Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #3,436 of 6,314
What I was thinking, but didn’t state in my previous post, is that Airplay maxes out at 16/44 so if Poly (and similarly 2Go) can’t handle that, I’m not surprised to see what others are reporting about Hi Res streaming. That said, it’s peculiar that Qobuz streaming would be working well while Airplay is not.

It confused me too, although I find Airplay pretty jittery and annoying most of the time when using non-apple products. Between apple devices seems a lot more stable and usable.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #3,438 of 6,314
Hmmm.. maybe there's something specific about my setup. Will have to tinker... without causing the wifi to break and the associated civil unrest (akin to world war 3) that occurs in the house!

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #3,439 of 6,314
from Jussi (HQPLAYER):
"For some comparison, on my home/office WiFi network based on two HPE 802.11ac AP’s I can do 8 channels of DSD256 from my Lenovo ThinkPad laptop connected to WiFi, to HQPlayer NAA (on Ethernet side).

That is about 86 Mbps constant"

would have been nice if CHORD had a wireless expert at the same level as Watts on DAC design. Use your brother in laws dev shop in the philippines and this is what you get.

Hmmm.. maybe there's something specific about my setup. Will have to tinker... without causing the wifi to break and the associated civil unrest (akin to world war 3) that occurs in the house!
use 2.4GHZ exclusively for you 2GO... just give it a different PWD... all the other devices will then default to 5G.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3,440 of 6,314
use 2.4GHZ exclusively for you 2GO... just give it a different PWD... all the other devices will then default to 5G.

I'll give that a go :)

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #3,441 of 6,314
i get it. will test... curious... but TBH the whole purpose of 2GO is to have a nice streamlined package! ; )

I understand, but we have to narrow down the issues first. good luck in setting it up. Just make sure client mode is connected to your main router before snapping in the Ethernet cable.

I'm trying to stay on point since I'm just enjoying my gear while on my multi-year hiatus from this site.

I will diverge a little bit as I can't help these thoughts. Don't flame, just thoughts...:

George R.R Martin === Rob Watts
Dan and Dave === J.F & C.E., etc.

You know how that turned out...

C.E. don't even care to start their own 2Go thread. Ever noticed that. All other Chord devices have official threads. Seems like they moved on to their next movie hit.

YES 2GO is rasberry PI

Don't find it surprising. Raspberry Pi is common on $3000 streamers. Once you open them up and check the internals, it's a RPi. That's why I think my next digital streamer 2.0 can compete with the $10K mains streamers. I'm using the same software as $10K streamers, better power supply, better sound bus and a better secret ingredient I'm hoping will work in theory if I complete end of summer.

Anyhow, thanks for verifying. If it is indeed a RPi, Chord should see if the pops and clicks relate to Ethernet and USB sharing the same bus. Very common in older RPi boards. I never had an issue with this as I'm conscious of the issue, so I workaround. Zero fan of USB audio anything, so I'm never going to use USB + portability so never Ethernet. RPi4 is okay tho as it's fixed in modern Pis, but RPi4 small footprint boards yet to be released ATM.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,442 of 6,314
Some thoughts. Take from them what you will.

from Jussi (HQPLAYER):
"For some comparison, on my home/office WiFi network based on two HPE 802.11ac AP’s I can do 8 channels of DSD256 from my Lenovo ThinkPad laptop connected to WiFi, to HQPlayer NAA (on Ethernet side).

That is about 86 Mbps constant"

would have been nice if CHORD had a wireless expert at the same level as Watts on DAC design. Use your brother in laws dev shop in the philippines and this is what you get.

There has been a lot of jumping around in the discussion between topics, which I think is confusing. I'm using Roon to the 2go/Hugo 2 and even over Ethernet, there seems to be the occasional clicking and popping. I'm going to test with the new firmware to see if it has improved. I'll include 192k music.

Of resolution, I wouldn't bother trying to deal with music above 192k or DSD128. Given even a lot of 192k music has a lot of ADC noise in the higher frequencies (depending on the ADC used) you're fussing over inaudible noise. 48, 88.2 or 96k is arguably more sane.

