Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 22, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #3,466 of 6,295
Thanks for the effort but it still doesn't tell me how to make individual album playlists for each album in one go.
Making an album playlist isn't hard... 🙂

In Windows, for example, (not a general case):

1) take your sd card music library and mount it on your pc;
2) open a command prompt window;
3) navigate to a folder on the sd card containing the tracks for an album;
4) execute "listdir *.flac >> playlist.m3u"

You now have a playlist.

Obviously this only works if your tracks are organised in folders by album. If your albums are not explicitly represented in the folder structure but are only implicit in the track id3 tags then you'd be obliged to use something like MALP to construct an album from the tags and then make a playlist for it. The example is to illustrate how easy it is to make a playlist. It is just a text file.

The trick is to do this automatically for hundreds of albums. That is harder. The other trick is to make playlists that are acceptable to gofigure.

At least, having made a few playlists according to the Chord video, I am now able to put the sd card back in the pc and see what was actually put on it.

If I return to the issue of automating playlist creation for my library then at least I now have a clear idea of what I have to create.

I would be prompted to return to the issue if I think any of the following are true:

1) significant improvements are made to the gofigure's risible music player user interface;
2) I form the view that there is a SQ bump in Bluetooth-only mode (the jury is out);
3) it becomes clear that using WiFi in any form is a problem.

I did notice that, using gofigure to play a playlist, I could start the hugo 2go and then turn off my phone (so the hugo 2go was completely on its own) and it would trundle through the whole playlist. That's already a fairly big deal for me as it shows the hugo 2go can operate totally independently.

I am officially done posting on here. It seems some have nothing better to do than religiously attack everyone and anyone who dares express an opinion different to theirs.
If I may borrow some of your arsenal: Just RETURN the damn thing. It is CLEARLY the best option for everyone BUT most of all for yourself.
It's really not that easy 🙂🙂

Like cocaine, if you use it then you know it's harmful but when you're on the high... Oh man 😳

I am officially done posting on here. It seems some have nothing better to do than religiously attack everyone and anyone who dares express an opinion different to theirs.
If I may borrow some of your arsenal: Just RETURN the damn thing. It is CLEARLY the best option for everyone BUT most of all for yourself.
Don't leave. Stick around. Every forum needs good contributors. Every forum has a wide spectrum of quality in the postings. 😔

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #3,468 of 6,295
Thats the bit I'm after! Have you found a way?
I have not found a way explicitly, but here's how I'll go about it if I determine to try...

First off I'll be doing this on a Windows pc using batch files (scripts) executed from the cmd window. If you are an iOS user look away now because I have no idea how to do this on iOS.

I'll note that in the case of my library the leaf folders in the folder tree correspond to albums so they contain a list of track files and a cover art file. The folder tree itself is a bit of a mess but things like jriver media center, BubbleUPnP etc don't care about that since they work with track id3 data and not the folder structure. This is why, as my library grew, I never tidied up the folders.

I would not try to treat anything resembling a general case.

Gofigure seems to require a flat folder structure of one level only from the root of the sd card and the playlist files all to to be in the root directory.

The first step would be to use a script (examples of which I have seen online) to flatten the folder structure to just one level deep, which would be the album folders.

Then I'd use a script that cranks through the folders in the root directory one by one creating the playlists. The issue is naming the playlists automatically. I would choose between using the folder name of the album folder - fully automatic but would make some f*gly playlist names, or having the script pause in each folder to prompt me for a playlist name which is marginal as far as my patience is concerned but, since this is a one-off effort, might be quicker than learning enough script syntax to do it fully automatically 😀

After that I'd think it was job done. 😀😀

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #3,469 of 6,295
I have not found a way explicitly, but here's how I'll go about it if I determine to try...

First off I'll be doing this on a Windows pc using batch files (scripts) executed from the cmd window. If you are an iOS user look away now because I have no idea how to do this on iOS.

I'll note that in the case of my library the leaf folders in the folder tree correspond to albums so they contain a list of track files and a cover art file. The folder tree itself is a bit of a mess but things like jriver media center, BubbleUPnP etc don't care about that since they work with track id3 data and not the folder structure. This is why, as my library grew, I never tidied up the folders.

