecosystem, I realize I need a Roon core device or it’s no go with Roon, unless I want to use my computer, which won’t really work because I don’t want to keep it on all the time. Therefore, it doesn’t seem Roon ads much unless there is some functionality with streaming Qobuz or using the Hugo’s internal SD card that I’m not aware of....
Yeah without a core, Roon is pretty much useless. It won't help with the sd card in the 2go either. I have all of my music on a 1tb micro sd card, in an adapter, in the sd card slot of my macbook air. It works well as a core, as long as it's on a network, Roon is running, and the lid is up. But it's not ideal.

As I use my MBA as my main computer, I will try using an older mac mini next. It also has an sd card slot so it should work well, and as a bonus act as a streamer and maybe library manager. Another option is to do a ROCK install on a 128gb thumb drive, connected to your NAS library if you have one.

edit: I neglected to see that you already reached some of the same conclusions above, didn't take note when replying.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #4,848 of 6,310
Just got a 2go - not impressed.

Am connected and playing music via Airplay - and moved rooms and found sound was stuttering.

Not an issue - I have a 2nd network so could be my phone or the 2go strayed onto it. So tried to open Gofigure app - and jt just won’t find the damn device..... that I am currently playing music on with the same phone!!

I then noticed I have 2 Bluetooth options - I guess one is Hugo and one is 2go? Or one is going to other way to connect to the app?

Anyway both now connected... and any timeI try and choose Airplay from my iPhone, it now reverts back to Bluetooth!

And I still can’t connect the app to the device even though now I am listening on Bluetooth and 2 Bluetooth options are connected

Was rather hoping this was going to simple :frowning2:

Rant over - comments welcomed! :)

You shouldn't be finding the Hugo 2's built-in Bluetooth. That only activates when the Hugo 2 is in Bluetooth mode, and that will cut off the USB input from the 2go.

Have you tried hotspot mode for the 2go instead? That might work better if you're just using your phone to stream. Then you don't have to use Airplay at all.

Newbie Question:
Just got the Hugo 2 and the 2Go set up. I am using my iPhone’s Airplay to cast Qobuz to the Hugo—seems to work well, but It does seem strange to follow the Chord manual and set the iPhone’s volume to max? I would think that would over drive and distort?

Question: I see that I get a trial Roon subscription. But, I don’t have a Roon device other than my Bluenode 2i which I use to stream to my 2 stereo system. So, my newbie question:
I have an SD card in the 2Go with my music files, do I use a Roon app to play them or is Roon not really set up to do that?
I have been playing from the SD card using 8Player Pro, which seems to work okay. Will Roon do the same thing, but better? Or not at all?
Thanks!

The Hugo 2 has it's own volume control. You want to use that, and not the volume control on your iPhone. If you use the iPhone's volume control, it will degrade the quality of the music before sending it to the 2go. However, as with the above person, have you tried hotspot mode with the 2go? That will be higher quality than Airplay, as it will stream using wireless directly.

For the contents of the micro sd cards, you need an app like Rigelian or 8player to play the contents of your cards.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #4,850 of 6,310
However, as with the above person, have you tried hotspot mode with the 2go? That will be higher quality than Airplay, as it will stream using wireless directly.
I had not heard that Airplay was of a lesser quality than using my iphone as a hotspot. I recall reading that Airplay quality was WiFi quality and quite stable.
I had thought that hotspot mode was basically for use when I was away from my home WiFi? For sure, Airplay is lesser quality than Hotspot WiFi?

I would appreciated help with understanding the above.

As a follow up to my earlier confused comments about Roon. I installed a trial version of on a PC that I don’t use a lot since I am mostly in the Apple world now. I was pretty blown away by the excellent user experience. It’s great the way it integrates my ripped CDs stored on the PC with the music that I have purchased as downloads. It found my old Sonos system and my Bluenode 2i. Pretty cool.

So, I am now confused about the hotspot reference above (as the newbie I am). I assume that Roon is using my home WiFi to stream wirelessly from my PC to my 2Go and that the quality should be excellent. The PC is hard wired to the router.

