Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #4,757 of 6,290
I hear you, but that doesn’t jibe with what I’m experiencing — H2go NOT connected to my home WiFi, receiving stream (Spotify) from my iPad. Doesn’t work until I pair withe the ‘second’ Bluetooth device.

Also, I see this:

... in the Wikipedia article on AirPlay:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay

From the last link you provided:

AirPlay and AirTunes work over Wi-Fi. Originally, devices had to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network, but since iOS 8 devices can use Wi-Fi Direct and thus does not require an existing Wi-Fi network.[23]

So, for Airplay to work, it is either connected to a wifi network, or it is using a wifi direct protocol.
I hear you, but that doesn’t jibe with what I’m experiencing — H2go NOT connected to my home WiFi, receiving stream (Spotify) from my iPad. Doesn’t work until I pair withe the ‘second’ Bluetooth device.

Also, I see this:

... in the Wikipedia article on AirPlay:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay
Here is what you are missing.

It's true that Bluetooth devices supporting the A2DP profile will be listed as Airplay receivers. But, the communication protocol between the ios device and the Bluetooth speaker is BLUETOOTH, NOT Airplay. You are indeed linking your iPad to your 2Go using Bluetooth, not Airplay. Airplay and Bluetooth are completely different communications protocols. Airplay uses Wifi either in a network or Wifi direct.

In other words, you have the world's most expensive Bluetooth DAC for streaming Spotify.

===========================

This is from the Apple Support site:

Airplay mirroring with a bluetooth speaker?
I have a bluetooth speaker. When it's connected, in my music player I have the airplay icon showing. It lets me choose between using the built in speakers on my iPad 2 or the connected bluetooth speaker. I would like to play through both if possible? All the help files refer to Wi-Fi connected devices - does Airplay mirroring work with bluetooth?

ANSWER:

First, BT A2DP (the transfer you use) and AirPlay have nothing to do with each other - other than they are listed in the same menu.

This also means it's A2DP that is used to transfer audio to your Bluetooth receiver, not AirPlay. Even the cases it can be used are vastly different: for example, it's not possible to route the Skype audio output to your BT headphones / speakers, while it's routed by default via AirPlay if it's on. Furthermore, the audio output of video players that cannot send their content via Bluetooth at all (an example: HD Player Pro http://itunes.apple.com/app/hd-player-pro/id429610228?mt=8 ) is played back over AirPlay just fine.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #4,758 of 6,290
I don't know why a wired network wont work with Airplay. I'm streaming from my iPhone via Airplay to the Hugo 2go via Airplay and the 2go is connected via ethernet. As far as I know, the 2go wont connect to two networks at the same time.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #4,759 of 6,290
After a lot of time trying to make it work I’m finally very happy with 2go. For me without knowledge about network it has been a big investment in time. But now I’m very glad I did it.

it’s been a lot of confusing time and sometimes I just gave up a few day’s. For example when trying to make MPD playlists. Everything seamed to work fine making them. But then they didn’t show in Gofigure app. I thought I tried everything but still no good. Then I tried to update radio stations and after that update MPD playlists. And suddenly it worked. Then I noticed that if I waited about 20 sek or something like that screen still saying “ There is no playlists” it started to search for the playlist by it self.

Thats one of many little confusing examples in my journey to a smile on my face when now enjoying it tremendously and so happy I didn’t give up.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #4,762 of 6,290
I don't know why a wired network wont work with Airplay. I'm streaming from my iPhone via Airplay to the Hugo 2go via Airplay and the 2go is connected via ethernet. As far as I know, the 2go wont connect to two networks at the same time.
Airplay was designed for streaming audio and video over a wifi network like in a house to a TV or speaker. I am not sure what you can do with the ethernet port on the 2go. The obvious purpose is to connect to it so that you can provision it. It might be usable for data transport in lieu of wifi. But if that is the case, you won't be using Airplay. Probably DNLA. Ill have to do some research.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #4,763 of 6,290
After last nights discussion about Airplay, I decided to try to connect to my 2go using Airplay. I was able to make it work. It sounds pretty good. Not as good as DNLA, but acceptable. I am very happy about this. It will enable me to run the Tidal app on my iPhone and play downloaded music. I have a pocket router, so I can make this use case work even if there is bad or no wifi in the area I am at which isn't unusual. I know it is Airplay over wifi because the 2go and my iPHone are connected to the same wifi network and the Bluetooth connection to the 2go is off.

I'll have to test it out later using the 2go hotspot for the case when there is no wifi network available and I don't want to use my pocket router..

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #4,764 of 6,290
Airplay was designed for streaming audio and video over a wifi network like in a house to a TV or speaker. I am not sure what you can do with the ethernet port on the 2go. The obvious purpose is to connect to it so that you can provision it. It might be usable for data transport in lieu of wifi. But if that is the case, you won't be using Airplay. Probably DNLA. Ill have to do some research.