I would not try to treat anything resembling a general case.

Gofigure seems to require a flat folder structure of one level only from the root of the sd card and the playlist files all to to be in the root directory.

The first step would be to use a script (examples of which I have seen online) to flatten the folder structure to just one level deep, which would be the album folders.

Then I'd use a script that cranks through the folders in the root directory one by one creating the playlists. The issue is naming the playlists automatically. I would choose between using the folder name of the album folder - fully automatic but would make some f*gly playlist names, or having the script pause in each folder to prompt me for a playlist name which is marginal as far as my patience is concerned but, since this is a one-off effort, might be quicker than learning enough script syntax to do it fully automatically 😀

After that I'd think it was job done. 😀😀
We’ll await your EXACT procedure for Windows and Mac. Nice to see you put in some work my apprentice.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #3,470 of 6,295
We’ll await your EXACT procedure for Windows and Mac. Nice to see you put in some work my apprentice.
If I do solve this problem it won't be thanks to any input YOU made. Quite the contrary.

You said earlier that you were leaving this discussion. Please keep your word and take your passive-aggressive arrogance with you.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #3,472 of 6,295
No wonder paying customers get frustrated from a lack of support from Chord, more like. I was staunchly against all the backlash at the beginning because very little time had passed, but as I said at the time that goodwill only lasts so long.

Solving the problems seems to require technical knowledge that is not available to us. Heck, I'd love to know more technical details about how wi-fi works so I can write a better review, but at my present level of knowledge, I don't think I can be of much help.

A real problem with the discussion here is that the random, uninformed speculation about the causes, such as it being the model of the wifi chip, or angry claims that the 2go is just an RPI, do not help the situation at all, but just piss off the Chord staff. Heck, I wouldn't blame them if they gave up posting on here at all beyond "Contact support". Honestly, unless someone here is an electronics engineer with experience in wifi equipment design, knowing any technicalities about what is used in the 2go isn't going to be of any use.

That makes us pretty powerless, and it sux. Wifi is 3rd behind printers and Bluetooth that drives me insane when things don't work.

I'm not apologising for Chord -- if you've actually taken the time to read my posts, you'd see I've duplicated some of the issues people had. I'm subscribed to the thread because I want to see what issues people are having, and if they get solved. But if people are going to start making personal attacks against me because I wish to be reasonable, and not join their rage-against-2go-issues-and-Chord bandwagon, I just wont bother.

Raging and throwing around random speculation about things we only have very limited knowledge about isn't going to solve anything. Chord duplicating problems and finding the causes is. Yeah, it's great when it works, and we all want it to work perfectly for us, but sometimes we can't get what we want, and we have to decide if it's worth spending the energy on anger over it.

You probably know this but I should add it anyway. The green filter on the Hugo 2 is to filter out HF noise caused by high res files.

Thanks for reminding me of that. IMO, it's probably worth considering, if one finds high-res material that has a lot of ADC noise (eg: the 2L mastered catalog), re-sampling it down to 96k with suitable, high-quality software if using on portable gear. That's a good space-saver. That's a whole other discussion though.

Edit: Tried 192k again over wifi in the evening as I said I would, and it drops completely out after a minute.
Edit 2: My 2.4 kHz was on channel 1, as were my neighbour's routers. I've changed it to channel 11, which seems fairly clear (according to Wifi Explorer) and listening to 192k again over wifi it took much longer to drop out, and then only for < 2 seconds. So that un-scientific experiment suggests to me that wifi channel congestion is an issue.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #3,473 of 6,295
Wifi is 3rd behind printers and Bluetooth that drives me insane when things don't work.
Be careful around those printers... they have built-in stress hormone detectors. If you really REALLY need that hard copy you can guarantee that all you will get is a succession of inky paper concertinas. 🙂

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #3,474 of 6,295
So, today has been a marathon of 4hours of headphone listening to tracks upsampled to dsd256 and 384 pcm with nary a glitch. This never happened before with upsampled material so I have to put it down to the dedicated 2.4ghz band which is reserved for the h2go. Now my neighbours are far enough for their wifi to not penetrate so I can't comment on how it would be in a 'busy' neighbourhood.
Raging and throwing around random speculation about things we only have very limited knowledge about isn't going to solve anything.
Totally agree. Quite a few posts back I actually wrote a post appreciating Chord for creating a device like the 2go, but its very frustrating to run into problems with the 2go on a recurring basis.
I feel Chord has handled its PR with 2go owners badly. Owners feel let down by their lack of pro active presence on the forum. All that Chord needs to do (and should have done from the very beginning) is to have a support guy here in the forum.