Comments and corrections appreciated very much.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #4,851 of 6,310
If you can't hear the difference between Airplay and higher resolution/bitrate tracks, don't worry about it.
If you haven't tried higher resolution/bitrate tracks, you should. One method is to connect Hugo2 directly with a usb cable.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #4,852 of 6,310
It's not that I can't hear the difference, I just haven't given it a try yet because I thought I read somewhere that Airplay was wifi quality.

Having said that, I think I maybe making things more complicated than they are.

Yesterday, I installed Roon on a PC. Roon has found the 2Go/Hugo. My iphone is acting as a controller via the Roon app on my iphone. I believe that for this setup, it's all wifi, no Airplay. Am I describing how this fits together correctly? I hope so. The goal is to get the best audio quality.

I think that my Airplay confusion came from initially not using Roon, but instead at home, listening to Qobuz by using Airplay with Qobuz as a stand alone and not part of Roon. I guess that now that I am using Roon, there is just no reason to use Airplay at all or use Quobuz outside of Roon. If I decide to not use Roon, then, I am now learning that it's best to not use Airplay, but instead use the phone in hotspot mode connected to my home wifi. Does this paragraph sound correct? (Thanks, only have had the 2Go/Hugo for a few days and I'm a newbie)

Now that I seem to be entering the Roon world, the next issue is what to do if I am away and have no wifi. I will have to try and figure this out.

Thanks for your help.
Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #4,853 of 6,310
I had not heard that Airplay was of a lesser quality than using my iphone as a hotspot. I recall reading that Airplay quality was WiFi quality and quite stable.
I had thought that hotspot mode was basically for use when I was away from my home WiFi? For sure, Airplay is lesser quality than Hotspot WiFi?

As a follow up to my earlier confused comments about Roon. I installed a trial version of on a PC that I don’t use a lot since I am mostly in the Apple world now. I was pretty blown away by the excellent user experience. It’s great the way it integrates my ripped CDs stored on the PC with the music that I have purchased as downloads. It found my old Sonos system and my Bluenode 2i. Pretty cool.

So, I am now confused about the hotspot reference above (as the newbie I am). I assume that Roon is using my home WiFi to stream wirelessly from my PC to my 2Go and that the quality should be excellent. The PC is hard wired to the router.

Comments and corrections appreciated very much.

There is no such thing as Wifi quality. Airplay goes over Wifi. If you use your iPhone as hotspot, you use Airplay via Wifi of your iPhone.

I think what you read is that UPnP/DLNA support higher quality audio than Airplay. However with 2-channel audio, Airplay is fine. The Hugo 2 has algoritms which “upscales” audio. Unless you are a diehard hardcore audiophile which must listen to music in 192khz @ 24-bit audio only ofcourse.

I don’t think Roon quality is that good to be honest. Audirvana sounds better which uses UPnP / DLNA instead of Roon their RAAT protocol. However this was based on an older version of Roon when I had a free trail. Maybe things have changed with a few updates.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #4,854 of 6,310
There is no such thing as Wifi quality. Airplay goes over Wifi. If you use your iPhone as hotspot, you use Airplay via Wifi of your iPhone.

I think what you read is that UPnP/DLNA support higher quality audio than Airplay. However with 2-channel audio, Airplay is fine. The Hugo 2 has algoritms which “upscales” audio. Unless you are a diehard hardcore audiophile which must listen to music in 192khz @ 24-bit audio only ofcourse.

I don’t think Roon quality is that good to be honest. Audirvana sounds better which uses UPnP / DLNA instead of Roon their RAAT protocol. However this was based on an older version of Roon when I had a free trail. Maybe things have changed with a few updates.
Ok. Thanks. What I meant by WiFi quality—perhaps again a misunderstanding—is that it is bit perfect digital, uncompressed, then it’s converted by a DAC to analogue. This as opposed to something like Bluetooth, which at this point, is limited in its ability to transmit bit perfect digital. Again, I am a newbie.

I bought the 2Go thinking that it was a more elegant solution than connecting my Hugo2 to a DAP via a coax cable. Perhaps the compromise is loss of sound quality? Because now I am hearing that my DAP, a Hiby R6, which streams Qobuz and has an internal SD card, connected via coax is a superior audio solution than using Roon with WiFi or Qobuz connected via Airplay.