I don't know what system Jussi uses to run NAA, but his test is between a ThinkPad and a full-sized router. The 2go is not a full-sized router. The results I get over wireless with the 2go, are better than if I set up a Raspberry Pi and its in-built wifi, which can barely even stay connected to a wireless router a few meters away, let alone stream music.

The question about the built-in wifi only having one channel has me asking more questions, and not assuming simply that it should have more channels or 5Ghz, as we don't know what trade-offs, if any, were made so that 2go would be able to fit into a small box and have sufficient battery life, and which were unnecessary to get reliable streaming. Armchair speculation about chips is just silly.

That all being said, Wi-Fi is a load of crap at best. I have always taken the time to lay out physical ethernet connections for all the computers and other devices I use, where possible, so as to avoid it. I'm lucky in that I live in a house with only a few neighbours around that have wi-fi, and I, being more technologically aware than them, bought a multi-channel router, and also have an older Apple Time Machine which I've carefully placed on non-conflicting channels. I reckon that if you live in an apartment and you're seeing a dozen or more routers from your computer's wifi panel, then you most definitely need to be more proactive in avoiding using wi-fi on the 2go.

Lastly, if it is driving you insane, send the thing back.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #3,443 of 6,314
2GO WIFI HACK - REPORT 1: again change PWD on 2.4GHZ net so that ONLY 2GO has 2.4GHZ
Wish I could but the deco m9plus clubs both bands under one password and won't let me manually choose one over the other in the router settings. Im not about to buy a new one, I just got this one before the 2go arrived.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #3,445 of 6,314
Should be advanced setting that allow you to break them up?
I just discovered that if I put the deco into AP mode I can create a guest network just on the 5ghz band. Have to toggle the 'disable from main network' button to off. Now both main and guest networks can see roon. Let's see if this works.
Thanks for your inputs on this issue.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #3,447 of 6,314
My memory is not so good, but I think if someone has a travel router with client mode then can plugin a Ethernet cable from the 2Go to the travel router. The travel router will be a WiFi client to your main router.

If this works well via Ethernet, then you can narrow it down back to the current WiFi chip.

I forget what use case I had to replicate at this time. YMMV, but just an option versus tearing and soldering. Don't go out and buy one just for this purpose. Just if you have one lying around...

tplink.png

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...rds=small+travel+router&qid=1595369293&sr=8-6

nano.png
I tried this mode already using an Asus wireless repeater, since my router is Asus also. First 30mins is good, but suddenly it will drop the connection. Tried many times still the same happened. I cannot prove whethet it is the problem of the repeater, or 2go, or the competibility between them. Now just give up this ethernet connection

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #3,448 of 6,314
So far, I'm not having any major issues streaming 192k through the 2go with the 1.03 firmware. My Netgear router is close, and doesn't have anything on the 2.4 GHz band (or shouldn't -- everything should connect to the 5 Ghz band first) and there are only 2 other routers using the same channel anywhere nearby. Streaming from Roon, I've had one brief drop-out during the last half-an-hour or so. My Mac Mini, which has the Roon library on it, shows Roon as sending about 1.2 MB/sec (96 Mbit/sec).

I'll try again in the evening when the neighbours are more likely to be active and see if there is any difference.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #3,449 of 6,314
So far, I'm not having any major issues streaming 192k through the 2go with the 1.03 firmware. My Netgear router is close, and doesn't have anything on the 2.4 GHz band (or shouldn't -- everything should connect to the 5 Ghz band first) and there are only 2 other routers using the same channel anywhere nearby. Streaming from Roon, I've had one brief drop-out during the last half-an-hour or so. My Mac Mini, which has the Roon library on it, shows Roon as sending about 1.2 MB/sec (96 Mbit/sec).

I'll try again in the evening when the neighbours are more likely to be active and see if there is any difference.
sounds about right for your current config... now bump to 384

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #3,450 of 6,314
YES 2GO is rasberry PI

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH. Is this for real? A $1300 rasberry PI. What a huge rip-off.

No wonder my Samsung 4K TV has been making Chord look like a joke as it is competing against dirt cheap rasberry PI devices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back