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,475 of 6,295
No, it's not. When something like a wifi or network scanner tries to determine what a product is, it matches probe data against a list of known products and suggests the nearest one, which may simply be so because of the network-facing electronics. It's no surprise if the wi-fi chip is the same as used on something like a Raspberry Pi or similar.

Here's a pic I took just now of the inside. It's most definitely NOT a Raspberry Pi, nor any off-the-shelf device. It's obviously some kind of custom micro-computer.

No wonder Matt and John get frustrated with people on here when this kind of silliness is posted.
I do wonder at some of the complete piffle I'm reading on this site.

The picture above is irrefutable evidence that the 2go contains a bespoke microcomputer designed for the purpose and is not an RPi.

Quite apart from that does anybody seriously believe that a company like Chord, that has built up an entirely well-deserved reputation for excellence, would actually put an RPi in a case and sell it for £1000? Seriously?

If they did that and anybody else just undid four little hex bolts and put the picture on the Internet then their reputation would be instantly destroyed. On all their products. Forever.

So Chord would chuck away 30 years of hard work raising themselves to be a world-class brand just for that?

Get real, people.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3,476 of 6,295
I feel Chord has handled its PR with 2go owners badly. Owners feel let down by their lack of pro active presence on the forum. All that Chord needs to do (and should have done from the very beginning) is to have a support guy here in the forum.

I'm not defending them on the 2go troubles, but their presence here is a privilege not a right. We weren't promised support via head-fi.org when we bought the 2go. Actually, a lot of manufactures aren't really a presence in their threads. We're lucky to have the feedback that we get straight from the horse's mouth.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,477 of 6,295
I'm sitting in the park listening to Supersilent 13 and 14 using gofigure over Bluetooth to "control" (☺️) the playback.

For those of you unfamiliar with the "music" of Supersilent, then you might get the idea if you imagine the band members hurling their instruments against the walls of the studio and then kicking them when they're down.

The hugo 2go rig makes even this sound ridiculously good. Atrocious amounts of subtle detail and a dark dark silence between sounds.

Just a little niggle though... Gofigure disconnects during the playback so when the playlist has ended I have to re-establish the Bluetooth connection before I can select another playlist. This process is a little slow.

Is there some reason why gofigure can't stay connected until it is dismissed from the app drawer?

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #3,478 of 6,295
Is there some reason why gofigure can't stay connected until it is dismissed from the app drawer?
On iOS GoFigure stays connected for a surprisingly long time so I’m wondering if your Android phone is killing the background process for memory/power management? I’ve not had an Android device for a while but you should see if you can exclude GoFigure from the power management settings.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #3,479 of 6,295
On iOS GoFigure stays connected for a surprisingly long time so I’m wondering if your Android phone is killing the background process for memory/power management? I’ve not had an Android device for a while but you should see if you can exclude GoFigure from the power management settings.
I'll check that, thanks.

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #3,480 of 6,295
I'm not defending them on the 2go troubles, but their presence here is a privilege not a right. We weren't promised support via head-fi.org when we bought the 2go. Actually, a lot of manufactures aren't really a presence in their threads. We're lucky to have the feedback that we get straight from the horse's mouth.
Try walking into a hi end restaurant of repute, order something and if its not upto the standards the restaurant claims for itself, see if you'd be happy to send an email to their support staff.
The Hi end audio business is no different from the business of gourmet restaurants. Personal service should be very important to manufacturers as its servicing a niche clientele.
Chord should feel privileged that I spent upwards of 3.5k on an h2go. Not the other way around.
For what its worth, I've expressed my gratitude
towards Chord. However its not my job, nor Radnor's to figure out the 2gos wifi problems and post solutions. Its Chords job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back