I apologize for the many questions. I will consider returning the 2Go.

By way of background, I just bought a lightly used Focal Utopia and just want to get the best audio I can while having the freedom to use a headphone in different rooms and in the yard. I just didn’t like walking around with a connected DAP and the Hugo. Audio quality is very important to me. I do buy HD music from Qobuz. So perhaps the 2Go is really no substitute for a physically connected DAP.

Thanks again.

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #4,855 of 6,310
It's not that I can't hear the difference, I just haven't given it a try yet because I thought I read somewhere that Airplay was wifi quality.

Having said that, I think I maybe making things more complicated than they are.

Yesterday, I installed Roon on a PC. Roon has found the 2Go/Hugo. My iphone is acting as a controller via the Roon app on my iphone. I believe that for this setup, it's all wifi, no Airplay. Am I describing how this fits together correctly? I hope so. The goal is to get the best audio quality.

I think that my Airplay confusion came from initially not using Roon, but instead at home, listening to Qobuz by using Airplay with Qobuz as a stand alone and not part of Roon. I guess that now that I am using Roon, there is just no reason to use Airplay at all or use Quobuz outside of Roon. If I decide to not use Roon, then, I am now learning that it's best to not use Airplay, but instead use the phone in hotspot mode connected to my home wifi. Does this paragraph sound correct? (Thanks, only have had the 2Go/Hugo for a few days and I'm a newbie)

Now that I seem to be entering the Roon world, the next issue is what to do if I am away and have no wifi. I will have to try and figure this out.

Thanks for your help.
Much appreciated.

I see the confusion now. "Hotspot mode" has nothing to do with your home wifi. It is where the 2go acts like a wireless router, creating its own network, and you connect your phone to it directly. You can enable it in the GoFigure app.

Since you're using Roon now, and connecting over your own wifi network -- if it works well enough, use that I reckon. That's what I'm using.

The reason for not using Airplay is that it wont always be bit-perfect. The sample rate of the track may be changed, and/or other audio from the transmitting device (phone or computer) may be mixed in. Likewise, make sure the volume control in Roon for the Hugo 2 is set to "fixed" so that Roon doesn't alter the music either.

Who said that a Hiby R6, connected via coax, would be superior?

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #4,856 of 6,310
I see the confusion now. "Hotspot mode" has nothing to do with your home wifi. It is where the 2go acts like a wireless router, creating its own network, and you connect your phone to it directly. You can enable it in the GoFigure app.

Since you're using Roon now, and connecting over your own wifi network -- if it works well enough, use that I reckon. That's what I'm using.

The reason for not using Airplay is that it wont always be bit-perfect. The sample rate of the track may be changed, and/or other audio from the transmitting device (phone or computer) may be mixed in. Likewise, make sure the volume control in Roon for the Hugo 2 is set to "fixed" so that Roon doesn't alter the music either.

Who said that a Hiby R6, connected via coax, would be superior?

I can’t thank you enough. I really appreciate you sticking with me on this.

I think I have things figured out. Somehow when I set up the Roon on my PC it created two devices, 2go and 2go/Hugo. Once I eliminated the 2go as a Roon component, Roon now streams with Wifi-not Airplay—at above 44.1 depending on the source.

Thanks also for explaining the hot spot feature. Very helpful. Very appreciated.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #4,857 of 6,310
Cheers!
Just got my 2go after being a long time PolyMojo user. I have had great success using MALP on my Android phone to control music playback when Poly is in hotspot mode. I have now tried to setup 2go in the same way but there is no way MALP is recognizing the 2go when connected to its hotspot, getting the "EtrackUrirror" message.
Any of you been able to get this to work like it does with the Poly?

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #4,858 of 6,310
Audio quality is very important to me.
My settings for Roon.
Perhaps this will help you.
1.png
2.png

3.png
4.png

5.png

6.png
12.png

7.png

8.png
9.png
10.png
11.png

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #4,860 of 6,310
Out of interest, has anyone been able to get HQ Player working with the 2Go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back