That is non-sense. I have devices connected via ethernet and Airplay 2 works on them. If Airplay doesn’t work via ethernet with the 2GO, then it looks to be a Chord thing.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #4,765 of 6,290
That is non-sense. I have devices connected via ethernet and Airplay 2 works on them. If Airplay doesn’t work via ethernet with the 2GO, then it looks to be a Chord thing.
Networking is very complicated and confusing. What I claim about Airplay is true. It was indeed designed as a wireless wifi communication protocol for Apple devices to stream to each other on a wifi network. But, as the product was used, it had to be modified based on how its customers were using it. First, they had to enhance it to support point to point connections. They accommodated this through an enhancement called Peer-to-peer Airplay.

https://appletoolbox.com/connect-appletv-without-wifi-how-to/

This allowed 2 devices to use the Airplay protocols to transfer data without a network. It does so by using Bluetooth to set up a point to point connection that is actually a wifi direct connection. It's still wifi, just not networked.

Ethernet is just a connection medium or lower level protocol stack. The actual original requirement was that the end points be on the same local area network. You can be on a local area network by wifi or ethernet. You just need a router than can assign IP addresses like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.10. Since it was originally designed for wifi, there are some quirks in using ethernet. When Airplay starts up, it looks for the devices on wifi. If there is no wifi network, then it looks to ethernet. Sometimes you need to forget the wifi networks so that airplay knows to look for devices on ethernet. This part can fail and is a non-standard part of the protocol which is why it doesn't always work properly Airplay works best when it is used as originally designed which is when the end points are on a common wifi network.

The A2DP issue is simply a reality that there are devices out there that an Apple device needs to send data to. A2DP was a hack that enables Airplay users to be able to see their bluetooth and airplay receivers on the same menu. Can you imagine if you needed to search in 2 different places to connect to Bluetooth speakers vs. headphones? It was a technical accommodation to meet an end user need even though it technically doesn't use the Airplay transfer protocols.

None of this contradicts my initial assertion that Airplay only operates over Wifi. It either works over a wifi network or uses Wifi direct over a point to point connection.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #4,766 of 6,290
Well, I violated my own rule of "if it ain't broken, don't break it." My Hugo 2 and 2go were working smoothly over wifi with the 2go as DNLA renderer and with Airplay over my home network. Then, I decided to try to get Airplay to work in hotspot mode and all hell broke loose. First, I didn't know the hotspot password so I had to fiture out how to reset it. When that didnt work, I needed to reset factory settings. Then, as I set it up, using the provisioning wizard, the 2go hung up and seemed to brick on me. I thought I killed it. After 2 hours of trying to get it to come back to life, I finally figured out that holding down the configuration button for long enough would reset the 2go and it booted up. After re-provisioning the entire 2go, I got both DNLA and Airplay to work again. I think I will defer on trying to get the hotspot to work again.

However, I think this may provide a solution path for our friend who was thinking he was using Airplay over Bluetooth. I had the same problem where DNLA would work, but Airplay stopped working. It was all configured properly, but I could not get a data stream to play over the Hugo 2go. But, after I reset the 2go to factory settings and reprovisioned it, it worked like before. I would give that a try because Airplay should work fine over your home network.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #4,767 of 6,290
as one who owns the dave, the blu2, the hugo 2 and mojo and who pre ordered the 2 go I truly dont know why people put up with this absurdity

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #4,768 of 6,290
Still can't get Airplay to work on the 2go. I tried a factory reset via app and through the voice prompts. Configured wireless in the gofigure app and unsuccessful on both attempts. I confirmed that Airplay does indeed work from both my iPhone and iPad by streaming content to my appletv. I find it odd since it was working fine a few weeks ago, with no recent changes to the wireless/wired network.
I'm able to see 2go as an option in the Airplay drop down, select it, shows playing but no sound or indication on the Hugo2 via sample rate light which should show red.

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #4,769 of 6,290
The news are good from Chord :
The software of the 2yu is testing today.
My Chord Ultima 6 is constructed but the foots are missing.

Did you hear this from Chord directly, or from your dealer perhaps? My dealer said that Chord is in lockdown again and we won’t see the 2yu until the end of the first quarter 2021. I only ask because I hear conflicting things about the 2yu release. Thanks.

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #4,770 of 6,290
Still can't get Airplay to work on the 2go. I tried a factory reset via app and through the voice prompts. Configured wireless in the gofigure app and unsuccessful on both attempts. I confirmed that Airplay does indeed work from both my iPhone and iPad by streaming content to my appletv. I find it odd since it was working fine a few weeks ago, with no recent changes to the wireless/wired network.
I'm able to see 2go as an option in the Airplay drop down, select it, shows playing but no sound or indication on the Hugo2 via sample rate light which should show red.
This is the exact behavior I experienced. It only started working after I thought I killed it and held down the configuration button for about 30 seconds and it appeared to reboot the 2go. Now it works as it is supposed to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back